Community College of Rhode Island Employee Reviews in United States

A distinguished work environment.
Assistant to the Dean of Student Life (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIMay 21, 2016
While a stressful place to work. The culture, made by the massive background of students and faculty, is excellent. As well, the management is fantastic and foster development unlike anywhere else I've worked.
Fun workplace with great staff
Managing Editor (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIMay 20, 2016
A typical day at work would be arriving into the office at your designated office hours and either writing articles, editing articles, or using Indesign. The hardest part of the job is being told what to do.
Library is perfect for me
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIMay 5, 2016
The environment that i worked in was incredibly understanding and flexible. Loved working here and so sad that I have to leave due to graduating
adjunct college professor
adjucnt professor (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIDecember 8, 2015
Great place to work! I worked over five years teaching education classes. I kept a strong relationship with the departmnent and could return if I wanted.
Pros
nice school
The boss was amazing, great experience gained.
Assistant to the Dean of Students (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIDecember 2, 2015
The Dean was an amazing boss, and was always understanding and helpful. It was a great experience, and a helpful look into an office as well as the management of a school.

I spent most of my day responding to email correspondence, as well as creating and reviewing documents for student organizations. I would take messages for the Dean if they were in a meeting or out. I would spend extended periods at a desk, but would occasionally be sent to meets on the Dean's behalf. I kept regular correspondence with other departments, of both faculty and staff.

The hardest part of the job was having to separate myself as a student with the issues at hand. But any self-doubt or worries I had, were easily dismissed when taking council from the Dean.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working closely with teachers, and aiding them in finding new ways to integrate their classes with the school's many student-run organizations.
Pros
Great Boss, Flexible Hours
Cons
On-Call Hours, Long Days, Stressful Enviroment
receptionist
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RISeptember 25, 2015
Supportive staff, flexible hours around class. Great place to establish and grow office-setting skills, You learn the ins and outs of advising and counseling.
Pros
experience in higher ed
Cons
none.
A great place to work while attending school.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIAugust 2, 2015
Work is very slow in the summer. Most come for the pool being the weight room and gym are exclusive to students.
The School year is more chaotic with new students asking for help and non-students trying to sneak in. The supervisors are helpful and friendly as well.
When things are slow you're allowed to do homework too or just look at your phone.
Pros
Very lenient to schedule, if you need the day off you can just let them know via text.
Cons
Can get very boring at times if you have nothing to do, you're limited to how many hours you can work.
Very good learning experience
Homemaker/Student (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandJuly 16, 2015
I was in school, so this wasn't a job. I learned so much about my field. It was enjoyable to meet new people. My co students were great to be around.
Pros
I learned all that was needed to succeed
Cons
there were no cons
My Favorite Memory at CCRI
Information Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 2, 2015
My favorite thing about Community College or Rhode Island was being able to work in the Information Desk at the Liston Campus. I was able to connect with a lot of students, and recognize staff in each department. Being able to help students made me feel important. Another reason why I loved working at the Liston Campus is because of the different varieties of diversity and culture. It amazes me to know that we have a lot of students from all over the country.
Family oriented enviornment
Student Veterans Officer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 21, 2015
A typical day as a student veterans officer consists of communicating with other student veterans, who are no longer active in the service, and guiding them to their goal career path. Consulting with students about their academic concerns, assisting them in obstaining support and or resources to meet specific needs. Basically working with student veterans to facilitate a successful transition to civilian life.
Management and co-workers were the best to work with because they were also veterans themselves so that are able to relate to all. They all came from different branches, however, they worked toward one goal and that was to help one another.
Most enjoyable part of the job was coordinating events just for student veterans to get to know one another and network.
Pros
Assisted education. Networking
Cons
N/A
Productive place and fun becuase of classmates and co-workers
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Providence, Rhode IslandMarch 3, 2015
I sign in/out students on the CCRI system that they're studying and/or getting some type of educational help. I learned more about computers and how to find information and find my way in this community college. I get along pretty well with my boss and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is to help a lot of students at the same time when they're anxious but it's not that hard, I can still manage. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help others on the things that I needed help once.
Pros
flexible schedule and i can do homework when i'm not busy.
Cons
short breaks
Great advisers to work for
Secretarial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIFebruary 20, 2015
Work around your classes which is awesome and you can also do your homework. Job basically consists of answering phones and scheduling appointments.
Pros
make your own schedule
Work at CCRI
Student Aide (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at CCRI consist of routine maintenance of a Academic Computer Lab and other technology rooms throughout the campus. I have learned that customer service is not a luxury but a necessity since we are constantly catering to hundreds of students daily. The management is pretty straight forward in their expectations of their student aids. There is not much communication between co-workers since we all have unaligned schedules. The hardest part of my job is not always having an answer for a student/faculty when they come into our facility but there's not much I can do about that on my part. I try to educate myself outside of the lab about particular common issues to address them whenever they reappear. I enjoy assisting all these diverse students and circumstances.
Productive Working, very hands on with students.
Help Student Sign up for Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 22, 2014
The working environment was friendly. Hard working, and well organized. Well prepared and ready to help student back into college.
Post Graduation and Return to CCRI
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIOctober 12, 2014
My first college degree was earned at Community College of RI. To return as faculty was exceptionally satisfying. Additionally, the College has a culture of faculty and student' politeness and caring for one another. It is especially interesting that students hold doors for each other and for faculty (as does faculty). Co-workers (fellow faculty) have a strong belief in helping one another. This department is a pleasure to work in at all times.

