Compass Bank Employee Reviews

Unfortunate Management
Teller (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 7, 2017
The management in the area I worked in was less than adequate. In an industry that I expected to be team oriented with each employee working together to meet the customers needs; it was very competitive with little reward. The tellers were treated as though they didn't matter and were not respected. It was a toxic environment and I am hopeful that not every banking center is the same.
Pros
office feel, banking process, customer experience
Cons
management, lack of team-building
Excellent Bank to Work For
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 18, 2016
I absolutely love BBVA Compass. I have worked here for almost 3 years and have had the pleasure of experiencing 3 different jobs. BBVA is wonderful about promoting within and really value their team members. They have a whole week every year dedicated to employee appreciation. I love this company and highly recommend!
Pros
Great promotional opportunity, awesome and inclusive culture
Cons
Some management could use improvement, compensation could be better
Stay away
Sales and Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  AlabamaSeptember 29, 2016
Worked for this company for over a year many changes were implemented without prior notice. There is absolutely no work life balance. As an SSA you will always perform as a teller while being expected to meet sales which are for every SSA district wide no matter the area that you are located in. This company does not believe in adequately staffing its branches, sufficient training or work life balance. The onboarding training is awful and you are basically thrown in the fire upon completion of your 2 week on board training.
Pros
Decent health benefits
Cons
No work life balance, over worked, inadequate staffing
Innovative Bank
Internal Auditor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 24, 2017
During my time with BBVA Compass we went through 5 acquisitions and one huge system upgrade. We're there hard time? Of course, however I was immensely impressed at how positive, encouraging & engaged upper management was with the company as a whole. Great place to work
Pros
Eye on the future
Cons
started at the bottom and got stuck with lower salary. He to leave to do better financially
Compass is a nice place to work
OPERATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 17, 2016
Compass Bank is a big organization to work for a typical day at work would be very fast paced and getting dead-line out on time. Management is making sure things are ran smoothly. Co-workers are very helpful, and the hardest part is sometimes you are working so hard to make sure everything is done correctly and get out on time that you may prolong go to the rest room the enjoyable part is that you get along with your team mate and helping each other
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
We have a short break
Good company to work with
Workplace Solutions Officer (Current Employee) –  McAllen, TXDecember 22, 2016
AWESOME BENEFITS, vacations, 401k, sick days, FMLA, time management, never had a problem with HR, awesome team players, only problem is to be promoted you have to be friend with district manager
4 Managers in 4 years
Sr. Financial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 24, 2016
This was my first job in a financial institution.
Gained experience in the industry, predominately in sales.
Opportunity to make good salary and commissions based on demanding sales and service culture.
Pros
Manager who hired me gave me a chance to learn industry with no experience in banking.
Cons
Frequent turnover in management interfered with team cohesiveness.
Enjoyable
Asset Processor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 13, 2017
Typical day was like any other Mortgage company, culture was ok. Work flow was manageable and the co-workers were always helpful. Management was also approchable.
Beyond awful
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2016
BBVA has managed to alienate and drive away its work force talent, As an Operations Manager and a long-term employee, workload was impossible, employees lacked qualifications, hours were never-ending, and HR acted as a police force rather than a resource. If you have no scruples, no self-respect, and no empathy for others, this is the firm for you. If you like being bullied, treated with no respect, and living in a culture of fear, this one's for you. Prepare to work sixty plus hours/week with stellar results and still be criticized. Prepare to take your concerns to HR, and be scolded for speaking up. Be prepared for HR to be unaware of basic employment needs, and the firm's benefits and policies. Compass was a good company but that is long past.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Vengeful management, poor benefits, HR needs complete OVERHAUL

Comment – April 7, 2016

This is exactly correct. I would also add that the benefits are extremely poor compared to other banks.

Comment – May 13, 2016

Job postings are often not filled, then reposted, as the firm's issues are well known, especially in certain areas that specialize in non-deposit products. The same position will be posted on and off for months and months.

great learning experience but horrible HR and policies
Program and IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 2, 2016
If you like to work A LOT, 60-75 hrs a week on salary, and then get hounded by HR continuously for getting promotions and raises that put you above your peers, then this company is for you!
Maybe it's because I was located in a traditionally non-financial city when I worked for BBVA, but HR was known to burn good talent and chase them away, compensation was ridiculously low - I make over twice as much now in a non-executive position.
I loved everyone I worked with, which is the only reason I stayed as long as I did - great people to work with! But coming from a BIG BANK world of compliance, the corporate shadiness was more than I could deal with. Add in the measly hourly rate allowance they gave me to work with to hire qualified staff and no training budget - upper management virtually made an extremely difficult situation impossible. You can't completely replace an entire system and meet new compliance demands with resources who are not qualified or trained! You need to attract and KEEP good talent.
Pros
friendly staff, challenging growth and advancement opportunity due to lack of bank experience in Alabama
Cons
corrupt HR practices, lack of big bank industry talent and experience
Bbva Compass
Teller/Retail Branch Associate (Former Employee) –  ColoradoSeptember 30, 2016
Good benefits. Great pay. Best in the business. Good hours. Would advise having experience as some things you are left guessing on. Advancement is viewed as "do I like you, or do I not" so be sure to try and make friends not vengeance
NOT A "Best Place To Work"
Back Office (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 13, 2016
BBVA Compass is not what it once was.The company has SERIOUS deficiencies in management across the bank and compensation in comparison to other large banks is not competitive.
Productive place to work
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  ColoradoAugust 29, 2016
Very competitive with other Banks as far as pay. The upper management helps with everyday issues and or goals. You are never to small for help. The bonus structure is much better than any other financial institution that I have seen .
Pros
Pay/Customer Service is wonderful
Cons
N/A
loved the job
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 16, 2016
having to set up my draw for the days work of deposits and cashing checks. learned how to try and convince customers that were new to the bank about opening accounts. The management and coworkers were very helpful when I needed to make sure about what to process and what not to process. The hardest about the job is making sure that the customers checks were correct and authentic and when it was ok to cash a check from having to get them to deposit the check.

The most enjoyable was meeting the new customers and being able to do the job and proof correctly at the end of the day.
Pros
no weekends
Cons
if don't proof at the end of the day
Fun working environment in meeting a lot of new people
Front Line/Drive Thru Teller (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 20, 2016
I learned how to review customer accounts, complete financial transactions, and learned how to treat customers in a professional business matter while being kind and friendly.
Pros
solid work schedule
Cons
no chance in advancement
Lots of Opportunity
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 16, 2016
The company will train you and give you tools to sell a lot of products in the financial industry. The base salary isn't too bad, but the bonus structure is difficult to manage. And at many times it feels as though senior management does not know what they want to do.
Was a fun work environment
Branch Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 28, 2016
Fun work environment, hard working employees. Management was very helpful and if there were concerns they were addressed, The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interaction.
Proof Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 1, 2017
Fast pace environment and always busy. Co-worker were team players and hard working. Everyone was very helpful they training taught me how to 10-key and encoding checks, balance deposits, and correct errors.
Pros
Free lunches and company picnic
Cons
poor benefits
N/a
Financial Analyst IV (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 14, 2016
Opportunity to work with some really good people. However, the organization is not big on development/advancement and I have questions concerning the long term direction of the organization.
Na
CEOM (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 6, 2016
Management at BBVA Compass has help me grow in my personal and work life. This opportunity has made me want to further my career.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

80%