Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews

Faculty was enjoyable to work with
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 7, 2016
CSI prepares untraditional students for traditional jobs. Broad student base from all walks of life. Most programs are 8 months long. Each faculty member would teach "modules" involving different subjects.

Most enjoyable - teaching students a new subject and preparing them for it.

Least enjoyable - many students not motivated to learn. Some students were there simply to be able to avoid looking for a job and collected unemployment while attending class.
Pros
good curriulum, texts, additional teaching aids
Cons
unmotivated students, uncaring upper management
poor management
High School Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 25, 2016
management was not as productive

co workers were willing to help others if needed

Enjoyed the face to face interaction with prospective students
learned a lot from this company
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILAugust 9, 2016
Fun place to work ,grow and explore my talents. Staffs were very supportive and helpful.
My most enjoyable part of the job was teaching and interacting with the students.
I enjoyed each and every moment here .
Very enjoyable atmosphere alongside co-workers
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2016
I enjoy what I do with my everyday students. I enjoy teaching others how to become proper and professional Medical Assistants. When taking my students to the clinical lab, it is like a breath of fresh air. My students minds are ready to learn and they enjoy the experience that I have to offer. They adhere to my directions whether its learning how to properly perform venipuncture, injections or performing an EKG.
Pros
Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Shool is being closed.
Productive and very fun atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2016
Working downtown at Computer Systems Institute (CSI) was a very fun experience. The bosses and workers are very helpful and understanding. A typical day at work for me was making and answering phone calls, filing and organizing documents, checking inventory, and setting up and supervising events. I learned greater communication and customer service skills. The most enjoyable part was the very comfortable atmosphere they have.
Pros
Fun coworkers, understanding people
Cons
short breaks
Interesting Independent Work helping others
Adjunct Instructor - QuickBooks (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 18, 2016
I am enjoying my experience working at Computer Systems Institute because with my work I can help students new to the US gain skills needed to succeed.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Late Hours
Great work environment
Campus President (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2016
Great place to work. This school allows you to be independent and creative with better options in which to help student.
loved working for CSI
Adjunct Medical Coding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 18, 2016
Love teaching students how to proficiently code for CPT and ICD10. I have formed lesson plans for the students as well as class activities. We assure that the students walk away from the school with a CCA Certification, as well as a CBCS. I loved working for CSI
Talented Management and Colleagues at the Gurnee Campus
Instructor, Networking/Business Career Program (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 8, 2016
The hardest part of my job is feeling that management does not seem to value the instructors as the front-line/primary contact with their customers, the students.

I learned so very much from my work here on two committees: one for employee experience and one for a proposed mentorship project. Unfortunately, these came late in my 5+ year time with this company.

My Academic Dean and Campus President were essential as role models and mentors for getting through difficult times, for example ACICS accreditation. I have met many talented people here as both full and part-time faculty.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students attain Microsoft Office and/or A+ certifications and then see them go on to secure successful employment through our Career Development Department. Getting our students to a better situation in life is what made all the effort worthwhile.
Pros
CSI paid for certifications to keep current, occasionally held bootcamps
Cons
Part-time faculty had no benefits and few advancement opportunities
Fun Place To Work
Technical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 4, 2016
I find Computer Systems Institute a very loyal school t their students. CSI was always working toward the current trends of IT to provide the best education for their students.
Pros
Great Place To Work
Cons

Want to know more about Computer Systems Institute?

Ask a question
Enjoyable position which allowed me to better understand people and where they come from.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2015
This position was an interesting experience which allowed me to improve my people skills by taking on the challenge of teaching an English as Second Language (ESL) course.
Productive busy overstaffed office
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 10, 2015
My typical day included heavy phone contact with customers regarding their account payments, setting up payments and calculating early payoffs and advising about accounts. I worked as a team with other co-workers from other parts of the office if they needed payments drafted or payoff calculations. Advised if contact was made with a customer so they can follow-up and visa versa. Hardest part was learning to do payoff calculations. Most enjoyable was when customers called to pay off their accounts that took my numbers down.
Pros
Birthday lunches, Christmas bonuses and appreciation days
Cons
No cons
fun place
Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
great place to learn new stuff, methods in different areas, how to be proactive person, very open mind to a lot of cultures around the wold
too much micromanaging occurring by people with inadequate backgrounds
MEDICAL ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2015
you give up any chance for a personal life. they will attempt to dominate your life while employed there.compensation was adequate but management was unbearable
Pros
you can have a real effect on the student population
Cons
too much managerial interference
Lead Instructor - Healthcare Career Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
CSI is a great place to work especially for individuals that are interested in advancement. This is a family owned business and employees are treated like members of the family.
Pros
Paid vacation, profit sharing, 401K plan
Cons
Split shifts
Great opportunities
Director of Studies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
CSI promotes from within and strives to offer quality education to its students. CSI's management goals align closely with its mission. It is a great place to gain experience.
ESL Academy ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 21, 2015
Low pay around 20 an hour and must hold M.A. in teaching. Typical day at work was teaching ESL students for 5 hour blocks with very little material. You are given a course outline and prep your own lessons. They only give you 1 hour of paid prep time per week with two 5 hour lessons for each class. Students are solely there to get their F1 status validated. It is a visa mill and they pass students to keep them since it brings down their 90/10 with people paying cash. They even have programs like Microsoft Office and students are allowed to go get a job whereas any other school an F1 visa holder would not be able to. How does driving a cab equate to learning Microsoft Office or working in a Thai restaurant? I quite because the pay was low, no benefits and they expected me to take time off of my full time job (hiring me knowing I worked downtown full time) for faculty enrichment sessions.
The last straw is when they fired a colleague of mine for taking bereavement leave when her uncle died whom she was very close to. They didn't even tell her and when she came back in from leave they had already found a replacement for her. Sick and appalling management with no experience. I would not recommend teaching there or working there. I know admissions only gets paid mid thirties to low 40s in the city meanwhile most admissions positions in the city pay 50 plus with fringe benefits.
Pros
meeting people from other countries
Cons
low pay, at will, will let you go for any reason, no benefits
csi
Medical Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 7, 2015
I wish that the job would have been long term. this job let me know that the medical field was for me and not as a medical assistaint.
I like it here
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2015
Could use better immediate management. Delegators don't work well with professionals. Things are always changing and requirements of instructors is shifted everyday.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, culture politics, arbitrary terminations
Can be a stressful environment when meeting deadlines.
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 9, 2015
Computer Systems Institute is overrated in job assistance and limited on particular courses that they provide in computer technology.
Pros
Financial Aid Assistance
Cons
High employee turnaround.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Computer Systems Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

Computer Systems Institute Reviews by Location