Community of Hope Employee Reviews in United States

Family Atmosphere
Community Resource Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2016
Working at Community of Hope is great. There is a sense of family and a welcoming atmosphere. Staff are friendly and managers care about the well being of employers.
Workforce Development Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washibngton, DCDecember 1, 2015
Muti-task, Customer Service, Health Care Professionalism. Great place to work, very supportive and patients are always first.
not a very good company
Washington, DC - RESIDENT MONITOR (Current Employee) –  Hope, WANovember 2, 2015
bad environment

bad communication

minimal hours

rude and unorganized staffing

unsanitary work environment

v very hostile environment
Pros
very quite during the day
Cons
to many
Outreach and Enrollment Assister (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2015
COH is a great organization to work for and is doing awesome work in the community. It provides healthcare, housing and supportive services to undeserved residence in the D.C metropolitan area.
Community focused non-profit organization
Workforce Development Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
Community of Hope has allowed me the opportunity to grow into a new career field. My position as Project Assistant to Workforce Development requires a high level of multi tasking abilities. We conduct a Customer Service Soft Skills training that has numerous components, from onboard testing to class situational roll plays and mock interviews. I am responsible for assisting the program manager as necessary. My daily task includes contacting current, past and prospective student to schedule meetings and offer assistant with job placement. Creating and maintaining reports and spreadsheets for data compilation.
NOT a very nice place to work. COH does not value its employees. More interested in getting grant money than its workers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
High turnover rate. Employees are tense and work with caution of being fired. Sr. Management care very little about its employees. They are typical non profit. Get all the grant money they can and show no effort in the overall well being of community and earn BIG salaries for top excutives. ALL FOR SHOW. PLASTIC. They talk the talk but don't walk the walk.
Pros
The new building on Atlantic is beautiful
Cons
Upper Management has no diversity. No blacks or Hispanic
Some good days, some bad days
MEDICAL RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  4 Atlantic Street SWOctober 9, 2014
Mediocre management, disorganized, tense mood in atmosphere, decent pay
large break room with awsome coffe machine
Recptionist (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MDSeptember 2, 2014
come in sign into a company computer. greet co-workers and clients as they begin to come in. the office started to fill up around 10:30 which at that time I would notify to office manager so she can begin to speed things up so no one is waiting for an extended length of time. My co-worker were all very friendly. my supervisor was very friendly. we all worked like a well oiled machine. the most important thing I learn at this job was to always maintain professionalism. the hardest part of the job was having to deal so closely with the clients but that was always a great learning experience.
Pros
professional inviorment
Cons
no food allowed on site floor
Unpleasant work environment
Medical Staff (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 21, 2014
In the beginning the job was great, and the supervisor understood and took heed from employees. Now Community Of Hope is more interested in funding money to pay for projects that's not bring revenue in. Providers are violating HIPPA supervisors are abusing their authorities. Higher staff ignoring employees views suggestions and concerns. Racist staff, and no advancement. Unpleasant work environment
Pros
great old staff, outstanding patients and fsa
Cons
no parking, immature supervisors, poor management, no advancement, lack of communitication and no team work
Very diverse and exciting job
Family Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 19, 2014
You will work with individuals who have just fell off the horse and some trying to get over on the system. Patience is key.
Pros
great staff
Cons
sometimes hostile clients.
health field
Registered Medical Assistant /EKG Tech (Former Employee) –  Hope, WANovember 14, 2013
patient flow and learning how to deal with people with all sort of issues.as being a person that speak other languages it was very fun.
High impact, clear goals, and a proven growth record
Development Department (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 9, 2013
It's great to come to work each day and know what the goals you and your colleagues are working to achieve. Equally exciting is being a part of an organization with a huge vision that keeps growing to serve more families in need. Careful strategic planning, creative management, diverse staff who care deeply about the end result for the people served are some of my highlights. The tireless work to that goal is a challenge but managers are sensitive and work to be flexible.

