Community Living Opportunities Employee Reviews

Too many hours/no home life
CLO (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KS 66285December 6, 2016
The agency wants to basically own you. They work you extra overtime hours,but them criticize you for it. When you are a family teaching couple they expect you to be avaliable to work seven days a week. There is no home life at times. They force you to go on vacation,but that is interrupted peridocally and often.
Pros
CLO wouuld never provide those
Cons
They do not care if we are healthy or not..we work anyway
Wonderful Family Environment
Home Coach (QDDP) (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 6, 2016
This is a wonderful place to work! The entire company is willing to help when needed and they all go out of their way to help all the time. It is a great place to work! I would return to this company and work for them again.
Pros
Family Envinronment
Cons
No health insurance
great learning opportunity
Teacher/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Iola, KSNovember 8, 2016
I think this is a great opportunity if you are interested in special needs. You get to spend alot of time getting to know your consumers and your co-workers this is an overall great experience
Great envirement to work with everyday.
Teacher/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 21, 2015
The consumer's were wonderful, wonderful HR department. Great place to work for very exciting place to be everyday. Wonderful co workers to spend long days with. The extra programs were also very wonderful
Pros
Wonderful schedule and activities
Cons
Laid off due to budget cuts
Exciting people/clients to work with
Family Teaching Couple (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 4, 2015
Hired and trained staff for our houses that we managed. Most enjoyable part of job was working with the clients and being a part of thier lives. Getting to teach them skills and watch them succeed.
Pros
Friendships created with clients as they accomplished goals everyday
Cons
Unreliable hours, moved without much notice to new houses to work
Great company
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 3, 2015
Nice place to work.. very friendly people. Management really listens to the employees and always ready to assist. I have some of the best co- workers and the team work is marvelous. This job is full of adventure and we get to do a lot of fun stuff like movies, picnics and road trips.
Pros
free meals
Cons
n/a
productive work place
Direct Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  kansasMay 20, 2015
productive work place, good communication. learned how to train new employees. teach new skills for the mentally challenge individual. hardest part of the job is when team member does not do their job.
Pros
nothing
Cons
healthcare
Rewarding
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 5, 2015
Getting to know the special needs environment is challenging and rewarding. Learning to respect these individuals always reminded me never to underestimate a special needs individual. Some of them have more life skills than others, but you would be amazed at what they can accomplish or overcome.
na
Assistant supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSFebruary 2, 2015
Great place to work although the pay is not as competitive as other companies in close related fields.
management is nice.
All employees work in a good team spirit.
tough job, not for faint at heart
House Manager for developmentally disabled clients (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSDecember 1, 2014
Not a lot of training and bad support. Medical environment and challenging situations abound. Co-workers are shown to be quick to turn you in for anything, Not a whole lot of support for the house managers, and staffing is hit or miss.

Company stands for something very good and some are trying to make a difference. But for too many it is just a paycheck.
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours and hazardous environment

Want to know more about Community Living Opportunities?

Ask a question
I love this place.
Teaching Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSOctober 22, 2014
Co workers were great. Pay isn't great at all. I loved the individuals, such a joy.
You get the opprotunity to meet some great people.
FTC (Current Employee) –  LawrenceSeptember 14, 2014
I worked with individuals with mental disabilities doing personal care as well as running programs. I worked 4 twelve hour days and had meetings or paperwork on the other three days. Management is okay but the healthcare field is always changing so hopefully it will get better. The hardest part of the job is something is always changing. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know some really great people.
Pros
Free housing and meals
Cons
long work days, always on call, no real days off
Loved the clients but, not the workplace.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 2, 2014
The easiest part of this job was caring for the clients that I was in charge of for the day. Most of the clients were a joy to be with and made the day go by much faster. I would have to plan a day out for each client to make sure they had enough social activities to do throughout the day and reach their daily goals. What made this workplace hard were the co-workers and the workplace. Not only was it a bit of a hostile environment, on my first day there it was uncomfortable. Of course not all of the staff were like this, just a few and this was reported. This workplace would wear me out by the end of the day because there is much lifting and you must be careful when doing this with your clients no matter how small. Overall, I did enjoy spending time with my clients and was happy to make their lives a little easier.
Pros
Working with appreciative clients.
Cons
Working with some harassing and hostile staff.
People with disabilities Rock
Family Teaching Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, ksAugust 22, 2014
Took direct care of persons with disabilities including hygiene, budgets, daily schedules, record keeping, independent living. Loved being around the guys I cared for they made me laugh, cry, and gave me motivation when needed. they only thing about this job that was difficult was dealing with the administration.
Pros
Working with disabled
Cons
Administration
Friendly staff
Team Leader / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 11, 2014
The hardest part of this job was being able to balance my personal life with my work life. Overall this was one of the best jobs I had mainly because I stayed busy. I learned a lot from working with this company such as inputting data, how important it is to document, how to build relationships, how to make quick decisions that may impact someone else's life permanently, and how to stay hippa compliant.
Pros
free meals
Cons
long work days
working with MR:IDD individuals
Team Leader/ Supervisor (Current Employee) –  lenexa ksJune 3, 2014
helping individuals with daily life skills. Fun activities in the community. help with all doctors appointments.Manage a staff 13 and a home of 8 consumers.I have a great relationship with my co-workers.
Pros
The joy of working will MR:IDD individuals
Cons
low salaries
Rewarding Employment
Teacher/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSApril 16, 2014
Working with the individuals in a group setting is very rewarding. We become a family and learn about each other. Guiding individuals to help them maintain their individuality and strengthen their individual abilities helps individuals to grow in the least restrictive environment.
Pros
Working in a group family setting, eating and preparing meals together, spending time in the community when possible.
Cons
Pay and distance to and from work.
Good College Job
One-on-One Interventionist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJanuary 6, 2014
Worked here to make additional money during college and it led me to my career and passion.
former ftm couple
family teaching couple (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSNovember 20, 2013
I would have to say that this job takes over your life ya sure its nice to live rent free but , its almost like they own every min of your day . Even on days u had off someone would be knocking on your door. There was no family time ever , if u r gonna take this job I would have to say only take it if u dont have kids because your kids will never see u . Also the management sucks I and my husband we there for 3 years and went through 5 different manager's, and the turn over with staff is horrible because they hire anyone . They pay sucks u work overtime all the time because people call in and the sub pool sucks so u end up working. They can move u at the drop of a hat , that means your kids change schools all the time. And the way they mofe the clients from home to home , its so sad . They talk about them building frienships but how can they do that if u move them away from people they have lived with for years and just up and move them. They also have the couples filling out paperwork to make the client look as bad as they can on paper so they more money from funding. My husband and I fought the last year or so that we were there , but now that we dont work there anymore our marriage is back to normal.
Pros
free rent and teaching amazing clients
Cons
pay, management, no life, long hours with no overtime pay.
Great place to Intern!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 19, 2013
I loved working at CLO because it is a non profit organization which helps people with special needs and disabilites. I learned at CLO that everyone has a flaw but it takes a true perosn to look beyond those flaws. Managment at CLO was phenomenol. The hardest part of the job was filing all of the paperwork becasue it seemed like it was never ending, but at the end of the it put a smile on my face to know that i was doing this for a good cause and helping families that couldnt really do much for themselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Living Opportunities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8