COMPTON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews

Making a difference but...
Biology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Working as a teacher at Compton Unified School District has been great. You get to make a difference; however, it is easy to get discourage with the lack of support from administrators, parents and students. However, when you actually make an impact on a student's life, all the negative's things go away because you were able to reach out and make a difference in the life of a person.
Pros
Making a difference, good benefits, flexible hours
Cons
Dealing with unmotivated students, politics, favoritism
Wonderful staff to work with
School Secretary/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAApril 8, 2016
I love the staff and students. Staff and I have a close relationship which makes it fun and manageable work place. Heavy incoming flow of traffic along with heavy phone traffic. It will be very hard and sad to leave my staff. However, the cost of living in California is too expensive and the benefits are getting to be a big stress level while the pay is still at a stand still
Pros
The staff, the staff functions and activities; the paid holidays and time off needed so I can spend with family
Cons
health care, pay rate, the hiring process and no promotional process. People should be promoted based on their work ethics, experiences, dedication and time given to a workplace/employer instead of testing for a higher position
Working with children is rewarding.
Instructional Assistant - Special Education (Current Employee) –  Compton, CADecember 13, 2016
Working with teenagers is a challenge, especially working with Special Education department but it is also rewarding when you see some of them progress in their academic lessons and behavior. The SDC teacher is great to work with and has the patience with these children. I assist with class assignments and watch certain students go to the restroom or office. Also, group of ESL students I translate the assignments for them. Its help me have more patience with individuals, especial children.
Productive workplace.
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Working at the Compton Unified School District has been a great experience. I've had the opportunity to work with different teachers who are always willing to share what they know. I enjoyed training because teachers and aides completed the training from LAUP together which I believe it's important because regardless of being classified or certificated the interaction with the children should always be outstanding.
Cons
Short working hours offered
Pleasure to be an integral part in a person's life.
I .A Sub/Healthcare CNA/LVN qualified. (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAMarch 13, 2017
I enjoy working with the staff and the student's ,helping keep children safe and academically ready, Participating in different school enrichment's and being able to perform as a healthcare provider ,to keep my mind steady and never loose focus of nursing topic .
Pros
Substitute position for more than 1 year.
Cons
Have to be patient to wait for permanent position .
Compton Unified School District is great place to live and work
Full Time Contract Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAMarch 20, 2017
Compton Unified School District is a great place to teach. The students and staff are great. The district supports their teachers at all times, and the resources for staff and students are magnificent. I love working for CUSD.
Pros
regular bell schedule
Cons
30 minutes lunch break
Negative environment. Too political and not fun place to work. Environment is full of micro managers. Very controlling environment. High turnover.
Administrator, Educational Services (Current Employee) –  Compton, CASeptember 14, 2015
Very political environment. Not a great deal of opportunity for advancement unless you are connected to the inner circle.

Very stressful environment with no opportunity for really being allowed to do your job without politics, retaliation or micro management of higher level administrators.

Not a fun place to work.
Pros
Cons
Benefits. Premiums continue to climb.
Strenuous work place
Instructional Assistant Substitute (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 12, 2017
I'm very patient and devoted when it comes to working. I'm a great problem and task solver in the work place. I always come in with a positive attitude, open mind and compassion for others.
Cool Expierence
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 19, 2017
This is a very cool company to start off, a child care aid is a very fun position you get to meet kids and teach them, and have one of the first impacts on their future.
Challenging place to work.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAOctober 11, 2016
A good place to do community policing due to the challenging culture . Providing a safe environment for the children to learn without being in fear or becoming a victim of violence.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Health care
Wonderful work environment, great staff, high morale
Demo English Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJuly 17, 2016
great room for advancement with hard work and enthusiasm, I worked with 8 schools, middle level, and had no problems with the staff on any campus.

Professional developments were exciting and well-received. I learned as much from them as I hope they learned from me.
Great place for long term employment
Buyer - Purchasing Department (Former Employee) –  Compton, CADecember 13, 2012
Work atmosphere is very relaxed. I was able to move up quickly within the company. The department I worked in was more on auto pilot so it never really mattered who was the manager at any given time. For many years there was a revolving door as far as management is concerned but the departmental crew remained consistent as did the work flow. The hardest part was when a new Director would come in who just did not fit into the atmosphere of the office and most enjoyable part was the relationships and closeness of the staff.
Pros
full benefits
Cons
every year the benefits would reduce
A family-like environment
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJuly 12, 2012
As a substitute teacher, each day was different! I would experience different schools, different grades, different structures each day. I would spend an hour or so on each discipline. I learned the importance of being flexible and able to "go with the flow". I enjoyed being able to meet different principals, administrators and teachers. Since I was on call to different schools within the district, I was able to see how each school was organized and the required materials administered. Although there is freedom in going to different schools, the difficulty comes in the fact that I have to constantly adjust to a new set of rules. I never had the freedom to get into my own routine and master accomplishing set goals.
Pros
variety, independence, networking
Cons
no stability, no longterm connections, no medical benefits
fun work place with nice break room
Special Education and Traditional Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of assisting the teacher I was assigned to help through the day by any means necessary.For example putting work assingments on board,playing with kids taking them to bathroom and lunch.We, were also were responsible for our individual kids with motor difficulties.The hardest part of job was getting all the kids to stay on the same page for the whole school day.The most enjoyable part of the job was helping achild with their reading,math English or history and them thanking you.
Pros
Benefits companionship with co-workers
Cons
to much playing in classroom, not enough teaching
A Good Experience
Special Education Teacher/Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Elementary site, Compton, CA 90221June 2, 2016
Working for Compton Unified School District has been a very rewarding experience. The wonderful teachers and administrators really care about the students they work with. Nothing is more important to the staff then the students at this site. The site that I am at currently, has such a good reputation, students remain here for the entire time and then move on to other schools. They do have choices, but they love this school. I appreciate the opportunity to work at such a great school.
Pros
Staff and administration
Cons
n/a
Great company to work
Accounting Technician/Budgeting Technician (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJuly 28, 2016
Great environment that allows one the abilities and resources to learn about the financial needs, concerns, and understanding of how finances are managed in a school district environment.
Love my teaching job!!!
Site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAMay 19, 2016
I enjoy the life of an educator. Anytime someone's life is impacted because of me I'm ecstatic. I love children and I live to teach. Im a team player I believe that "Team Work makes a Dream Work" and I aspire to follow that in every collaboration I have with teachers and just people in general.
Pros
Parent support and administrators support
Cons
Picking up students late, bad attitude and behavior
Depends on what you're looking for
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJune 10, 2016
It is evident that there are very passionate professionals in this district who are committed to the educational experience of the students. However, the district can improve some of its organization aspects and teacher support.
good
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAApril 10, 2016
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, perform a variety of skilled and semiskilled maintenance and repair on district buildings and equipment,
Also to assist journey-leveled trade personnel
Pros
the workers
Cons
management
great place to work
Facilities/Maintenance Coordinator 00C (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAMay 20, 2016
oversaw the day to day operations of the entire Compton unified school district maintenance and facilities department construction team and staff
Pros
learning environment
Cons
n/a the school district is a wonderful place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at COMPTON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT. Our community is ready to answer.

COMPTON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Reviews by Location