Commonwealth of Virginia Employee Reviews

Product place to work, learning experience a plus, great coworkers
EXECUTIVE LEGAL AIDE (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 17, 2017
I learned something new everyday. My supervisor was very knowledgeable and easy to work for, as well as my coworkers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the overall satisfaction that I would have at the end of each workday.
entertaining and organized
Property Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 16, 2017
Good opportunity for the right person, the work is routine and you really have to want to be there to be there. everyday is different and you will have to adjust accordingly.
Pros
flexible
Cons
inconsistent
Interesting people and the environment changes daily
Student/Labor Technician (Former Employee) –  Jarratt, VAJanuary 10, 2017
This job is exactly what you put into it, nothing more and nothing less. As long as you come to work and do your job, you can thrive in this atmosphere. Give them an honest day's work and they will give you an honest day's wage.
Real Estate Sales
Licensed Real Estate Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 4, 2017
The potential is there to make good money. You get to meet lots of new people. You need to know a large group of people to get this business rolling.
Decent
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, VADecember 10, 2016
Co-workers were good if you wanted advice. Management was not so great if they did not like you. The hardest part about the job was not management not taking responsibility leaving employees hanging on limb if things were not done by policy. The things that I enjoy is seeing my clients improve day by day in order to be released back into society.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Lack of insitutional and job security
good loving work place with the best lunch in town
Landscaper (Former Employee) –  cheasapeakeDecember 5, 2016
works will with others, listens, follows orders, polite,and hard worker a typical day at work is fun and exciting I learned how to make the next day even more productive most of my co-workers feel the same way the hardest part of the job is leaving for the day the most enjoyable part is coming to work
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Passionate People with great structure.
Administrative and Program Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 25, 2016
A typical day, I would open headquarters at 7:45am, start the coffee, or do a coffee run, turn on the phones, machines etc, take stock of supplies, depending on the day of the week the case loads would go from light to heavy. Dealing with Calls, faxes, data, students on a constant basis. I learned great patience. Worked under a good management, everything ran smoothly. Well rounded co workers. Hardest part of the job was getting bogged down on a Friday afternoon with files from every department, while some would leave early and I was always the last one to leave and lock up headquarters. Seeing the ChalleNGe students be successful and move on to bright futures was always the most enjoyable part of the job.
So for so good.
Computer Operations Tech II (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAAugust 3, 2016
It is good to work at NOVA, our Manassas Campus is great. I just want to go with company where I can grow my career too.
Pay is not that bad, coworkers are very cooperative.
Only issue us, less opportunities to grow with the company.
a slow working in envorinmental
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 23, 2016
The culture is in the 1950's. the people are not educated property to serve the in the security, and should not be in there at all.
Pros
Its quite
Cons
no transit
Vabc
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, Burke, Greenbriar, Chantilly, OaktonApril 20, 2016
i enjoyed the work experience and was rewarded for my effort. i advanced through the ranks from clerk to acting assistant manager to assistant store manager C class store. (c lass meant the store was also had warehouse status because of mine and the other employees efforts to make our store the best in the area.)
after running the store i was promoted through i was sent to other stores as the VABC was expanding at the time and as an assistant manager i trained a half dozen other store managers. and opened as many on my own
Pros
pay, vacation, 401k, medical benefits through the state, paid holidays, sundays off
Cons
no overtime as i was salaried
Productive and easy going workplace
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Goochland, VAApril 1, 2016
A typical day for me is to be productive and do my job to the best of my ability. I am a very quick learner. I am a outgoing person that gets along with anybody.
Department of Juvenile Justice
Senior Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 21, 2016
DJJ has been a very good organization to me. They encourage training and education. The work environment is friendly and allows a flexible schedule. Teleworking is encouraged. I work with the executive level of management. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that I work with. The most challenging, also enjoyable, aspects of the job are the deadlines.
Pros
Flexible schedule and benefits
Cons
Easy to get along with the people in the envirnment
Custodial Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Powhatan, VAMarch 4, 2016
If you are a person that is willing to work. this would be the place for you. There are various different personalities that one must be able to deal with. Very multicultural. You have different backgrounds of people who all have different opinions then you. So, you must know how to deal with people.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Unable to climb up in ranks
Life of a Stylst
Licensed Cosmetologist, VA (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 25, 2016
Long days of hard work on your feet to provide styles clients are trying to obtain. With any job there are good and bad days but very rewarding.
adequate to above nuturing work evironment
Asist. Instuct. Sheet Metal Fabric. (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 22, 2016
The company is routine to the point that the redundancy produced great efficiency. I acquired great understanding of people and their benefit to the team concept. Ironically, the difficulties that I experienced at or within the company were self imposed, and thus easily resolvable. I truly enjoyed the opportunity to learn from such experienced individuals, and fortunate to have earned their trust to the point that they permitted to instruct others.
Was a challenging Job.
Education Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 10, 2015
Enjoyed helping and teaching people new words on a daily basis. It was a real hands on job. I like the challenges of getting people to use their minds and to challenge themselves to do better.
learning how to use equipment.
Production/Landscaper/Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 23, 2015
Learning how to use a weed eater and how to cut grass as well was very fun for me. Also, driving a tractor as well. Learning how to use measurement as well.
Pros
working with people
Cons
working in cold weather
great people
Fiscal Technican Senior (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 12, 2015
I love the job and the people were great and I learned alot of things to take thru life and too another job,and i learned new accounting softwares and Cardinal the new accounting software for the state.
Overworked people
Probation/Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 26, 2015
Too many cases for officers. Gossip among the supervisors.Co workers were very supportive. Recidivism staying the same.Clients are very needy and homeless people need more shelters.
Pros
off holidays
Cons
flooding
Provided great one on one training
Disability Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 22, 2015
This job was challenging and my supervisor and seasoned analysts were readily available for questions and reviews I enjoyed interacting with my coworkers and my clients. The timely report writing and record review was challenging.
Pros
Supervisor support
Cons
Work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Commonwealth of Virginia. Our community is ready to answer.

Commonwealth of Virginia Reviews by Location