Community Action Employee Reviews in United States

It was a very nice company to work for.
Caregiver for Early Head Start (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, GeorgiaOctober 16, 2015
I have nothing negative to say about Community Actions for Improvement our pay was always on time and correct. We were able to speak and talk with the members of management when we needed to. The centers were well-managed and we had excellent benefits.
Pros
Payed vacations, sick days, personal days, accurate pay on pay day. It was a great company.
Cons
I have nothing negative to say about Community Actions for Improvement
Head Start is a great place to work with a variety of children.
Teacher Associate III (Former Employee) –  IowaOctober 30, 2015
At Head Start you work directly with many great teachers. The management can be inconsistent with decisions, but truly care about their work. A great place to work, and educate children.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
inconsistant management decisions
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 19, 2016
I love this place they really are concern about the health and welfare of their clients. The atmosphere is laid back no hoovering over your back. They hired you as a professional so they allow you to work as one
Pros
open door policy directly to the CEO
Cons
health insurance
Mentor
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIJune 20, 2016
I worked from Monday to Friday from 3 pm to 6 pm. I helped students with their school homework and projects. I also read books to them and gathered to play activities.
good place
Social Service Case Coordinator (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMay 11, 2016
The company was a good place to work at but the employees and management had problems. management did not respect years of services and experiences employees had.
benefits
Cons
management
great
Intake Specialist (Current Employee) –  MultiJuly 12, 2016
Great working atmosphere, good communication from management. Overall good company to work for. Benefits are great.
Horrible place to work
rather not say (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 5, 2015
Low pay
All managers pick favorites who can get away with anything
Very cliquish
All manual labor put off on one person so favorites don't have to do it, even though they are supposed to
Managers gossip constantly about their employees and turn all staff against you
Your voice is not heard, unimportant
Employees sabotage you every chance they get
No matter how hard you try, no one will appreciate you or recognize your hard work
They only point out mistakes, never give positive praise
Very racially motivated management
Pros
good work schedule
Cons
listed in review
A great place to expand your knowledge base in the field of education.
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAAugust 3, 2015
I enjoyed working with this company. There was a slight shift in operations, but overall this company has had over 40 years of longevity in the community. There were some things that could have been done differently, but the ultimate goal is to provide the best environment and educational experience for each child in their care.

Management and employees work well together, but there can be minimal power struggles.

As an educator, I learned to properly plan and prepare lessons and activities for young children.

The hardest part of my job was getting through the summers on unemployment.
Pros
Free meals and snacks for students and staff, Medical, Visual, Dental and Life Insurance
Cons
Short breaks, layoffs in the summer
Fun but fair
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bardstown, KYJanuary 30, 2016
Sykes was not a hard job as long as you knew what you were doing, sadly however the managment was very picky and it was hard for them to keep people. That's why they were always hiring, it's also why they unfortunately had to close down.
Pros
Large break room, fun enviorment
Cons
Knit picky, were unable to keep employees
it was a ok job
warehouse laborer (Former Employee) –  Logan, OHNovember 18, 2014
typical day at work would of been picking orders for pantry members, unloading deliveries,inventory and maintenance on fork lifts and pallet jacks. Management was poor they were rude majority of the time. My co-workers were great once again we all worked hard together to get all of our task done from day to day. The hardest part of my day would of been when i had a 1000 case or and still had 8 or so orders to pull that were at least 400 cases. The most enjoyable part of my job was when we handed out food to the families in need, and to see how their faces lit up because they knew they would have food to eat that night.
Pros
great fringe benefit package
Cons
dead end job no chances for advancements

Want to know more about Community Action?

Ask a question
Work as a team player to enhance the quality of life to children and their family.
Center Manager/Family Service Worker (Current Employee) –  LaGrange, GAMarch 26, 2013
On a typical day at work I am involved with group facilitation, meeting management and event planning. My experience in Head Start has afforded me the opportunity to participate in creating an environment where children can learn and develop life long skills.

In my position as Center Manager, I work closely with the parents to create positive relationship within the community. I participate in several volunteer programs throughout the surrounding counties.

