Computer Systems Institute Employee Reviews

Coding and Billing Instructor
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILNovember 6, 2017
This was a great instructor position, until they went out of business and all the employees lost their jobs and students were not lacking their certifications.
Pros
Great for career change
Cons
went out of business
Great people to work with not so great pay/hours and no benefits
Certified Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILOctober 27, 2017
Worked there for over five years and had not benefits or holiday pay or vacation/sick time. Had to request time and time again for reviews and raises. Took a very long time to get competitive salary.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
No benefits and cut hours
More drama than a Khardashian season
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAOctober 23, 2017
I am not one for drama and although every office has its drama, this place is too full of it.
This is a culture of drama and backstabbing here.
The management is not good at all and human resources department is really lacking in morals.
This is like working in a playpen filled with toddlers and egg shells and you best not step on an eggshell.
As much as I enjoy some of my colleagues and the students I work with.
It's just become a very hostile working environment and it's no good for me at this time.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Management, Human Resources, Drama, Backstabbing, Hostile Environment
Worked for school funds
Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILSeptember 13, 2017
There was not much to do as a student but the people were great. There were things I learned with office management which was interesting and helped me with jobs after finishing time with CSI.
Treated like slave
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gurnee, ILAugust 23, 2017
Acted like I was a child and treated me as such. Kept me in a back office for hours at a time and all they had me do was make new student packets, and they lied about everything.
Pros
good pay
Cons
treated bad
Conputer Systems Ins
Senior Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2017
This was a contract position for 8 months. Instruction in N+ A+ Networking, intro to project management. All my students passed all certifications with highest marks school had posted in passed.
Pros
Training and offering problem soloving.
Great management team
STUDENT ACCOUNTS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILJune 12, 2017
Working with students, management was always willing to help assist if needed, very supportive, and always willing to help you grow. Everyone worked as a team, working for one goal, the benefit of the student. No matter what department you worked in everyone came together as a school as it should be. Nothing was above anyone, and everyone was always willing to assist to ensure our students were taken care of properly.
Pros
1 hour lunch, support
Cons
work a holic company
Great colleagues, fairly well organized
employee (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILMay 29, 2017
This is a visa-granting school for international students. This isn't necessarily a terrible thing, and the teachers and staff do offer good service. Students run the gamut from motivated ones with a reason to learn, to those who are barely there at all. There's been turmoil lately; their accreditor lost its standing with the US Dept of Education, and so due to immigration law CSI can no longer offer visas for students in ESL courses. As a result, they have switched all their students over to business curricula, which can offer visas without an accreditation requirement.
Pros
Dedicated staff and colleagues
Cons
Low compensation
CSI: ESL for profit
ESL instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 4, 2017
CSI makes it easy to teach an 8 hour class. The assignments and lessons have been previously selected for you. They do pay you for prep time, but the prep time could be use to review the materials that you will be teaching or to grade work students have previously submitted. If you are consistent and reliable you will most likely be praised for your job. But as an instructor there isn't much opportunity for full time work or benefits. I think the students are great and the other workers are very friendly and willing to help.
Pros
Lessons are already prepared
Cons
no full time opportunity
Management and Policy is always in flux
Adjunct ESL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Charlestown, MAApril 1, 2017
I do love my students, but working with the management has been always a challenge. The school is run from Chicago, so there tends to be a lot of communication and technical problems. This creates a very stressful situation, so the staff is always in flux.
A veteran teacher told me this was the most chaotic school he has ever taught at. I thought it was me.
Like I said, I 'll do anything to help my students. They have enough to worry about without confusion, delay, and policy reversals from the school. It really is a disservice to them. The teachers I know go above and beyond to help their students, despite the flaws of management.
Multicultural enviroment
International Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2016
The school provides great programs for international students. Everyday I was meeting new people from all over the world. I met wonderful human beings and was able to see their progress. Most of my co-workers were also amazing. The most difficult part of my job was to deal with disappointed students. The most rewarding part was helping students to achieve their goals.
Pros
free Tuesday soup, my own office, co-workers
Cons
ending job at 6 or 7 pm, salary
Faculty was enjoyable to work with
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 7, 2016
CSI prepares untraditional students for traditional jobs. Broad student base from all walks of life. Most programs are 8 months long. Each faculty member would teach "modules" involving different subjects.

Most enjoyable - teaching students a new subject and preparing them for it.

Least enjoyable - many students not motivated to learn. Some students were there simply to be able to avoid looking for a job and collected unemployment while attending class.
Pros
good curriulum, texts, additional teaching aids
Cons
unmotivated students, uncaring upper management
poor management
High School Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILOctober 25, 2016
management was not as productive

co workers were willing to help others if needed

Enjoyed the face to face interaction with prospective students
learned a lot from this company
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILAugust 9, 2016
Fun place to work ,grow and explore my talents. Staffs were very supportive and helpful.
My most enjoyable part of the job was teaching and interacting with the students.
I enjoyed each and every moment here .
Very enjoyable atmosphere alongside co-workers
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2016
I enjoy what I do with my everyday students. I enjoy teaching others how to become proper and professional Medical Assistants. When taking my students to the clinical lab, it is like a breath of fresh air. My students minds are ready to learn and they enjoy the experience that I have to offer. They adhere to my directions whether its learning how to properly perform venipuncture, injections or performing an EKG.
Pros
Positive atmosphere.
Cons
Shool is being closed.
Productive and very fun atmosphere
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 9, 2016
Working downtown at Computer Systems Institute (CSI) was a very fun experience. The bosses and workers are very helpful and understanding. A typical day at work for me was making and answering phone calls, filing and organizing documents, checking inventory, and setting up and supervising events. I learned greater communication and customer service skills. The most enjoyable part was the very comfortable atmosphere they have.
Pros
Fun coworkers, understanding people
Cons
short breaks
Interesting Independent Work helping others
Adjunct Instructor - QuickBooks (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 18, 2016
I am enjoying my experience working at Computer Systems Institute because with my work I can help students new to the US gain skills needed to succeed.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Late Hours
Great work environment
Campus President (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2016
Great place to work. This school allows you to be independent and creative with better options in which to help student.
loved working for CSI
Adjunct Medical Coding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Elgin, ILFebruary 18, 2016
Love teaching students how to proficiently code for CPT and ICD10. I have formed lesson plans for the students as well as class activities. We assure that the students walk away from the school with a CCA Certification, as well as a CBCS. I loved working for CSI
Talented Management and Colleagues at the Gurnee Campus
Instructor, Networking/Business Career Program (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, ILFebruary 8, 2016
The hardest part of my job is feeling that management does not seem to value the instructors as the front-line/primary contact with their customers, the students.

I learned so very much from my work here on two committees: one for employee experience and one for a proposed mentorship project. Unfortunately, these came late in my 5+ year time with this company.

My Academic Dean and Campus President were essential as role models and mentors for getting through difficult times, for example ACICS accreditation. I have met many talented people here as both full and part-time faculty.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students attain Microsoft Office and/or A+ certifications and then see them go on to secure successful employment through our Career Development Department. Getting our students to a better situation in life is what made all the effort worthwhile.
Pros
CSI paid for certifications to keep current, occasionally held bootcamps
Cons
Part-time faculty had no benefits and few advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Computer Systems Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9