Computer Aid Employee Reviews in United States

N/a
Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJuly 22, 2016
Good company to work for. Great work/life balance and flexibility in hours. You are not micro managed and management is respectful.
Review
Senior Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Senior Technical RecruiterJune 29, 2016
Empowered, solid leadership, and career progression. Best part of my job is what I learned from my Co-Workers. My direct manager is so dedicated to her team and our development.
The opportunity is great, but guidelines hurt productivity
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAJune 4, 2016
Computer Aid Technology deserves an award for opening the door to enabling people of all walks of life with an interest in Computer Science and IT to experience what working in an IT environment is like and have all the assistance they need. They also work very hard to ensure that the work experience is also a learning experience, so that the technologies learned enable the employees to have a large pallet of skills and opportunities beyond the scopes experienced in the projects.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is that I am able to learn so many new technologies and skills and in many cases, directly apply them to applications that I never may have been able to work on before. The way the skills are taught make it very easy to pick them up and apply them at a very steady pace.

I also love interacting with the new teams at the client site, as it gives me the opportunity to learn about what the work culture is like in a major facility. This enables us to develop connections with many people on top of our skills, so that we may build ourselves not just technologically, but socially as well.

Unfortunately, being a contracting company, many of the guidelines established can become restrictive when it comes to engaging with the clients. The nature of the work environment makes our physical appearance and the way we speak reported as more important than being with the customer to interact with our team and the client. In a few cases, we were actively pulled away from the client despite being requested to remain and unless we had a chaperone, we were not able to be at
  more... the client site. That severely hurts our ability to serve the customer.

