Companion Animal Hospital Employee Reviews

Veterinary Clinic
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Hermann, MONovember 30, 2017
Employees have love for pets and fun to work with. As with most practices, no insurance benefits or retirement. Got good experience when working there.
Slow and Boring
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 18, 2017
The only busy days are Saturdays for the vaccine clinic. The Vet doesn't allow you to do much other than TPR and fill meds. Most of the time I was sitting at the computer waiting for the phone to ring or organizing files. The Vet makes you feel incompotent if you have questions about something or don't remeber how to do certain things.
Pros
Works with schedules
Cons
Pay, treatment from Vet
Don't work here
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 7, 2017
Working here is horrible. You will be subjected to verbal and emotional abuse. Some techs are unhelpful and they never really train you. They are very great with medicine and their clients but not employees.
Pros
lunch
Cons
attitude, work environment
Veterinary Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 20, 2017
Not worth it, management is rude and inexperienced. The medicine is not that great either for the matter. Knowlegable doctor's but the amount of drama if you do not kids up makes you a target for mental and verbal abuse. Turnover wouldn't be so high if employees were treated with respect.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Mangement, no raises, abusive language
A genuinely great place to work
Lead Receptionist/ Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 6, 2017
The doctors and staff of Companion Animal Hospital have a very high standard of care for their patients and clients. If you are a dedicated and hard worker you have the opportunity to go far with this company.
A lot of room for a lot of improvement
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAMay 15, 2017
If you are looking for a job that will give you a fair stepping stone that will make a nice entry in a resume, this might be for you. If you are looking for a career that compensates you well and makes you feel valued and makes you feel like your time is respected, this might not be the job for you.
A typical day at work consists of doctors' appointments followed by procedures that take place during lunch time.
I already a lot of experience doing blood draws on animals, but for some reason was hardly ever trusted to do bleeds, so this basically stunted my professional growth. I did, however, learn how to restrain animals very well and it's a skill that I still have and use today at my current job.
The hospital can be pretty horrific in the summer because there is no AC. The pay is pretty abysmal, but I learned that they now pay benefits, so that's some progress. The second hardest part of the job is being treated like you aren't as smart and competent as you are. I felt frustrated about being in a position in which I wanted to do more, but was being held back. The first hardest is having a shift that goes from 10-6, it flanks your day very awkwardly- and the management will often insist you take an extra long lunch when business is slow.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the workers are comrades and have your back. Also getting to see corgi puppies and french bulldog puppies.
Pros
Good employee discount on procedures
Cons
Unlikely place to grow
This was a learning experience.
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXMay 15, 2017
This job started off great, I'm thankful for all the experience and knowledge I learned here. Unfortunately all good things come to an end and that's the best I can say about this job
Terrible place to work & even worse to bring your pets
Receptionist /Veterinarian Technician /Kennel (Former Employee) –  Blythewood, SC 29016May 4, 2017
The manager is very rude and aggressive with VERY LACKING customer service. Manager rough hands animals as well as yells and curses at them, and encourages similar behavior from employees.

While treatment toward employees has greatly improved over the last 4 years, employees are still talked down to and sometimes verbally harassed and abused often in forms of psychological abasement.

While the work/environment situation was very stressful I learned a lot other wise from the Doctors; which I am very thankful for.
Pros
Great Patients and Clients, close to home, Doctors
Cons
No benefits, poor pay, rude and aggressive manager
Good Medicine, Excellent Staff
Practice Manager (Former Employee) –  Groton, CTMarch 24, 2017
fun place to work where everyone gets along. I love the doctors and they take excellent care of the patients. My day was always busy working on finances or something. They are an AAHA accredited hospital. To maintain the accreditation they have to meet over 900 quality and control standards. They perform good medicine
Pros
fun place
Cons
nothiong
Animal Craze
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAJanuary 12, 2017
You assist all customers and other employees. You maintain the retail inventory. You're required to perform kennel duties as well.
You wont get told what you did correctly, only what you did wrong.
Vet Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Phenix City, ALNovember 16, 2016
Workers are wonderful to one another and help one another. Everyone is and must be kind and gentle to the animals, which is good. Customers love how good the employees are with the pets.
The owner and manager will treat you like a common ant worker and will make you depressed. Nothing you do is good enough.
Pros
Get payed well. Get good work and animal experience.
Cons
You will not be treated like a person.
The workplace as far as the staff and supervisors went was typically a positive and rewarding environment.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 4, 2016
My typical duties when I started were more or less general custodial work (cleaning dog runs, walking dogs, and providing necessities to the animals).

