Compass Group

Compass Group Employer Reviews

not stable
Cook (Current Employee), Springfield, MOMarch 26, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: if you work weekends your stuck there
Management caused more of the internal turmoil then staff. Huddles used as a way of verbal retribution for day before mistakes even if you had no part in them. No communication between supervisors, lots of competition for no reason. every co worker hated job. when out for xmas and spring break, they don't tell you they will still charge you for insurance, even though your not working. went a few months with out pay cause I had to catch up on insurance
Company okay but bad management
Food Service Manager (Current Employee), New YorkMarch 24, 2015
Cons: Bad management, Lack of support from HR
The chain of command at this place is horrible. HR does not support it's employees and trying to get assistance is impossible. Several managers have left due to upper management problems so beware. You would expect a large company like this to have systems, processes and people in place that would insure a healthy work environment. Not the cave at this facility.
A place to work if you want a good paycheck and not work the summer.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Adrian, MichiganMarch 23, 2015
A typical day at Compass Group is a bit of a challenge. From prepping the meals to dealing with college students. During the work week (Monday through Friday) in a position such as mine, you'd get a three and a half hour day, on the weekends it would eat up your entire weekend. I found this to be very inconvenient, but beggars can't be choosers. The typical day you'd prep the food lines, and "slide" student ID's so that the students could eat their meal(s). After you got your students in you'd have to clean tables through out the meals so they'd have a clean surface to eat off of. At the end of the meal you'd then have to clean up the entire dining hall.

I learned not to take your co-workers word that the manager said that it was okay to go home and they would take over. ALWAYS ask your manager! It was my first job, so this slip up along with other attendance issues had lost me this job. I also learned how to manage my time better because you only had about half an hour to set up all of the food lines and food bars.

The management was good. Really good. My manager here knew how to be a leader rather than a boss. If you thought about it I actually answered to three. The manager, the head chef and the accountant. My chef was a fun guy who would teach you techniques if you didn't know them, like how to julienne a pepper for example. The accountant had to make sure I counted my drawer properly.

My co-workers were another story. While I loved working with a lot of them, the rest of them acted like they were still in elementary school even though we were supposed to be adults. – more... Rumors, back stabbing, and bullying went on behind the scenes. I know this because I was the victim of a lot of it. There were a few, like the pastry chef and the prep cook that were good to me.

The hardest part of the job was a toss up between the students and some of my meaner co-workers. It wasn't even the work itself that was that difficult. I would have rather shut out all of the social drama and worked on prepping the salad bar. The most enjoyable part was the caterings, while they were difficult to do they were fun. We had a wedding we catered for and it had to have been one of the funnest days I had at work. – less
Nice
Engineer on Duty III / Painter (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 21, 2015
A really fun place to work. Great people both employees and guests. I would recommend working here for many different reasons. The food, theme and people make it a wonderful place to work every day.
Enjoyed the Job, but wish the pay was higher
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee), Claremont, NCMarch 19, 2015
I would love to still be working there but I had health issues and couldn't stay longer. The quality of the food was awesome. My supervisor was great.
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for
Prep Cook (Current Employee), College Station, TXMarch 18, 2015
Well, not sure where to start. They were hiring in people with less experience at 5 dollars more than others. The management here was abostulty terriable. I worked for the A M campus in College Station, and by God, the whole Campus was short handed by about 100 people. The average employee time there was two months, and not because it was a College town. We had next-to-nothing in student workers. It was told to us that Students made up 7 percent of our workforce. They would not pay the correct pay for the kind of work people did, and it took almost 5 weeks from the day they called you to get hired on.

