Community Blood Center Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work. Moral is very low
Mobile Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 24, 2017
Not at what I was expecting. Have to constantly go to Management to make sure your raises were put in system. Moral is very low. If you have family, be ready to put them aside for this job. Very heavy lifting involved
nice environment to work
Phlebotomist Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 10, 2017
this is a very nice company to work for. you are required to be very professional and dress code accordingly.
must be able to address donors with pleasant attitude. know how to do vital signs; need to be able to spot when donors are having a reaction to the donation process and address immediately. There are mobile units you will be required to do out in the community. work hours vary; if you have little children then please make arrangements for some late hour moibles
They do not tell you that if you don't pass quizzes they put together you will be let go.
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 12, 2017
In my experience they withheld information about the job. They will hire people then weed out the ones they don't want to keep. They do not tell you that up front so if you left a job to take a job with the community blood center be very cautious with them. The trainer is knowledgeable, but very arrogant. They hire you saying that it's very intense training for 6 weeks and it's not they don't even train you they have you sit in a class room and take quizzes. This place needs to practice being honest. I seen a few people get heart broken because they thought they had a job then found out they don't if they don't pass the quizzes they have you do. You are hired to get trained not take quizzes. It's a shame that a place like this treats people that way. I would not recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Dishonest
Would be better if paid more
Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 6, 2017
The facility was beautiful but the compensation for the job was just not enough. They told me that the benefits would make up for it but 12.50 an hour with the differential included just wasn't worth the work they expected of you. Shortly after I started I found a job at a pharmaceutical company that pays a more competitive wage and left. I was excited about working there because of the work but they cannot expect anyone with skills or experience to stay and be content making so little when other companies offer so much more.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Unhappy employees, short breaks, not enough compensation.
We were saving lives every day. My team was all for the cause.
Collection Supervisor, DPT (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 16, 2017
First off, I LOVED WORKING AT CBC – KCMO.I was a CS, DPT(ASCP), and apheresis tech. It was an honor and a privilege working with my valiant teams. We were proud of the excellent work that we did. We were a tight nit group, with a few inevitable exceptions. We were saving lives with the help of the wonderful donors that arrived at our mobile draws. But then they brought a manager from the St Joseph facility, a bully, and put her in charge and everything went south from there. I hear she is gone now. But many good people lost or left their jobs due to her, and management and some people got paranoid and snappy, plus HR was an angry group too, which didn’t help. I am still all for the cause. Please donate and save lives. Systemic environmental problems are set from the top by their choices. So beware.
Pros
Wonderful coworkers (generally), Donor personalities = generous, giving
Cons
very inconsistent work hours, upper management WAS toxic- Now???
Decent pay and good benefits but poor management and inconsistent hours
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 9, 2017
I worked here for almost a year and loved it. However as soon as they hired a new manager everything changed. The manager had no clue what he was doing and yet no matter who complained hr chose his side. He would change the schedule 4 or 5 times in the month after posting it the last minute possible. He made people do doubles all the time when it wasnt needed. He also was a bully to a few fellow employees who tried to reach out to hr and supervisors and were ignored. I hear good things about other centers but the one in overland park will fail unless they hire a new manager. The whole company cares about money and not their employees. I would recommend a different center like downtown or just another job in general.
Pros
Good benefits okay pay doing something truely meaningful
Cons
Poor management and hr. No lunch break on weekends, long inconsistent hours
Same job as kettering
Materials Coordinator/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHFebruary 8, 2017
This place I heard was a bit harder and more set in there ways. I don't know if this is true because I worked at the other facility. it was said to be relax though too. so I don't know what to believe. Still good pay and great job to have.
Sterile Instrument Tech
Sterile Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Kettering, OHAugust 4, 2016
As a current employee looking to get out. The management of the dept. is terrible. Will not give you a straight answer on any questions. They like to talk around things and use you when it is for their greater good. The company has good benefits and bonuses but the environment is toxic!They want input but only if it is to their needs.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
