COMPTON UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful staff to work with
School Secretary/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAApril 8, 2016
I love the staff and students. Staff and I have a close relationship which makes it fun and manageable work place. Heavy incoming flow of traffic along with heavy phone traffic. It will be very hard and sad to leave my staff. However, the cost of living in California is too expensive and the benefits are getting to be a big stress level while the pay is still at a stand still
Pros
The staff, the staff functions and activities; the paid holidays and time off needed so I can spend with family
Cons
health care, pay rate, the hiring process and no promotional process. People should be promoted based on their work ethics, experiences, dedication and time given to a workplace/employer instead of testing for a higher position
Jazper pendleton
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAMarch 11, 2016
Aide for facilities and public/private volunteer groups. Assist in operating leagues, tournaments and daily
activities during program hours.
Not a fun place to work
Program leader (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAFebruary 23, 2016
Very low pay. Management is not considerate of employees. After school program, however you are expected to do lesson plans like a teacher. No training for lesson plans.
Pros
It's a job!!
Cons
To many to list
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 25, 2016
I have worked for Compton Unified School District for a couple of years now and I have had the best experience working there. I love working with students from kinder to high school students. It is very rewarding to know that I have made some kind of impact in their lives. I've had some tough days at work when it comes to disciplining students while giving instructions but that has taught me to become a better teacher.
Pros
Off on holidays, winter break, spring break.
Cons
teaching and discipling at the same time is tough.
Taught adult students in the high school subjects lab
Adult Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 19, 2016
The lab consistent of students enrolled in various high school subjects. Subjects included: Social Science, Health Sciences and General Education subjects. Sometimes the lab would become overwhelming when class enrollment exceeded 40 students.
Pros
Large enrollment
Good employer
Clerk Typist III (Current Employee) –  Compton, CASeptember 28, 2015
Focus is on education - making sure that the students receive a quality education from top notch instructors. A great place to learn and grow.
Pros
Winter and Spring break off from work.
Cons
Previous layoffs.
It was an excellent place to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CASeptember 23, 2015
Taught special learning need students core subject;
assessed learning styles and devised teaching methods for their unique learning; wrote
course content designed to each student; created long and short term goals based on
observations and assessments; maintained accurate records of academic performance,
attendance, and social development; graded academic coursework; identified and
assisted in overcoming academic obstacles which hindered development; evaluated
teaching methods; instructed students on life skills; assigned appropriate learning aids,
materials, books, and supplies for the classroom; reviewed and wrote progress reports;
ensured compliance with all Special Education regulations; facilitated student curricular
and extracurricular activities; prepared courses for presentation to student, parents and
colleagues
Pros
Great place to work - location was good
Cons
Negative environment. Too political and not fun place to work. Environment is full of micro managers. Very controlling environment. High turnover.
Administrator, Educational Services (Current Employee) –  Compton, CASeptember 14, 2015
Very political environment. Not a great deal of opportunity for advancement unless you are connected to the inner circle.

Very stressful environment with no opportunity for really being allowed to do your job without politics, retaliation or micro management of higher level administrators.

Not a fun place to work.
Pros
Cons
Benefits. Premiums continue to climb.
Not a CAREER minded position
Maintenance Worker II / Carpentry Shop Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJuly 28, 2015
There is a great need for good leadership at this school district many key decisions are made based upon personal preference rather than skill level and work performance. Many people at this school district have been vastly mislead by the school district and by member appointed "union" too much corruption it needs to be disbanded and state run or broken up to bigger more efficiently run school districts ie. LAUSD LYNWOODUSD etc.
Pros
steady job
Cons
no room for advancement
An educational environment to work
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJune 8, 2015
A day at work is always productive. It is good to answer the student's questions and to help them solve their academic challenges. At the end of the day, having pointed out answers to a group of 25 to 30 students brings a good feeling.
Colleagues are mostly friendly and supportive and quick to answer any question that would help to the substitute work go easier. The hardest part of the job is to ensure a good working relationship with the students and their parents. The most enjoyable part of the job is
to see the sparkle in the children's eyes when they understand something that gave them a challenge before.
Pros
Proximity to where I live
Cons
Difficulty to establish a long term relationship with students
Job security is good
Curriculum Specialist (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAMay 22, 2015
Typical work day involves assisting and training teachers on more effective teaching pedagogy. It also involves designing professional development for teahcers
Pros
Employees
Cons
Lack of progress
Excellent
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAApril 29, 2015
Excellent enviroment for implementing change and new programs. Promoted from teacher to reading specialist after one year of teaching here. Excellent opportunity to grow and learn.
Pros
Open to change
Cons
pay was not competitive
ASES Program Leader
ASES (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAMarch 5, 2015
Alot of work and poor support. They expect you to volunteer to fix your classroom according to your theme, but only pay you 3.5 hours aday
Pros
kids are always a joy
Cons
management is horrible
Productive day at work
High School AVID Tutor (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 3, 2015
A typical day as a tutor in the AVID Program is daily being in contact with children of high school age (9-12 grade). Our main focus is to help the children excel and make it to college having great skills and knowledge to help them succeed as a college student on their own. Usually both you and your co-workers are operating in the same capacity four to seven co-workers in one setting never more. The hardest part of the job is seeing the children leave, but in the same sense it is the best part of the job because they are leaving on to a great future and you had something to do with it.
No stability regarding rules and regulations and not very fair to employees and their needs. Educating the children was not top priority to managemen
Payroll Clerk 3 (Former Employee) –  Compton, CADecember 4, 2014
A typical day at work was mundane, answering phones, assisting employees and non employees with various issues, not very challenging at all. I learned the ins and outs of the district as a whole and how the children are really suffering due to lack of funds or funds actually being used for the children's education.
Management was awful, solely looking out for themselves and not taking under consideration the classified employees needs and well being.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to advance along with not being allowed the opportunity to attend various work shops which i felt the district was not interested in the success of the office staff
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that i did meet and the relationships i built because my being an employee.
It is an exciting and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAOctober 3, 2014
Working with this company there was never a dull moment. I enjoyed helping others.
This is wher it all started 25 years ago and I would not change a thing.
Pre-School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Compton, CASeptember 10, 2014
Twenty-five years ago this is where I realized that teaching was for me.I started out as a aide and from there one the sky was the limit. I was a new mom at the time and this also helped me to develop not only as a teacher but a mom.

I learned never to settle but to always look for self growth and advancement.

Co-workers nice and friendly.
Hardest was leaving
Enjoyable part was getting the best experience a new teacher and experiences that will last forever.
Pros
workshops and conferences for self-improvement
Cons
cenrters closed
Great ATMOSPHERE
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAAugust 13, 2014
Love the after school program-ASES. But unfortunately don't have any good things to say about management!
They place you at other school sites without notice when youve built relationships with the children at another site.Your request for supplies may be denied!!
Over ALL loved working with the children
but if youre looking for supportive management-----Keep job searching
Loved My Site Coordinator
Pros
training is fun
Cons
bad management
I' m rating this company overall with 5 Stars- each aspect is "great"
SecondaryTeacher of English (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAAugust 9, 2014
It' s turning itself from " Good " to " Great" .

More teachers, staff, and administrators are working harder.

Students are getting more motivated.

That truly we can improve the district, and schools if "united we stand". To Sync with every segment of the school is the hardest part of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job is reaping the " Harvest" -Student Success
Pros
free lunch, this supplemental educational services.
Cons
student health plan, environmental problems
Its a fun place to work.
Special ed instructional assistant (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJune 30, 2014
I love working in a diverse setting. Every single day is an adventure and always something very different.