I'm never bored or understimulated with all this growth. This organization implements best practices everywhere it can and appears to be ahead of the curve for many nonprofits. Even recieved an award for best practices (The Washington Post Award for Excellence in Nonprofit Management) last year.

One challenge is that the org serves families in 2 distinct ways - healthcare for all and services for homeless families. The org has grown to provide in a number of sites across DC. So sometimes staff from various teams don't get to know each other. However, a new administrative office/housing office/health clinic will help with that and intentional retreats and all staff gathering make a difference.

Great place to be if you want to make an impact for people in poverty!
Pros
new fsa plan, equitable health insurance coverage, reasonable leave policy, commitment to mission, growth
Cons
getting to know other teams
Mission driven organization provides interesting and challenging opportunities
Primary Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2013
Community of Hope is dedicated to patient centered care and committed to serving a vulnerable population! Everyday when I go home, I feel the satisfaction of having made the world just a little bit better. I love being able to work with a variety of patient types - we see kids, adults, pregnant moms, everyone! My co-workers are supportive and friendly; we all are focused on the mission of helping our patients and work great together across all levels of training. Our management has been responsive to our needs and to providing tools and staff to support us; this was really important during our transition to EMR. We are also in a period of growth and will be opening a new health center soon. COH really focuses on developing its employees and giving them opportunities to move up in the organization; they also have an educational fund and can be flexible with employees going to school. They really support the whole person - which is the same approach we use with our patients!

I wish we could have more space - the offices are cramped and it can be difficult to find a quiet spot to finish charting. The facilities are adequate but not as attractive as they could be. This doesn't stop our patients from coming back though, they seem to love being part of the COH family!
Pros
great co-workers, mission driven, rewarding work
Cons
tight workspace, no parking
A Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2012
I have worked for Community of Hope for several years now, and the experience has been great. Some of the things I enjoy about Community of Hope are:

-the work the organization does inspires me
-the organization always seems to be growing quickly, which has allowed room for me and many other people I've worked with to grow and develop professionally, e.g. I started out in a very low-level position and have moved up through several levels of responsibility/management
-involvement in some really innovative work
-it's a healthy work culture, i.e. not a lot of cliques or organizational politics that you have to navigate to get your job done or be successful
-everyone is eligible for a performance-based raise every year, and the raises are really good if your performance is good
-the executive director and several other executives are really great female leaders, which is really good to experience as a woman
-the organization provides both housing and health services, and I like being able to learn about both
-there seems to be an overall commitment to doing things well
-they do fun all-staff retreats twice a year, where you can meet other people in the organization and get an idea of where things are headed overall
-it seems like overall there's a lot of transparency and pretty much an open door policy with anyone in the organization, and I've always felt comfortable sharing my ideas or concerns
-the amount of vacation is really good - 3 weeks a year when you're starting out and 4 weeks after you've worked for the organization for 3 years
-they have been a stable employer and continued
  more... to give raises all throughout the recession, which was not the case for many of the organizations my friends work at

A couple of things that are not my favorite about the organization are:

-starting salaries are sort of middle-of-the-road, not super low, but not super high either (however, since their raises are really good, I feel like they make up for that after a year or two, and you could potentially end up making significantly more than somewhere else where you might start at a little higher salary if you stick around for a little while)
-for high-level staff members, the work-life balance can be difficult (however, when I talk to friends and family members who work at for-profits, it makes me feel like my expectations may just be a little high here)
Intermediate
Washington, DC. (Former Employee) –  washington, DCSeptember 21, 2012
The work with clients is wonderful. But does not maintain much opportunity for advancement or job growth.
Fun place to work and volunteer
Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2012
As a resident moitor we must sign residents in and out and moitor activity through out the building via surveillance cameras. The most enjoyable part of the job is volunteering with the children (after my shift was over) with homework and school projects.
My first job/ internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 24, 2012
I really enjoyed working in the office at Community of Hope. All the co- workers were friendly and willing to help me learn the ins and out of the company.