COMMUNITY EDUCATION CENTERS, INC. Employee Reviews

I loved the job but did not like management
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMay 8, 2017
I really enjoyed working with the clients, however management made it very difficult to get time off for simple reasons (i.e. a sick child). Management was not supportive in helping counselors achieve stated goals thereby making the environment unnecessarily stressful.
Clinical Director is a joke
Clinical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MiamiMay 5, 2017
Lacks consistency with rules and stucture making it a dangerous place to work around inmates. New hires have no experience. Clienical director is a poor excuse of Administration, provides no support other than needing to be liked. It's all just about money. Curriculum is not followed it's a free for all and inmates are not learning life skills inside to prepare them for outside.
Pros
No pros
Cons
You are treated as an inmate
decent
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJApril 19, 2017
Great place to start to get your foot in the door. Typical day consists of running groups, creating treatment plans, meeting with clients on individual basis.
poor work ethics
Operations Counselor (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 28, 2017
There was no structure the pay sucked and the training they provided was even worse you put your life at risk for a measly 12.02 an hour and they expect you to be able to handle 136+ hostile inmates most of them parole violators that don't care whether they get out or go back in and the training was a joke 4 little days of PPCT (Pressure Point Control Tactics) and hand cuff training most of the time your watching power points trying to stay awake the job is not worth your time or your life steer clear
Great program
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooksville, FLMarch 15, 2017
I enjoyed my time at this job. I would work there again under different circumstances. In a typical day you meet with participants for group and individual counseling sessions and lectures. You will be responsible for weekly and monthly documentation. The coworkers, supervisor and other counselors are very helpful and professional. This is a great job for a new graduate to cut their teeth on. The job is inside of a women's prison so there is protocol to follow but nothing outrageous. The women are very receptive to the program and this makes the job even better.
Pros
Great office space. Knowledgeable supervisor. Great schedule.
Cons
No room for growth. Interrupted lunch break.
It was in a state prison!
Journey Counselor (Former Employee) –  Imperial, CAJanuary 16, 2017
This job was at the CENTINELA STATE PRISON! It was a "SATP" (Substance Abuse Treatment Program) that CDCR (CA Dept. of Corrections and Rehabilitation) hired to run this program inside the state prison. While the structure of the program was SOLID, the program director was questionable, and CDCR "oversight" staff were IDIOTS!
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Hostile inmates, and CDCR staff that do not care about the program structure
You will also be treated like an inmate
Tully Clinician (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 14, 2017
Low salary, poor management who are uneducated the shadiest employees as favorites as promoted . Do as they say and look the other way. Good experience if you are working towards licensure, then run
Pros
Some inmates want the help
Cons
No true breaks, lunches. Uneducated management, no support nor training
The pay is the problem
Counselor (Former Employee) –  FloridaDecember 22, 2016
The worst problem is the pay. My supervisor was good. I did group and individual counseling but it only paid $12.69 an hour, who can work for that, a few months I had to go. Time off and health and other benefits were OK.
Weak Staff and Supervisors are a joke
Counselor (Current Employee) –  PAOctober 11, 2016
What an incompetent and ineffective job CEC does. Counselors have weak backgrounds, but supervisors have no relevant experience or education at all. Lots of napping, sitting around, and wasting time with a company that delivers nothing. I'm shocked that they got a contract with the State and continue to produce negative results.
Pros
Cons
Incompetent supervisors with no leadership skill or lnowledge
stable company and job, but behind the times
Clinical Program Director (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 1, 2016
Pay is the lowest I have ever received as a licensed clinician working as a Clinical Program Director. This company will not be able to keep staff long or even have applicants want to apply or have quality trained staff with the current salary. Counselors work very hard and they are not paid well so there is a high turnover rate. Counselors seem to be overworked with all their responsibilities. Hire additional staff and use a computer system vs. paper charting system. Focus more on your employees and the benefits you offer to your staff. DOC MH Dept. and the CEC Dept. communication is poor and they should work as a team. New employee orientation and training was poor.
Pros
program has a curriculum that is used.
Cons
pay, lack of communication between CEC and DOC, staff turnover
This company sucks
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 23, 2016
I worked there for 4 years and even though I loved the people I worked with the overall company is horrible to work for. Law wages, no support, and you just get the feeling they don't care about the employees. The health benefits are good but that's the only positive I can think of.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Very Poor Company to work for!
