Community Health Systems Employee Reviews

Good place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLNovember 13, 2017
Sometimes they micromanage you but overall its a good place to work! Great benefits and alot of room to grow with the company if you apply yourself and try.
CHS has many positives but corporate financial situation is not stable
N/A (Current Employee) –  Springdale, ARNovember 7, 2017
Pay is lower than industry standards. High turn over causes chaotic work environment. Since CHS is losing money, they are not able to invest in personnel and infrastructure.
Pros
Lots of friendly employees
Cons
Poor pay
Fast Paced environment with the ability to learn more but inability to advance through company unless you are able to travel
Eligibility Screening Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lititz, PANovember 4, 2017
Overall CHS was a great place to work. It was a very fast paced environment and we received constant training to stay up to date. The pay was very good in the beginning but the amount of the raises were enough for coffee in the morning. You are micro-managed but as long as you stay up to what you are supposed to do you don't have to worry about management. Benefits were OKAY if you went to a CHS hospital, but as soon as you went to a regular doctor the insurance didn't cover anything. If you had a procedure done at the facility it was completely written off. I would still be with the company if they wouldn't have sold the hospital that I was working in. The only way that I would have been able to stay in the company is if I was willing to travel 3-5 days a week. This is not traveling with in a reasonable distance you may have had to go to another state.
Pros
fast paced work environment, good starting pay, good training
Cons
health care, no room for advancement with in company if not able to travel
Fast paced for the most part, on the phone all day.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNNovember 3, 2017
This job has great benefits and is a great job if you don't mind being on the phone and handling multiple screens and accounts at the same time. They say there is career advancement but so far it has been very hard to move into a different position.
Stressful
Inpatient Coding Specialist Coder III (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 3, 2017
I worked for Lutheran Health Systems will we got bought out by Community Health Systems. I was able to grandfather my hours and pay at CHS. I did not receive PTO or timeoff with pay while working for Lutheran only as a continuous PRN. We have had 3 managers in 9 months starting in January 2016. Two of them were let go and now we have had a new one since October 2016. The hardest part of my job is the mircomanagement of the current manager. We are asked to let her know if we have issues, but when you do, she treats you your bothering her and taking time away from her job. She has sent me nasty e-mails on my performance however, she never worked with the systems as I have for the past 14 years. Her education or lack of education is a joke. There is nothing positive or enjoyable about my job anymore. There must be a better management team and coding team out there who will accept my valuable skills.
Pros
Cons
As I mentioned earlier
Excellent working environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 2, 2017
I enjoyed working at CHS and felt like a valued member of the team. If the opportunity presented itself I would definitely work for CHS in the future
Pros
Excellent working environment.
Wonderful Staff and Benefits package
Sr. Manager IS (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 30, 2017
CHS offers an excellent benefit package. The staff are dedicated and hard working despite the fact of poor and antiquated leadership. If you are willing to take a stand for the employees and refuse to perform task that are questionable, you remove yourself from the promotion track.
Pros
Poor Management
Cons
benefits and staff
Managers do not work
Master Data Analyst, CHS (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 25, 2017
Most of the employees were uneducated and had absolutely no computer skills whatsoever. Not professional! Data managers with no clue how to use something as basic as excel or outlook.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Lousy co workers
Bully Managers
Senior Storage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNOctober 24, 2017
Managers were obnoxious bully bosses who rule by intimidation, insist on getting their way and fly off the handle easily. They treat subordinates like children and seldom ask for anyone's input.
Manipulator bosses are backstabbers who'll go to frightening lengths to look good to their superiors.
Pros
Employees are great people to work with.
Cons
Bosses prey on employees' weaknesses, they find great thrills in treating the workplace like a battlefield, once they sense an employee's soft spot, they pounce on it. The unsuspecting victim doesn't stand a chance.
Great Place to work at
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 18, 2017
Typically my day consist of receiving a medical bill and having to request the medical bill and making sure it gets to the correct payer. The management is great! I love them! I also love the workplace, very friendly staff, easy going. My job isn't hard and I enjoy the fact that there is always something to do.
Company has fallen on hard times and is shedding assets
Regional Dir, Medical Staff Development (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 9, 2017
For the first 12 years at CHS I would rate the corporate climate and company future very highly. Then the company made a huge mistake in buying another hospital ownership company (HMA) without adequate due diligence. Took on WAY too much debt and hasn't been able to "turn around" operations/finances at many of the acquired facilities. As a result CHS has a mountain of debt, the stock price has plummeted (from high $50s to under $10 per share), and the company is selling off assets to try to survive. The company has made a number of bad decisions on management issues and is seeing accelerating turn-over as valuable people realize they can do better elsewhwere.
Poor management
Eligibility Representative (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXOctober 4, 2017
The workload was not evenly distributed among employees.
Some team members were given limited responsibilities and accountability. Lack of management
Pros
incentives based on productivity
Cons
poor management, minimum benefits
great
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNOctober 3, 2017
Wonderful company to work for, the pay is awesome and this company goes above and beyond for their employees, Some of the managers I don't think deserve the positions but the company as a whole is wonderful.
Was an ok place to work
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNOctober 1, 2017
Very long hours. Management was not very supportive. Good medical benefits. They had a 401K plan. Location was very good when I started, however, they moved to a very isolated area.
good
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 26, 2017
good and friendly environment. They are experiencing loses. so that's they are selling hospitals and laying of people. they give reasonably good benifits.
Great work environment
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 25, 2017
Managers are great! There is no micromanagement, great benefits and discounts if you use the companies hospitals, room for growth and promotions. The call center environment is pretty laid back.
Pros
small call center environment
Cons
company moved to Antioch and it is now really far for me.
Not a good work culture
Director (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 24, 2017
Management and VPs are highly stressed and the pressures are taken out on lower level staff. Department stress and tension makes for an extremely hostile work environment.
great place to work
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNSeptember 23, 2017
CHS promoted within the company, there was room for all employees to grow. an education program (college tuition) was available to anyone who wanted to do better in their careers
Pros
promotion with in the corporation
Cons
not up front about the divesture, short notice of layoffs
Good stress Free environment
Financial Analyst (Accountant) (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, FLSeptember 22, 2017
I like the atmosphere of working here. The administrative and nursing staff are very hard working and appreciative. The commute for me is very short and co workers are extremely helpful.
Enjoyable Job!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 21, 2017
A great place to work. The staff is knowledgeable and proficient in their work. One of my most favorite jobs that I have had. The providers are comfortable in their knowledge base and not afraid to share tips/information to succeed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Health Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9