Community Education Centers Employee Reviews

Great management, great potential and personal growth
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2017
My position at this company was beyond anything I had done previously. I learned a great deal while working here doing price proposals and how to submit bids and determine pricing. Additionally, I worked with individual divisional directors on budgeting and analysis of monthly financial results.
Pros
Great people to work and learn from.
Cons
Company was sold
Sometimes supervisors are in favor of workers salary increase but head office does nothing.
Administrative Assistant/Clinical Support (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLNovember 27, 2017
Compensation for the employees actually doing the work is not adequate. Inspite of the low salary employees gave 100%. It was a pleasure working with our clientele. We gave our all because those who we worked with needed for us to go above and beyond for them.
love the job
Director of Alumni Services (Current Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJNovember 8, 2017
started working here in 2000, was given the opportunity to advance several times. can not say anything bad about my experience working for this company. the company however was brought out by another company so CEC no longer exist. this place gave opportunities to many who in other cases wouldnt have any .
draining and stressful
Grievance Coordinator/ Central Files Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thornton, PANovember 5, 2017
It was a very draining and miserable place to work. co-works were great, most management was wonderful meanwhile the others brought the morale down. I enjoyed my job itself but the nature of the place was draining.
most enjoyable part of the job
Training Lieutenant (Former Employee) –  Caldwell, NJOctober 23, 2017
Enjoyed working with the majority of the staff. As a mid management employee I worked very closely with corporate and upper management staff. I grew
Pros
Very family oriented
Cons
lot of over time
Great way to cut your teeth out of college, but nothing more.
Counselor I (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILOctober 7, 2017
A pretty consistent day both being different and the same all at once. As a counselor, you are expected to provide group therapy related to drug and alcohol education and life skill development to help the clients/inmates make better choices upon re-entering the community.

More often than not, this agency is located within a correctional setting and faces expectations and requirements based on this setting that may limit your intervention techniques, therapeutic buy-in, and support.

Also, it seems as if everyone is sleeping with one another--married and single people alike, so if you value your relationship, you have to be strong in your personal convictions.
Pros
Free lunches, don't take your work home with you, great way to cut your teeth
Cons
Conflicts of interest, administrators are ex-addicts
Criminal Justice Department
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Reading, PA 19601September 29, 2017
I love to work with this population and work in the helping profession. I learned a lot about documentation, assessments, and counseling theories. The hardest part was low payment. The most enjoyable was my co workers and boss, they were awesome, team players.
Pros
Learning a lot about RR, 12 steps AA & NA
Cons
low pay
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VA 23328September 27, 2017
Atypical work day involved facilitating groups in and morning and afternoon all day everyday. The bulk of the work day was in the housing unit with the clients. I enjoyed seeing clients go through the change process, and coming out as better men.
Pros
Influencing men to change for the better.
Cons
Not enough time for documentation.
This company is mainly concerned about profit!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 26, 2017
The staff was great to work with. The environment is harsh between staff and corporate. Very cut throat. The company never is on the side of the employee. Always the inmates. You can get fired at the drop of a dime. This company puts money before employees.
Pros
The working staff was great
Cons
Never salary increases in the years I was there.
Very organized facility.
Operations Counselor (Former Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJSeptember 21, 2017
Very organized facility. Managemnet often treats staff as if they are inmates themselves. Workplace culture is very cut-throat. Hardest part of the job is standing for hours on end and then expected to do mandatory overtime to be on your feet for more hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually the inmates.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Harsh management style
I didn't like that the were able to fire you immediately without explanation, because there wasn't a union
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  100-140 Lincoln Highway, Kearny, New Jersey 07032September 20, 2017
I loved the job overall. It allowed me to practice my craft in a clean and healthy environmemt
The people were friendly and helpful
The teamwork with other departments allowed us to understand the needs of the resident being processed in or out of the facility
Terrible place to work
Case worker (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJSeptember 18, 2017
High turnover
Management does not care about the population
Lack of resources
Unprofessional Staff Members
Good entry-level job for persons straight out of college
Would not recommend this employer.
Health Services Administrator (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYSeptember 8, 2017
This company does not care about its employees, the work environment, or treating all employees fairly. In addition, the orientation is lacking in most areas and you are expected to self-orient.
Cons
Challenge inside a men's prison
Transitional Counselor / Supervising Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAAugust 15, 2017
Working inside a state prison with men has it's own set of challenges. Groups and education groups are often stopped due to prison politics. The contract is reviewed every 2 years and this contract ended 6/2017.
Was a exciting place to work
Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  300 Frelinghyson ave newark new JerseyAugust 4, 2017
Reviewing all operational documentation from the previous day. Walking through the facility.
Attending staff meeting
conversing with outside vendors.
Pros
assisting consumers reintegrate back into society.
Cons
Overall a wonderful group of people to work with and for.
Business Manager/Human Resources/Payroll (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 6, 2017
They could invest a little more time and effort into their employees. I believe employees with proper training and clearer understanding of their positions and duties would benefit both the employee and the company they work for.
if you value your safety and sanity dont go work there
Program Counselor (Former Employee) –  floridaJune 12, 2017
your on your own you don't get staff support and the facility I worked at safety was a concern. there was more drama from staff then inmates. it is an easy job except management sucks.
Good experience
Human Services Professional (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 6, 2017
CEC was bought out by a new company, GEO, and the Camp Aspen will be shutting down on 7/31/17. It is a good entry level position to learn group, individual, and family counseling skills as well as to learn about the legal system as it relates to juveniles.
ok job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bonham, TXJune 5, 2017
its a good place to work at. the pay and benefits are great for this area. the people are great! the job can be stressful, but only if you make it. some of the management needs to be replaced though!
Pros
free lunch, good pay
Cons
some of the managment needs to be replaced
Fun workplace
Senior Counselor/Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 18, 2017
They kept their employees engaged with each other through the monthly socials. Otherwise, there would be no interaction between staff members In addition, it kept the culture of the workplace one that was pleasing and welcoming.
Pros
Excellent vacation package
Cons
Poor compensation