Communities In Schools of Philadelphia, Inc. (CIS of Philadelphia), a charitable 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization, is the largest of nearly 200 local affiliates of Communities In Schools, Inc. (CIS), the nation’s leading dropout prevention organization.
The mission of Communities In Schools of Philadelphia, Inc. is to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
At Communities In Schools, everything we do is guided by the “Five Basics.” Developed by our founder Bill Milliken, the Five Basics are a set of essentials that every child needs and deserves.
1. A one on one relationship with a caring adult
2. A safe place to learn and grow
3. A healthy start and a healthy future
4. A marketable skill to use upon graduation
5. A chance to give back to peers and community – less