Community College of Rhode Island

Community College of Rhode Island Employer Reviews

Productive Working, very hands on with students.
Help Student Sign up for Student Aid (Former Employee), Providence, RIOctober 22, 2014
The working environment was friendly. Hard working, and well organized. Well prepared and ready to help student back into college.
Post Graduation and Return to CCRI
Faculty (Current Employee), Warwick, RIOctober 12, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
My first college degree was earned at Community College of RI. To return as faculty was exceptionally satisfying. Additionally, the College has a culture of faculty and student' politeness and caring for one another. It is especially interesting that students hold doors for each other and for faculty (as does faculty). Co-workers (fellow faculty) have – more... a strong belief in helping one another. This department is a pleasure to work in at all times.

Hardest part of teaching is, of course, that different students' needs vary. To be sure to keep each student involved is both the challenge and the fascination of teaching.

The most enjoyable...simply being in front of a class and feeling the students interest and connection. An excellent profession... – less
Caring community of instructors.
Adjunct , Department of English, Basic Composition (Former Employee), Warwick, RIJuly 29, 2014
Pros: independence in day to day decision making.
As an adjunct instructor at CCRI, I worked with small classes of diverse students.
Cool Job
Tutor (Former Employee), Providence, RIJuly 2, 2014
This is what I call a laid back job. The people I worked with were very nice even my boss. When students wouldn't show up I was able to work on my homework and still get paid. I was able to choose my house. Also, requesting a day off was no problem. Definitely a nice job with great pay. I wish I could have kept it.
higher ed
Director of Special Projects (Current Employee), Warwick, RIJune 9, 2014
project management
dedicated resource
planning and management of projects
multiple stakeholders involved
tutoring accounting
paraprofessional tutor (Current Employee), Providence, RIJune 4, 2014
Pros: meeting with students with a lot of demographic backgrounds, working with a student for a longer amount of time (i can take a whole day to tutor 1 student.), easy working, strengthen my accounting knowledge and communication skills
Cons: worked only when the fall/spring semester is in session, can worked only 10 hours per week, no benefits (401k, cafeteria plans), low pay ($25/hour is reasonable to my master's degree.)
I have experience in tutoring accounting ((all levels) for around 7 years in the Community College of Rhode Island. I learn essential communication skills (both oral and written) to put into good use in my accounting field. Also, I can strengthen/improve my accounting knowledge so I can keep up to date with accounting changes.

The most enjoyable part – more... of this job is that I love to stay in the workplace for as long as the workplace opens. I open the Success Center (a place where the students can be tutored by any of the students) very promptly (usually 15 minutes before opening time) every Saturday. I work on Saturdays for 6 straight hours (without taking a single break) and I like it. I also close the Success Center also usually lately (about 5 minutes after closing time).
I have persistence and patience.

