Compass Group

1.0K reviews

Compass Group Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
General Manager Crothall Laundry Services (Current Employee), Denver, COApril 25, 2015
Pros: 3 personal days/ year
Cons: none
7 days of operations, I have learned the financial and how to manage the P&L and be a successful manager.I consider the hardest part of any job is an opportunity to learn and growth. I most enjoy the diversities of the people i am part of.
Terrible training
Conference Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
Nice company to work for, but as far as the training it was really hard for you to do your job when no one had given the correct direction to go on.
Great culture and stable environment
Assistant (Former Employee), Davie, FLApril 16, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: Long working hours
Greatly enjoyed my time at Compass group as an assistant. A stable environment with great support from management. During my time I was able to experience numerous benefits that Compass group was able to offer such as tuition assistance.
Productive and Fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCApril 14, 2015
It was a Great Experience. Met different Cultural. Everyone worked as a team and met the needs of out customers. Management was there to help right away.
great place to work
Cashier / Daily starter (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 9, 2015
i enjoy working for the company, not a lot of advancement offered, management focus only on money and not employees, co workers seem pleasant but sometimes hire only to fill positions on the spot.
Very good company, with ability for advancement if your are mobile.
District Operational Support Manager (Former Employee), Radford, Eastern USApril 8, 2015
Pros: Must have people skills, The ability to jump in to provide support for other accounts if necessary.
Cons: Didn't have any.
Opportunities galore if you are willing to relocate. They take care of their employees and provide education and advancement for those that excel!!! Training provided on site and at corporate office.
very productive person
deli station (Former Employee), Irving, TXApril 4, 2015
Pros: good work place
Cons: any
i am a quick learner!!!!!!!!! i am learned cooking tips, deli prep, and salad prep,my co-workers are super good people the manager is awesome and i don't have nothing bad to said for this job every day is super enjoyable for us special for mi
Very Productive work place
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Chatham New JerseyApril 3, 2015
Pros: loving environment
Cons: only part time
I really enjoyed working for this company and working with the employees there also. The overall process of getting the meals prepared for the students was overwhelming. I learned about the correct temperatures of different food products. I learned what is appropriate for the student and what is not. I learned how to keep the cash flow of each students account in order. I learned how to set up and break down the eating area.
Great Company!
Sous and Chef de Cuisine (Former Employee), aliso viejo CAMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Free lunch
Cons: none
Had fun here.
Many challenges, and many events.
Weekly revolving menu writing made it exciting to cook
Long days. Friendly staff at both locations I worked at. The Covington Team was my favorite location.
fun workplace
Dishwasher (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYMarch 26, 2015
when I started to work with this company I've learned new things and I used these new techniques to help me get through the day. I work with wonderful co-workers and the hardest part of the day is leaving the job because I enjoy working there. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things to prepare food and watching the kids enjoy the food
not stable
Cook (Current Employee), Springfield, MOMarch 26, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: if you work weekends your stuck there
Management caused more of the internal turmoil then staff. Huddles used as a way of verbal retribution for day before mistakes even if you had no part in them. No communication between supervisors, lots of competition for no reason. every co worker hated job. when out for xmas and spring break, they don't tell you they will still charge you for insurance, even though your not working. went a few months with out pay cause I had to catch up on insurance
Company okay but bad management
Food Service Manager (Current Employee), New YorkMarch 24, 2015
Cons: Bad management, Lack of support from HR
The chain of command at this place is horrible. HR does not support it's employees and trying to get assistance is impossible. Several managers have left due to upper management problems so beware. You would expect a large company like this to have systems, processes and people in place that would insure a healthy work environment. Not the cave at this facility.
A place to work if you want a good paycheck and not work the summer.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Adrian, MichiganMarch 23, 2015
A typical day at Compass Group is a bit of a challenge. From prepping the meals to dealing with college students. During the work week (Monday through Friday) in a position such as mine, you'd get a three and a half hour day, on the weekends it would eat up your entire weekend. I found this to be very inconvenient, but beggars can't be choosers. The typical day you'd prep the food lines, and "slide" student ID's so that the students could eat their meal(s). After you got your students in you'd have to clean tables through out the meals so they'd have a clean surface to eat off of. At the end of the meal you'd then have to clean up the entire dining hall.

I learned not to take your co-workers word that the manager said that it was okay to go home and they would take over. ALWAYS ask your manager! It was my first job, so this slip up along with other attendance issues had lost me this job. I also learned how to manage my time better because you only had about half an hour to set up all of the food lines and food bars.

The management was good. Really good. My manager here knew how to be a leader rather than a boss. If you thought about it I actually answered to three. The manager, the head chef and the accountant. My chef was a fun guy who would teach you techniques if you didn't know them, like how to julienne a pepper for example. The accountant had to make sure I counted my drawer properly.

