Community Support Services

Community Support Services Employee Reviews

It was great....for a while
Consumer Advocate (Former Employee), Joplin, MOMay 1, 2015
Pros: The clients are amazing and develop a true friendship, Paid training
Cons: Pay, nasty attitude from upper management, lack of honesty
When I first started it was a great place. Everybody seemed happy and helpful. The first ISL I worked at had a great coordinator. She was/is AMAZING! She listened to what you had to say and was very sincere. I was accused of a med error by another employee (which seems to happen especially of they don't like you) but then the accuser "found" the missing med. I loved the clients there and it was a little heart breaking when I had to transfer to another house due to a change in my life schedule. The company did well in helping me find the hours I needed.

On to the second ISL...
The first couple months were ok. It was a very laid back ISL. The client was a joy to be around.
After a while it would get to the point to where nobody would even call you to tell you they couldn't find anybody for the next shift. Nobody even knew where the coordinator was. She'd take vacation without any notice to her staff or primary.
Bed bugs!! If a client has bed bugs and you're an overnighter, good luck with that. I tried everything I could to keep my bags off the floor and change my clothes before coming home. It didn't matter, they would drop off the ceiling!
I ended up bringing bed bugs home to my family and spending my life savings trying to get rid of them. The company refused to help with anything....
Very loving and caring environment for patients
Residential Aide/Float (Former Employee), Joplin, MOFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: the clients, the loving enviroment
Cons: the pay for all the things that the job entitles but the clients make up for that.
Typical work day was great because I enjoyed working with the clients very much. I learned alot of patients and love, how to pass meds to clients and many other things. The hardest part of my job was seeing the clients when they were sick or in pain. And having to leave my job in the end.
I enjoy working for this company
Residential Counselor (Former Employee), Gaithersburg, MDFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: helping others live productive lives
Cons: not enough hours/ part time work
On a daily basis I assist individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities. I work of activities catered to each individual needs and assist them with their goals.
fun place, but reduce hours
Residential Counselor (Current Employee), Gaithersburg, MDNovember 19, 2014
Pros: working with lovable clients
Cons: reduce working hours
good environment to work, for part time, you work in a residential home with clients.
Busy pace, accounting and audit experience
Fiscal management (Current Employee), Windsor Mill, MDOctober 25, 2014
Cons: benefits, salary
Small non-profit, grant funded
learned about Quickbooks, audit procedures, payables and receivables, working with vendors / submitting 1099s, submitting / tracking grant billing to the State
Work with deaf and hearing co-workers
The most enjoyable part of my job is actually performing the tasks efficiently
You don't want to work here!!!
Health Information Technician Assistant (Former Employee), Akron, OHOctober 18, 2014
Cons: everything
Pay might be decent but the staff is horrible. I've seen laws broken. Always short-handed. Unfair management. The company is sinking and falling apart. The rules don't apply to everyone. One of the worst jobs that I've had.
Overall enjoyable and rewarding
IN-HOME HEALTH AIDE (Former Employee), Joplin, MOOctober 16, 2014
A typical workday consisted of cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene and running errands for my elderly clients. What I learned from this job was that I was a major social contact and advocate for these people. Visiting and caring for them daily was enjoyable and rewarding. I was not just their aide, I was their friend. The hardest part of the job was their passing, although inevitable, very difficult.
Productive Workplace

· Shopping

· Transfers using Hoyer Lift

· Take vital sign

· Positioning and Ambulating

· Providing care and support for individuals disabilities

· Implement behavior care plan and coach clients on using skills

· Problem solving and behavioral redirection

· Provide safety assessments and take action to insure clients safety
The community really thrives when everyone is included.
Residential Care Advocate (Former Employee), Springdale, AROctober 8, 2014
Community inclusion is great for the community. Our society is so scared of anything that isn't typical and by introducing the community to people with disabilities it opens up a whole world of exciting possibilities.
very nice place to work for
Receptionist (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 30, 2014
I loved working there .the people was nice.I did taking calls,directing calls in the right direction.fax machines,copyier,paper packets .data entry.
Demanding
Case Manager (Former Employee), Akron, OHJune 24, 2014
When working with the mental ill population is take a special individual to do this typed of work my hat goes off to all of those you can.
Constantly interesting
Office Manager (Current Employee), Gaithersburg, MDJune 4, 2014
Pros: constant activities; proms, trips, social activities, events
Cons: no paid holidays, no time in a half and little growth.
A typical day at work would consist of constantly staying on top of all the various activities that go on in our environment, such as events, activities in the camp or school, and monitoring building issues.