When I have an accounting job (one that gives me real accounting experience) in an accounting firm or company , I will use this tutoring job as a side job to get a little extra money. – less
CCRI Computer Lab work
Computer Lab Monitor (Current Employee), Warwick, RIFebruary 2, 2014
Good co-workers that are easy to get a long with while working, working with over 70+ computers and virtualised machines, multiple copiers located in faculty departments that require frequent repairs and maintenance
Interesting job
Instructor/ Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee), Lincoln, RIJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: paperwork
Enjoy help training the future ultrasound techs. Co-Workers are friendly and helpful.
Students receive love and respect from Professors, which is wonderful.
English Instructor (Former Employee), Providence, RIJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: yes, we did receive periodic get-togethers regarding a nice lunch together, plus discounts were given to us from any products that we purchased on campus, regardless of what it was! that was extremely wonderful.
Cons: the college provided us with health insurance, which required a small "withdrawal" from our paycheck, also, if we did not need it because our spouse provided it, they "congratulated" us with check each month because of what it "saved them", plus it helped us, also! that was wonderful.
Before I began my wonderful career at Community College of Rhode island, I was a seventh grade English Teacher at Beckwith School after I graduated from University of Rhode Island and took additional courses at University of MA at Dartmouth. My twenty years there were absolutely wonderful in every way. There was absolutely no rude or disrespectful situations – more... which occurred, but we all that that "Roses have thorns", which tells us that not "everything" is perfect, but I loved that school and stayed there until I realized that I would LOVE to teach at a college. My application there was completely accepted and I was absolutely thrilled. I believe I stated this previously, but the only reason I am not there now is because we no longer liver in Cranston, Rhode Island, but now it is Tiverton. Distance is much shorter to your wonderful college. I am looking forward to becoming a member of your wonderful College. Thank you! – less
Good part-time employment allowing time for additional education
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Current Employee), Warwick, RIDecember 3, 2013
This was a great work situation for me while I was in school to further my education. I learned time management between school and work, and also within work, dealing with multiple athletes at a time to ensure they all make it out to practice in a timely manner. Interaction with coworkers was very important to promote consistent care on a day to day – more... basis since we all were not there every day. The hardest part of the job was the limited time and resources available. – less
working with adult learners
ADJUNCT READING TEACHER (Former Employee), Warwick and Providence campusesJuly 2, 2013
Pros: meeting and working with people
I really like working with adults who are motivated to learn. I have seen real progress in students, especially those in Providence area. Rewarding and interesting.
College student employment
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Lincoln, RIMay 6, 2013
Great place and interesting people. I worked as student help and did basic information technology help.
excellent place to aquire skills
Assist students (Current Employee), Newport, RIMarch 18, 2013
Pros: helped me focus on school
Cons: not enough money
it is a college work study job that helped me aquire the general skills needed to relate to one on one when dealing with people
Dedicated Faculty
Faculty Member (Current Employee), Warwick, RIJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: strong support throughout the institutio
Cons: as in any teaching position, as much (or more) hours in preparation than in actual class time. however, one can do this at home.
Having been teaching adults of all abilities for many years, my learning consisted mainly of assessing the culture of this particular college. As I had graduated from the nursing department of this college some years ago, I had some knowledge of the culture. However, the support from both the administration and fellow faculty members is very impressive. – more... Every question I had on any topic was attended to immediately--and not just by one person by by any persons to whom I communicated questions. The hardest part of any faculty position is that students will inevitably have varying levels of ability; this is the challenging part as well so qualifies as the most enjoyable part. – less
meeting new people
Assistant (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 31, 2012
enrollment office , new students, assisted all of thr guidence counselors
convenient, easy, fun, loving environment and caring people i ever encounter.
Student help (Former Employee), Providence, RIAugust 25, 2012
Pros: worked around my school schedule, easy, fun
Cons: not enough hours, no raise, no benefits
The best job I ever had. I worked at Community College of Rhode Island for two years and a half. I truly enjoyed working there. Having a kid can be difficult but they were very understanding. I was also a full time student there and they always worked around my schedule which was really great. I gained a lot of experience working there.
great opportunities
Administrative Assistant/ Dean of Administration (Former Employee), lincoln,riJuly 27, 2012
allowed me to work and go to school, good pay, supportive staff
Very busy environment.
Supplemental Instructor Dept of Nursing (Former Employee), Warwick, RIJune 22, 2012
Pros: free parking, school cafe not bad.
Cons: worked under federal grant, no job security. if the students cancelled a session i didn't get paid.
I worked with student nurses preparing for clinical rotations and state nursing board exams. It was the most rewarding work I've done in my life. The college itself was a little disorganized at times, but otherwise I loved it and would go back if it worked in to my schedule.
Overall an amazing work environment and pleasant working staff
Senior Peer Tutor (Former Employee), Warwick, RIJune 19, 2012
Pros: calm, quiet, relaxing work environment
Cons: parking was always a competition with students
On a typical day, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to walk in smiling. Knowing the job you perform is helping more people than you're aware gives a sense of self satisfaction. Although the outside of the buildings look un-welcoming, the staff and students provide a home feelings that were purposefully designed to improve both the performance of students – more... and faculty. – less
Program directors are very accessible and willing to work with employees. Compensation is "ok" but that is because it is grant funded.
Tutor - Access to Opportunity Program (Current Employee), Warwick, RIJune 18, 2012
Hours are given to suit the needs of employees
Counselors have a real concern for the students
Attempts are made for employee input