My co-workers were another story. While I loved working with a lot of them, the rest of them acted like they were still in elementary school even though we were supposed to be adults. – more... Rumors, back stabbing, and bullying went on behind the scenes. I know this because I was the victim of a lot of it. There were a few, like the pastry chef and the prep cook that were good to me.

The hardest part of the job was a toss up between the students and some of my meaner co-workers. It wasn't even the work itself that was that difficult. I would have rather shut out all of the social drama and worked on prepping the salad bar. The most enjoyable part was the caterings, while they were difficult to do they were fun. We had a wedding we catered for and it had to have been one of the funnest days I had at work. – less
Nice
Engineer on Duty III / Painter (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 21, 2015
A really fun place to work. Great people both employees and guests. I would recommend working here for many different reasons. The food, theme and people make it a wonderful place to work every day.
Enjoyed the Job, but wish the pay was higher
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee), Claremont, NCMarch 19, 2015
I would love to still be working there but I had health issues and couldn't stay longer. The quality of the food was awesome. My supervisor was great.
Probably the worst company I have ever worked for
Prep Cook (Current Employee), College Station, TXMarch 18, 2015
Well, not sure where to start. They were hiring in people with less experience at 5 dollars more than others. The management here was abostulty terriable. I worked for the A M campus in College Station, and by God, the whole Campus was short handed by about 100 people. The average employee time there was two months, and not because it was a College town. We had next-to-nothing in student workers. It was told to us that Students made up 7 percent of our workforce. They would not pay the correct pay for the kind of work people did, and it took almost 5 weeks from the day they called you to get hired on.

DO NOT WORK for such a terrible company. They do not care about people.
Great company to work for
FOOD SERVICE DIRECTOR (Former Employee), paMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Great work schedule
Cons: Sometimes what the company expected was unattainable
Great company to work for. The best thing was the mon-fri work week, that is hard to find in food service. I began with the company when it was Newport Food Service. The owners cared and new all the employees, especially management. Once Compass took over, that all changed. You soon became just a number and the most important thing was the bottom line.
Hard place to grow in my field
Nutritional Therapy Coordinator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Very encouraging staff.
Cons: no leadership
The job I did was enjoyable, but I lacked leadership and direction from my management team. I could do anything that I wanted to as long as my duties were met, and I was encouraged to participate in extra things, but was never allowed to grow as an employee due to the job constraints.
Wouldn't Recommend this to my Worst Enemy
Utility (Former Employee), Atlanta, GaMarch 16, 2015
Pros: M-F work schedule, free Food
Cons: pretty much everything I've announced in this review
I've worked for this company for almost 4 years now and its been a complete nightmare from day 1. I've read many reviews on this place and at least 90℅ of the Employees have the same issues I've been having for awhile. First of all I work as a Utility and some how end up doing at least 3 or 4 positions with NO pay increase or NO place of advancement. I made $8.50 at first and now after all the work I've been doing and I still and Remain to make $9.50 in the course of 4 years with no promotion. The Client is a jerk himaelf , he basically encourages the costumers to come in a ridicule us everyday and if they don't like the way you cook or even present yourself one call and you get yelled at No excuses. I work like a slave and neither the managers or the client cares about your well being or health... They just want to to work no matter how ridiculous or stressfull the work environment can get. Management always seems to care all about the client and not the employees at all so if you have a problem you are pretty much on your own. They tell you to smile and take what ever punishment they throw at you so they can keep taking his money. Because of these many flaws I'm forced to leave this place. There are people who work here that's been here for 20 years and still making $11.00 and hour and still not advanced in this business and any type of realist or individual attitude is frowned upon. I'm 30 years old and want to be married and have kids and had to tell my Fiancé that refuse to marry her still working for this company. I strongly urge whomever to turn the other direction on this company. You will waste your life being here trying to make it and will regret it... Apply at your own risk.
Nightmare Management Company
Executive Chef (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMarch 14, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: maggie mclafferty, freddie stephens, sammy mowery
I was originally hired as the Director of Culinary at Qualcomm.
Position was later offered as General Manager Café S.
I had quite a successful career with Eurest despite having a district manager, regional vice president which were ( are) of tune with smart business decisions. Stress level was high, but the benefits were good considering the source.
I thought the promotion would be a fresh start, and with hard work and over 30 years of experience I could overcome these obstacles.
It lasted less than 60 days. From the transition from regional support to the management level thousand of dollars in losses occurred from regional mis- management. These individuals are still with the company and travel through the Southern California Region dodging bullets.
Long hours, go without any consideration. Empty promises from Western Region Chicago management team is a standard operating procedure.
Carefully, stay away from SDG&E location, Sempra, Motorola, and Goodrich locations.
In closing, micro-managing the process is again there operating agenda
I now work with Sodexo, and have found that balance between family life and career