Compass Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Bank to Work For
Financial Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJuly 18, 2016
I absolutely love BBVA Compass. I have worked here for almost 3 years and have had the pleasure of experiencing 3 different jobs. BBVA is wonderful about promoting within and really value their team members. They have a whole week every year dedicated to employee appreciation. I love this company and highly recommend!
Pros
Great promotional opportunity, awesome and inclusive culture
Cons
Some management could use improvement, compensation could be better
Nice place to work; although the open seating is distracting, the people are wonderful and supportive
Credit Risk Operations, MANAGER, VP (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2016
The Bank is successful and a great place for folks to maintain job work/life balance. Programs are delivered with the desire to improve the Work/Life Balance, promotes health and provides learning opportunities.
Pros
Work from home twice a week, flexible hours when necessary, cafeteria on site, office is 7 miles from home, free garage parking, secure building, onsite gym, points are given for physical activities and can be applied to health needs
Cons
Large bank challenges, open seating concept is distracting / disruptive at times
a very nice institution to work for.
Senior Branch Associate [bank teller] (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 26, 2016
A typical day at work - everyone is ready to help customers with their needs. What i learned - treat customers as you would like to be treated. Management - managers are always there to help when needed. co-workers - they help each other out when one is falling be hide on work. the hardest part of the job - is when you have an irate customer. The most enjoyable part of the job - is making sure your customers are happy and leave with a smile.
Pros
free lunch and desert
Cons
sometimes no breaks
Fun and professional workplace
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2016
The day at BBVA Compass was basically running all day doing a million things at once. Multitasking was a main skill you had to learn. Make sure if any customers have issues they were resolved immediately and if we didn't know the resolution we had to find one. It was fun because there was always something to do and my co-workers were awesome and work as a team.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
4 Managers in 4 years
Sr. Financial Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, TXJune 24, 2016
This was my first job in a financial institution.
Gained experience in the industry, predominately in sales.
Opportunity to make good salary and commissions based on demanding sales and service culture.
Pros
Manager who hired me gave me a chance to learn industry with no experience in banking.
Cons
Frequent turnover in management interfered with team cohesiveness.
Good company to work for with opportunities to advance in your career.
Assistant Vice President / Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Homewood, ALMay 20, 2016
Good company to work for with opportunities to advance in your career. My work days were busy, and I was supervised by a team of experienced managers. My co-workers were professional and knowledgeable.
Pros
Opportunity for advance.
Cons
Salaries for entry level employees with college degrees could have been better.
Great Leadership & Management
Branch Retail Executive (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 5, 2016
Great bank. Great products. Great support for associates. New wave of "priorities" is skewed and not placing enough focus on associates or customers.
Pros
Great Leadership, Supportive Managers, Great Training
Cons
No Salary Increases, Lack of Maternity Benefits, Poor Decisions being made on what is a priority, Clients Not a Focus
Beyond awful
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2016
BBVA has managed to alienate and drive away its work force talent, As an Operations Manager and a long-term employee, workload was impossible, employees lacked qualifications, hours were never-ending, and HR acted as a police force rather than a resource. If you have no scruples, no self-respect, and no empathy for others, this is the firm for you. If you like being bullied, treated with no respect, and living in a culture of fear, this one's for you. Prepare to work sixty plus hours/week with stellar results and still be criticized. Prepare to take your concerns to HR, and be scolded for speaking up. Be prepared for HR to be unaware of basic employment needs, and the firm's benefits and policies. Compass was a good company but that is long past.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Vengeful management, poor benefits, HR needs complete OVERHAUL

Comment – April 7, 2016

This is exactly correct. I would also add that the benefits are extremely poor compared to other banks.

Comment – May 13, 2016

Job postings are often not filled, then reposted, as the firm's issues are well known, especially in certain areas that specialize in non-deposit products. The same position will be posted on and off for months and months.

Great team but no recognition for our hard work
Branch Associate- Teller (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 3, 2016
It would be a great company to work for if they noticed how hard their employees work and compensate them for it. Instead they decide to delay our increases. At the location I work for the manager is great. He is a leader and most of my co-workers are great. We are a team, however the assistance manager lacks leadership and confidence. I felt like I had to do all of her work and yet not get recognized. Upper management needs to see what's going on at the branch level. Benefits are not that good. Insurance sucks and I had to pay for my stuff most of the time. Overall I need to find a different job.
Pros
team
Cons
benefits, upper management
Great Employee Benefits
Senior Branch Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsboro, ALJune 21, 2016
Goals are pretty strict, and there's a tendency toward micromanagement at both branch and district level. Benefits are excellent. They participate in the Virgin Pulse program, which allows you to get paid just for wearing a pedometer and making step goals.
Benefits
Cons
Heavy on sales
Poor Use of Resources
Financial Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXMarch 8, 2016
System failures on a monthly basis
Short-staffed Customer Service Reps that left bankers and customers alike on hold for several minutes.
Loans took exceptionally long to close due to the lack of staffing in various departments.
New products never worked when initially presented to customers.
Pros
Great Pay, Loyal Customers
Cons
poor resources, lack of customer care outside of the branches
Your Typical Smaller Bank
Sales and Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 26, 2016
I've been with BBVA for almost two years, I have received two promotions with this company in a year in a half. I came from Chase bank and it was a bit of a change. System wise they are a bit behind than larger banks (you have to do a lot of manual work). The turnover rates are pretty high due to poor management. From the teller side, it's pretty simple. It's very easy to make payout per quarter if you do your referrals. Platform side is a bit different (I work both teller and platform side being an SSA). The goals at my branch are pretty steep which requires you to work your butt off if you want to make payout. It's a bit of a dog eat dog eat world. The most enjoyable part of my job is my coworkers because we all work as a team to get the job done at the end of the day.

PS: The health insurance is HORRIBLE!!!
Pros
Internal Promotions & Pay
Cons
Management & Health Insurance
No work/life balance
Client Experience Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJuly 11, 2016
You are expected to work 6 days a week if you work on a Saturday. You only get 2 weeks of vacation until your 5th year, then you only get 3 weeks, unless you get promoted to a higher level. Family doesn't come first with this company
Can be a good experience depending on the branch
Financial Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 8, 2016
The overall experience definitely depends on the branch management and branch employees. The district management can change at any time and towards the end it was very micro-managed.
Cons
6-day work weeks
Training is Non-existent
Financial Sales Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2016
Job description and performance is unclear. Training is non existent.
Ver difficult to build relationships with clients. Loan processing is very difficult for clients to get approved
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Bonuses do no exist
Helped customers with their financial needs.
PRIVATE BANKING OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJuly 11, 2016
We opened each day to help and resolve issues our customers had. We ran teller drawers, balanced drawers, we greeted all customers as family.
Pros
Great way to help people
Cons
I didn't uncover any cons
Branch Retail Executive (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 10, 2016
Good place to work, location is the key. They are working on revamping the training and how information is distributed so all are on same page. To quote upper management "we want t be a real bank."
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Do more with less attitude
SBA Closer
SBA Loan Closer III (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 4, 2016
It was a great place to work, it was hard work and it takes a special person to work in SBA. Work life balance is encouraged but can be hard to balance with the pace of work that is expected. It was a great group of people to work with.
Contract Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 29, 2016
Great people, great place to work. I was a contractor and hope to have a chance to work with BBVA Compass again. SVP can be difficult at times but direct manager was great.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Senior Management
Sales & Services Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2016
I had a great time at Compass. A great learning experience.
Management was new, so i would of liked to see and receive more hands on training for new employees.
Pros
good work/life balance
Cons
not enough training