COMMUNITY LIVING OPTIONS Employee Reviews in United States

Low key job
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  Zimmerman, MNJanuary 17, 2016
A typical day would be getting residents up and ready for the day, making and serving breakfast, doing dishes, planning activities, doing laundry, going on outings, giving snacks, documenting what went on during the day for each resident.
A great place to learn hands on healthcare.
Medical Assistantant (Program Support Staff) (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 15, 2016
No room for advancement. You will not stay employed long if you don't fill in for people who need coverage or if you don't accept the shifts and sites they assign for you.
Full time benefits are amazing and full time is 35 hours per week.
Horriffic, Unethical & Illegal
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Should the state or federal government come in and review this company, they would be shut down immediately. They need a complete restructuring of the business from corporate all the way down to their bottom line. They are harming the residents whom they claim to be caring for.
Care provider
Care provider (Former Employee) –  Chico CaMay 21, 2015
A typical day would consist of cleaning,cooking, dispensing medicine as well as keep daily logs on each individual that was cared for
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
works alone no relief for breaks, low wages
Good starting job
House Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanchfield, MNMay 11, 2015
Typical work day as a House Manager includes checking schedule, returning phone calls, emails, completing various forms, reading communication book, checking shift duties, balancing client and house check books and doing 6 hours of direct care 3 nights per week. Implementation of programs as per each client’s individual needs. Ensured that there is adequate staffing for the house I supervise. The job also incudes filling out various financial aid forms, quarterly and annual reports on clients’ progress and give valuable input on various programs.

Hardest part of the job is trying to provide service for our individuals and keeping up with all current regulations and procedures. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing service for people to become as independent as possible. Co-workers tend to be caring individuals that want to help other people.
Pros
Provide free meals, 401 k, time off and competive wages.
Cons
No room for advancement, Average Health Care benifits
A productive day .
Designated Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hugo Mn.February 24, 2015
A typical day at work includes but not limited too, each day is different depending on the needs of my clients, I will manage individuals in crisis, creating goals creating support plans, updating forms and files, keeping communication between IDT members. Ensuring that policies and procedures are being followed as directed. I check with my house managers to be sure that they are having the supports they need. I will create staffing schedules, maintain our monthly meetings. I track mileage and receipts with company vehicles. I keep track of Payroll. I budget office supplies. I work with Dr. teams to provide the best care we can in the homes. I hold quarterly, Semi and annual IDT meetings. I have clients who are CD and we try to create the best plans we can to help support them in sobriety.
The hardest part of my day is assisting in filling holes in the schedule, it is hard because we are very short handed and offer 24 hours of care.
The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference in my individuals lives, I help them with the ambition to meet their goals, I enjoy giving verbal praise when they are doing well. Every day can be an unexpected day of work, I may have to help work on the floor , provide rides as needed. I over all enjoy my job.
Pros
helping other's, being a leader, organizing, filing, payroll. being a positive impact in others lives.
Cons
lack of consistency through out our company, 24 hours on call, handling crisis and feeling helpless when unable to provide what they need when in crisis.
Community Living Options, Inc.
Manager, Residential Services Director (Former Employee) –  321 Chestnut St. Paris, IL 61944February 19, 2015
Every day was different depending on the organizations needs for the day. I learned to be a manager. I worked with the most dedicated individuals. The hardest part of my job was juggling my personal finances to continue to work for an organization I believed was the best. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning new things on a daily basis and working with people.
Pros
ability to move up the management ladder
Cons
expense required to stay with the organization
ok
Assistant Head Cook (Former Employee) –  Beardstown, ILFebruary 11, 2015
I enjoyed working there and working with the individuals the company is responsible for on a daily basis. However, I worked with some individuals that were incompatible with me and made it difficult to remain in their employment.
Pros
learning to accept individuals disabilities easier.
Cons
getting attached to the residence and then leaving them
loved the idea of the job hate the company
dsp (Former Employee) –  Quincy IllinoisFebruary 9, 2015
I began work for community living options in 2012. I worked there several years and never recieved a raise management would not work with you when you needed time off or was sick. I had to work throwing my guts up. They also didnt submit my 401k payments until a month after I quit and I was supposed to have the 401k for two years and they only submitted a payment of $165 in that two years. They were supposed to take 5% of my check each time. This company is horrible I wouldnt work for them again for anything!
Very Rewarding Job
Direct Support Person (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, ILDecember 11, 2014
Working with developmentally disabled adults brings great joy to my life. The work is never the same from day to day. We assist the residents with daily living activities. We assist them in learning the skills needed to one day potentially live on their own. The management staff with the company is very supportive. My co-workers are great and we help each other in any way possible. The hardest part of my job is having to see the residents upset over something. I enjoy my job because it is constantly challenging me.
