Communication Service for the Deaf

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews in United States

Great Working Deaf Environment
Customer Experience Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2016
I have worked at CSD for a short time now and everyday I look forward to a new day here. My previous job was not accommodating; CSD has provided that understanding that accommodations are needed by people (who need them) to preform their jobs to the highest of quality. My language is ASL and to have my community in my workplace is highly rewarding in my opinion. It makes going to work easier, more stimulating, more motivated to get the work done, and more.

I absolutely love working here and the people I work with!
Pros
Benefits, PTO, Parking, welcoming of ideas
Cons
None.
nice place to work with weekends off
Captioning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 23, 2015
flexible hours, management that was promoted in house, and faculty events such as potluck and hula. flexible with attendance and gave easy access to benefits such as health, dental, and vision.
Pros
free lunch at least once a month
Cons
very strict work policies, not enough break time for the work you do

Comment – October 2, 2015

So glad you are enjoying your time here at CSD. Keep up the good work taking care of our customers!

Great place to work if you are Deaf
QA Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 1, 2015
Arguably one of the most Deaf-friendly environments, CSD is a great place for people who are Deaf and want to use or raise their skills in technology.

I was only required to work out of the office 3 days a week with Thursday and Friday being optional work-from-home days.

Management and Executive-Level choices are chaotic though, often taking workers along for the ride of poor decision making.

When I'd started to learn new skills and wanted to apply them, I found myself both stuck in my original position and the only way to use those new skills was to go get a new job. Same for getting a promotion. My desire to apply my growing skills in new places was met with resistance and eventually lead to my departure.

A very old-school company who has just introduced a software department. They are still learning their way around.
Pros
asl friendly environment. a kitchen with emergency _food_ instead of snacks
Cons
chaotic directions making long-term or career planning impossible.
Productive and Rewarding Place to work
Director of Budget and Financial Analysis (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasNovember 18, 2014
CSD gave me a wonderful opportunity to work for a company that care about the community and also gave me a sense that I was giving something back. I have nothing but good memories and a much better understanding of the deaf culture because I was part of the CSD Family. I knew when I took the job at CSD that this was challenge for me on both fronts, professional and personal and because of these challenges I feel I am a better person. I have nothing but gratitude for my time here at CSD. I enjoy working with every body from the President and CEO of the company to the agents.
Pros
free coffee and asl clasess, oppourtity to participate in community activites
Cons
benefits are adeqate
Great job, but management makes it a nightmare
communications assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 29, 2014
Helping the deaf to communicate on the phone is rewarding because I felt I could make a difference. The management rarely gives the praise and raises in pay that were promised to good workers in the training sessions. It felt so micro-managed and round about answers to questions on basic policy, pay etc. that it just became not worth the headache of continuing with the job. It was too bad because I truly did enjoy the job itself. Management is just not on the ball here.
Pros
helping the deaf community
Cons
management, pay rate
Providing a helping hand
Assistant Supervisor / Relay Operator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 21, 2016
The disabled and handicapped are still forgotten by some in society. Im proud to be able to help these people as well as also having the opportunity to educate others.
Empowering and work together as world turn.
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJune 2, 2014
CSD has empowered me a lot of opportunities that I haven't gotten at anyplace. I was being delegated to take the important roles of responsibilities and duties as well as take many hats on varies of other responsibilities. Being Facilities/Project manager which I often faced being on the middle of several sides as well as trying to meet the deadlines. CSD is relying on the modern technology which created some hectic challenges on every part.
Pros
cultural friendly, great buildings, being empowered, fun events, plenty business opportunities and flexible schedule
Cons
health benefits and retirement, no raise for 10 years, and disoriented management
terrible company
communication assistant (Former Employee) –  syracuse, nyJanuary 8, 2014
Coworkers are great! Sadly management and the constant miscommunication from them, lack of effective leadership and low pay and ridiculous "benefits" make this place not worth it.. Not by a long shot.

Helping the deaf and hard of hearing is also a plus, but newer technology (email, texting) is making more and more people shy away from tty machines and 3rd parties (you the operator) being on the line.

All in all, stay away. Its a hassle, the promised 3 month raises told to u in training are NEVER given (they'll say ANYTHING to justify why they aren't given too) and after 2 years in this dead end job i can honestly say just stay away.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management management management!
Excellent place to work!
HQ Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 3, 2014
CSD is a wonderful company with a positive and dedicated workforce. It is a nonprofit organization that is really committed to providing a variety of services and increasing public awareness of issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing individuals. It has been a joy to learn the about the distinct culture of the deaf community.
Pros
productive, treated with respect, supportive management team, gratifying job
Cons
non-profit so benefits, retirement and pay are not competitive.
Productive and fun workplace!
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2016
A huge benefit of working at CSD is being a part of a great team full of inspirational leaders working together for a greater goal within and outside the deaf community.
Pros
Great team, great environment and great vision!
Felt good about the work I did
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SC 29033February 10, 2016
This was relaying calls for the deaf. It was a small company with a family atmosphere. We had some deaf supervisors who were truly amazing.
Pros
computer systems and programs that are very capable and user friendly
Great place to work that gives back to the community!
Headquarters Employee (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 23, 2014
CSD has been in existence for nearly 40 years and has recently undergone a huge change - a new CEO for the first time in the company's history; a move of the company headquarters from Sioux Falls, SD to Austin, TX; and a new vision for what the company wants to become.