Hardest part of teaching is, of course, that different students' needs vary. To be sure to keep each student involved is both the challenge and the fascination of teaching.

The most enjoyable...simply being in front of a class and feeling the students interest and connection. An excellent profession...
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Caring community of instructors.
Adjunct , Department of English, Basic Composition (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJuly 29, 2014
As an adjunct instructor at CCRI, I worked with small classes of diverse students.
Pros
independence in day to day decision making.
Productive and interesting teaching job
Adjunct English Faculty (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJune 22, 2014
Most enjoyable part of job is getting to know colleagues and especially the students with such a wide array of backgrounds
Pros
varied hours
Cons
none.
higher ed
Director of Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIJune 9, 2014
project management
dedicated resource
planning and management of projects
multiple stakeholders involved
tutoring accounting
paraprofessional tutor (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJune 4, 2014
I have experience in tutoring accounting ((all levels) for around 7 years in the Community College of Rhode Island. I learn essential communication skills (both oral and written) to put into good use in my accounting field. Also, I can strengthen/improve my accounting knowledge so I can keep up to date with accounting changes.

The most enjoyable part of this job is that I love to stay in the workplace for as long as the workplace opens. I open the Success Center (a place where the students can be tutored by any of the students) very promptly (usually 15 minutes before opening time) every Saturday. I work on Saturdays for 6 straight hours (without taking a single break) and I like it. I also close the Success Center also usually lately (about 5 minutes after closing time).
I have persistence and patience.

When I have an accounting job (one that gives me real accounting experience) in an accounting firm or company , I will use this tutoring job as a side job to get a little extra money.
Pros
meeting with students with a lot of demographic backgrounds, working with a student for a longer amount of time (i can take a whole day to tutor 1 student.), easy working, strengthen my accounting knowledge and communication skills
Cons
worked only when the fall/spring semester is in session, can worked only 10 hours per week, no benefits (401k, cafeteria plans), low pay ($25/hour is reasonable to my master's degree.)
CCRI Computer Lab work
Computer Lab Monitor (Current Employee) –  Warwick, RIFebruary 2, 2014
Good co-workers that are easy to get a long with while working, working with over 70+ computers and virtualised machines, multiple copiers located in faculty departments that require frequent repairs and maintenance

4.3