The management was fair I felt, they were interested in facilitating a productive and positive work environment.

Some of my co-workers at times had a tendency toward being harsh to the management and clients alike but for the most part they were acceptable work associates.

The hardest part of the job is helping care for disabled animals without direct supervision; walking, giving medication, etc.
Pros
Positive workplace
Cons
At times is messy work
they are great
Veterinarian Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXDecember 18, 2015
it was fun working there. i learned alot from my co-workers. worked directly with doctors and specialist alike. i would recommend this place to anyone who loves animals
Excellent Veterinarians
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 27, 2015
I greatly enjoyed working at this facility. The doctors where great to work for and very compassionate. It was great developing relationships with the pets and their owners.
Unorganized and Unprofessional work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albany, GADecember 15, 2014
I do not feel this is a professional or organized work place.
fun place to work
Kennel Manager (Former Employee) –  Hudson, FLAugust 7, 2014
busy phones
co workers are great
most enjoyed clients and their pets
Pros
layed back
Cons
no benefits
Job Description
Client Services/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Benton, KYJune 18, 2014
Open Clinic
Clock in
Check messages and turn off machine.
Unlock doors .
Turn on lights .
Check hospital for new patients and find out why they are here and what their status is.

Checking in Patients
Greet clients with a smile.
Enter data in computer per new client.
Make up chart.
Show them to exam room.
Let the doctor or technician know

Checking out Patients
Go over everything in work file with client.
Sometimes put in charges, weight, and prescriptions.
Sell product.
Make sure clients are aware of product rebates.
Take payments.
Update clients record if any changes have been made.
Set appointment if a follow up is required.

Answer the Phone
Answer with a smile.
Set appointments.
Answer questions and give prices on product and services.
Take messages.
Reserve boarding.
Refill prescriptions.

Extras
Check fax machine throughout the day, print and deliver to person intended for that fax.
Fax records requested.
Update history on patients.
Call backs.
Fill prescriptions.
Clean up after a pet or exam room when needed.
Filing when possible.
Mail New Client letters/reward postcards

Check in Boarders
Fill out boarding card accurately.
Make sure any exams or baths are noted on board.
Leave all belongings for each pet together so that they can be labeled.
Lead each pet to their destination in kennels.
Change the reserved spot in boarding to occupied.
Check out Boarders
Make sure charges are correct and everything is added (refills, baths, exams, etc)
Let kennel manager know they are ready to go home.
Make sure all belongings go
  more... home with dog or cat.

End of Day
Call and remind appointments for next business day.
Fill out surgery authorization sheets.
Print out boarding cards, arrival/departure report.
Make sure all boarders or surgeries that go home the same day are gone or find out if they are staying.

Close up Clinic
Pros
Co-workers kept a great work relationship, love working with animals and their owners
Cons
Not enough hours
Wonderful place to work in the small town atmosphere
Personal Assistant for husband/wife veterinarians (Former Employee) –  Cheney, KSApril 29, 2014
This job required many different "hats" to be worn which allowed for an exciting day every day. Lots of interaction with the community. Helping people find their new residence was fun.
always educational
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAFebruary 22, 2014
heavy telephones, making appointments, filing charts, order and stocking pet supplies. checking out when appointment is over. hardest to see ill pets, best to see healthy pets.
Pros
always learning
Cons
no health care
Very high pace office and everyone worked very well together and all friends
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, TNFebruary 13, 2014
This office was a high pace hospital. I would assist with emergencies, surgeries, or run the front office alone. Answer high volume of incoming calls while handling in-person inquiries from clients and colleagues. Definitely learned a lot, I always worked in grocery stores or catering. I wanted to learn a different trade, so I learned a lot from the doctor and vet techs in surgery and rooms. Office manager is the best mentor for teaching me how to be an outstanding receptionist. The hardest part of the job was dealing with people who neglected or abused their animals. The most enjoyable part was working with people and helping their pets.
Pros
Made friends for life with the people I worked with at Companion
Cons
No insurance offered