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  CMRC Colorado SpringsJuly 21, 2016
I had worked for this company for over five years and it was the worst experience I had ever been in. I worked as a therapist and was asked to have a case load of 135+ required to keep long hours and with no further compensation. The company has had numerous unethical violations towards their employees without an increase in pay for over eight years. The supervisors are inexperienced and often are not monitored for further ethical violations. In my opinion, this company needs to be shut down for breeches of contract with Department of Corrections as well as how they treat the offenders. There are plenty of places to work in Colorado if you have experience in the field of psychology going into CEC would be a bad mistake.
Pros
They provide benefits and a paycheck.
Cons
Poor Supervisors, unethical professionalism, DORA violations, no raises, violent environment with extreme safety violations in terms of working with offenders.
Program Counselor
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 20, 2016
I've only worked 2 weeks for that company, and they were misleading from the start. During my interview I was told I could do individual and group therapy, and this was a lie. They won't allow you to do individual therapy because they dont want female counselors near the inmates because they think this will somehow lead to flirting. Not being able to interact with the inmates makes it extremely hard to write real progress notes, and many people end up writing fake notes. The lack of one on one interaction with inmates defeats the purpose of hiring program counselors. There is no group therapy, you just have to teach classes. They have limited computers therefore you cannot write notes or do online trainings. You don't have any office space. This is a very low paying job for someone who has a graduate degree, so don't even bother applying because they will pay you the same amount as someone with a bachelors degree. CEC has a high turnover rate, the oldest staff member has been there for a year... The rest are all new. Do not expect any guidance or training from supervisors, you're on your own.
Pros
Some coworkers are good and willing to help you out
Cons
Short breaks, not allowed to use cellphones, strict dresscode, no opportunity for growth, low pay
On the spot interview is a bad sign.
Corrections (Former Employee) –  PaJune 1, 2016
Went in for an interview. Seemed disorganized. Short staffed. Temperamental employees. Low pay. High risk. On top of that its unionized so even less pay. And during training $2 less pay. I heard all bad things. Had to turn it down.
Pros
A job.
Cons
A bad job. All. Mostly cons
I would do it all over again under different Circumstances
Journey counselor (Former Employee) –  Susanville state PrisonFebruary 16, 2016
I would do it all over again if I were to get into a different facility
the learning/ training experience could have been better but it was a good place to work. The Director was awesome she handled most situations to the best of her ability as well as HR Dept.
Pros
its a good place to start when the facility management and staff use ethics
Cons
racial remarks are often over looked and supervisor is lazy
former counselor program (Reading, PA)
counselor (Former Employee) –  reading paFebruary 10, 2016
Overall if you focus on the positive aspects of the company's, is fairly good to be familiar on the correctional system. The basic training is great, the opportunity to growth is not bad, my clinical supervisors were very professional. In terms of benefits they are okay, but to be a private company the pay is ridiculous for the amount of work. This company is still in the Stone age in term of technology, what you could do in 30 minutes with them probably will take more than tedious hours. The good thing is that as Counselor you operate under their license.
Pros
free inmates lunch, paycheck on time, low income.
Cons
as a counselor you should execute tasks that security staff must do it. over case load, no health services inside of the facility, they even have a doctor.
Do even waste your time
counselor (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 19, 2015
It's not worth the pay, time, or experience. Don't even waste your time in applying. Too far to travel too. Staff is rude, not concerned, it's a terrible mess!
Pros
none at allll
Cons
false hope
Love the ethics of this company
TRANSITIONAL COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Calipatria, CAOctober 8, 2015
i am happy here but will always be ready to go for long term permanent employment. CEC is the best I have worked for and has the most contracts around US so i am excited to have a lot more choice in being able to stay employed by the same company until retirement
Can't Wait to get out!
Program Counselor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILSeptember 16, 2015
I have been working here for about a year now. No room to move up in the company. Supervisor is terrible. No training or direction from supervisor. I feel that I am really on my own and the company is just waiting for me to crash and burn.
Pros
State Benefits
Cons
Management, Caseload, Low Pay, No Supplies, No Support
Run!!!!!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  FloridaMay 7, 2015
Staff is semi-okay supervisor horrible horrible horrible and all you are doing is being watched more then the clients my advice is don't reply don't go run away run far and run fast
Pros
There are none
Cons
Too many to list