Community Development Institute Head Start Employee Reviews in United States

Loved the staff that worked there, great team
Site Secretary/PROMIS Tech (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 22, 2015
Loved the Head Start Program overall, upper management didn't handle staff and future of their staff. This was an "interim" company and they didn't inform the staff of what was going on with the company
Pros
Staff Team
Cons
Upper management
Productive yet challenging work environment that provided professional growth
Nutrition Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, Col.September 21, 2015
CDI work assignment created a very fast paced and demanding work environment. The work was rewarding and supported professional growth. It was a good experience.
Pros
Specific assignments, great leadership, supportive.
Life as a Teacher Assistant.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harvey, ILJuly 27, 2015
Working as a teaching team with the lead teacher in developing activities, lesson plans, and observation for preschool head start children. I assistance the teacher in carrying out the goals, policies, and activities designed to implement educational objective.
Pros
Getting to teach.
Cons
Better dental plan.
The work days were pleasant.
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 12, 2014
I worked with disabled children with helping them cope in a regular classroom setting.
Pros
the job had a friendly atmosphere.
Cons
health care was expensive for a family.
Office setting
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OhioJune 23, 2014
As the HR Manager, a typical day is filled with a lot of projects that need to be completed in a short period of time. I love the fast pace and really enjoy showing off my skills in getting the job done. Even though we have a small HR staff, I love that fact that I'm always working as an generalist because it keeps me sharp in all the areas of human resources. One of the biggest things I learned in this position is that I can handle any thing that comes my way and meet any deadline regardless of unforeseen things that come up at the last minute. I loved the staff at CDI and made some new friends. The hardest part of my job was working without the necessary tools to do the job well. I learned to work smart and not hard. Working hard is good but working smart is better because you can get a lot more done and in less time. Lastly, the most enjoyable part of my job was taking care of the management and staff needs. I know I've made a lot of positive changes in our staff's lives and careers. Helping people gives me great satisfaction.
Workplace for children
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville,FloridaMay 21, 2014
I have learned many things that's important for the children.
Great Pay
Family Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 21, 2014
One of the best paying employers and lots of trainings though the management was not hands on in that they didn't know what was going on on the entry level arena.
Pros
great pay
Cons
head start unorganized
It was a meetings based environment
Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 27, 2014
A typical day would be traveling from center to center solving the various networking issues. I learned more about servers and internet based phones. Management held a lot of meetings about day to day operations. The teachers at the centers were excellent and a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job balancing work required and the meetings I had to attend. The most enjoyable part of the job was repairing the systems the children worked with and seeing how happy they were to be able to use it again.
Pros
my knowledge expanded
Cons
very expensive insurance
non-Profit Organizaton that places importance on the develpment of 3-5 year children
Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 30, 2014
shipping and receiving materials and merchandise to be recorded and stock as well as delivered to faculty and staff
Organized company to work for
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 5, 2014
I enjoyed working with this organization. The amount of information I obtained with this company was effective and I am still able to use this information on my current job. Working for Head Start and having this organization take over as the grantee for 4 years was excellent in many ways. We did not, as employees, have to fight with unemployment during the summer breaks...the company took care of all the initial paperwork. I would recommend other educators to work for this company, if opportunity was given.
A day of Smile working with young children
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 22, 2013
My typical day at work was assisting Teacher with daily classroom activities such as; keeping the classroom clean and orderly, singing songs, reading stories, finger play and supervise at mealtime
I also created bulletin boards for children artwork to be display throughout the classroom
The hardest part of the job is the end of the year, watching the young faces of the children leaving ready for kindergarten
The most enjoyable is reading to the children, to see their face and watch them get involved in the story as I read
I love working with my teachers, we always find new things to do in the classroom, no one day was the same but a day of new ideal and new adventure with the children
As a Mentor, I found CDI Head Start to be a promising program for the future of our children.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2013
Very productive, I learned how to help vulnerable chidren that were harmed by family and cummunity violence. Showed the families how to cope with the challenges of poverty. Working together with my co-workers we were able to branch out to serve the children and families affected by family and community violence by implementing new programs to support early childhood education and parent education.
Very straight forward place to work
Head Start employee (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 23, 2013
Very straight forward place to work. CDI is an interim management company, so employment with them is likely to be for the short term while a new Head Start Grantee is selected.
Pros
very honest and upfront about their role
Cons
health insurance is a bit pricey if you have a family. it's not bad if you are single however.
everyone one was on the same page
Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Ramona, CAFebruary 1, 2013
It truly amazes me now to notice that staff with this company were all on the same page. It really does make everything run smoother. I appreciate the open communication the center had with one another. I learned how to work with others and how to work by myself. The most enjoyed part of my job was being able to independently be responsible for my own job.
Pros
independence
Cons
unreliable walkie talkies
great
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAJanuary 18, 2013
Serving students breakfast, lunch. and snack. Having circle time and then after doing and activity with them. Doing activities with the kids is what I enjoy most. Assistant the teacher with teaching and paper work including filing and record keep. Supervising the students in the classroom and on the playground keeping the safe and helping them develop good fine and gross motor skills.What I hate most is saying good bye when they leave to go home.
Pros
working with students.
Cons
not enough time to work with each child individually.