Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews

Not for disabled individuals
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  OhioJune 1, 2017
I only worked here a short time but they will only accommodate you in training and on the floor. If you are visually impaired you'll be expected to pass a test as if you are totally blind. You WILL NOT be accommodated for testing AT ALL. It is stressful so you need to be mentally prepared to be surveyed and tested all the time for the FCC.
Pros
kind coworkers, understanding management
Cons
stressful, mentally draining, uncertain hours, lack of accommodations, for the disabled unable to tell the difference between light disability and severe
Not great.
Captioning assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 29, 2017
Management is unaproachable and unfriendly. Bathroom breaks are not excused time off of the call floor which is ridiculous. Tedious work but compensation doesn't really match what is expected of you. Basically they sell you a dream when you start then rip it away after training. May the odds be ever in your favor.
Cons
There are some people who are cut out for this job... but not many.
Communication Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 12, 2017
The people at work are nice (your coworkers and management), but the callers rarely are. They take you for granted, quite often swear at you, and you have to relay everything exactly as said and typed (which is easier said than done). I love helping people and doing basic customer service, but you really don't seem to feel like you can do that here. If you're going to work for CSD, apply as a Captioning Assistant. You can't transfer until both departments are at capacity, and with such a high turnover rate, they never are.

If you like to be robotic and just do the same thing over and over and over again, and things don't get to you? Take this job. But if you like to feel like you're helping people, and like you're actually a person, and like you're doing something worthwhile (and if callers -- more often than not, honestly -- getting incredibly annoyed and angry at you can get to you)? Don't take this job. Please.
Works well with schedule
Communications Assistant (Current Employee) –  Moorhead, MNApril 26, 2017
I'm able to work full time and go to school full time due to the ease at which CSD does their schedules. They're open 24 hours, and you can work anywhere between 16 and 40 hours a week. There are also overtime hours often available.
Fun
Call/Voice-Over Agent (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAFebruary 10, 2017
I loved working for the call center because it was the first time working in that type of setting and doing that type of work. I truly was humbled by each caller I helped
Pros
everything
Not all what it seems
Ruby on Rails Developer (govineya.com) (Former Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 22, 2017
Remote developers should be careful. While the development team was mostly good guys, the company's desire is to have someone on site. I was one of the original developers for one of their flagship applications and was courted to join as an FTE vs continue contracting. I was promised that I could remain remote, but after the team grew they felt they had leverage to ask if I would relocate my family. After declining to do so, things seemed to go well until I was released after they found someone to sit onsite.

Company was ok, just not for remote developers.
Pros
Friendly team of developers
Cons
Untrustworthy management
pays good but not the best
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 29, 2016
a typical day there is clocking in and sitting there for hours captioning calls with only either two 15 minute breaks or 1 30 minute break, restroom breaks have to be no longer than 5 mins total and the restroom there is always dirty. there you learn to repeat what is being said through your headset, management is okay, they do try to help the best they can but it takes them forever to get back to you, adn if your sick or kids are sick good luck not getting points unless you have a note to cover each day gone or days gone on one note, it also uses a sick day so theres that, they have rules they dont really explain in training so be sure to ask alot of questions. co workers are okay but if you dont take a shift for them they dont take shifts for you its hard to find someone to take shifts or cover for you. nothing was hard about it nothing was enjoyable about it besides the pay which you could get a good check if you work 24/7 and have no life outside work, if you do dont expect a giant check just enough to pay your bills and thats it.
Cons
rules
same as before
ASL Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 22, 2016
this company was easy to work with and had a great tech interface to work scheduling and billing. i was grateful for the seamless experience
Worst location to work at
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 7, 2016
I wouldnt recommend anyone to work here, it was very dangerous on sundays & management was very unorganized.
Fast paced, productive environment
Call Captioning Representative (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 24, 2016
A typical day is to take anywhere between 100-200 calls in a working day, for me it was more like 200-300 because I was also taking Escalation (supervisor) calls. The job was hard, had some really rough people to deal with. I was a billing and technical support specialist in the Comcast Video department. In the mornings I would answer calls for trouble shooting mostly. People who couldn't get their TV's to work. I would promptly fix their issue, or send out a technician. In the afternoons the calls were mostly billing issues, this was when all the hard and rough to deal with people called in, needing help with their bills or their services restored, needing payment plans and extensions. I also helped floor support and Pride as well. The management is not good. They are hard on their employees, and a lot of them just didn't care, gave really bad attitudes and such. The employees were great, a lot of really great people worked there. The most enjoyable part of the day was either lunch time or when I got off.
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
management.
Providing a helping hand
Assistant Supervisor / Relay Operator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 21, 2016
The disabled and handicapped are still forgotten by some in society. Im proud to be able to help these people as well as also having the opportunity to educate others.
Great Working Deaf Environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2016
I have worked at CSD for a short time now and everyday I look forward to a new day here. My previous job was not accommodating; CSD has provided that understanding that accommodations are needed by people (who need them) to preform their jobs to the highest of quality. My language is ASL and to have my community in my workplace is highly rewarding in my opinion. It makes going to work easier, more stimulating, more motivated to get the work done, and more.

