Commonwealth of Virginia Employee Reviews

Exciting and challenging place to work.
Registered Nurse/Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 15, 2017
I cared for antepartums, labor patients, operative cases, and postpartum mothers and babies. It was wonderful to be a part of such a transitional time in an individuals life.
Fast pace and fun work environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond VirginiaOctober 9, 2017
I love working for the Commonwealth Of Virginia because they give you a chance to grow in their environment and to hire your employment status friendly management and team players
Pros
Good team players
Cons
Not enough work
Fair, plus I had money coming in.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Capron, VASeptember 9, 2017
The jobs was't to bad. I had the opportunity to learn a trade while I work. The management was good. The hardest part was the busiest part of the day.
Pros
no comment
Cons
no comment
Balanced Work
Special Work Crew Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Haynesville, VA 22472September 3, 2017
This is when I was incarcerated by the State and worked my job. It was a balanced work environment and a learning experience. I did the jobs as instructed by my supervisor and took pride in a job well done.
Productive environment
Program Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 29, 2017
I was the only secretary for 13 Engineers. I thoroughly enjoyed the job and the friendships I developed while working there,. One of the engineers became a good friend and even invited me to attend his church because my church was having problems keeping a pastor that the deacons could work with
productive in work invoronment
COOK (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAAugust 13, 2017
Its a good review about the job. I am interested in the opportunity to work for the company. It seems like a good work environment..I would love to work for this company. I love the benefits that they have. Its a great place to work at and a good company to work for. I would enjoy working for them.
Pros
good place to work at
Cons
short breaks
Fun Work place
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Doswell, VAAugust 8, 2017
Cedar Fair Kings Dominion was a wonderful company to work for. Compensation for a Team Lead and/or Supervisor was great, but require about 80 hours a week. This job is demanding and fast past. Must be able to work with different personalities and races whether it be staff or customers.
Pros
4 free tickets, discount tickets, 4 free haunt tickets, and free access to park on days off.
Cons
Short breaks, 80 hour work weeks
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAAugust 2, 2017
Good work environment fast paced can advance in company. People friendly and helpful. Mixture of culture. People come from all over to work for the commonwealth of Virginia. Able to obtain certifications and awards through the company
Pros
Free food
Cons
Worked on weekends
Great co workers
Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 28, 2017
The state has a nice health insurance and benefits package. Management is easy to get along with and will work with you. It takes a while to advance here.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
no place to advance
Was able to move up in job
Housekeeping, Transition and Teaching Asst (Former Employee) –  Troy, VAJuly 12, 2017
Did filing, typing, and computer data entry. Start of my day was 9:00 am until 3:00 pm. Helping ex-offenders with release information in order to adapt back into society.

Want to know more about Commonwealth of Virginia?

Ask a question
Home away from Home.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJune 26, 2017
Serve approximaly 900 men three meals a day with respect and a smile. Prepared special diets for those with health issues. Setup and filled the serving line with different types of food products. Kept the kitchen, dinning room, bathroom and dishwasher clean and ready for inspection.
great company
Unemployment Claim Specialist (Former Employee) –  South Boston, VAJune 13, 2017
very friendly staff very helpful, great place to work , would recommend to a friend in the future, off on the weekends, and legal holidays, overtime hours
Productive and busy work place
Custodian/Farmworker (Former Employee) –  Jarratt, VAJune 4, 2017
This job was an experience well learned. It was hard work and I felt like I was overworked with not enough pay. I enjoy working, but I would like to be compensated fairly for being a hard working individual.
it was productive
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Powhatan, VAMay 20, 2017
working for this company i have learned how to be very productive and enjoyed the pepole i worked with.i would like to learn more about the job,and to advance.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short brakes
Manual labor
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Capron, VAMay 12, 2017
hard work no matter rain sleet or snow. teachers you extremely well and dont mind giving you a chance if you dont know the field. the management where good most of the time. extremely respectful
better management needed
Child Support Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 8, 2017
Working for the state you are not in an environment that encourages advancement or creative thinking. you are told to do and you do it. There is no room for improvement of processes and they do not take suggestions.
Pros
steady paycheck
Cons
no room for advancement and do not encourage it
Bunch of idiots
Juvenile Facilty worker (Current Employee) –  Bon Air, VAApril 20, 2017
Worked for DJJ for several years. The new mission is awesome, but unfortunately they kept too many of the old staff to make it work like it should. Very hatefilled environment if you are not part the click. A lot of racial tension.
Benefits
Cons
Many top administrators and veteran staff that don't want things to change.
Good pay and benefits, but not an enjoyable place to work.
Food Operations Manager Assistant (Current Employee) –  Big Stone Gap, VAApril 17, 2017
Pay and benefits are great for the area I live in, but work schedule is almost constantly changing, at times to the point of working 8 days straight, 6 Of which are 12 Hour shifts before getting a day off. Unable to schedule and keep appointments, such as doctor appointments, due to being told to schedule them to be on days off andschedule changing so often that I am unable to schedule an appointment for a day off since I Dont know what days I will be off two weeks from now, much less 2-3 months from now. Management tends to blame people for stuff being done wrong when they weren't even working, management tends to play "favorites". No room for advancement without relocating. No "real" raises, every time we get a raise the cost of our mandatory pretax fees such as insurances increases to the point of taking all of our increase in wages. Forced to put down that we take a 30 minute lunch break even if we do not take one, which we very seldom get to do. On the floor for 8-12 hours a day with convicted murderers and most of the time our radio's do not work which makes it even more dangerous than it should be.
Pros
medical insurance
Cons
work schedule changes, told when we can use vacation time, not enough compensation for working a very dangerous job, "backstabbing", lack of communication, the only equipment we have to rely on (radio) If something happens doesn't work most of the time
Productive and fun work place
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, VAMarch 31, 2017
The hardest part of a job is working with people who dont want to train you how to the job correctly. And working with people with an attitude. The most enjoyable thing is eirkung with good people.
Pros
Free lunches, etc.
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare, etc.
work
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  DC, DCMarch 27, 2017
•Explored National Student Clearinghouse (NSC), Department of Education (DOE) and Adult Education (AE) dataset of over than 10GB using Tableau, R, and HTML
• Compared postsecondary performance and completion rates among high school and General Education graduates
• Performed statistical analyses to identify differences in performance among different age groups, genders, and race
• Conducted data cleaning and created interactive methods to visualize results using Tableau
• Authored report to help agency improve its efficiency, effectiveness and performance