Originally started as a human services organization, CSD has pivoted towards becoming a technology provider, creating new and innovative technology solutions that benefit the Deaf, hard of hearing, and global communities. New opportunities are underway, including partnering with international organizations and launching new products to the global community.

Everybody's work experience at CSD is different. I work at CSD headquarters and feel very connected to the work the company does. The staff are friendly and supportive, and I go to work everyday feeling like the work I do benefits those in need. CSD's agents and remote employees have their own experience and may not feel as connected to the overall company mission.
Pros
exceptional leadership team, beautiful headquarters, feeling part of an organization that gives back to the community
Cons
because csd is a nonprofit, compensation and benefits are not as competitive as big-name companies
Don't waste your time here if you want respect for your work.
Communications Relay Operator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 3, 2012
No respect for employees especially if they become ill or disabled at work. Praise is a rarity. Management only cares about keeping the phone lines moving-frequent pay docks for tardiness. First absence always docked permanently on employee record. Poor insurance coverage-I don't recommend anyone work here longer than 2 months.
Independence required
Relay Operator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 9, 2015
Felt like a relaxed environment so long as your work was being done. It is a positive experience to provide a service for someone knowing its for the better good. I would work for this company again if the opportunity were available.
Fun! If you like constant miscommunication and wrong information
Operator (Former Employee) –  SyracuseFebruary 16, 2013
now, im all for helping the deaf. Im a former employee that learned first hand that this place is to be avoided at all costs and that is thanks to its sad excuse for a management team. Its all "he said, she said" with this company and never any straight answers. I valued this job immensely, but the VERY low pay rate and seeing myself and other coworkers being treated like toddlers is just too much. No advancement opportunities and technology is horribly outdated. Basically, CSD is a big sinking ship thanks in part to texting, email that make communication for the deaf more convenient, but also the fact that the turnover rate is appalling. And THAT is thanks to being made to feel expendable and useless by "management"
Pros
solitary work spaces
Cons
payrate, management, policies... etc etc
Syracuse Call Center
Operator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse NYJanuary 30, 2015
This place is a joke. Not appreciated by management or the deaf community. Always changes taking place and not for the better, without informing employees. Any paltry perks constantly being taken away. Management always looking for what you are doing wrong, never right.
Pros
anything pro has been taken away from the employees.
Cons
stated in summary
Highly Innovation for Deaf Company
Video Producer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 10, 2015
Working on video editing, creating motion graphic to market the latest product and given education about it, developing scripts for upcoming production is a typical day at work. It was so fun to work with co-workers because they surely know how to have fun while working and communication was so efficiency. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep on the top of the game with limitation genre on making videos.
Customer Service Representative (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 12, 2014
A typical day at work would be answering phones and giving information about the program or needed assistant with the phones that they would have trouble with, and transferring calls to other representative also doing data entry with customers that were interested. I've learned that I need to be able to handle rude customers and do my best to handle it. My co-workers are nice as well get to meet new people. The hardest part of the job would be trying to understand customers that didn't really speak fluent English. The most enjoyable part of the job would be taking a little break after assisting calls after calls.
organized and well managed workplace
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAAugust 23, 2012
Typical day at work:
-answer phone calls and relay messages for the deaf, blind, or hard of hearing

Management:

Very organized and well structured. Allowed employees to choose their shifts for the months.

Co-Workers:

All very professional and work oriented.
Pros
good experience in customer service
Cons
managers weren't very friendly
Very flexible hours
Communication Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lemoore, CAMay 8, 2012
I really loved working at CSD. It was a really laid back and relaxing environment. It was a 24/7 open center so employees were able to pick their schedules however they wanted, depending on the center's needs and employees' seniority. I was a bilingual telephone operator so I had to relay both Spanish and English phone calls. It was challenging at times but I got through it. My co-workers were fantastic and fun to be around with.
I learned how to have patience. This job requires lots of patience. I also gained almost 5 years of telephone customer service skills which really helped me grow when it comes to communicating with people through the phone, sounding professional and showing respect.
The hardest part of the job was when the customers were rude to me, I've gotten yelled and cursed at and usually a supervisor would be called over but sometimes I decided to handle it on my own.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when the customers would thank me for being of service to them. They would say if it wasn't for our service, they wouldn't be able to communicate with the telephone world.
Pros
easygoing, relaxing atmosphere, flexible scheduling, fun activities
Cons
can't really think of any

2.8