Community College of Rhode Island Employee Reviews

A great place to work while attending school.
Student Worker (Current Employee), Lincoln, RIAugust 2, 2015
Pros: Very lenient to schedule, if you need the day off you can just let them know via text.
Cons: Can get very boring at times if you have nothing to do, you're limited to how many hours you can work.
Work is very slow in the summer. Most come for the pool being the weight room and gym are exclusive to students.
The School year is more chaotic with new students asking for help and non-students trying to sneak in. The supervisors are helpful and friendly as well.
When things are slow you're allowed to do homework too or just look at your phone.
Very good learning experience
Homemaker/Student (Former Employee), Rhode IslandJuly 16, 2015
Pros: I learned all that was needed to succeed
Cons: there were no cons
I was in school, so this wasn't a job. I learned so much about my field. It was enjoyable to meet new people. My co students were great to be around.
My Favorite Memory at CCRI
Information Receptionist (Former Employee), Providence, RIJune 2, 2015
My favorite thing about Community College or Rhode Island was being able to work in the Information Desk at the Liston Campus. I was able to connect with a lot of students, and recognize staff in each department. Being able to help students made me feel important. Another reason why I loved working at the Liston Campus is because of the different varieties of diversity and culture. It amazes me to know that we have a lot of students from all over the country.
Family oriented enviornment
Student Veterans Officer (Former Employee), Providence, RIMay 21, 2015
Pros: Assisted education. Networking
Cons: N/A
A typical day as a student veterans officer consists of communicating with other student veterans, who are no longer active in the service, and guiding them to their goal career path. Consulting with students about their academic concerns, assisting them in obstaining support and or resources to meet specific needs. Basically working with student veterans to facilitate a successful transition to civilian life.
Management and co-workers were the best to work with because they were also veterans themselves so that are able to relate to all. They all came from different branches, however, they worked toward one goal and that was to help one another.
Most enjoyable part of the job was coordinating events just for student veterans to get to know one another and network.
Productive place and fun becuase of classmates and co-workers
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Providence, Rhode IslandMarch 3, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule and i can do homework when i'm not busy.
Cons: short breaks
I sign in/out students on the CCRI system that they're studying and/or getting some type of educational help. I learned more about computers and how to find information and find my way in this community college. I get along pretty well with my boss and my co-workers. The hardest part of the job is to help a lot of students at the same time when they're anxious but it's not that hard, I can still manage. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help others on the things that I needed help once.
Great advisers to work for
Secretarial Assistant (Current Employee), Lincoln, RIFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: make your own schedule
Work around your classes which is awesome and you can also do your homework. Job basically consists of answering phones and scheduling appointments.
Work at CCRI
Student Aide (Current Employee), Lincoln, RIFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at CCRI consist of routine maintenance of a Academic Computer Lab and other technology rooms throughout the campus. I have learned that customer service is not a luxury but a necessity since we are constantly catering to hundreds of students daily. The management is pretty straight forward in their expectations of their student aids. There is not much communication between co-workers since we all have unaligned schedules. The hardest part of my job is not always having an answer for a student/faculty when they come into our facility but there's not much I can do about that on my part. I try to educate myself outside of the lab about particular common issues to address them whenever they reappear. I enjoy assisting all these diverse students and circumstances.
Productive Working, very hands on with students.
Help Student Sign up for Student Aid (Former Employee), Providence, RIOctober 22, 2014
The working environment was friendly. Hard working, and well organized. Well prepared and ready to help student back into college.
Post Graduation and Return to CCRI
Faculty (Current Employee), Warwick, RIOctober 12, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
My first college degree was earned at Community College of RI. To return as faculty was exceptionally satisfying. Additionally, the College has a culture of faculty and student' politeness and caring for one another. It is especially interesting that students hold doors for each other and for faculty (as does faculty). Co-workers (fellow faculty) have a strong belief in helping one another. This department is a pleasure to work in at all times.

Hardest part of teaching is, of course, that different students' needs vary. To be sure to keep each student involved is both the challenge and the fascination of teaching.

