Compass Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great emphasis on health and wellness
MPower Administrator & Exec Coord to CFO (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, gAOctober 13, 2015
One of the things I'm most proud of is the fact that the management team places so much emphasis on healthy living and providing good food in a healthy way.
Pros
Chef-prepared leftovers
Cons
Moving further away
High energy workplace for college students to dine at
Cook/cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOOctober 13, 2015
Depending on the day, I would perform different duties, but most days I would bounce around to each position such as pizza and pasta, salad bar, grill, deli, bakery, hot line, omelette station, and cashier. I learned how to work well with a team as well as how to better understand foreign students. I learned to communicate better and how to run the place the way the managers did. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up during a rush when students came in and I had to replace the food as quick as I could. I enjoyed it because it was a fun environment to work in and quite relaxed. People were friendly as well as the students and parents that came in to eat.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits
Cons
Hours were seasonal
Compass Event Planning
Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAOctober 7, 2015
Good place to work. Good work life balance. Managers are all helpful and nice.Worked at the Microsoft Campus so we planned events from small meetings to large summits. Great employees to work with.
Interesting place to work
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXOctober 5, 2015
A typical day at work is fast paced but warm. Working at Compass Group I learned how to pace myself. The management at the moment isn't the best. The hardest part of the day is coming in during lunch hour , being in the way.
Pros
MEAL PLAN
Cons
RAISES
Stringent policies
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 5, 2015
A typical work day is from ten to sixteen hours, producing food and managing others. I learned quickly in this company how to play the corporate game, and was less than enamored to learn the rules. Mostly, these rules breed complacency, and this seems to be rampant. The hardest part of the job was the bureaucracy, however the most enjoyable was producing parties unfettered.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Bureaucracy
serious workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAOctober 3, 2015
soon as you walk in the door, have to help prep, clean. put up with co-workers attitudes. Enjoyable time: When I go home to relax. some co-workers act like babies. hardest part of the job is having to clean and scrub floors and cold room
Pros
70% off lunches
Cons
10 mins break in the break room
A good Company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Merrillville INOctober 1, 2015
I arrive at 5:am Monday thru Friday. First thing do is check al my catering orders for the day. Next meet with my Sues Chef and plan the day and assign duties to everyone. Over see the entire operation all day, working alongside my staff and talking with Customers. At the end of the day I count down the registers and make my bank deposit. After entering all of my financial information into my Computer. Check all my e-mails, print out all of my catering orders and Create catering AR'S from the days catering.
Pros
No Nights and Holiday
Cons
Need to try something new
Having the opportunity of increase customer service everyday
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJSeptember 30, 2015
Compass group is a hospitality business for many years, serving quality food at reasonable prices. The workplace is fun because we meet different people everyday, so in most cases we meet the expectations of the client.
Pros
free lunch for employees
Cons
short breaks
Not worth the stress for pay
Primary Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville Arkansas, University of ArkansasSeptember 30, 2015
Often handling 700+ costumers in a 3 hour period of non-stop work with no chance for breaks including a drink or restroom. Often felt that there was not time to re-hydrate during this time of non-stop talking and movement. There were safety concerns including mold and slippery floors despite non-slip shoes. I did rediscover that I work best in a fast paced environment and thrive under pressure. There were promises made that were never followed through for advancement. Often times I was treated as a supervisor yet not recognized as one or paid as one, such as training of new employees, mostly cashiers. Management did not communicate well the further down the "food chain" it went. I do not recommend this job for anyone. The workers did their best to make the job more fun but there was only so much that could be done. We were overworked and understaffed everyday with no letting up and no new employees coming in, only more people leaving.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
Short breaks, overworked, short staffed, high stress
Interesting workplace and get to talk to executives daily
Conference Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Cokesbury, NJSeptember 30, 2015
My job changes daily depending on who is in the conference center that day. Could be an every day Joe to the CEO of the company. I enjoy talking and getting to know everyone and helping in anyway possible to make sure their event is a success. I love my job but after 6+ years am looking to get into something different.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Salary
Workplace
Catering Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKSeptember 29, 2015
Working at Rose State College was on of the best experiences of my career, I fostered some good relationships with the staff and faculty, I catered many events and left the client happy.
Good Quality of life
Regional Executive Chef - 4 yrs (Current Employee) –  BRentwood, TNSeptember 29, 2015
Feeding students is very rewarding. I have full support of Company to be creative. Trying new dishes on students is very fun and challenging.
Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 24, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this Company via Towson University.My co workers were more than my coworkers they were my family.the highlight of my day was the Students,they loved them some me.I loved my job,the only thing I found challenging was our Thursday's when the Students had to spend their meals.As for management I feel like they don't have your back when things get really tough.
Pros
Paid Vacations
Cons
Occurrences
Work life balance
Director (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 20, 2015
A Whole LOT of political stuff. Upper management know support. Work life balance doesn't exist. A lot of good old boy elbow rubbing. And it's who you know not what you know. And you have to take one for the team.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Support, politics, high stress, work life balance.
United Nations International School is a fun work environment with interesting people from around the world.
Sous Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2015
Brand new state of the art kitchen makes it easy to provide restaurant quality food that is not labor intensive.Wonderful staff that treats each other like family.Lots of events funded by the P.T.A.where my son was allowed to participate always paid in cash and tipped well for special events.Staff turnover was challenging at times and working Friday and Saturday nights could be hard but i was blessed with a great First Cook and my Senior Food Service Director was also a chef so i learned a great deal.
Pros
Full pay during Summer school while working 4 hours a day.
Cons
No tuition reimbursement.
A job
Grill Cook (Current Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCSeptember 15, 2015
A typical day at work would be fun if wasn't for the stress of gossiping coworkers. Normally, I do my job and do everything I am suppose to do. I learned to cook new and different meals. The hardest is when the people try to make you work too hard for the amount that we get paid.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Bad people
Dietary Aide and Cook
Dietary Aid/Cook (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2015
Preparing meals for patients. I learned how to prepare meals for patients with special diets. Management gave the opportunity for advancement. The co workers were just like family. The hardest part was when some of the patients would die. I really liked this job because had the chance to cook.
Pros
Preparing meals
Cons
rotating shifts
Lots of projects; never a dull day
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 11, 2015
Company has grown tremendously through acquisitions which has provided opportunity for learning. Very project oriented organization which can at times over-burden field managers.
serveing pizza and washing dishes
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 10, 2015
It is a good job but i worked with staff at the hosp that is my first love. That is where my heart is.if i cannot get unit sec. job i will be their
I have over 20 years of experience in the restaurant field.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, New YorkSeptember 3, 2015
I have always loved working with people and bringing joy and happiness to customers, making their day and experience memorable for my satisfaction and well being. Most of my job experience has been in the food business yet I'm a very quick learner and want to expand my opportunities in any profession, excel and be successful in life. Hopefully I can obtain and have my own business in the next five years
Pros
free lunch, great atmosphere and awesome co-workers
Cons
short shifts and limited menus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.