Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews

Enjoyable position which allowed me to better understand people and where they come from.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2015
This position was an interesting experience which allowed me to improve my people skills by taking on the challenge of teaching an English as Second Language (ESL) course.
Productive busy overstaffed office
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILNovember 10, 2015
My typical day included heavy phone contact with customers regarding their account payments, setting up payments and calculating early payoffs and advising about accounts. I worked as a team with other co-workers from other parts of the office if they needed payments drafted or payoff calculations. Advised if contact was made with a customer so they can follow-up and visa versa. Hardest part was learning to do payoff calculations. Most enjoyable was when customers called to pay off their accounts that took my numbers down.
Pros
Birthday lunches, Christmas bonuses and appreciation days
Cons
No cons
fun place
Campus Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
great place to learn new stuff, methods in different areas, how to be proactive person, very open mind to a lot of cultures around the wold
too much micromanaging occurring by people with inadequate backgrounds
MEDICAL ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 14, 2015
you give up any chance for a personal life. they will attempt to dominate your life while employed there.compensation was adequate but management was unbearable
Pros
you can have a real effect on the student population
Cons
too much managerial interference
Lead Instructor - Healthcare Career Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 28, 2015
CSI is a great place to work especially for individuals that are interested in advancement. This is a family owned business and employees are treated like members of the family.
Pros
Paid vacation, profit sharing, 401K plan
Cons
Split shifts
Great opportunities
Director of Studies (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2015
CSI promotes from within and strives to offer quality education to its students. CSI's management goals align closely with its mission. It is a great place to gain experience.
ESL Academy ESL Instructor
ESL Instructor (Former Employee) –  ChicagoMay 21, 2015
Low pay around 20 an hour and must hold M.A. in teaching. Typical day at work was teaching ESL students for 5 hour blocks with very little material. You are given a course outline and prep your own lessons. They only give you 1 hour of paid prep time per week with two 5 hour lessons for each class. Students are solely there to get their F1 status validated. It is a visa mill and they pass students to keep them since it brings down their 90/10 with people paying cash. They even have programs like Microsoft Office and students are allowed to go get a job whereas any other school an F1 visa holder would not be able to. How does driving a cab equate to learning Microsoft Office or working in a Thai restaurant? I quite because the pay was low, no benefits and they expected me to take time off of my full time job (hiring me knowing I worked downtown full time) for faculty enrichment sessions.
The last straw is when they fired a colleague of mine for taking bereavement leave when her uncle died whom she was very close to. They didn't even tell her and when she came back in from leave they had already found a replacement for her. Sick and appalling management with no experience. I would not recommend teaching there or working there. I know admissions only gets paid mid thirties to low 40s in the city meanwhile most admissions positions in the city pay 50 plus with fringe benefits.
Pros
meeting people from other countries
Cons
low pay, at will, will let you go for any reason, no benefits
csi
Medical Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILMay 7, 2015
I wish that the job would have been long term. this job let me know that the medical field was for me and not as a medical assistaint.
I like it here
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2015
Could use better immediate management. Delegators don't work well with professionals. Things are always changing and requirements of instructors is shifted everyday.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Management, culture politics, arbitrary terminations
Can be a stressful environment when meeting deadlines.
Inquiry Response Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 9, 2015
Computer Systems Institute is overrated in job assistance and limited on particular courses that they provide in computer technology.
Pros
Financial Aid Assistance
Cons
High employee turnaround.
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILMarch 27, 2015
It's enriching to help other people lives. Do your job and they will work with you. There seems to be little room for growth being that everyone in leadership has been there for years. I love it and I hate to leave to explore other opportunities for leadership. They give you a paid off day for your birthday too.
Pros
No micromanagement
Cons
For me its the distance from Chicago to Gurnee
Interractive
Campus Ambassador for International Students (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2015
My duties used to be various at the very beginning but then it slowed down. I learned mostly by myself clerk/administration stuff as customer service too working with international student everyday. My coworkers were the greatest and hardworking people I have ever met.
The best thing working here is that I learned and interact with some many cultures and people from all over the world who became my friends.
An open and honest workplace. Very encouraging.
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 22, 2015
Working with the manager of my department was the most rewarding part of my job. Outstanding leadership. It was a fun job, working in admissions, because you got the chance to change students lives..
Nice work place with really nice co-workers
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester - MAJanuary 1, 2015
I learned a lot, even being for a short time there.
Stayed at the front desk and also assist the students and the teachers with translating some documents ou during classes.
Pros
good environment
Good Company to work for
Faculty Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILDecember 8, 2014
Excellent nothing else to say; They really take care of their employees.

I've had nothing less that a good experience working for them.
Was a good school.
Microsoft Technology Associate (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILOctober 17, 2014
Could use a little more organization to keep people on track.
Pros
small classes so you can get alot of one on one withthe teacher
A great environment with humble individuals
Clerical Assistant/Work Study (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 20, 2014
A typical day at work would involve customer service, keeping files in order and workplace cleanliness. I learned how to work under pressure, how to create IDs and how to respond to angry and irritable customers. The management was great, I followed instructions and completed tasks throughout the day as asked. The hardest part of the job was being let go because I wanted to continue my experience and broaden my knowledge of the workplace better. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and participating in interacting with other co-workers.
Pros
clean, friendly, humble
Cons
not enough time spent
Well rounded institution
Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 18, 2014
A typical day at work would include me answering and making outgoing phone calls, directing students to proper departments throughout the campus, creating bulletin boards for campus events, keeping office order and cleanliness, and also running errands to various parts of the campus. I learned how to make picture IDs, how to remain calm when a customer or student is upset, I also learned how to use various programs on the school computer. My co-workers were easy to get along with. They were calm, welcoming and very generous. The hardest part of of the job was knowing that it was only for a short period of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning new things as I went along.
Pros
great location, nice individuals, and learning new things
Cons
not spending more time
Great Student interaction; Opportunity to be effective in Student Growth
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of being an instructor at CSI was the opportunity to impact students who needed direction in life. The program and curriculum for their orientation class was appropriate and exciting to teach. The co-workers were dedicated to making sure students understood the discipline in which they were interested. The management had trouble placing students in jobs because the balance between retention and learning accountability was tilted toward retention. Too often students were unprepared to complete the program because they could not pass certification requirements. As adults there needed to be a higher bar and more benchmarks to make sure students were prepared for the workforce.
Pros
great co-workers; very helpful; shared freely anything needed
Cons
management was too friendly with students and accountability was not effective because of this
Interesting Workplace
Career Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2014
It was fun working here. The faculty is friendly and willing to help. There isn't much room for advancement.