lousy management
Team members looked out for one another
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 11, 2016
Even if a co-worker or a person on another team was having a bad day, they never were disrespectful in front of donors and always show respect.
Great people, great mission
Field Recruiter / Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Springdale, ARMay 27, 2016
CBCO was filled with a great group of people working hand in hand to save lives through blood donation. Enjoyed working with this dedicated team.
Relaxing way to help with the community.
Blood Drive Committee Member (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLNovember 23, 2015
My volunteer team helped organize blood donors and keep files and paperwork neat and orderly. This happened once a month throughout my junior and senior year in high school. My team and I would schedule donors through the day and escort them to the buses when it was their time.
Pros
Free pizza, got to know fellow students and teachers better.
Clear Cut understanding of job duties and responsibilities.
DONOR CARE TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 11, 2015
I was only a member of the CBC workplace for a month, but from day one they trained us to do the job and made sure that we knew all of the ins and outs of our position. As a DCT (Donor Care Technician) I was responsible for collecting units of blood, transporting those units, as well as screening our donors with a short questionnaire and glucose test to ensure the quality of their donation. I learned that despite what the news and media will have you believe, the world is filled with people who want to help save lives and help treat the human condition. My management team was amazing. They lead from the front and it was reflected in the respect that their co-workers gave them. They made sure that every new trainee was adequately trained and ready for the field. My co-workers were all savvy at their job role and willing to help out when needed. The hardest part of the job was the classroom atmosphere those first few weeks. The most enjoyable part of the job was the travelling.
Pros
A different work environment each day, Great training, great benefits
Cons
No set hours
Great experience
Blood Donation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 23, 2015
Learned a lot, loved phlebotomy. Trainer was extremely good at her job, but pretty severe towards trainees. But, taught me a lot about my job.
Pros
experience, phlebotomy, benefits
Cons
trainer
great place to work
Collection Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOOctober 7, 2015
Fun and upbeat place to work. Great benefits and coworkers. You get to interact with donors and their stories. You save lives.
Rewarding position
Donor Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHAugust 28, 2015
I enjoyed working for CBC, the work/home life balance was great. I enjoyed working with the community and I enjoyed the work culture.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Low pay
A day as a blood donation specialist.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 22, 2015
My shifts varied which was very hard to work with being that I am a single mother but I managed. We had mobile units that would go to businesses and collect blood donations from volunteer donors wanting to help us save lives. We would travel to these locations in company vehicles as a team. My team members were an awesome group of people.
Cons
hours varied
Fun first job!
Blood Donation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 13, 2015
CBC was my first phlebotomy job out of school.

It is a very fast paced atmosphere and every day I was faced with new challenges that helped me grow as a person and a profesional.

It is the most fun I have ever had on a job! You get very close with those that you work with and your "regulars".

CBC cannot offer a set schedule due to scheduling around the hosts' schedules.

If you can work flexible hours this is an amazing opportunity!

For example, on Monday I would work 4-1600 and Tuesday I would work 1400-2000. You travel a lot to mobile blood drives with company vehicles with other co-workers which is included in your scheduled work time.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, benefits
Cons
Schedule
Mobile Plebotomist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 7, 2015
I enjoyed the traveling all over the greater Kansas city area meeting different people and drawing blood great atmosphere employees getting along and over all a great experience for me starting out new.
Challenging work with minimal amount of stress
Medical Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Montvale, NJFebruary 6, 2015
Requires focus and be able to remain calm in stressful situation especially in handling phone calls. Co-workers are fun to work with which made the task less stressful.
Pros
Fun co-workers
Cons
Routine tasks
Account Manager
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 2, 2015
• Negotiate details of marketing campaigns with clients and media partners
• Monitor and track campaigns to determine effectiveness and determine future changes
• Develop and present presentations for potential clients and existing C-level executives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Blood Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9