Community Services

Community Services Employee Reviews

Summary is accurate
Development Skills Professuional (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMay 6, 2015
Pros: Free meals. Flexable hours.
Cons: Need to take time to learn individuals and patience.
Enjoyed working with individuals and co-workers. Taught me patience. Various work sites available make convienent. The hardest part of the job was remembering that the individuals always need help with typical everyday life skills especially in the community.
Direct Support Professional
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 20, 2015
Cons: no overtime
Assisted individuals with daily living, passed medications, prepared food, helped with laundry. Took individuals on outings medical appointments, grocery shopping, clothing shopping.
love it
Life Skills Trainer (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 10, 2015
Loved this job also. the people are awesome and the managers were a peach to work with also. I enjoyed helping the disabled and I gained a lot of friendships and experince
Lazy Place to Work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Tonawanda, NYMarch 2, 2015
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: no breaks, healthcare
Start shift with an update of the previous shifts activities. Once all of the residents are checked on then clean for the rest of the shift. Once all the cleaning is done sit and wait for shift to be over. If residents need anything through out shift you assist.
This position has not helped me further my career.
Management doesn't work well together, They are only concerned with making their job as easy as possible. Nothing is changed for proactive action always reactive and then changes are slow.
Co-workers are often just passing through and only there to collect a paycheck.
The hardest part of the job is caring too much and no enough support to make life for the residents better not just bare minimum.
The most enjoyable part would be that the job doesn't go home with you.
food pantry worker
Voulenter worker. (Current Employee), Richville, NYFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: working with others.
Cons: traveling in bad weather.
Organized food in the pantry. helped set up for the hand out. Distributed food. helped carry out.
Giving of myself was a valuable experience.
home setting for clients
direct support staff (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: residential enviroment
Cons: shift coverage when shortage
Nice place to work, home environment for clients provides good setting for growth of clients. Many programs and activities that encouraged clients to participate
Community service
Community service. (Current Employee), Chaska, MNFebruary 8, 2015
Pros: helping veterans
Cons: n/a
For Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Veterans day we would deliver meals on wheals to veterans who are disabled either stuck at home or in a aided living facility.
A nice place to work for.
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYFebruary 1, 2015
I assist people with disabilities out in the community such as taking them grocery shopping and medical appointments. I help them with their living environment by showing them how to clean and maintain their home. I do some counseling if the person is upset about an issue, I will walk them through it.
Great place to work.
Lead Teacher (Current Employee), Allentown, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: benefits
I have been employed at CSC for 14 years and have loved ever day working there. The employes and managers are great, I have learned a lot from being part of a great bunch of people. I got to be part of a great learning and collaboration with the IU20 and enjoy working with special needs children.
Productive and Energetic enviornment
Chief Operations Officer/Director (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: being able to assist
Cons: not being able to assist
A typical day for me began at 7am in the morning and lasting until 6pm in the evening. Learned that community service organization are needed to assist those individuals who for whatever reason have fallen on hard time and need a little assistance, the hardest part is not being able to assist those individuals who really need help but were over the poverty guidelines for assistance, the most enjoyable was helping the elderly who are living on a fix income with services and they were always appreciative.
Los Alamos County is a great place to work. Benefits are great.
Office Specialist (Former Employee), Los Alamos, New MexicoDecember 15, 2014
Pros: great people to work with.
I was an Event Coordinator for Los Alamos County. I managed the facilities the County rents to the general public. I wrote policies and procedures (fees, deposits, general guidelines) for County rentals that were eventually approved by the Los Alamos County Council. I enjoyed working with both internal and external customers. My coworkers, especially the custodial staff who setup for events, were great. They helped me with anything I needed. I enjoyed all of the people I met and worked with. I had a great boss, who was very helpful with all sorts of issues that may come up during an event, such as heat and electricity outages.
Big Turnover
Child Development Partner (Former Employee), Allentown, PAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: everything else
You can get a caseload up to 11 families. You are expected to complete 2 hour visits for each family. The schedule is flexible but more for the family than for yourself. If you get behind a visit you have to try to complete it ASAP or the home visits accumulate. If you ever think of taking vacation you have to either make up the visits before or after you get back from vacation, because if not you'll be behind. It is all government funded, so they are always going to try to make it look good for the government when in reality it is all a lie, lots of things a tweaked.