Daily I learn about the Special Population we serve and various ways to serve them better.

The hardest part of the job is poor communication between staff and management and the most rewarding part of the job are the consumers.
Job working with Developmentally Disabled Adults
Direct Support Provider (Former Employee), Salem, OregonMay 26, 2014
Pros: good insurance and other benefits, fair pay
Cons: all the rules
I worked with developmentally disabled adults. I learned a great deal about their lives and how they were once treated by society. The management was generally supportive especially the direct supervisor. My coworkers were great and very helpful. We all worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was all the rules and trying to make sure that you did nott break any of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people. They were some of the most fun, loving and trusting people.
Pay is not worth the time and effort
Instructional Associate (Current Employee), Gaithersburg, MDMay 17, 2014
If you are unable to come to work you have to arrange for a sub. If you cannot find a sub you HAVE to come to work or you will receive a write up. The people in management treat staff very unfair. The only enjoyable part of my day is interacting with my clients.
expeience
Assistant Director (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 28, 2014
• Supervised three community-based service delivery programs for people with multiple disabilities.
• Monitored programs for compliance with state laws and codes.
• Created reports to maintain state funding, deliver effective and safe care to clients, and maintain staff credentials.
• Established policies and programs to teach self-advocacy, daily living skills, provide meal services, mental health and medical treatment at five service locations.
• Recruited, hired, trained and supervised staff, coordinated with other service provider agencies for transition services with treatment teams, planned client transitions from in-patient institutions to community based residential and day program services.
• Acted as advocate for clients within multi-disciplinary team meetings advancing their wishes, interests and needs.
Assisited individuals with developmental disabilities
Advocate (Former Employee), Joplin, MOMarch 25, 2014
Pros: making the clents happy
Cons: periods of feeling rushed and the anxiety of not having enough time to get our work done
The clients we worked with were great. Some times the staff were not trained properly and this could adversely affect the level of care. Most staff were kind, competent, and empathetic, however the job was often stressful because sometimes there were not enough staff to give the clients the attention and care that they deserved. I learned a great deal of patience and time management skills. I rarely had contact with management because I worked the overnight shift. We did keep in touch by phone during the day.
community support services
Lead Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOMarch 22, 2014
great place to work, I enjoyed my job, it made me feel great at the end of the day ,knowing that i had helped in a every small way to get these people thru there day.
The job was rewarding because of the individuals I served
Primary Advocate (care giver) (Current Employee), Joplin, MOMarch 20, 2014
Pros: clients, usually overtime if you choose
Cons: very expensive benefits, unjust ways of dealing with employees.
I got clients up and ready for their day and communicated with staff about shift before. Took care of the task(s) that were needing to be taken care of. Paper work, community time, meetings. Most of the staff I worked with were great people and always did as I asked. Management honestly became really unethical, questionable, and immoral. The most enjoyable part of the job was the individuals I served. The hardest part of my job was the unethical way misconduct was handled. I was the Primary Advocate for the ISL and an employee was sexually harassing myself and another one of my staff. He was put back into my ISL and he continued with the harassment with me and I reported him again and I got moved to a different ISL that I had no training on, and was told it was because, "my shifts were easier to fill than his." While working with this individual I knew nothing about I was told to take her to the ER and their company wheel chair van lift was broke so I had to hold on to her chair and manually pump her up into the van and I ended up hurt. While on workman's comp (December-January) I was written up twice and then demoted and suspended and my workman's comp pay quit the day I was suspended. I've called and called to find out when I can come back and it is now March and can still not get anyone to talk to me. So, I decided I don't want to be devoted to a company like this, I want to move on to a more healthier work environment! (He still works there)
Productive, rewarding, and fulfilling job.
Advocate (Current Employee), Joplin, MOMarch 12, 2014
Pros: it can be relaxing, you have time to watch tv when the clients want to watch, generally free unless client needs help, or are cooking.
Cons: some clients were argumentative at times, when clients felt they could do more than really able during night causing injuries, and no actual breaks away from clients.
I assisted mentally ill in being able to live as close to a normal life as possible. With assisting them in shopping, cooking, reminding them to clean, do laundry, and hygiene habits. Such as brushing teeth, showering, and brushing hair.
Enjoy working with the clients
Supported Employment Specialist (Current Employee), Akron, OHFebruary 5, 2014
Working with clients to obtain employment and helping them to become confident in becoming employed.