DO NOT WORK for such a terrible company. They do not care about people.
Wouldn't Recommend this to my Worst Enemy
Utility (Former Employee), Atlanta, GaMarch 16, 2015
Pros: M-F work schedule, free Food
Cons: pretty much everything I've announced in this review
I've worked for this company for almost 4 years now and its been a complete nightmare from day 1. I've read many reviews on this place and at least 90℅ of the Employees have the same issues I've been having for awhile. First of all I work as a Utility and some how end up doing at least 3 or 4 positions with NO pay increase or NO place of advancement. I made $8.50 at first and now after all the work I've been doing and I still and Remain to make $9.50 in the course of 4 years with no promotion. The Client is a jerk himaelf , he basically encourages the costumers to come in a ridicule us everyday and if they don't like the way you cook or even present yourself one call and you get yelled at No excuses. I work like a slave and neither the managers or the client cares about your well being or health... They just want to to work no matter how ridiculous or stressfull the work environment can get. Management always seems to care all about the client and not the employees at all so if you have a problem you are pretty much on your own. They tell you to smile and take what ever punishment they throw at you so they can keep taking his money. Because of these many flaws I'm forced to leave this place. There are people who work here that's been here for 20 years and still making $11.00 and hour and still not advanced in this business and any type of realist or individual attitude is frowned upon. I'm 30 years old and want to be married and have kids and had to tell my Fiancé that refuse to marry her still working for this company. I strongly urge whomever to turn the other direction on this company. You will waste your life being here trying to make it and will regret it... Apply at your own risk.
Nightmare Management Company
Executive Chef (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: maggie mclafferty, freddie stephens, sammy mowery
I was originally hired as the Director of Culinary at Qualcomm.
Position was later offered as General Manager Café S.
I had quite a successful career with Eurest despite having a district manager, regional vice president which were ( are) of tune with smart business decisions. Stress level was high, but the benefits were good considering the source.
I thought the promotion would be a fresh start, and with hard work and over 30 years of experience I could overcome these obstacles.
It lasted less than 60 days. From the transition from regional support to the management level thousand of dollars in losses occurred from regional mis- management. These individuals are still with the company and travel through the Southern California Region dodging bullets.
Long hours, go without any consideration. Empty promises from Western Region Chicago management team is a standard operating procedure.
Carefully, stay away from SDG&E location, Sempra, Motorola, and Goodrich locations.
In closing, micro-managing the process is again there operating agenda
I now work with Sodexo, and have found that balance between family life and career
Overall, a very good employer
HR BUSINESS PARTNER (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 10, 2015
Pros: working relationships and growth opportunity
Cons: work/life balance sometimes a challenge
Compass has many positive aspects as an employer. They reward dedication and hard work. There are many talented people with much to offer working at Compass.
No Room for Advancement, Short Term Place to work
Executive Chef (Current Employee), Atlanta, GaMarch 9, 2015
Pros: Very few weekend
Cons: More than I could write here. Get out quickly if you decide to get in !!!
I have been with the company for more than a year. I work in a great Hospital and enjoy the job. But don't be fooled. You will be gone if the hospital "Client" Sneezes or the Upper management thinks your not the right fit, you will be gone. At orientation we were told that Compass needs 50,000 managers in the next 5 years. A very true statement, but because they will let you go in a heartbeat. I have more than 30yrs in the business and am now looking to find another company to work for because of the work environment. Your director will be praised and you as a chef will be NOTHING!!! Executive Chef, is a just out of school position. There is no place to go from here. Do not get suckered into thinking you have a chance at a regional position (which does not pay anything extra, bt gives you plenty of extra work) or a corporate Chef position. YOU WILL NEVER GET THERE!!!! you are the first person to be let go for anything and everything!!!! I an still an employee and like I said love my job, but 30+ years of experience says RUN and RUN Very fast!!!!!
Great company to work for, depends on the location you land at.
Executive Chef (Former Employee), Bollingbrook, ILMarch 8, 2015
Again, this depends on the location and the district manager. If you land at a good account it will be a fantastic job with work life balance.
Lots of fun working with over 40 people everyday is fun
Runner (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 6, 2015
Pros: free launch
Cons: health care
Everyday has its own challenges, making sure all customers of over 400 to 500 people are comfortable, creating a good working environment for staffs to work with.
The managers are fun to work with.
no advacement / bad mangment to empolyee relations
Route driver (Former Employee), canteen vending in columbia sc.March 4, 2015
Pros: work alone
Cons: no advancement
worked for company for all most ten years as an route driver and during this time never had an pay increase or a review of work growth, had a lot of accounts that where in jeopardy that the branch was to lose but I worked hard to save the accounts and not even a thank you from management, trained several new employees throughout my time there never compensation for any extra work. No incentives for employees, management never listen or receive any ideals from employees or ever tried to assist with achieving goals for the overall good of the company. I did not leave company on bad terms resigned because there is no opportunity for advancement what so ever. just a lot of hard back breaking work for nothing.
Great co-workers
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), Washington DCMarch 3, 2015
Excellent place to work if you are dedicated and will to put in 10 hours per day, Pay and benefits are excellent fast paced environment wonderful coworkers.
A fun place to work cooking and serving uviversity students.
cook (Current Employee), Denver, Co.March 2, 2015
Prep and cook designated food for a station and serve students.
Make two daily soups from scratch.
Good team work, and have a good time.
High volume production, advancement opportunities
Senior Chef (Current Employee), Purchase , NYFebruary 21, 2015
My unit is a college with a strong emphasis on providing creative, healthy and delicious meals for a variety of needs and tastes. With a large staff and multiple departments, I've learned to communicate what our team goals are, and to delegate and hold staff accountable.
I helped to create a culture of ownership and pride in the operation. I really enjoy the feedback from students and faculty, especially those with food allergies or restrictions that often feel that their choices are limited and unsatisfying. The most challenging aspect of the job is staying on budget while providing fresh, creative, delicious menus to a demanding audience.
Food, Food and more food!
Office Manager / Lead Cashier (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 19, 2015
I enjoyed my time working with great employees and management. The unit i was working at had many events, and top culinary chefs (in my opinion).
A great people to work with.
Customer Service Cashier Receiver (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: free lunch
Cons: no, breaks, only lunch time.
Assisted manager with supervision responsibilities, including handling returns, refunds, and analyzing completed customer services.
very fast moving company - always revolutionizing new ideas and processes.
Food Service Director (Current Employee), Kennesaw, GAFebruary 13, 2015
I have been with the company for 5.5 years now and my day consists of reviewing financials for locations, daily guidance of junior managers as well as strict QA standards and policies, daily cash reconcilliation, management of all hourly employees at my home unit, and reporting to upper management on a weekly basis.
Fun safe and fast pace
Corporate Event Planner (Former Employee), Redmond WAFebruary 13, 2015
Great place to work with great management team to lead you in your roll as well as any advancement you might want. I would work wit this company again in the future

1 2 3 4 5

About Compass Group

Compass Group plc is a global contract foodservice and support services company headquartered near London, United Kingdom. It – Read more

Compass Group Salaries