CompuCom Employee Reviews

I could do better, so I did...
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 16, 2015
Writing this review years later so maybe things have changed but I have no clue.

Started off good but ended when I just couldn't take it anymore. I don't really know the details but our help desk went from IT support to full on Customer Service. Massive amount of added work but no additional compensation. At the time they would find any reason possible not to give you a pay increase. I'll leave it at that because I was grateful for the opportunity when I was hired.

Last I heard the office where I worked was closed.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Below average salary
Meeting people at the various stores was very exciting
Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Central New YorkApril 24, 2015
I maintained computers,registers, printers and networks at ten store locations. Also, learned how to troubleshoot network connectivity on fiber network using laser lighting and other various tools. I worked alone and my manager was out of state so I did not converse with him regularly.
Hardest part of the job was that you didn't no what to expect when you arrived at the store. You might be swamped with work or not busy at all. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are meeting with nice people for the most part.
Pros
The free training to get computer certifications
Cons
The pay was a little lower than I expected with the skills that I have.
A day in the life
IT consultant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 13, 2015
Without having specific point of sale knowledge, I was expected to know how to take them apart, and why it wasn't working. While my managers were great people, I was never truly trained for this position. What I did do, was drive some four hours a day, to not know what to to when I got there. The people and resources were great, just made me curious as if they really wanted me succeed.
Pros
Work with great and knowledgeable people. Clients were also very easy to communicate with.
Cons
Had to use own vehicle; which could account for more than four hours of just driving, lack of practical trainingkof real time training, as\\
Out-Going environment, entertaining atmosphere also not fair at the same time.
SUPPORT1/REFRESH COORDINATOR/SCHEDULER (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day at work would be to complete all your tasks such as migration scheduling after doing so you ask your manager for more there would be times its an answer right away there would be other times that it would take 2 hours or longer for her to even get back with me so you have to find work on your own. Most of the time i would take training courses over support or train with someone on level 2 and level 3.
Pros
Flexibility, training opportunities, understanding to a degree.
Cons
favoritism, cliques, management needs some work.
Excellent for those entering the IT industry.
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 12, 2016
The job environment is largely what you would expect in the IT industry, relatively lax, self managed for the most part unless a major project is at hand. They do look after you and should a life event occur such as a birth they are very understanding. The pay is not much of an issue should you have prior experience in the field, however, it did take 6 months after my contractor period expired before advancing into my full time role. With no opportunity to advance.
Pros
Comfortable, Straight forward, and flexible
Cons
Lack of opportunity, work outside scope of role, delayed advancement.
Excellent work environment
Program Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMay 3, 2012
A typical day at work included checking on email, updating the scheduling system that I worked on, verifying information and attending meetings and conference calls with management and co-workers from around the world. Co-workers were amazing and made a very efficient and organized team with time to have fun after hours. Hardest part of the job was keeping busy on Friday's when half the staff had the day off and there was not much going on during the day. Enjoyable part of the job was the constant change and challenge that my work offered. The position I was in was a new one created for this project and I was constantly helping to develop new systems and procedures.
Bid too low and then slam the workers
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTSeptember 23, 2015
Never have money for staff to handle big projects, but always promising the world to clients.

No loyalty to employees, you are on your own and have to fight for every scrap you get.

Important technical and security information reported by staff is ignored by management to save time and money.

There are a lot of great people working in a terrible company, it is too bad.
Pros
It's a living, and a mildly intelligent person will seem as a god in that company
Cons
No raises in 5 years while upper management wins Ipads for his good work, announced to all of the staff over email!
Time well spent
Executive & Hardware Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2014
Overall great learning experience and client environment offered a great place to work. During time spent as hardware technician support staff was helpful in assisting with resolving hardware issues that would occur in the trading division. The only really draw back was the amount of coverage for the number of users required to support but luckily this was not a daily occurrence. In the executive and critical support role this was in a different division (E&P) the number of clients to support was less but the level of expectations was much higher. Overall across both divisions the people were enjoyable to support which made the days pass quickly.
Pros
good people - both support staff and end users
Cons
due to agreements in place unable to accept job offer from client.
Miserable work environment with no chance of promotion...
Certified Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Paulsboro, NJDecember 2, 2014
Nothing exciting. I was working on desktops and laptops then was moved to Scan Coin where I was doing total mechanical work on the machines instead of computer troubleshooting. Management never mentioned cleaning coin machines in the interview. Management doesn't care for employees who have any type of opinion but yet they pride themselves on having an open-door policy and an ear for new ideas. Management will trick you into wanting to work for them and make you feel that you can really climb the corporate latter.
Pros
certifications
Cons
no lunch breaks, warehouse atmosphere with micro-managers
A very hands on job
IT Technician - Contractor (Former Employee) –  FLJanuary 28, 2014
A typical day at work would be go into the Walgreen's store
Late at night and start dismantling the registers to make space
For the new ones, after that we would move to the back office and
Assembling the cabinet to install the servers/firewall and switches.

I learned a lot about servers,firewalls and switches and also about the different types of networks (ring and star).

The hardest part about this job was that most of the stores were set up in the old ring network set up, so the minute one register was disconnected from the network all the registers would go down and affect productivity.

The most enjoyable part of the job was visiting a new city every week.
CompuCom
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2013
I spent 7 years working for CompuCom (initially Getronics / KPN). I was promoted several times and eventually found myself on a contract doing what I enjoy most (Desktop Support). My days were spent doing break / fix, checking machines, and ordering parts to repair both laptop and desktop systems. Handling IMAC requests, reimages, data backup / restores, and certain installations (most notably Bitlocker).