At this stage in my career, I am ready to make the leap to healthcare field. My background working nonprofit organization provided me with an insightful perspective on being self motivated and implementing results. I am asking for an opportunity to translate these experiences into a productive leader in your organization.
Pros
great healthcare, off on the weekend and most hoildays
overall good place to work for someone starting out in the social work field
Community Services Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Ardmore/ Athens AlabamaJanuary 6, 2014
A typical day at work consist of managing your particular office to accommodate incoming customers. We assist low income families who have financial issues pertaining too Utilities, Rent/Mortgage. We assist 10 to 20 customers per day. I really enjoy working with Community Action in that it fulfills a sense of purpose. This job will make you feel that you are making a difference in someone's life that may be struggling to hold things together economically.
Pros
flexible work schedule, very accomodating to persons with a family
Cons
healthcare benefits, advancement opportunities
A good educational program, Poor management
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lagrange GaJuly 15, 2015
CAFI could have been an awesome establishment. Management was unprofessional. The moral was poor. The teachers were not compensated for their hard work effort. We, the staff, were micro-managed. Over worked/Under-paid. The program itself was good, as far as the children learning and bring nurtured.
Harry Morgan Head (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GASeptember 7, 2015
Great Company to work for. I was a head start teacher responsible for daily routines for 3 year olds. I have learned team work, patience and flexibility. I worked with creative colleagues that were willing to mentor and help when needed. We helped each other. The hardest part of the job was end of the school year, and seeing our classroom kids move on. The most enjoyable was watching our kids reach milestones and grow.
Pros
summers off
Cons
constant changes without enough notification
Operated equipment safely and efficiently at all times.
Weatherization Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alice, TXJune 24, 2015
Worked under strict deadlines and responded to service requests and emergency call-outs. Promptly responded to
general inquiries from members, staff, and clients via mail, e-mail and fax. Served as a bilingual Spanish/English
customer service representative. Operated equipment safely and efficiently at all times. Drove trucks with capacities
greater than three tons of trash. Successfully interacted with customers. Guaranteed positive customer experiences and
resolved all customer complaints. Responsible for collections in a timely manner and guaranteeing high level of
customer service. Accurately logged all daily activity.
Great place to work, Good environment.
Options Counselor (Former Employee) –  Crown Point, IndianaJuly 14, 2015
I enjoyed my time there as an intern. The work was demanding but not overwhelming overwhelming. The amount and type of work was rewarding and made the days seem short. The staff and supervisors were warm and welcoming. I learned all about what it takes for the elderly to transfer from facility to facility. It was rewarding to know that clients were placed and taken care of. The hardest part was the amount of work, but it was good. The best part is knowing how much you help people.
Pros
Great work environment. Great co-workers.
Cons
The work load.
great work place
Director of Housing/ Energy (Current Employee) –  Ashtabula, OHOctober 5, 2015
We are grant based. It runs year to year so you are not sure if the grants will be reinstated or not. I enjoy helping others and knowing that I made a difference in society and in the work place.
nice people
Child Care Intake Rep. / Cleaning Lady (Current Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INSeptember 4, 2015
I enjoy my job at Community action. Very nice people to work with. I like the job. My co-workers are great people to work with.

I enjoy doing my job in customer services and cleaning.
VERY high turnover of staff
employee (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IowaJuly 9, 2012
Company has excellent paid/accrued time off...cost of benefit plan is approximately 3 1/2 times the area average so majority of employees except upper 5% pay range are unable to afford. Very high turn over of employee staff....approximately 42 % staff turnover in one year alone for just one particular department. Good place to get your feet wet when just starting out in chosen field of service..very little room for advancement and very little, if any, yearly pay increases.
Pros
good accrued time off
Cons
not very employee friendly place of employment, very low wages compared to other companies in same field of service.
CERTIFIED FAMILY DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  INJune 21, 2012
I loved the work environment. Also liked helping people in their lives.
Pros
had benefits and pay advancement available.
Cons
continuing employment based on funding.

4.2