Comunilife, Inc.

Comunilife, Inc. Employee Reviews

Learning Experience
Assistant Program Director (Current Employee), Bronx, NYApril 4, 2015
My tenure at Comunilife, Inc. has been a valuable learning experience for me and has positively influenced my career path. I've learned tremendously about the roles of staff in administration, middle management, and line workers. A typical work day includes continuous multitasking and ability to utilize deductive reasoning to enhance sound judgment and decision making skills.
HumanRelations
Counselor (Current Employee), Manhattan, NYDecember 20, 2014
Pros: other staff members are nice to work with
Cons: need better pay rate as well as more staff
My review of this company is that they lack the Human relations aspect. If they were in tune with satff as people and not just think of them as work horses then this agency could do a lot better with the turnover rate. There is not enough staff to cover the available shifts or when someone is on vacation, or calls off. Little to no communication.
Working with clients is rewarding job.
Entitlement Specialist/Counselor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 14, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: salary does not compensate for job duties required
In working with the homeless population that suffers with mental health diagnosis and substance abuse is a challenging and fulfilling experience each day. Hardest part of job is inability to assist clients with housing opportunities and watching clients struggle with relapsing.
Horrible place to work
security guard (Former Employee), Bronx, nyNovember 22, 2014
Pros: working/health condition
Cons: lack of support from management/ no lunch break
As an Security Guard for a few months. I was hired my first day on the job I wanted too quit. The Management was too ghetto, the building was soo dirty, smelling and falling apart. The hours was horrible/ No lunch break. I regret working for a company like this. Never again. You was told one thing then another which wasnt truth. This place is a horrible compamy I've ever worked for in my life. Im a very positive person. This place had alot of negatives environment. Pls dont apply for any position here trust me you will regret it. No future only become very sick working them long hours like a sittig duck.
Not a good place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYMay 18, 2014
Pros: light job
Cons: not structure
I worked in Life is Precious as Case Manager. There is not structure in the program. There is not supervision and opportunity to grow.

Don't apply to this job. You will be very disappointed.
RUN! DO NOT APPLY TO THIS COMPANY!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Brownsville, NYApril 1, 2014
Pros: learning experience
Cons: everything
If you believe for one second your current job situation is bad, any position you take in this company will be worst!

Yes, the company has been around for 25 years due to politics. The company use to be called H.I.R.E. Inc. Do your research if you do not believe me, ask questions to former and current employees, there are somethings one just cannot lie about. The management starting the CEO is needs to CLEAN HOUSE. They do not care about their employees, you are expendable to them and they make it very known through their verbal threats. The turn over rate is outrageous and retention is non-existent because even if someone had agreed to stay for transfer or $1 pay raise you end up resigning again months later. It is simply not worth it. It is the client's who suffer due to the inconsistency of staff and it is a set back on their path to independent healthy living.

The pay sucks, competitive salary is nonsense. Even if they start you off with $30,000 yr, note that will be your salary until you seek employment elsewhere. You are consider "LOW INCOME" it looks good but not when you are trying to build a life for yourself. They do not give merit pay or contribute to 401K unless they have the extra budget for it, which is NEVER. There is no room for growth, if you get a promotion it does not mean your pay changes.

Please understand that I am a current employee, I have worked for the company for about 3 years and I am leaving on my own good terms. After awhile the turn overs get to you and you get a new supervisor, PD or VP who wants to revamp everything only to turn around a resign – more... too. After going through this 5 times in 3 years with no acknowledgement of all the work you put in to help keep the program up float through understaffed pressure, it is time for someone else to do it all. You do not just apply to one position, you are apply to all the vacant positions, you are expected to "pitch in" through their turmoils which never ends! You are not compensated or applauded however, if you chose not to do so then it is used against you. Job security? There is none! Just so you know, you are an AT WILL employee! You can be let go for anything and I mean anything!

The company is ran by females which one would hope this is a GREAT thing, but in this case it is not. They are inconsiderate, unappreciative, inhumane, unethical and unprofessional.

A positive note, you'll love your clients and some of co workers. You'll gain experience in the field if you have none but you also experience everything wrong along the way.

Get in and Get out, if you consider this company. I get it, desperate times and it's hard to find a job. Just milk it until something descent comes along.

