COMMUNITY ACCESS Employee Reviews

Excellent Career Opportunites, Caring Staff and Easy to love clientelle
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Greenville TexasAugust 3, 2015
A typical day consisted of ordering medications, picking up groceries, supplies, and other needs. Daily supervision of staff and residents as well as paperwork and daily documentation. I learned a great deal about working with the MHMR members and their families. My management staff was very efficient, and coordinated. My co-workers were adaptable, flexible and easy to communicate with. The hardest part of the job was by far keeping with all the interactions between family, residents, staff, supervisors and state reviews. The most enjoyable part of the job was the residents. Easy to get attached to and interact with.
Pros
Great pay, co-workers, and residents; great pay and benifits.
Cons
Lots and lots of paperwork!
high volume multi phone lines
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2016
community Access was an awesome company they offered shelter to NYC mentally challenge, HIV And AIDS clients. my jobs was to assure that tenants were safe, follow up with theirs and on site therapist. what i learned from working with this company is compassion for others co workers were ok hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the most serious mentally impaired clients best part was helping the tenants
Pros
Hard work, lending a helping hand
Cons
long days draining mentally
has a gym on site, facility groups healthy eating, harm reduction, meditation, etc.
Ad Hoc Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  1750 Davidson AvenueJune 11, 2015
Outreach tenants, facility groups. I learned to lead other with compassion and managerial skills. We have a small unit so we have each others back, and respect each other. The hardest part of the job is encourage and assisting individual's to seek help (i.e. psychiatrist, therapist, detox, etc). When you actual break through and a individual changes for the better (i.e. took the necessary steps to get SSI, go for psychiatric appointments, take medication, ADL skills are in place.
Pros
perks: trips such lunch on the spirit of NY, Fun day staff have dinner and a fun activity paid by the agency.
Cons
low salary
Community access
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 1, 2015
I first worked for this company in 2001. But when I went to work for them again in 2007; the house manager was hard to get along with and was anti professional at times giving special favors to favorite employees.
Pros
Good benefits; easy and fun enviroment
Cons
To much favortism.
community access
Mental Health Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
its great, the culture is great, the staff is great. Overall is a humbling experience to work for a great company.
I love the fact that I was able to gain the experience working for community access.
Pros
staff, privacy
Cons
there are none
Productive & informative company
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2016
This company provides great servics for all needs. A secure facility & a great variety of friendly staff. You learn about other services that are not mentioned on a regular day basis. They go above & beyond to help all tenants & staff.
CA has an important mission and I was glad to be a part of it.
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2016
Working at CA was very fulfilling. I would like to continue my work in the peer field. My colleagues and I worked very hard to provide the best possible services for all program participants.
Great starter for human servie experience
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 4, 2016
A lot of catty talk behind front desk, the pay is not great for it to be a human service organization. Coworker were very nasty and lazy.
Pros
Able to move up in the organization, great starter for human service experience
Cons
Benefits not good, wages are not good.
Front Desk Representative (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 19, 2016
This company is an excellent company to work for. this company even gives its residence employment and offer support
Okay
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 28, 2015
If you don't have experience than this is a good company to start off with. they have great benefits and a lot of over time if they like you. work load is heavy, without enough pay to match it. great residents some not so great but if you like what you are doing you'll know why you continue to get up and go to work everyday.
Pros
they give a lot of vacation days
Cons
not enough support from management
Interesting place to work
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Day HabSeptember 16, 2012
I worked with the mentally challenged while keeping them busy throughout the day Monday-Friday. I assisted the individuals with eating; giving medications, restroom responsibilities, therapy tasks, and I also helped them with basic life skills such as basic spelling, vocabulary and math skills. I assisted with arts and crafts. I learned about many different disorders. Management was not stable because just in the year I was employed there, we had at least 3 managers. I had good co-workers that were dedicated to their jobs as well. The hardest part of this job was having to work the major holidays without extra pay and not being home with my child during that time. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the individuals exceed in what each one was working on.
Pros
monday-friday 8am-4pm job.
Cons
no benefits
Great staff
Evening/Weekend Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 15, 2016
My ability to do my job is due to the people I've been fortunate to work with.

Learning experience has been Harm Reduction

Able to speak with upper management

Being able to know I've done a great job against odds
Pros
Reliable staff
Community Access
Housing Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 8, 2016
This company really make every great effort to assist the mentally ill and making sure they're treated fairly. Showing them they make the decisions for their life.
Great Place to Start!
Peer Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2016
it was an interesting place to start but I needed to move on and work a steady job.

The program was shaky and it was not offering anything to the new clients.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no organization
a dedicated peer human services organization
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 22, 2016
I greatly respect Community Access's mission of having at least 51% include mental health consumers. I feel that CA is unique in this respect and holds to its principles.
Pros
dedicated mission, good amount of time off
Cons
pay isn't stellar
Great place to start your career in social services
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 21, 2014
As a service coordinator, you will learn many valuable skills to help you grow as a professional and a person.

Most days involve helping tenants to manage their daily lives (appointments, phone calls, etc) as well as pursue growth in what they aspire to do. There is also a lot of writing involved, as the documentation of these interactions is at the core of what you do. Sometimes working with this client base can be challenging and unpredictable but can also be rewarding when you help someone make a step in the direction towards their recovery.
Pros
good health benefits and time off
Cons
salary is less than the market rate for case managers
Enjoyed meeting the family and most of all getting to know the patients.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Greenville, TXFebruary 15, 2016
The thing I enjoyed most it being able to take the patients out shopping, bowling on the weekends.I passed out medication to the patients, bathed and cooked. I really enjoyed working in this group home.
Pros
learning about the patients.
Cons
over worked an no over time.
The work place contained endles support for a individual with the desire to become worthy of being a peer specialist.
Peer specialist. (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 20, 2015
Long hours in the jail environment, But also plenty of work to be done and the freedom of how to be creative was the choice in doing so. Co-workers were of great help in succeeding this position, many of people were consistent in asking what they could possibly do to help. The most difficult part is not knowing the outcome of consumers when they were released if they didn't keep in touch. The enjoyable part is being a part in making a difference in a persons life.
Pros
free lunch everyday, and transportation.
Cons
Long hours, no overtime in the beginning of this position.
Too much work for little money
Housing Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2015
This company works you hard but doesn't pay properly. Management is horrible. They will let you go without giving you a reason why.
Great company
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 15, 2014
The benefits are great! Been with them for 3 years and there is always room for growth here. They could pay a little more but its like home. One big community so for a non profit its pretty good!