Community of Hope Employee Reviews

Director in Housing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 5, 2017
Community of Hope cares about its employees and clients. They are constantly working to make sure services are actually helping the clients and that employees have good work-life balance. They look internally first for promotions and do regular supervisor trainings for all supervisors. There are two all-staff meetings/retreats each year to help employees get to know each other and for staff recognition. Upper management does a good job at hearing concerns from all staff.
Pros
Ability to learn and move up, great atmosphere, decent pay
Cons
Too many locations
It is volunteer work!
Kitchen Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAOctober 17, 2017
My church is a wonderful place to volunteer and serve the Lord.I volunteer every year to fed the homeless and make sure every guest is comfortable and fed every night.
Poor experience
Behavioral Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hope, WASeptember 29, 2017
If you are looking for a culturally competent work place, Community of Hope is not the place that. Management lack prior medical experience and are totally disconnected from the populations they serve.
Medical Assisting
Medical Assistant (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 21, 2017
I was the receptionist for the doctor office floor. I would come in at 8 AM, check and see which patients were coming in for the day then I would sit and verify people's insurance. Mind you guys, this was my internship so I did have days where I independently worked however most of the days I was just assisting.
Excellent Place to Start Career
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2017
Wonderful staff, great work/life balance, positive energy! Staff work well together and make you feel welcomed. Opportunities to grow and learn a plethora of information.
Pros
atmosphere and work/life balance
Cons
travel and monotony
The worst place ever to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  4 Atlantic St, S.W.March 11, 2017
Management has no clue on how to manage any department within Community of Hope. They have managers managing departments with no experience,they claim you can move up within but not true. They ask you for your opinion or thoughts and us it against you to get ride of you,and will try every time when there's meetings for your thoughts,not good then have weekly check ins and put you on a performance evaluation then at the end of the evaluation they let you go. So if you're looking to work there I would not,you will not be happy very stressful work place. You are only liked if you just keep quite and not give an opinion then they will like you or if you speak in a proper tone of voice they will love you and move you up within the company.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Not to have an opinion if you want your job
Enthusiastic and Dedicated Workplace
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 7, 2016
Working for a nonprofit means you're likely not to make as much money as other places, but COH was always a great place to work. Nearly everyone is friendly and good at their job, and likewise almost everyone is very dedicated to the causes the organization promotes.
Pros
Decent benefits package, extensive PTO/sick leave
Cons
Limited operating budgets
Excellent place to work
Workforce Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 26, 2016
This company is an excellent place to work if you enjoy doing nonprofit work. Excellent benefits and bonuses when I was there. I am not quite sure that it is the same now.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Dental Clinic
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 29, 2016
Community of Hope has a good mission statement that is great and they do great things for the community but they don't take care of the employees. Management take care of management, they don't look out for the employees. Management needs to step down for their pedestal and look at they people that help to run Community of Hope because without the employees you can't run a company,that's why the turn over rate is so high. I personally would not recommend this company.
Pros
hours, pretty building
Cons
to many
Family Atmosphere
Community Resource Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
Working at Community of Hope is great. There is a sense of family and a welcoming atmosphere. Staff are friendly and managers care about the well being of employers.
Nice work place but changing
Housing (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2016
If you are interested in moving up or moving sideways to another department, if upper management doesn't think that will be a good fit, they seem to block you from that opportunity. Or if they already have someone else in mind they'll allow that person to not have to meet the same requirements as you and will allow them to "learn on the job". There are a lot of politics at play. The mission of the organization seems very unrelated to our families and more related to numbers.
Workforce Development Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washibngton, DCDecember 1, 2015
Muti-task, Customer Service, Health Care Professionalism. Great place to work, very supportive and patients are always first.
not a very good company
Washington, DC - RESIDENT MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Hope, WANovember 2, 2015
bad environment

bad communication

minimal hours

rude and unorganized staffing

unsanitary work environment

v very hostile environment
Pros
very quite during the day
Cons
to many
Outreach and Enrollment Assister (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2015
COH is a great organization to work for and is doing awesome work in the community. It provides healthcare, housing and supportive services to undeserved residence in the D.C metropolitan area.
Community focused non-profit organization
Workforce Development Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
Community of Hope has allowed me the opportunity to grow into a new career field. My position as Project Assistant to Workforce Development requires a high level of multi tasking abilities. We conduct a Customer Service Soft Skills training that has numerous components, from onboard testing to class situational roll plays and mock interviews. I am responsible for assisting the program manager as necessary. My daily task includes contacting current, past and prospective student to schedule meetings and offer assistant with job placement. Creating and maintaining reports and spreadsheets for data compilation.
NOT a very nice place to work. COH does not value its employees. More interested in getting grant money than its workers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
High turnover rate. Employees are tense and work with caution of being fired. Sr. Management care very little about its employees. They are typical non profit. Get all the grant money they can and show no effort in the overall well being of community and earn BIG salaries for top excutives. ALL FOR SHOW. PLASTIC. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
Pros
The new building on Atlantic is beautiful
Cons
Upper Management has no diversity. No blacks or Hispanic
Some good days, some bad days
MEDICAL RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  4 Atlantic Street SWOctober 9, 2014
Mediocre management, disorganized, tense mood in atmosphere, decent pay
large break room with awsome coffe machine
Recptionist (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDSeptember 2, 2014
come in sign into a company computer. greet co-workers and clients as they begin to come in. the office started to fill up around 10:30 which at that time I would notify to office manager so she can begin to speed things up so no one is waiting for an extended length of time. My co-worker were all very friendly. my supervisor was very friendly. we all worked like a well oiled machine. the most important thing I learn at this job was to always maintain professionalism. the hardest part of the job was having to deal so closely with the clients but that was always a great learning experience.
Pros
professional inviorment
Cons
no food allowed on site floor
Unpleasant work environment
Medical Staff (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 21, 2014
In the beginning the job was great, and the supervisor understood and took heed from employees. Now Community Of Hope is more interested in funding money to pay for projects that's not bring revenue in. Providers are violating HIPPA supervisors are abusing their authorities. Higher staff ignoring employees views suggestions and concerns. Racist staff, and no advancement. Unpleasant work environment
Pros
Great Old staff, outstanding patients and fsa
Cons
No parking, immature supervisors, poor management, no advancement, lack of communitication and no team work
Very diverse and exciting job
Family Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2014
You will work with individuals who have just fell off the horse and some trying to get over on the system. Patience is key.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Sometimes hostile clients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Community of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.

Community of Hope Reviews by Location