Compass Group Employee Reviews in United States

High energy workplace for college students to dine at
Cook/cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 13, 2015
Depending on the day, I would perform different duties, but most days I would bounce around to each position such as pizza and pasta, salad bar, grill, deli, bakery, hot line, omelette station, and cashier. I learned how to work well with a team as well as how to better understand foreign students. I learned to communicate better and how to run the place the way the managers did. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up during a rush when students came in and I had to replace the food as quick as I could. I enjoyed it because it was a fun environment to work in and quite relaxed. People were friendly as well as the students and parents that came in to eat.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits
Cons
Hours were seasonal
A Rewarding Establishment
Chef/Nutritionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 3, 2015
Loved working for the residents, who were discerning in their tastes, yet open to new culinary experiences. I learned a lot from the wisdom of their many years of interpersonal relationships and business savoy
Pros
free meals, creative freedom
Cons
micro management
A good Company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Merrillville INOctober 1, 2015
I arrive at 5:am Monday thru Friday. First thing do is check al my catering orders for the day. Next meet with my Sues Chef and plan the day and assign duties to everyone. Over see the entire operation all day, working alongside my staff and talking with Customers. At the end of the day I count down the registers and make my bank deposit. After entering all of my financial information into my Computer. Check all my e-mails, print out all of my catering orders and Create catering AR'S from the days catering.
Pros
No Nights and Holiday
Cons
Need to try something new
Stringent policies
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 5, 2015
A typical work day is from ten to sixteen hours, producing food and managing others. I learned quickly in this company how to play the corporate game, and was less than enamored to learn the rules. Mostly, these rules breed complacency, and this seems to be rampant. The hardest part of the job was the bureaucracy, however the most enjoyable was producing parties unfettered.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Bureaucracy
Great company to work for
Director of Nutritional Services (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2016
If your looking for a company to grow with in foodservice and many other area's, then Compass Group, USA is the company for you.
Compass may be great but that wasnt my experience.
Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 15, 2015
I am not able to have a work life balance. My typical days are 8-12 hours. Constant demands with little reprieve. Requests made with out the authority to carry them out.
Pros
None for me.
Cons
Entire culture
busy, productive
Cafe Hourly Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 27, 2016
cashier and having conversation with clients and get to know them and what kind of food they would like to eat breakfast and lunch. you get to know them personally as well
Interesting workplace and get to talk to executives daily
Conference Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Cokesbury, NJSeptember 30, 2015
My job changes daily depending on who is in the conference center that day. Could be an every day Joe to the CEO of the company. I enjoy talking and getting to know everyone and helping in anyway possible to make sure their event is a success. I love my job but after 6+ years am looking to get into something different.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Salary
United Nations International School is a fun work environment with interesting people from around the world.
Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2015
Brand new state of the art kitchen makes it easy to provide restaurant quality food that is not labor intensive.Wonderful staff that treats each other like family.Lots of events funded by the P.T.A.where my son was allowed to participate always paid in cash and tipped well for special events.Staff turnover was challenging at times and working Friday and Saturday nights could be hard but i was blessed with a great First Cook and my Senior Food Service Director was also a chef so i learned a great deal.
Pros
Full pay during Summer school while working 4 hours a day.
Cons
No tuition reimbursement.
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this Company via Towson University.My co workers were more than my coworkers they were my family.the highlight of my day was the Students,they loved them some me.I loved my job,the only thing I found challenging was our Thursday's when the Students had to spend their meals.As for management I feel like they don't have your back when things get really tough.
Pros
Paid Vacations
Cons
Occurrences
different skill set
Assistant Baker (Former Employee) –  cleveland, ohioOctober 22, 2015
I enjoy the family set that that opportunity allowed me to experience. and the different food palate that I prepared for our large and diverse cliental for should small venue. learning to take on more responsibilities and planning. it was the life changing experience.
Pros
engaging, lively, and welcoming
Enjoyed working with the associates
Assistant Director of Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Indianola, IAJune 9, 2016
There was never a work- life balance. In the 4 years I worked for this company, there were 18 different managers. There were a couple good ones that valued the associates but most generally they only looked for what you did wrong. They never had a positive attitude. Never got the training you need to do your job correctly. I was even asked by the General Manager of I knew how to do a task that I want qualified for and when I told him no, he said "Yeah, me either" . You have to work your tail off to even be considered for a promotion and the only reason you finally get it is because no- one else wanted it or applied for it. When the company lost the contract, they did not notify the employees. Instead we heard it from the students. The turn over rate is extremely high and I had to cover many positions. Therfore I worked 6 and sometimes 7 days a week to cover the many call ins. Being a salaried manager isn't worth the hassel you go through, especially from upper management. I notice how everyone else gets free meals, we were limited on what we could eat for our lunch unless we paid for it.
Pros
Insurance- i guess
Cons
Over worked- under paid. Very high stress level
People satisfaction
Environmental Services Director (Current Employee) –  West Caldwell, NJOctober 27, 2015
Reply and resolve all messages left by residents. Ensure all areas are on schedule with deadlines throughout the day. Communicate with other management as well as residents all day.
Pros
customer satisfaction
Cons
minimal time to complete scheduled and unscheduled issues
Most supportive of staff, amazing training and development
Director of Child Nutrition (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 21, 2015
Compass Group gives all their employees from the bottom to the top the greatest support and opportunities. Best experience in my 40 years of food service.
Pros
Great support, lots of programs in place to make job easier
Cons
Large Corporation
Great enviroment to grow and teach.
food service manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
Working in foodservice for the past 30 years is a rewarding feeling. I appreciate the daily strive to provide excellent service.
Pros
Meeting and working with great people.
Cons
Working with contract companies, you are not guaranteed a position.
I have over 20 years of experience in the restaurant field.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, New YorkSeptember 3, 2015
I have always loved working with people and bringing joy and happiness to customers, making their day and experience memorable for my satisfaction and well being. Most of my job experience has been in the food business yet I'm a very quick learner and want to expand my opportunities in any profession, excel and be successful in life. Hopefully I can obtain and have my own business in the next five years
Pros
free lunch, great atmosphere and awesome co-workers
Cons
short shifts and limited menus
Busy Busy Busy
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 3, 2016
I learned a lot working for Compass. Mostly about how to deal with large group of associates and how to manage effectively.
Great place to get your foot in the door with wonderful company culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, N.C.September 2, 2015
Compass Group is a wonderful place to work--they are more than willing to take on young associates and train them in high positions.

Management is open to innovation and not afraid to revamp the day-to-day processes in order to make the workplace more efficient and successful.

As an intern, I learned a great deal of valuable training regarding business culture, negotiation skills, and basic job processes. This training has served me well and has lead to many viable connections in the professional world.
Pros
Management, Team Atmosphere, Co-Workers
Having the opportunity of increase customer service everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 30, 2015
Compass group is a hospitality business for many years, serving quality food at reasonable prices. The workplace is fun because we meet different people everyday, so in most cases we meet the expectations of the client.
Pros
free lunch for employees
Cons
short breaks
good company bad pay
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2016
Nice Manager but pay rate is not good , no end of the year bonus, and your work isn't always recognized(you don't always get the credit you deserve)
benefits
Cons
Money