Compass Minerals Employee Reviews

Lousy place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTOctober 27, 2017
Supervisor didn't finish high school. Always trying to be one of the boys. No accountability for anybody. No teamwork. Favorite people get to do what they feel like doing.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
Supervisors
Changing in Compass - Culture and Systems Improving
Sales Analyst, National Accounts (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 16, 2017
Good company trying to change its culture and keep up with the pace of supply chain. Not doing well with new systems integration but they have the right upper management in place to get the job done.
Pros
Lunch off
Cons
10 days PTO. Old school culture. Not many females (<15%) in manager level roles or above.
Interesting company with wonderful assets
Business Director, North American Salt Company (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 16, 2017
Multiple CEO's over the course of my career at CMP each with a different vision of the company requiring the employees to completely change direction.
good place to work
Rail Crew (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTAugust 16, 2017
learned about railroad logistics. The people were good to work with, A long drive with no place to go quick to get some food, but they aranged to have trucks come out.
Pros
good pay
Cons
12 hour rotating shifts
good place to meet new people and start new friendships
Utility hand (Current Employee) –  Franklin, LAAugust 1, 2017
blast salt and loaders would dump in trucks and take to a crusher drillers would drill holes to get ready for blast I learn a lot about heavy machines I really didn't now how to operate anything big the management is not that great it can be better workplace was good everyone got along great the hardest part just being underground anything could happen
Pros
good money
Cons
bad management
Great place to make allot of money
ELECTRICIAN (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 30, 2017
I learned more at the 2 years I've worked here about troubleshooting and electrical technology than anywhere I've worked. Extremely dirty and understaffed
Pros
Pay, experience
Cons
Short staffed, micro managed
Proceed with caution at Compass
Customer Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJuly 26, 2017
Solid business in a stable industry. However, upper management has absolutely zero interest in employee satisfaction or feedback. Several recent changes have lead to staff reduction, work environment restructuring and extreme cost cutting measures. Pay is decent, workload is above average, upper management positions are filled outside the company.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
High workload volume, no concern for employee feedback, low morale
Productive and great place to work
Senior Staff Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 18, 2017
Interesting and challenging. One needs to be focused on issues to deal with, plan and schedule ahead as needed. A lot of reactivity as new challenges spring up surprises daily which are likely to swing one off their target for the day.
Pros
Great place for improvement
Cons
Always need for improvement
Insurance and workplace culture
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Blanche, LAJuly 9, 2017
Benefits are high. The culture of this place is to protect your own and leave everyone else hanging out to dry. Safety is always pushed on paper but rarely followed by management.
Great job
Maintenance Planner (Former Employee) –  Blanche, LAJune 17, 2017
A good place to learn and also teach what you have brought to the job. Good management that looks out for the best way to make the company the most competitive.
Very unfriendly place to work
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNMay 22, 2017
Hands down the worst place I've ever worked. Manager is a complete jerk. If you have a opinion or speak up you get punished or fired. I have never been treated so poorly
Pros
Cons
Manager was was worst ive ever had
Expanding Company
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXMay 17, 2017
Compass Minerals is a very large expanding company that is looking to diversify their revenue stream through the acquisition of new company's. In the Plant nutrition side I have been responsible for growing sales of the specialty Micro Nutrient Products in a four state territory.
New Managment
Load Planner (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 23, 2017
I loved working for Compass Minerals when I first started and then management changed within a year. The new manager for Operations was unprofessional and did not communicate with the staff.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Unprofessional Manager
Enjoyable work and people but inadequate staffing and tools
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTApril 22, 2017
I enjoy my work and the people I work with. However, non-operations personnel is under-compensated and every department runs chronically short staffed. Whether talking to operators or office staff, you find that nearly everybody is under pressure to make do with too few people and without the proper tools.
better organization
Journeyman Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Franklin, LAMarch 27, 2017
this would be a better place to work if it was more organized and work equally distributed among men on shifts, safety is taken very seriously and bonuses reflect that
Pros
good safety bonuses
Cons
some membersof management show severe favoritism
Not friendly
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lyons, KSMarch 14, 2017
Management is not friendly at all. They don't even know how to say Hi. They are very unthoughtful. I just worked there cause I needed a job. They keep adding more things for you to do but the pay never changed.
You just wanted to go to work and get the work done and then go home. It has a very stressful atmosphere.
Lyons, KS
Pros
Has 401k
Cons
High insurance, not friendly
Perform Maintenance on equipment in Salt Plant
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Made schedules to keep up with maintenance on plant machines and equipment. Repair and lubricate machine as neccasary. Perform needed changes due to seasons. Perform Lockout/Tagout Procedures on equipment. (Osha Certfied)
Maintenance supervisor and planner
Planner/Scheduler and supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTNovember 14, 2016
I supervised an electrical maintenance crew. We maintained the production equipment. My job duties were to plan schedules, assign work for each individual, Coach and evaluate personnel performances. Ensure the proper and safe work was performed by my personnel.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits
Cons
I had a long commute.
Culture Stinks
Employee (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMay 13, 2016
The company is made up of older, long term employees who do not understand or embrace change. They actively fight against new ideas or concepts and seem to take little issue or action with how their employees behave. I've been around some of the most unprofessional behavior in my career here and the HR department seems to turn a blind eye to such things, especially when the offenders fall into a 'minority or diversity' classification.

Senior management wears suits all day, every day and there are very very few young employees working here. The culture is a terrible fit for young people. Cube walls tend to be 6+ feet which discourages collaboration and makes being at the office much like a trip to the library. IT Director is hated by all of his managers and staff and will probably cost the company millions of dollars and the loss of very good staff due to incompetence and disinterest.

Compensation and benefits are pretty good but that doesn't make up for the fact that the culture is stuffy, old school and resistant to anyone who might actually care about making the company better. Company touts a set of 'core values' but doesn't come anywhere near living up to them. Integrity is the most important value but their actions in how they deal with the worst offenders demonstrates anything but. If you end up working here, just get used to punching in and punching out without rocking the boat or trying to do anything overly useful and you'll be fine here.
Pros
Fruit in the break rooms.
Cons
Too many jerks.
Compass Minerals
Mine Rescue Team Member/Weighmaster (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTMay 13, 2016
Swing shift is 12 hours a day for 4 crews. Work is 7:00 to 7:00. Safety is number one with tire 1 meetings first thing in the morning, followed up by coordinating daily agenda. Learned logistics working in a rail yard to working with plant equipment. Area inspections are daily to promote preventative maintenance. The night shift rotation by-monthly is the hardest part. I enjoy working with my team. We all strive for safety and operational excellence with everything we do.
Pros
Safety insentives
Cons
Not much room for promotions out side your department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Minerals. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7