Community Mental Health Affiliates Employee Reviews in United States

Toxic Work Environment
Clinician (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTJune 23, 2016
Expectations and lack of support do not match. Client's do not get deserved care due to expectations of case load. Supervisors concern for agency income and stress among employees creates a hostile work environment. High turnover rate
Cons
Not enough support, unrealistic expectations, toxic work environment, high turnover rate
Look elsewhere
Recovery Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 3, 2016
Clients are great, poor management, poor job security, most staff are constantly looking for new positions, dont be held down by this company
Pros
Pto is great
Cons
Offers a variety of services
Receptionist- Full time (Former Employee) –  Hamden, CTApril 6, 2016
Growing company with different positions. Management was okay from what I know. Worked only with clinicians, no staff. Hardest part of the job was having to leave due to the location closing.
Productive enviroment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTSeptember 22, 2015
We work as a team. Absolute great place to work.
Interactions with clients, Employees is awesome.
Positive environment
Pros
Fulfulling clients needs and expectations
Cons
Upset clients
Exciting entry level job
Vocational Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJuly 22, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics for a nonprofit.
health care professional
Mental Health caregiver (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 26, 2015
Prefer not to say more about typical day at work. Prefer not to say more what I have learned. Prefer not to say more about management. Prefer not to say more about coworkers. Prefer not to say more about hardest part of the job. Prefer not to say more about enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Great PTO
Cons
Prefer not to say
N/a
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 30, 2014
would not like to talk about was not happy there was looking for other work
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Good people, skilled clinical team, little job security
Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 25, 2014
Worked at an outpatient clinic working serving DMHAS clients. Good group of people, and good support from supervisors within the clinic. Served individuals with chronic mental illness and substance use disorders. Fast-paced and challenging but a lot of fun. Unfortunately funding and job security have become problematic.
Pros
skilled, competant colleagues, fair benefits package
Cons
little job security
worked there for five years
Director-Substance Abuse Action Council (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 15, 2014
Over the years at CMHA, I witnessed many changes. I enjoyed working with the clients.
Growing and innovating
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New Britain, CTDecember 10, 2013
Provided me with great opportunities for advancement. The management and my co-workers are professional and supportive.
Very enjoyable place to work
Case Manager/Residential Counselor I=ACTT (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTMay 29, 2013
I worked for this company back in 1999 in the I-ACTT Department. I Loved working with the Residents ( there were 14 or 16 living in on site apartments and 4 persons living in Respite apartments). I enjoyed going to work daily and also respected the Agencies Mission and Culture. They really seem to do what is best for the people they serve.
I unfortunately had to leave due to a conflict in scheduling which I was informed would change every few months but it did not (i.e Full time consisted of working 1st, 2nd and 3rd shifts combined at times you had to work doubles and have less then 8 hours until you had to go back). If it were not for that reason and the Managers willingness to work out a schedule so I was not a walking zombie I would still be working there.
That was the only negative experience I had at this agency. I would recommend this agency to anyone to either become employed there or seek services from there.
Pros
wonderful people, very rewarding
Cons
management unwilling to arrange schedule for medical needs
My long-time counseling position was spiritually rewarding, I enjoy the field, and I hope to return to it.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Britain, CTJune 8, 2012
I would work with twelve clients with axis I disorders, primarily schizophrenia, bipolar, schizoaffective, and MDD. I case managed two of the twelve and worked on fortifying their independent functioning so that they could transition into the community, without need of a 24-hour residential program. Additionally I managed up to 4 respite clients who would come in for short-term stays to prevent escalation of psychological symptoms that would put them at risk for hospitalization, or, sometimes, assist those transitioning back from a hospital stay. I learned more efficient ways to educate and guide clients to make responsible, self-sufficient choices, and very much the concept that I could always lead a horse to water, but could never make him drink, as the adage goes. Education and patience were the two best tools for getting there. I enjoyed a supportive group of coworkers that very much tried to stay on the same page to streamline client care. My program managers over time were valued guidance, especially when I would have a challenging client or situation that required some feedback. The hardest part was often trying to guide a client toward the most responsible and independent path without ever pushing against them. Clients who are on board with treatment and agree with the methods are the most successful, and I consider it my job to work with the client to steer them toward more independent behaviors with the most beneficial and least harmful coping mechanisms. The most enjoyable part was the satisfaction of having a client that came in at one level of functioning that would  more... be at risk in the community, and seeing that client leave at a higher level of functioning so that they could manage themselves independently.  less
Pros
getting a 'charge' from helping clients to reach independence, learning from clients as much as i taught them, honing my people skills
Cons
subject to layoffs based upon the company's stability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community Mental Health Affiliates. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8