We do not receive any benefits, vacation hours, or overtime even though we are semi-required to work a strict hourly schedule (without compensation if we are forced to work extra due to external issues such as transportation or weather conditions). This means we are required to work without a break. This has an impact on our mental fatigue that can't be addressed due to the nature of the company.
Pros
Enables great learning environment for complex applications, accessable via metro, technologies learned open lots of doors, personal interactions with clients, good location
Cons
strict dress code despite remote location, limited interaction with client, all workers compensation taken out of our own salary, limited flexible hours despite lack of client interaction, forced to drive to work in bad road conditions despite remote location
great managers, great team
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, PAMay 22, 2016
Enjoyed working for CAI. Business team worked hard to find contracts for work. The team members are very friendly and helpful. Very supportive.
Pros
competitive salary, great employers
Cons
Short contracts
Good Company
Senior Business Analyst, Contractor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAOctober 22, 2015
Currently, I working on an Agile Team as a Senior Business Analyst partnering with the Scrum Master to establish the team. Agile is new to the company I'm working with so the Scrum Teams are just being formed. Established all the Ceremonies, Artifacts to run the team in the Agile Scrum Methodology. I spend my day now that the team is working in their 4th Sprint in a 2 week Sprint Period. Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, Daily Stand ups, attending weekly Scrum Masters Gathering Sessions, collaborating with Stakeholders daily, developing User Stories, Use Cases, Acceptance Criteria, System Testing. Sprint Grooming to determine point factor for every story. Working as a Scrum Master in partnership with my co-lead.
Pros
Independance
Cons
no cons good environment
Good place to work for
Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 9, 2015
Place to grow and develop both personally and professionally. Management very supportive for change. Hardest part of the job is salary freezing
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Salary Freeze
It's a Job
IT Business Analyst / SQA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 25, 2015
Computer Aid is an okay company to work for. I was here as a contractor and therefore had no benefits. My typical day changed when the project manager who hired me left the company. I had been doing some project management, improving requirements, setting up processes, directing testing, and ensuring the overall quality of the processes and documents. The new manager had me doing tasks that did not take advantage of my skills. When my contract was up, it was easy for me to move on.
Pros
Work/Life
Cons
Project manager not putting people (not just me) in a position to succeed.
develop and maintain computer systems
programmer analyst (Former Employee) –  variousJuly 17, 2015
review and correct daily problem log,
continue with new computer development.
attend status meetings and action lists
Nice at good place to work
Mainframe Developer / IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJune 10, 2015
We don't get to go out with the team for lunch. They don't remote work which is not very good especially when you're sick. But the people are all friendly and supportive. Management is not.
Cai
Employee (Former Employee) –  HarrisburgMay 27, 2015
CAI is a company that is located in the northeast. They work on many different IT projects and continue to grow in the IT work place.
Work Life
Customer service Representative/New Hire Mentor (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEApril 22, 2015
On a typical day, I am taking inbound calls from customers regarding the GRE (Graduate Record Examination). Some students need to have their passwords reset, some need general information, some don't agree with the policy and want us to change it or just want to vent. Along with knowing product knowledge and getting evaluated daily, I am also apart of the support staff. I have trained training classes, once the classes were over I have conducted mock calls, as well as side by side to ensure our vendor the new hires were ready to perform to the best of their ability. The hardest part of the job for me is when, a student has a death in there family and they are registered for the test and are outside of the four day reschedule window. Unless it is their mother, father, sister, brother or parent in laws we cannot provide them with the exceptions policy and the customer gets stuck paying $195 all over again just to take the exam. I really love and enjoy helping people and making people happy, also learning more and assisting with the growth of the company.
Pros
Helping people and making people happy, growing with the company.
Cons
Very under paid
Stressful/Laid back environment
CSR/Client Support (Current Employee) –  NewarkApril 15, 2015
This position is not for everyone, can be overwhelming and stressful, it takes the right type of human being to handle the phone calls that come through. But once you get the hang of it, you just have to be able to comprehend that different types of callers that you come in contact with and the attitudes that you endure as well. But overall the it's very resourceful and great work experience
Pros
Knowledge Team Leads
Cons
No breaks and the phone system decides how you get paid, which is a rip-off
A great place to work.
Contract Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, PAMarch 24, 2015
I was provided a team of subject matter experts to help configure a new version of their ERP solution. The work was budgeted for 1 year and ran over about 4 months. Each SME was given specific training and authority making the implementation successful. When the project ended, my contract with them also stopped. I applied for work at the company, however they were facing difficult financial contraints and couldn't keep me on.
Pros
Nice people, intelligent planning group
Cons
Competitive challenges
Great Management
Oracle Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Canonsburg, PAMarch 5, 2015
I enjoyed working my first entry level position here, The management is always helpful and wants to see you succeed and further your career.
Pros
lunch pizza parties to celebrate quotos being met
Cons
i would like to see more dentist coverage and healthcare coverage
Computer Aid
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Trumbull, CTFebruary 25, 2015
CAI is a global IT services firm that is currently managing active engagements with over 100 Fortune 1000 companies and government agencies around the world. Specific CAI offerings include balanced outsourcing solutions, APPLICATION SUPPORT, APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT , APPLICATION KNOWLEDGE CAPTURE, and MANAGED STAFFING SERVICES. Our ability to provide on-time and on-budget results has been critical to our success for over 29 years, and our unique methodologies and tools enable us to provide our clients with real techniques for increasing productivity, profitability, and competitiveness.
Pros
good company to work for
Cons
lack of presence and opportunities in the greater new york area
Excellent company.
Applications Programmer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 16, 2015
Have worked for CAI twice on year-long contracts. Management easy to work with and pay was good. Always worked near my home but they have a lot of opportunities if willing to travel/relocate.
Great place to work with great people
Web Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Lehigh Valley, PAFebruary 8, 2015
The company culture is great and the people are very friendly. There is a good solid management strucutre in place which helps project run smoothly. I learned a lot about different web development frameworks and techniques.
Good place to get your feet wet. Don't expect them to move you up.
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 30, 2015
Computer Aid, Inc (CAI) is a good place to get your feet wet straight out of college. They have a structured new-hire process that takes several weeks and gives you a good feel for what you'll end up doing for their clients. While some make it through the new-hire process, they quickly learn that the company has a very flat hierarchy, so don't expect career advancement in a short time period. CAI does have many, many clients, so there is always work available if your contract falls through for whatever reason and once you're hired into the company, they're good with putting you on the "bench" until they can find somewhere to make you billable again. There is a fairly high hire rate lately as well. The company is good at keeping their developers on newer hardware as well. Usually you're laptop (yes, you can take it home and work remotely) is at most 4-5 years old before the company refreshes your rig. One thing that I do find extremely annoying and don't really fully understand why CAI does it beyond the possibility of being greedy and giving the money to upper management or company budgets, is their "profit sharing" structure for their 401k. Every year we hear how great the company did at our annual christmas party, but very rarely do you ever see any portion of that profit actually shared with you (the developer) in your 401k. If you're looking to have someone/your employer help you retire at any specific time, CAI isn't for you. Other than the retirement situation and a "competitive" pay rate (meaning they pay you slightly less than industry average for the area), the company  more... is a pretty nice place to work.  less
Pros
great work-life balance, good healthcare/dental/vision for single employees, decent work atmosphere
Cons
poor 401k profit sharing structure, salary can tend to be on the lower side of average
Good Atmosphere
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJanuary 26, 2015
CAI was a great company and great group of people to work with.
Great Place to Start, Depending on your Project
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 15, 2015
Starting as an intern at Computer Aid was a great. The training course was great, and provided a good insight to the skills for the job. I worked closely with a Senior Developer and was directly working with internal project, as well as clients after showing competency. This was a great learning experience.

The problem is once one gets placed on a project. Projects differ wildly, as does the work, conditions and environment.

After being moved to a new project, the job did very little development, and was all about paper work and procedure. Conditions went down hill. Environment went down hill.

Many co-workers are subcontractors. Most subcontractors are paid more and receive better benefits than actual CAI employees. Co-workers were friendly and easy to work with despite not being direct CAI employees. Project Leads and Senior Developers were very good.

Management varied depending on location, but were generally good.

Overall it was a good starting experience, but has little room to advance.

Project specific:
This current project has a very high turn over rate, and management will fire employees for little to no reason. It makes security feel very low.