Communities In Schools

Communities In Schools Employer Reviews

Quantity for data, Not quality; yields no results
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Hamlet, NCAugust 14, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: quantity for data, not quality; yields no results. inconsistent in the direction for the area
Quantity for data, Not quality; yields no results. Inconsistent in the direction for the area

Part-Time employment but want full time hours/work. Very little assistance from the Directors.

High turn-over in employees. Lacks leadership and direction. Board of Directors are very inconsistent and are just glorified board members.
CIS
Site Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCAugust 3, 2014
A great place to work with At-Risk youth and make a difference in their life.
Great place to intern and accrue valuable hours for LPS or Social Work licensing
Case Manager III (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 1, 2014
The work is both very challenging and rewarding as we attempt to do everything in our power to help at-risk students to stay in school, thrive, and succeed in life.
Awesome co-workers, extremely dedicated.
Receptive and supportive management, also very dedicated to the core mission.
Productive workplace, feel a sense of pride helping the students
Mentor of various students from grades (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2014
Help students with school progression and having to deal with people from management, co-workers, to parents. No real downsides to the job. A major plus is when you know you have helped a student.
Interesting and always changing
Employee (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 25, 2014
Good for those who have a family or do not want to advance their career in the MH field
Overall, the environment was fun at times.
Parent Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCJune 17, 2014
Pros: i met all people of many walks of life. i liked helping them and encouraging them.
Cons: there were no benefits such as retirement, 401-k, etc.
I enjoyed working with my clients. The job was challenging. I really liked the job.
veRY POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT
CIS Program Coordinator (Current Employee), El Paso TXJune 3, 2014
Work with students at risk. In charge of coordinating the program as a host at a school.
Changing lives everyday
Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Santa Fe, NMMay 4, 2014
Pros: people with similiar goals and good heartedness
Fantastic non- profit.
Well organized.
Goal oriented.
Great people.
Fantastic work.
Learning curve
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2014
Pros: got paid time off when the schools were not open
Cons: working downtown pittsburgh
Updated and organized the office. Maintain the office. Did accounts payable and payroll. Ran the office and some functions.
Great friendly work environment
Site Coordinator / Case manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 21, 2014
Pros: autonomy provided
Cons: lots of meetings
• Met with middle and high school students daily.
• Case load consisted from 75-100, but provided services for entire school.
• Design school wide and gender specific activities for middle school & high school age students
• Held daily in-person meetings concerning classroom behavior.
• Held weekly parent and whole family groups sessions
Hands on Learning; Great internship experience.
Internship (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 14, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: no job security or chance for advancement
This internship was a very rewarding experience. Working with the adolescent parent population with hands on learning was one of the best experiences of my life.
Great experience
Intern (Former Employee), Kingsville, TXMarch 10, 2014
Intern duties:

clerical work, held student groups, supervisor was not the best though. She was going to retire soon, so she seemed burnt out.
Intern (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 1, 2014
Pros: scholraships
Cons: students not showing up
Typical day involves helping implement programs to help students engage and prepare for the next stage of there lives.
Productive and rewarding
Case Manager (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: time off with kiddos, trainings
Cons: low pay scale
Case managing students is one of the most rewarding jobs out there. I was able to work with at risk youth and pull them out of class and discuss attendance issues, grades, and obstacles they were facing to be successful at school. If I came across a family in need I was able to talk to management and we were able to help the family with the needs. The – more... hardest part of the job was seeing or trying to get the student through the obstacles they were facing to be successful in school. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my students become successful and seeing them overcome the obstacles they were facing. – less
good
Team Up Enrichment Staff (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2014
great fro high school students. reqires no thinking.just hot in summer
Friendly and helpful organization
Volunteer (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 30, 2014
a typical day at Communities at School would be to walk in to an office of friendly helpful people who are ready to help you with whatever you may need or need help with.
laid back, educational, productive, and overall impactful on the students and families.
Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: meetings had food, friendly coworkers
Interning, I was able to be stationed in a school (mine was a middle school). I typically did whatever clerical duties were asked of me, such as organizing files, typing up official documents, copying paperwork, etc.

Other than the regular duties of paperwork and filing, I was given opportunities to counsel children who came into the office with issues – more... ranging from possible thoughts of suicide to relationship problems and hunger issues at home. I also witnessed families who were previously helped come back to thank us in the office, and I was able to help families who were in need of food and refer them to services that could help them put food on the table or financially keep them afloat and under a roof with lights and running water.

I was also in charge of coordinating a week full of activities and guest speakers for the students at the school. Along with that, I had a group of mentees which I met with individually and tracked their academic progress and counseled them to prepare them for college or to see if there were any other issues going on.

The most enjoyable part of interning with Communities in Schools was the ability to have hands on experience with working with children and families, the bonds created with the children as well as coworkers, and the overall knowledge obtained. – less
Great organization and environment for learning
Internship (Current Employee), Charleston, SCDecember 26, 2013
I am currently completing a mandatory internship with CIS. It has been a great company to intern with and very understanding of students lives outside of internship (i.e. jobs/class). I have really enjoyed my time there so far and look forward to learning more this spring!
Teaching behavioral at-risk students
CLASSROOM INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee), Lancaster, SCDecember 19, 2013
Pros: working with at-risk students
Cons: was only temporary as students would leave the program when the program ended for summer.
Teaching students expelled from school for various reasons was a challenge. The administration was supportive as was my co-workers. What I learned was the need to establish a positive rapport with students difficult to teach. The most enjoyable part was establishing that rapport. Talking with students about their problems was beneficial as it enabled – more... me to develop a lesson plan based on real-life experiences as learning tools. – less
Case Manager (Former Employee), Waco, TXDecember 11, 2013
Fulfilling and exciting. Great staff. Family friendly. Can be an emotional job.

1 2 3 4 5

About Communities In Schools

Communities In Schools of Northern Virginia (CIS NoVa) is a local affiliate of the nationally recognized Communities In Schools – Read more