Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Talented Management and Colleagues at the Gurnee Campus
Instructor, Networking/Business Career Program (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 8, 2016
The hardest part of my job is feeling that management does not seem to value the instructors as the front-line/primary contact with their customers, the students.

I learned so very much from my work here on two committees: one for employee experience and one for a proposed mentorship project. Unfortunately, these came late in my 5+ year time with this company.

My Academic Dean and Campus President were essential as role models and mentors for getting through difficult times, for example ACICS accreditation. I have met many talented people here as both full and part-time faculty.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students attain Microsoft Office and/or A+ certifications and then see them go on to secure successful employment through our Career Development Department. Getting our students to a better situation in life is what made all the effort worthwhile.
Pros
CSI paid for certifications to keep current, occasionally held bootcamps
Cons
Part-time faculty had no benefits and few advancement opportunities
too much micromanaging occurring by people with inadequate backgrounds
MEDICAL ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2015
you give up any chance for a personal life. they will attempt to dominate your life while employed there.compensation was adequate but management was unbearable
Pros
you can have a real effect on the student population
Cons
too much managerial interference
Productive and very fun atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2016
Working downtown at Computer Systems Institute (CSI) was a very fun experience. The bosses and workers are very helpful and understanding. A typical day at work for me was making and answering phone calls, filing and organizing documents, checking inventory, and setting up and supervising events. I learned greater communication and customer service skills. The most enjoyable part was the very comfortable atmosphere they have.
Pros
Fun coworkers, understanding people
Cons
short breaks
Lead Instructor - Healthcare Career Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
CSI is a great place to work especially for individuals that are interested in advancement. This is a family owned business and employees are treated like members of the family.
Pros
Paid vacation, profit sharing, 401K plan
Cons
Split shifts
ESL Academy ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 21, 2015
Low pay around 20 an hour and must hold M.A. in teaching. Typical day at work was teaching ESL students for 5 hour blocks with very little material. You are given a course outline and prep your own lessons. They only give you 1 hour of paid prep time per week with two 5 hour lessons for each class. Students are solely there to get their F1 status validated. It is a visa mill and they pass students to keep them since it brings down their 90/10 with people paying cash. They even have programs like Microsoft Office and students are allowed to go get a job whereas any other school an F1 visa holder would not be able to. How does driving a cab equate to learning Microsoft Office or working in a Thai restaurant? I quite because the pay was low, no benefits and they expected me to take time off of my full time job (hiring me knowing I worked downtown full time) for faculty enrichment sessions.
The last straw is when they fired a colleague of mine for taking bereavement leave when her uncle died whom she was very close to. They didn't even tell her and when she came back in from leave they had already found a replacement for her. Sick and appalling management with no experience. I would not recommend teaching there or working there. I know admissions only gets paid mid thirties to low 40s in the city meanwhile most admissions positions in the city pay 50 plus with fringe benefits.
Pros
meeting people from other countries
Cons
low pay, at will, will let you go for any reason, no benefits
Interesting Independent Work helping others
Adjunct Instructor - QuickBooks (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 18, 2016
I am enjoying my experience working at Computer Systems Institute because with my work I can help students new to the US gain skills needed to succeed.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Late Hours
loved working for CSI
Adjunct Medical Coding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 18, 2016
Love teaching students how to proficiently code for CPT and ICD10. I have formed lesson plans for the students as well as class activities. We assure that the students walk away from the school with a CCA Certification, as well as a CBCS. I loved working for CSI
I like it here
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2015
Could use better immediate management. Delegators don't work well with professionals. Things are always changing and requirements of instructors is shifted everyday.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, culture politics, arbitrary terminations
Productive busy overstaffed office
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 10, 2015
My typical day included heavy phone contact with customers regarding their account payments, setting up payments and calculating early payoffs and advising about accounts. I worked as a team with other co-workers from other parts of the office if they needed payments drafted or payoff calculations. Advised if contact was made with a customer so they can follow-up and visa versa. Hardest part was learning to do payoff calculations. Most enjoyable was when customers called to pay off their accounts that took my numbers down.
Pros
Birthday lunches, Christmas bonuses and appreciation days
Cons
No cons
Part-time clincial instructor
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gurnee ILDecember 3, 2012
I teach evening clincial's to both medical assistant students and medical billers. The majority of my lectures include: anatomy and physiology, phlebotomy, basic and advanced clinical practice, fundamentals of medical billing/coding, customer service and medical law and ethics. Per module I will have 2-3 classes, with 5-20 students in each class. Our objective is to progressively move the students through their discipline's course work and practicals, all while preparing them to take their boards and other certifications.
The staff at CSI is wonderful; a group of clinical, technical and business professionals. Everyone of them comes form an original background, and each of them care for their students. The hardest part of my job is knowing the lack of potential advancement, compensation and distance. The most enjoyable part of my job is positively influencing my students and helping to mold their successful futures in medicine.
Pros
flexiable
Cons
no benifits, no advancement
Fun Place To Work
Technical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 4, 2016
I find Computer Systems Institute a very loyal school t their students. CSI was always working toward the current trends of IT to provide the best education for their students.
Pros
Great Place To Work
Great work environment
Campus President (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2016
Great place to work. This school allows you to be independent and creative with better options in which to help student.
Enjoyable position which allowed me to better understand people and where they come from.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2015
This position was an interesting experience which allowed me to improve my people skills by taking on the challenge of teaching an English as Second Language (ESL) course.
Nice position to work as a team with Admissions process
Admissions Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILJuly 23, 2013
Reporting, Monitoring lead flow, delegating projects, training others that I oversee. Work closely with key dept. to process effectively. Hardest part of the job is all the process that are put in place are short cut or ignored by few that ruins it for many. The most enjoyable part of my work is the rewards knowing what I don will change prospects futures and the accomplishments I achieve daily.
Pros
employee package with healthcare, 401k, profit sharing
Cons
hr, lack of communication between departments
Education
INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2014
I enjoy working with the students, however our managment needs to improve.
Pros
salary and students
Cons
management opportunities
fun place
Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
great place to learn new stuff, methods in different areas, how to be proactive person, very open mind to a lot of cultures around the wold
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 27, 2015
It's enriching to help other people lives. Do your job and they will work with you. There seems to be little room for growth being that everyone in leadership has been there for years. I love it and I hate to leave to explore other opportunities for leadership. They give you a paid off day for your birthday too.
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
For me its the distance from Chicago to Gurnee
Great opportunities
Director of Studies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
CSI promotes from within and strives to offer quality education to its students. CSI's management goals align closely with its mission. It is a great place to gain experience.
Interractive
Campus Ambassador for International Students (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
My duties used to be various at the very beginning but then it slowed down. I learned mostly by myself clerk/administration stuff as customer service too working with international student everyday. My coworkers were the greatest and hardworking people I have ever met.
The best thing working here is that I learned and interact with some many cultures and people from all over the world who became my friends.
A great environment with humble individuals
Clerical Assistant/Work Study (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day at work would involve customer service, keeping files in order and workplace cleanliness. I learned how to work under pressure, how to create IDs and how to respond to angry and irritable customers. The management was great, I followed instructions and completed tasks throughout the day as asked. The hardest part of the job was being let go because I wanted to continue my experience and broaden my knowledge of the workplace better. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and participating in interacting with other co-workers.
Pros
clean, friendly, humble
Cons
not enough time spent

Computer Systems Institute Reviews by Location