Had lots of fun going places with the individuals out in the community
direct service person (Former Employee) –  Wood River, IL.November 2, 2014
A typical day at work would be for everyone to wake up and give the individuals their medication. After that, we would all sit down at the breakfast table and eat. We would talk about current events, what they were doing at the workshop. Then after breakfast everyone would go to work. Then around 3:00pm, they would come home and have something to drink and unwind. After that, they would get ready to go on some sort of outing, whether it be going to the movies or going to the store to buy their snacks and soda. Then we would come back home and they would watch some television for a while or draw then they got ready for bed to start a new day. At that jpb I learned that no one is stupid. Everyone has something special to contribute to the world. I loved every single on of my co-workers, most of them turned into very good friends. There really wasn't a "hard" part of the job because I enjoy working with people very much. This company is located in Wood River, IL.
Pros
christmas bonuses, and dinners
Cons
no dental insurance and you didn't get very much vacation time
Productive, teamwork, the management staff was excellent
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 25, 2014
Great, loved the teamwork, the client was the most enjoyable part of job.
Enjoyable work place!
Assist individuals (Current Employee) –  Galesburg, ILJune 26, 2014
I have enjoyed my time working for this company the management is awesome and the residents are amazing! I love being able to help others! I just wish this job had more advancement opportunities. A typical day at work starts at 6am, with me coming into work greeting and waking up the residents. I start cooking breakfast then we all sit together in the dining area to eat. I assist the ones who need help eating. The residents know how to bring their dishes into the kitchen for me to wash them. I get them ready for work assisting with hygiene care. In the evenings I assist them with their medication while letting them know the reasons for their particular medication. Then the residents set the dining room table and I t cook supper. After supper and showers we go out into the community to have some fun! They love to go bowling, fishing, movies, and out to eat! We always have a great time. There is nothing really hard about my job and if we have a difficult situations, us staff along with our manager will come up with a solution to deescalate whatever the situation may be.
Pros
awesome food, paid time off, free vacation with the residents
Cons
short staff
Decent Place to work
DSP/Cook (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, ILMay 4, 2014
I worked for this company first as a DSP then as the head cook for the 16 bed group home. As a DSP its pretty decent and laid back in the home that I was in. You get to go on outings with the residents, and trips, all free to you while still getting paid so that's pretty cool. As the cook I basically prepared all the meals and did the inventory and ordering of all the food so it was okay. They do have a strict policy on being on time for work even if its one minute late, other than that its a decent company to work for compared to most places Ive worked.
ok work place
Direct support professional Supervisor (Current Employee) –  North Branch, MNMarch 11, 2014
i love the clients, but with changing of house management makes it a little stress full.
Pros
good pay
Cons
staff quite alot
Work around your life
Program support staff (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 19, 2014
Good company to work for, decent pay, management can sometimes demand things and never did the job before.... Good job for a student.
I loved this job. so far the best I have had.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Galesburg, IllinoisJanuary 15, 2014
there was always something to do to stay busy so the day goes fast and is fun. A typical day consisted of cleaning, doing laundry, giving showers, taking residents on outings, driving the handicap equipped van, running programs, giving out doctor ordered medications, entering daily activities into a computer program linked through out the company, some times cook, changed depends, transferred residents when needed, take blood pressure and temps. when needed. making sure that everything the resident need was taken care of, and attended monthly meetings. I learned how to do medicine passes, CPR, first aid and how to address some medical and mental illnesses.my house manager was wonderful. My co-workers where great people to work with. I really cant think of a hard part to this job. The most enjoyable part of the job was working and spending time with the residents.
Pros
you get one meal provided daily that you work. you also get vacation time and benefits.
Cons
i don't think think they are paid enough for all the work that is done.
every day is different.
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Ham Lake, MNOctober 4, 2013
There really isn't a typical day at work, you have different clients at any given day. They all have different day programs, however after they return home from their day program you greet them and asked about their day. They then start there chores and therapies and have snack and maybe meds. You learn about different situations, behaviors and what might be planned for the day/evening. The management is great, keeps the house and every thing else up and running smooth and also keeps staff well informed on any changes. My co-workers are good people, most work as a team and in the home this is needed. There really ins't a hard part in this job but the most enjoyable part of this job is the CLIENTS, watching them grow and learn. (Very Rewarding).
Pros
working with very special people.
Cons
some people not working as a team, however it all works out good.
Great place to work if you can handle crabby clients
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Pine City, MNMarch 12, 2013
I worked with high functioning clients. It was going fine until they started to have behaviors and lash out at anyone. You always had to renew your cpr/first aid training course witch is now every 2 years. Along with cpi/tmi traing witch was embarrassing everytime. The co-workers were oaky to work with as long as they didint come in drunk or high from the night before. And then there was some that took their job way too seriously. The hardest part is learning to deal with clients with high behaviors and the most enjoyable is when you got to go out to eat with them on the company's dime.
Pros
free food
Cons
short break, not easy work.
Provide support to person with mental illness or developmental disabilities
Program Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMarch 8, 2013
CLO is a wonderful place to work for and I have only one complaint there is not much upward movement into management.