Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula Employee Reviews

Beautiful on the outside
RN (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CANovember 8, 2016
Nice looking campus with a putting green for patients as well. Staff are very friendly, courteous, and professional. Management is trying to make over the work culture with the patient as its center, but some clinician groups are hindering the process. They offer benefits which they justify as current with the market. I would assert that as a hospital, benefits for staff should be better than what the 'current market' bears.
Wonderful hospital, excellent employees
Social Worker Hospice of the Central Coast (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CANovember 3, 2016
CHOMP is a wonderful hospital to work for. They give autonomy to employees surrounding program development. However, their are limited opportunities for advancement.
Nice hospital, horrible management
RN (Former Employee) –  Main hospitalJune 22, 2016
Over the time I was there the management does not want anyone new and they have have been there for years therefore it will only be the way they will say and the only way they know. I saw it all when it comes to running a hospital. They couldn't pay be double to work there ever again. Get rid of all your management team and you may be able to get some real professionals to work there.
Pros
Nice facilitiy, new equipment
Cons
Great benefits & that's about it
Registrar/Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMay 19, 2016
This hospital is over-rated! Don't be fooled by the great ratings. This place has great benefits and that's about it!! No comment after that is going to be nice. CHOMP does NOT care about it's EMPLOYEES or PATIENTS. Their fees are way over priced & the care is NOT that great (for all that $$$$$$$$).
Pros
Great pay (but not worth the B/S), benefits (that's it!!)
Cons
POOR MANAGEMENT
Not a fun welcoming place
Registrar / ER Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAApril 13, 2016
Horrible training and direction. Staff unfriendly. You don't have a voice in the department if you are a new employee. I'm sure it's a great hospital if you work for a department that is team work oriented and the staff is friendly. High turn over in the PA department. Other matters that will not be discussed.
Pros
Cons
Poor training, poor direction, poor staff attitude, poor management.
Excellent organization with experienced professionals. It was a privilege to work with everyone at Community Hospital.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my nearly eight years at Community Hospital in Monterey. I gathered a great deal of knowledge about the health care industry and the opportunities available to the employees was unsurpassed.
Awful work enviornment
Don't want to say (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CADecember 19, 2015
Supervisors rule over employees. Expected to figure out your job with no direction, because they don't know the job. It's a good thing I didn't work directly with patients.
Pros
Not even a nice environment since I worked off campus.
Cons
Supervisors, Managers don't care what your work load is.
Supportive, dedicated team of professionals
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CANovember 6, 2015
Spend most of my time in direct service, providing counseling and case management to patients and families.

Enjoy working with my co-workers and have learned a great deal about the different disciplines (e.g., nursing, speech therapy, physical therapy).

Most challenging part of job is prioritizing needs of patients when the patient census is high.