I absolutely love working here and the people I work with!
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Parking, welcoming of ideas
Cons
None.
Productive and fun workplace!
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2016
A huge benefit of working at CSD is being a part of a great team full of inspirational leaders working together for a greater goal within and outside the deaf community.
Pros
Great team, great environment and great vision!
Felt good about the work I did
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SC 29033February 10, 2016
This was relaying calls for the deaf. It was a small company with a family atmosphere. We had some deaf supervisors who were truly amazing.
Pros
computer systems and programs that are very capable and user friendly
Independence required
Relay Operator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 9, 2015
Felt like a relaxed environment so long as your work was being done. It is a positive experience to provide a service for someone knowing its for the better good. I would work for this company again if the opportunity were available.
nice place to work with weekends off
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 23, 2015
flexible hours, management that was promoted in house, and faculty events such as potluck and hula. flexible with attendance and gave easy access to benefits such as health, dental, and vision.
Pros
free lunch at least once a month
Cons
very strict work policies, not enough break time for the work you do
Official response from Communication Service for the Deaf
October 2, 2015

So glad you are enjoying your time here at CSD. Keep up the good work taking care of our customers!

Highly Innovation for Deaf Company
Video Producer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Working on video editing, creating motion graphic to market the latest product and given education about it, developing scripts for upcoming production is a typical day at work. It was so fun to work with co-workers because they surely know how to have fun while working and communication was so efficiency. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep on the top of the game with limitation genre on making videos.
Great place to work if you are Deaf
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Arguably one of the most Deaf-friendly environments, CSD is a great place for people who are Deaf and want to use or raise their skills in technology.

I was only required to work out of the office 3 days a week with Thursday and Friday being optional work-from-home days.

Management and Executive-Level choices are chaotic though, often taking workers along for the ride of poor decision making.

When I'd started to learn new skills and wanted to apply them, I found myself both stuck in my original position and the only way to use those new skills was to go get a new job. Same for getting a promotion. My desire to apply my growing skills in new places was met with resistance and eventually lead to my departure.

A very old-school company who has just introduced a software department. They are still learning their way around.
Pros
ASL friendly environment. A kitchen with emergency _FOOD_ instead of snacks
Cons
Chaotic directions making long-term or career planning impossible.
Syracuse Call Center
Operator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse NYJanuary 30, 2015
This place is a joke. Not appreciated by management or the deaf community. Always changes taking place and not for the better, without informing employees. Any paltry perks constantly being taken away. Management always looking for what you are doing wrong, never right.
Pros
Anything pro has been taken away from the employees.
Cons
Stated in summary
Great job, but management makes it a nightmare
communications assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 29, 2014
Helping the deaf to communicate on the phone is rewarding because I felt I could make a difference. The management rarely gives the praise and raises in pay that were promised to good workers in the training sessions. It felt so micro-managed and round about answers to questions on basic policy, pay etc. that it just became not worth the headache of continuing with the job. It was too bad because I truly did enjoy the job itself. Management is just not on the ball here.
Pros
helping the deaf community
Cons
Management, pay rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Communication Service for the Deaf. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9