Communities In Schools Employee Reviews

It was a great place to work helping the children
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 16, 2017
Helping the children with homework and feeding the children snack on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job was getting the parent to understand that we was running a after school program not a babysitting company.
Pros
I learned a lot of different things working with the children and in the school
Cons
company closed down
Passion
Intern (Former Employee) –  Commerce, TXAugust 15, 2017
Communities In Schools gave me the opportunity to work with a population of students of students that I had never had the opportunity to work with. CIS helped me to find my passion for students.
Great place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXAugust 14, 2017
Wonderful place to work. Great office culture. Awards and praises, general feel of appreciation. Rewarding to work with at-risk kids. Fun to be a part of.
Pros
Family balanced, promotes personal development, wonderful people
Cons
No healthcare, no 401K, salary low because it is a nonprofit company
Impactful
Site Coordinator/Student Success Coach (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2017
As with most non-profits, the job is stressful, chaotic and pays next to nothing. However, there is no place I would rather be. The lack of pay is made up by great benefits and complete autonomy on the job site..So it works
a typical day at work
Student leader (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 10, 2017
It was a after school job. so need less to say it was just for extra cash. Its a tutoring program where high school juniors and seniors mentor and help children k-8th grade.
Pros
transportation
Cons
N/a
Good
Truancy Prevention Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2017
It is a great job for work life balance and I love the school and students I get to help every day! I love the work environment. Great first job after college.
Its a productive, fun place to work for
Bi-lingual site Coordinator, Immigrant Service. (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 5, 2017
My typical day at work is very rewarding when it comes to working with the kids within the school advocating for the kids with administration, teachers and family. Empowering the kids to advocate for themselves is one of my functions of my job.
Pros
I like that my working hours and holidays are payed.
Cons
The pay is low for my level of experience
Fun work enviroment. Not so great management.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  TXJuly 28, 2017
My experience at Communities in Schools was great on site. I had a great time with my case load of students and coworkers. The management was not the best but definitely not the worst. Emails were a bit unprofessional, and it felt like we got overworked.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Stressful hours and deadlines to meet.
Great job for part time/college student
Activity Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2017
Worked here all 4 years in college. Great hours if you know how to manage your schedule. The down fall, is as a part time you do not get paid holiday's and summer.
Communities In Schools
Site Coordinatorq (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJuly 24, 2017
The school setting is a Stressful environment. There is too much paperwork and not enough time to submit and work with students. The communication with the students is the best part.
Chuck E. Cheese
Voulenteer (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 20, 2017
Fun working environment full of games and kids playing and running around with tokens and also winning tickets to win a prize from playing the games all the time
Community Involvement
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 17, 2017
Communities in Schools is a great way to get involved with the community through helping at risk youth. The positions are for the length of a school year so you must be committed to the cause.
Good Place
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXJuly 14, 2017
Good place to work and positions are to benefit our public school students and their families. Campuses were helpful and appreciated our assistance with the areas of attendance, academics, behavior and life skils
Pros
Good job
Cons
Publc school culture
Great Place for Women to Work
Program Manager, Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Crowley, TXJuly 10, 2017
Excellent company for social workers! They are very supportive and they know what they are doing! If you are new to social work, this is a GREAT place to get the skills you need to be successful in this field!
Awesome Company
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 6, 2017
This company is amazing to work for. It has great management and has great learning experiences. The hours are amazing and you receive free healthcare.
Pros
Free healthcare and great working hours
Fun Enjoyed the job site
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, TXJune 30, 2017
Good Place to work. The work was direct with children who were at risk of dropping out of school. The program provided support services to the students to help them stay in school. The program was successful and about 95% or more completed school year/
Pros
Direct contact with children and teachers
Cons
demanding work completion schedules.
Overall Great experience
Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 29, 2017
Better understanding on the whole caseload being more than I could handle at times in a since, but also creating a fun and exciting workplace being a camp counselor. Management was stern and honest at all times which I was greatly appreciative for. Most enjoyable part of my day was interacting with kids and making them smile all at once.
Pros
Kids having a good time being kids
Cons
A kid that wouldn't allow me to help him.
My experience was atypical from what I've found online
Americorps Direct Service Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2017
When i worked there i was an Americorps member, not a full employee of Communities in Schools. Unfortunately i was under a first year grant that went under due to mismanagement. I'm sure Communities in Schools would be fine to work for
Pros
Cool Model, great mission
Cons
Stressful, long hours
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 27, 2017
it's simply volunteering.

go tutor the the elementary and middle grade students.

help the students to understand the lessons or assist them doing their home works.
Excellent company mission and benefits
Volunteer Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 26, 2017
The CIS mission to help students stay in school is exceptional. The company provides an excellent benefits package as well. It was a great company to work for and my day to day was never boring. I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to work for such a wonderful organization and team!