Most enjoyable part of the job is providing counseling to patients and families.
Easily the best hospital job I've ever had
Staff/Crisis RN (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAOctober 8, 2015
Very clean/beautiful facility in an area rich in natural beauty. Staff were great. Pay/benefits excellent. Providing food in cafeteria for overnight workers is something I've never experienced and the food was good (night shift workers in a hospital are often ignored). My now wife started her career as a nurse there and the mentorship was incredible. Staff were incredibly supportive and helped mold her into the incredible nurse she is today. We only left because we wanted to get a home, but while the pay was good, we weren't close to being millionaires who could afford a home in the area (mid 2000s before the housing bubble burst).
Cons
nothing comes to mind
great hospital
Emergency Dept. Staff RN, MICN (Former Employee) –  monterey californiaJuly 1, 2015
I absolutely loved working here and have nothing but great things to say from the first day of orientation to my last day at work party. The hospital gives you uniforms every year and a education allowance to use anywhere you wish. Encourages health and wellness with the great food selections in cafeteria to the personal menus to order room service as an ER patient. Very upscale and detail to the way staff and visitors are treated. I would return id i still lived in area.
Benefits Are Great!
Medical Biller (Current Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 9, 2015
I enjoy every aspect of my job, I enjoy the work I do and I believe I do it well, I enjoy my co-workers, I get along great with most people. Hardest part of my day is dealing with difficult accounts that I'm having a hard time solving, this doesn't happen often, but when it does I ask for help from a fellow employee or my supervisor.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Hours, Days
Busy hospital
Student Technologist (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAApril 29, 2015
this 400+ bed hospital stayed busy. Even though I was a student at the time, I was treated as a technologist.I learned how to handle critical situations.
Very poor management
Tech (Former Employee) –  Allied healthMarch 17, 2015
Beautiful area but terrible work culture. Management rules and those who do the work have no say. I have seen co-worker fired for no apparent reason.
Pros
Nice area
Cons
Poor working environment
working in the field of helping others
Patient Access (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAFebruary 4, 2014
in a typical day I would start off my day jumping in and taking over from the other persons duties. I would see who needed to be registered and what form of id's I would collect from the patient. I've learned to understand how to register patients that were foreign and homeless, or they would come in by ambulance or they would be a victim of some sort. The hardest part of my job would be, seeing children really ill just cant help themselves due to their condition, also the elderly who are or have dementia not knowing where they are at. My enjoyable part of my job was that I can put a smile on some of the ill patients. Some of them did not have any family and all they needed was a holding hand.
Pros
The hospital had great benefits, gave all employes flu shots, free meals for holidays, discounts for the gift store.
Cons
not enough longer lunches. Wish we had at least a hour.
Professional enviornment. Great learning experience.
Echo Tech (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJune 29, 2013
Studies performed: echoes, treadmills, transesophegeal echoes, EKG's. Learned how to perform my skills beyond the best of my ability. Working at Community Hosp. really challenged me to succeed and do more. Many opportunities were available for growth. I received 7 Community Hospital Improvement Plan Awards during my 16 years there.
Pros
Clean and cheerful hospital enviornment with exceptional staff.
Cons
Need to expand my hours at the time.
Voted one of Americas 100 best hospitals...in the top 5% of patient safety.
LVN (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAMarch 8, 2013
I was an employee as well as a patient.....You are not a number, you are not an injury, you are not an illness. You are a person to all staff. Never ever worked for a facility that goes above and beyond for all patients, and the community. Great place to work, and live.
Pros
free meals to all employees who car pool.
Cons
no cons....excellent place to work.
Great compensation and benefits, beautiful facility and good resources
Main Pavilion / Staff nurse (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAJanuary 9, 2013
Days are pleasantly challenging and productive. I've learned Nursing is the greatest profession in the world. I've worked in mostly in Critical Care throughout my career: Telemetry / Step down and floating to ICU. I've worked as both a staff nurse and management. Regardless of my position I have always worked well with co-workers. Working nights for me was extremely difficult, not the work but the inability to get adequate sleep during the day. The most enjoyable part of my job throughout my career is at the bedside, providing patients with this best care I can deliver. I have incredible pride in the care I give my patients, because they deserve our very best
Pros
excellent facility, equipment and resources
Cons
working nights
CHOMP is a non-union hospital, mid-sized, with very competitive salary and benefits packages.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CaliforniaOctober 25, 2012
I have enjoyed my 18 years at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. They helped me get started with their WorkStudy program in conjunction with Monterey Peninsula College's Nursing Program. The orthopedic unit where I spent 17 years is a busy post-surgical unit. Average surgeries per day is 5, some days as many as 11. The unit has 20 beds. Team work is essential. Patients either go home after a few days with home care or transfer to a rehabilitation facility a few miles away, owned by the hospital. We are often discharging patients and receiving new patients simultaneously. The nurses have a good working relationship with the Medical Staff. The hospital also supports a Hospitalist program that is very efficient. Patient safety and customer satisfaction are the key words at CHOMP.
Pros
wonderful lunch room with in and outside dinning, fantastic kitchen, reasonably priced.
Cons
recent budget cuts, staffing cuts, central supply hours shortened, increasing paperwork.
Great professional, fast paced, multi tasking work environment
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CaliforniaSeptember 19, 2012
Great place to work. The pace in the Emergency Room was one that shifts flew by! Often we would carry over to next shifts, which could make your day a little longer, but you always did what you had to do for the department.
The hospital was a professional, policy and procedure oriented environment.
Although the turnover was frequent, it was still a place that you had to learn to rely on each other in the most stressful of circumstances.
Pros
fast paced, enjoyable work
Cons
handling families that had lost young loved ones.
I'd rather not
REGISTERED NURSE - EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CAAugust 23, 2012
Lots of politics and clicks. Great nurses clinically. Beautiful campus. Great produce in Monterey, can't be beat. Hospital has a wonderful education program.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2