Communities In Schools

Communities In Schools Employer Reviews

C.I.S. Summary
Academic Liaison/Enrichment Specialist (Current Employee), Denton, TXFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: helping students all day
Cons: only part time
I have a great working environment, I have learned to adjust to many different personalities in the same room at one time. The hardest part of this job is having enough time to cover the entire lesson.
One on one case management for at risk youth; helping them achieve goals and stay in school.
On-Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: connections and relationships
Cons: short deadlines while learning a new data system; but it kept me on my toes.
I case managed 75+ students in high school, helping them stay on track to graduate while inking them with services and basic needs to succeed.

I learned the importance of knowing the community and its resources available. The importance of listening and documenting while writing case notes; you must have a clear understanding of needs to help and each student's personal needs vary. I also learned that being part of a team means being able to work dynamically and support each other.

I worked with one other On-Site Coordinator, she and I had a very open line of communication that made the job run smoothly. The friendship and support was immeasurable.

The hardest part of the job was not seeing students succeed, even though you had given the all the help you possibly could. It made me want to work hard and approach the individual student if various ways to break through to them just how important their high school years are.

The connections with students, co-workers, and school faculty that I made will stay with me forever. Watching my students succeed and be proud of themselves (especially when they had been told they couldn't) was the greatest feeling in working at Communities In Schools.
Motivating energetic environment around kids
Academic Enrichment Specialist II (Current Employee), Denton, TXJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: working with a driven team
Cons: limited amount of work hours and resources
We separate into classrooms with no more than 22 students and help them with homework, developing study skills and habits, and enrichment activities. We break after an hour and have club time where we split up into clubs that the students chose and get to choose which club they want to go to. It is a non profit operating on a government issued grant, so time, money and resources are limited. Our supervisor is strict but fair. She works with the team and the kids to make it a safe, fun and organized environment. My coworkers are energetic and easy to work with. We communicate well and enjoy being at work. Sometimes a difficult part of the job is managing certain behavior issues. I mostly enjoy learning and hanging with the students.
Excellent work/life balance
Site Coordinator (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: free health insurance, follow school holiday work schedule
Cons: distance
Every day you work individually/small groups with middle school students encouraging their academic success, as well as developing their self esteem and accountability to pursue a secondary education.
Excellent opportunity to influence connection of kids to the business community of mentors
Chairman (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: increased gpa's and graduation
Cons: parent involvement
Had the pleasure of building the organization into an independent non profit entity that was previously under the Chamber of Commerce. Established several programs with a professional board to provide school supplies and mentors to at risk kids. Effectively connected students to family members so that kids had continued assistance once they left school. It was difficult at time to find adults that could provide the time to mentor students, but the best part of the job was when there was a marked improvement in school work and graduation from middle and high school.
Great if you want to help children
Youth Development Worker (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MINovember 30, 2014
Pros: impacting lives, part time, some chances for more hours, free training
Cons: not enough pay
It was amazing to go in to work knowing you have a huge impact on a child's life. It is very rewarding. While the pay needs to be a lot better if you are looking for a part time job that allows you to make a difference here is a great one. Must be patient.
wonderful company to work for
Junior Servant Leaders (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PaNovember 5, 2014
i loved it. the enviroment was safe and clean. my co-workers were helpful and very friendly. it was more like a family then a work place
Excellent Experience
Student Support Specialist to Present (Former Employee), North Charleston, SCSeptember 28, 2014
I am successful not because of the dollar amount in my bank account, but because of the smile that adorns a child’s face when have reached the maximum potential, and now have the opportunity to pass that knowledge on to someone else.
Body Language Cherades
Agency/School Coordinator (Former Employee), Marsh Elementary SchoolSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: creativity
Cons: not enough hours in a day
The students were asked to identify some body languages that there were using. Once they did I asked them share with me why was those languages given so much power over any other language. They were then asked to perform body languages in a cherades game. They had so much fun acting out different body languages that there never knew existed.
great job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Columbus, OHSeptember 7, 2014
Pros: great job
Cons: sold to 5th 3rd
great place to work, much room for upward mobility company merged with 5th 3rd
Quantity for data, Not quality; yields no results
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamlet, NCAugust 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: quantity for data, not quality; yields no results. inconsistent in the direction for the area
Quantity for data, Not quality; yields no results. Inconsistent in the direction for the area

Part-Time employment but want full time hours/work. Very little assistance from the Directors.

High turn-over in employees. Lacks leadership and direction. Board of Directors are very inconsistent and are just glorified board members.
CIS
Site Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 3, 2014
A great place to work with At-Risk youth and make a difference in their life.
Great place to intern and accrue valuable hours for LPS or Social Work licensing
Case Manager III (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2014
The work is both very challenging and rewarding as we attempt to do everything in our power to help at-risk students to stay in school, thrive, and succeed in life.
Awesome co-workers, extremely dedicated.
Receptive and supportive management, also very dedicated to the core mission.
Productive workplace, feel a sense of pride helping the students
Mentor of various students from grades (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2014
Help students with school progression and having to deal with people from management, co-workers, to parents. No real downsides to the job. A major plus is when you know you have helped a student.
Interesting and always changing
Employee (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2014
Good for those who have a family or do not want to advance their career in the MH field
Overall, the environment was fun at times.
Parent Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCJune 17, 2014
Pros: i met all people of many walks of life. i liked helping them and encouraging them.
Cons: there were no benefits such as retirement, 401-k, etc.
I enjoyed working with my clients. The job was challenging. I really liked the job.
veRY POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT
CIS Program Coordinator (Current Employee), El Paso TXJune 3, 2014
Work with students at risk. In charge of coordinating the program as a host at a school.
Changing lives everyday
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Santa Fe, NMMay 4, 2014
Pros: people with similiar goals and good heartedness
Fantastic non- profit.
Well organized.
Goal oriented.
Great people.
Fantastic work.
Learning curve
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2014
Pros: got paid time off when the schools were not open
Cons: working downtown pittsburgh
Updated and organized the office. Maintain the office. Did accounts payable and payroll. Ran the office and some functions.
Great friendly work environment
Site Coordinator / Case manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 21, 2014
Pros: autonomy provided
Cons: lots of meetings
• Met with middle and high school students daily.
• Case load consisted from 75-100, but provided services for entire school.
• Design school wide and gender specific activities for middle school & high school age students
• Held daily in-person meetings concerning classroom behavior.
• Held weekly parent and whole family groups sessions

1 2 3 4 5

About Communities In Schools

Communities In Schools of Northern Virginia (CIS NoVa) is a local affiliate of the nationally recognized Communities In Schools – Read more