The home visits are pointless, you have to complete assessments in order to know where the child is developmentally and then set goals for them. Why are they pointless, because they literally take 5 minutes to complete. Most of the goals are things that they will eventually will do on their own with the exception of children with a developmental delay. They are not reaching these goals simply because you are there once a week. The visit is mostly with the parent, because you have to teach the parent parenting skills so they can teach their children, but most think you are there to babysit or to do something so important that you are really not doing. You are for the most part facilitating their lives.
Some families are good while others try to take advantage and want you to give them a ride everywhere. Families think you are either a babysitter, a teacher or a therapist. For the most part you can have good families, but you also have families that cancel appointments for legitamate reasons while others are uninterested – more... and constantly miss appointments. If you complain to your manager about issues with the families acting uninterested or missing appointments, they turn to you and tell you that you have to get through their door and complete the visit not matter what. It doesn't matter if they are sick or you are sick.
As a CDP, you have to make every attempt to complete and basically chase the families to complete it cause if not you'll have the managers after you. If a family drops from the program it affects your accountability and makes you look bad all year.
Co-workers all want to leave but stay because in social work there is no other place that pays like CSC. The benefits are pretty good, but it doesn't compensate all the constant stress of families cancelling appointments, constantly rearranging your schedule, assessments deadlines, files being reviewed, making up visits, dealing with bedbugs, lice, fleas roaches in people's homes. Don't think you can dress professionally because you'll ruin your clothes. Stay away from this position. Maybe working in another department that does not include home visiting. People in other departments seem happier, maybe because they are in the office all day. CDP's and FEP's are at the bottom, the ones that do all the work no one else want's to do. High turnover, not many people put up with this job. Every time they keep adding work with no extra pay. I don't know why is this program funded by the government, I don't get the purpose at least not the early head start home based program. I can keep going with all the bad things, but ultimately is your call. I am just taking the time to write this to warn people, because if you do choose to get in you won't be happy. – less
Rewarding
Professional Caregiver (Current Employee), East Meadow, NYJuly 13, 2014
Pros: internal satisfaction, self-management, growth on my own terms
Cons: lacked structure and direction from client's family
This was one of the most challenging but rewarding experiences as it taught me patience and an extreme amount of resilience.
fun work place
Head Counts (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 6, 2014
Giving back to community's I believe in giving back to the community in which I live. All of us here in America and Centennial, in particular, have numerous privileges that many people in the world can only dream of. We have access to excellent education. We are protected by policemen, firefighters, and other public servants who work for the safety and betterment of our community. There are so many luxuries we simply take for granted; the idea of not having running water or reliable electricity is a completely foreign concept to us. Few of us have ever had to walk farther than the kitchen sink when we are thirsty, let alone worry about whether the water we are drinking could kill us. Many people in the world do not have these same luxuries. For this reason, I believe that each of us has the responsibility of giving back to the community.
I really enjoy giving back to the community.
Member of the Geneva Heroes (Former Employee), Geneva, NYJuly 1, 2014
• Member of the Geneva Heroes program that organizes community service events with students from the Geneva School District. This involves weekly community service activities each spring semester. (Spring 2010 to Spring 2012)
• Participated in Alternative Spring break in North Carolina. I spent a week with students in an elementary school to help them with school work and after school activities. (Spring 2011)
Great
Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee), Elmhurst, NYJune 27, 2014
Volunteered here for some time. Great place, they treat volunteers well. The other volunteers are truly caring about what they do for patients.
comfortable
Life skills trainer (Current Employee), Tonawanda, NYJune 6, 2014
Pros: the job
impacting lives day by day
friendly environment
homely
flexible
good experince
SoBro Volunteer (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: n/a
i gained alot of experience that will better me in the future.
Community Service/Giving back to the community
Co Captain (Former Employee), Prince George's CountyMay 7, 2014
I enjoy giving back to our community every year. It has such overwhelming gratification.
Community Service/Giving back to the community