The Registered Nurse will use his/her nursing experience and clinical knowledge to fulfill various roles in the medical services centers. The principal role will be leader and coach on the patient care team who works collaboratively with all clinic staff to provide the highest level of quality medical care. The role of the Registered Nurse includes, but is not limited to: cultivation of clear communication between all members of the care team so that the patient’s needs come first; encouragement of a cohesive, positive attitude on the care team; assisting the patient care team to provide quality care; facilitating problem solving among team members as the need arises; promoting the Patient-Centered Medical Home; and training and supervision of Medical Assistants.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Continuously assess and manage the flow of the clinical team’s daily schedule, including leading team huddles, identifying patients who may need additional assistance such as care management or other, and assisting the provider-MA teams in the provision of quality patient care.
2. As an integral member of the primary care team:
a. Counsel patients in the areas of diabetes, obesity, asthma, and others as part of the team approach to primary care.
b. Assist patients in setting self-management goals.
c. Conduct case management as requested by the provider, including follow up of lab results, treatment plans, and assistance in providing additional community resources to patients.
d. Counsel patients on the use, risks, benefits and side effects of any medications prescribed.
e. Assist with tracking and reviewing lab results, and notify patients in a timely manner as directed by the medical provider.
f. Renew and order prescriptions for patients upon a verbal or written order from a medical provider.
g. Perform routine nursing care to patients, when requested by providers, while utilizing age-specific and universal precaution practices at all times.
h. Answer phone calls from and provide appropriate medical advice to patients complaining of illness.
i. Arrange referrals as necessary
3. Train and supervise Medical Assistants
4. Provide quality customer service at all times, and communicate effectively with patients in a manner that protects their confidentiality and is sensitive to their culture and to their physical/emotional/spiritual condition.
5. Work cooperatively with staff, providers, Lead Clinicians, Medical Director, and Administration.
6. Work within the policies and procedures of Community Clinic, Inc.
7. Assist with analysis of quality improvement data for the primary care team and help identify ways to improve care.
8. Assist with new employee training and on-going training for Medical Assistant.
9. Triage patients by phone and in the clinic, and consult with a provider as appropriate.
10. Use the Electronic Medical Record and maintain patient medical records in good order utilizing standard language and abbreviations and following accepted medical standards for charting.
11. Help ensure that medications are kept in a locked location.
12. Consistently seek manners of self-education in order to broaden base of medical knowledge, including diseases, medications, and best practices.
13. Identify patient education materials as needed for patient counseling.
14. Assist with collecting data and generating needed reports as assigned.
15. Attend health fairs and other clinic events as requested.
16. Attend meetings as requested.
Requirements: Specific Job Skills
Requires advanced ability to read, write, speak and understand English/Spanish. Work requires continuously using problem analysis, decision making, and independent judgment, the use of discretion, creativity, mentoring, counseling, teamwork, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and evaluation skills. Professional nursing skills are necessary. The physical ability to stand for long periods of time, talk, listen, write, and sit intermittently is required. Work requires occasional bending and stooping. Must be able to occasionally lift, push and/or move 25 pounds, operate a computer including keyboard, multi-line phone and occasionally work in excess of 8 hours per day or 40 hours/week as needed.
Required Knowledge, Experience or Licensure/Registration
1. RN Licensure in the state of Maryland
2. Bilingual in English and Spanish strongly preferred
3. Clinical experience in an acute care setting
4. Patient education experience
5. Proficient computer skills
6. Experience working in a multi-cultural setting
7. Ability to organize, solve problems and multi-task
8. Ability to work well in a high pressured atmosphere
9. Ability to strongly embrace and personify the mission of Community Clinic, Inc. (CCI)
10. Ability to interact with fellow employees in a way that promotes a harmonious and cooperative working environment
11. In good physical condition with the ability to stand, bend 85% of the time
1. Based upon the needs of the organization, the employee may be expected to conduct case management and/or nursing services at organizations that partner with CCI (e.g., homeless shelters and mental health facilities). If the partnering organization has a job description for the nursing person, the employee will follow that job description also, upon review and approval by CCI administration.
2. Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and /or loud noises.
3. Sitting, standing and /or walking for a minimum of eight (8) hours per day.
4. Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
5. OSHA Category 1.
6. Professional attire (preferred) or scrubs are required while in the clinic setting. Lab coat is optional.
7. Nose piercings should be removed or properly covered while working. Tongue piercings should be removed while working.
8. Proper and professional grooming is expected at all time.