The most enjoyable...simply being in front of a class and feeling the students interest and connection. An excellent profession...
Caring community of instructors.
Adjunct , Department of English, Basic Composition (Former Employee), Warwick, RIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: independence in day to day decision making.
As an adjunct instructor at CCRI, I worked with small classes of diverse students.
Cool Job
Tutor (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 2, 2014
This is what I call a laid back job. The people I worked with were very nice even my boss. When students wouldn't show up I was able to work on my homework and still get paid. I was able to choose my house. Also, requesting a day off was no problem. Definitely a nice job with great pay. I wish I could have kept it.
higher ed
Director of Special Projects (Current Employee), Warwick, RIJune 9, 2014
project management
dedicated resource
planning and management of projects
multiple stakeholders involved
tutoring accounting
paraprofessional tutor (Current Employee), Providence, RIJune 4, 2014
Pros: meeting with students with a lot of demographic backgrounds, working with a student for a longer amount of time (i can take a whole day to tutor 1 student.), easy working, strengthen my accounting knowledge and communication skills
Cons: worked only when the fall/spring semester is in session, can worked only 10 hours per week, no benefits (401k, cafeteria plans), low pay ($25/hour is reasonable to my master's degree.)
I have experience in tutoring accounting ((all levels) for around 7 years in the Community College of Rhode Island. I learn essential communication skills (both oral and written) to put into good use in my accounting field. Also, I can strengthen/improve my accounting knowledge so I can keep up to date with accounting changes.

The most enjoyable part of this job is that I love to stay in the workplace for as long as the workplace opens. I open the Success Center (a place where the students can be tutored by any of the students) very promptly (usually 15 minutes before opening time) every Saturday. I work on Saturdays for 6 straight hours (without taking a single break) and I like it. I also close the Success Center also usually lately (about 5 minutes after closing time).
I have persistence and patience.

When I have an accounting job (one that gives me real accounting experience) in an accounting firm or company , I will use this tutoring job as a side job to get a little extra money.
CCRI Computer Lab work
Computer Lab Monitor (Current Employee), Warwick, RIFebruary 2, 2014
Good co-workers that are easy to get a long with while working, working with over 70+ computers and virtualised machines, multiple copiers located in faculty departments that require frequent repairs and maintenance
Interesting job
Instructor/ Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), Lincoln, RIJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: paperwork
Enjoy help training the future ultrasound techs. Co-Workers are friendly and helpful.
Students receive love and respect from Professors, which is wonderful.
English Instructor (Former Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: yes, we did receive periodic get-togethers regarding a nice lunch together, plus discounts were given to us from any products that we purchased on campus, regardless of what it was! that was extremely wonderful.
Cons: the college provided us with health insurance, which required a small "withdrawal" from our paycheck, also, if we did not need it because our spouse provided it, they "congratulated" us with check each month because of what it "saved them", plus it helped us, also! that was wonderful.
Before I began my wonderful career at Community College of Rhode island, I was a seventh grade English Teacher at Beckwith School after I graduated from University of Rhode Island and took additional courses at University of MA at Dartmouth. My twenty years there were absolutely wonderful in every way. There was absolutely no rude or disrespectful situations which occurred, but we all that that "Roses have thorns", which tells us that not "everything" is perfect, but I loved that school and stayed there until I realized that I would LOVE to teach at a college. My application there was completely accepted and I was absolutely thrilled. I believe I stated this previously, but the only reason I am not there now is because we no longer liver in Cranston, Rhode Island, but now it is Tiverton. Distance is much shorter to your wonderful college. I am looking forward to becoming a member of your wonderful College. Thank you!
Good part-time employment allowing time for additional education
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee), Warwick, RIDecember 3, 2013
This was a great work situation for me while I was in school to further my education. I learned time management between school and work, and also within work, dealing with multiple athletes at a time to ensure they all make it out to practice in a timely manner. Interaction with coworkers was very important to promote consistent care on a day to day basis since we all were not there every day. The hardest part of the job was the limited time and resources available.
working with adult learners
ADJUNCT READING TEACHER (Former Employee), Warwick and Providence campusesJuly 2, 2013
Pros: meeting and working with people
I really like working with adults who are motivated to learn. I have seen real progress in students, especially those in Providence area. Rewarding and interesting.
College student employment
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Lincoln, RIMay 6, 2013
Great place and interesting people. I worked as student help and did basic information technology help.
excellent place to aquire skills
Assist students (Current Employee), Newport, RIMarch 18, 2013
Pros: helped me focus on school
Cons: not enough money
it is a college work study job that helped me aquire the general skills needed to relate to one on one when dealing with people