I really enjoyed the freedom that it brought as I was able to communicate with the clients directly and schedule all interactions accordingly. This allowed me to be very productive and this position overall the others I had with the company was the most rewarding.
Positive morale with supportive management
Service Desk Technician for NBC Universal (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 16, 2016
I make and receive calls with the goal of resolving user technical problems. I have learned how to positively interact with management, co-workers and users so I effectively assist our clients issues. The management is encouraging and want you to succeed. My piers are fun and supportive. The most difficult part of my job is gathering information that is unavailable that will aid you in assisting a user. I really enjoy working on Saturdays when our call volume is low.
Pros
time off (PTO, Floating Holidays, Sick days, etc.), Management, Co-Workers, the fact I work with NBC and Universal employees
Cons
the commute to work
Great Idea
Field Dispatch Tech (90 day Contract) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company but the management and planning was helter-skelter at best. Too many time were we left to our own devices with constant issues from the company's we services (WalMart, Target and other retail stores). Unable to get parts to repair equipment due to lack of any foresight on project. Continued to feed us post contract info and relaying that everyone would have a position at projects end then released everyone with no explanation.
Pros
tools
Cons
no foresight or planing with bad communication.
Good experience
n/a (Current Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJuly 27, 2014
Really great place to develop good experience due to the vast amount expertise we are required to learn to perform all job duties. The other team members are very great to work with and create an overall better environment. Upper management seems disconnected with what our team does and the knowledge level that is required to do what we do which has created some issues with being understaffed and unreasonable expectations. There does always seem to be a new project you can be a part of and that creates a lot of lateral job opportunities which can be good for your resume. It has created some decent advancement opportunities if you're looking for more of a project management role.
Unorganized
SERIVCE DESK ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 28, 2015
I've worked for this company for almost 2 years and somehow I've managed to stay a contractor all this time. I was able to move up in position and did very well but once that account left I got knocked back down to entry level. Management does very little in trying to engage their employees. Most of them don't even make eye contact with you. And people in Building A and B don't acknowledge each other as colleagues. Some good people work here though.
Pros
Onsite gym and cafeteria
Cons
No advancement. Empty promises
terrible company
COMPUTER SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  FLORIDAOctober 16, 2012
IF YOU WANT BE A SLAVE GO WORK FOR COMPUCOM ,I DONT KNOW HOW THEY HAVE HOME DEPOT AND TARGET AND WINN DIXIE ,BECAUSE TECHS ARENT EXPERIENCE,THEY JUST SAY LOOK AT MANUAL,SEEN TECHS GO TRY TO FIX SOMETHING THEY BREAK MORE THAN IT WAS,5 YEARS NO RAISES,AT LAST MINUTE WE THOUGHT WE WHERE GETTING A RAISE ENDED UP BEING 15% PAY CUT,MANAGERS ONLY THINK ABOUT THERE JOBS DONT CARE FOR TECHS ,THEY WILL TRY TO BLOW YOU UP,GOOD LUCK WHOEVER WANTS TO WORK HERE.
Cons
treat employees like cr.p
I have learnt and gained a lot from this Job. I enjoyed the work with my team and co-workers.
Field Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Dallas-TXOctober 22, 2015
1. Providing Field Support for all of the retail clients (Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, Home Depot, Target, JC-Penny, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank , Bessemer Trust Bank, and New York Life Insurance , Fidelity, BB&T, Allstate, Microsoft retail, Cigna, Baylor, T-Mobile, HP, AT&T, Verizon, Starbucks Head Office Networking, Chase Bank, Capital One & First Group America.
Pros
Payable lunch and 2 shorts breaks
Cons
affordable detection of the Health Insurance
Too much to do, not enough to do it with
Field Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 28, 2015
Handle a variety of clients to work on different types of equipment for registers to printer, pc's to laptops and servers to routers. All the techs work from home as we don't have a local office so we also are able to cover a wide area. we have a lot of different tools we can use for support our clients and we have a lot of chances for training for certifications which is a requirement so we are pushed to do better. the best part of the job is always learning something new.
Pros
Benifits are pretty good
Cons
No advancement, no raises, work expectation unreasonable
Very Respected Company
Desktop Infrastructure Support (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DEDecember 5, 2013
CompuCom generally hires through staffing agencies like Sullivan & Cogliano. I have benefitted with good opportunities having worked with CompuCom in the past. The company seems well respected in the IT industry and employers often select former CompuCom applicants over others. Most IT professions report difficulty in getting hired by CompuCom as they seldom ever receive a response upon application for posted open positions. (I consider myself a per diem employee)
Pros
very well respected company, good compensation, longer term employment, competent personnel, notable clients
Cons
compucom often hard to reach, hires through staffing agencies, company doesn't respond to most applicants
One Great Company
Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLSeptember 17, 2012
servers. The management at CompuCom was always available to assist with any matters that came up - even at 3am.

On this contract our day started at either 3,4 or 5am and even at that early hour, reaching the helpdesk, supervisor, Project manager, recourse manager or travel was never a problem.

This job required a lot of travel, and CompuCom's in-house travel department made making or changing air, hotel and/or car rental reservations quick and easy.
Pros
great work environment, suppoert of managment staff
Cons
very early start times (ie. 3am to 5am depending on the location and day of service).