Remember, you are interviewing the company too, so ask questions! – less
A place for learning and growing
Coordinator (Current Employee), Bronx, NYMarch 10, 2014
Pros: space for learning
Comunilife has been a great place for me to work. I have learned a lot through the 2 years that I been working here. I have a supervisor that it is very supportive and pleasant to work with.

Time management is a must in the organization, but each month is rewarded by good outcomes.

The most enjoyable part of working at Comunilife is receiving phone calls and emails from people that have used our services and expressed that they are pleasant with our services.
Poor
RECEPTIONIST/SCHEDULE COORDINATOR (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: leaving for the day
Cons: management
A day at Comunilife/Vida Guidance Center was a very hustle environment. The company has very poor management and staff member. I was employed at this company for two years and never received an evaluation and or increase of pay.
Disappointed!!!
Case manager (Former Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 18, 2013
Pros: field work
Cons: no place to eat lunch, lack of organization and consistency
With every job you will have your ups and downs, disappointments, and days that you say "I can't believe your a supervisor." As an administrative employee you will be okay working at this agency but as a case manager/counselor- I suggest you forget it. You will not only do your work but the work of everyone else while your pay is low and their pay is high. The morale is very low and the it's hard to keep an assistant vice president in the agency. The pay is low for the amount of work that you do and approach from administrative staff can be disappointing. It's amazing how the agency continues to grow and they cannot fix the issues within.

It's obvious that the agency became aware of their low reviews and had some employees post positive reviews. I guarantee you if they were to be terminated they would regret the day they posted their positive review!

You'll get your smiles from your clients and from some of your coworkers. They help you get through the day!
Productive and Intersting
Property Management Coordinator (Current Employee), Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2013
Pros: working, health
Cons: lack of compensations; advancements
I process all purchase requisitions (janitorial, furniture, starter kits) for the entire organization, property registration, parking permits, office supplies, vehicle registration and inspection, manage all cell phone list (113 lines), DOB Category 1 inspection for the elevators and wheelchair lift at our facilities; I process metro cards for our programs, gas cards, home depot acct and t-mobile. I also handle the panty and janitorial inventory. I learned a great deal in my position. We have a team of 4 plus our VP of Property and Asset Management. We all work well as a team and independently. There would be good days and some bad days. I learned all aspect of permits, inspections and violation working at Comunilife. I help everyone as much as I can that is not in my department. I am a team player and appreciate some acknowledgement. I enjoy completing my projects and making sure that everything is okay. I do so much in my position and I love what I do but I don't see any advancement in my position after being here 7 years this coming February. I know that I can do more if given the opportunity.
Helping People
Peer Mentor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 21, 2013
Pros: everyday is a chance to change someones life
Cons: short hours and no advancement
I day at Crotona Park Transitional Residence is never the same serving the less fortunate is a challenge that I meet with a positive attitude and a smile. I learned that some people only need someone to believe in them.
My best professional experience to date
Vocational Counselor (Current Employee), Bronx, NYOctober 16, 2013
Pros: supervisors that do not micromanage
Cons: having to work the day after thanksgiving
On 10/23/13 I will mark my one year anniversary working as the Vocational Counselor at Comunilife, Inc. I am very pleased that this organization is dedicated to providing trainings to the employees. I am gratified that I am able to start the first resource room for the organization under the leadership of the Senior Vice President of the organization.

On a typical day, I run workshops, meet with residents individually and speak with my supervisor.

Of course, there could be more money. Who would ever say they wouldn't like to be paid more. I look forward to showing my value to this organization and them rewarding my hard work.

There is a lot of turnover right now, but I am fine with that because it means the organization is getting stronger in my opinion. Those who wish to leave here are justified in their choices.

My co-workers are pleasant people that I think I will maintain relationships with regardless of our working situation.

I love coming to work every day to work with this population. I really enjoy helping my residents follow their dreams, achieve their goals and have hope that they are able to create the future of their dreams.
A Great Place To Work
Director (Current Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 27, 2013
Comunilife does really great work with clients and demands a lot from its employees, but those who are dedicated to the mission know that clients deserve the best care and concern. Compared to many non-profits the salaries are competitive and better than many. The benefits are super, especially health insurance and the pension. Coworkers, except for a few who are disgruntled, are nice, hardworking and supportive.

All totaled, I would rather work at Comunilife than any place else.
Comunilife is an organization that has played a major role in my professional growth.
Current Employee (Current Employee), New York CItyJuly 30, 2013
Pros: an organization that has provided me with the tools to provide services to kids and their families, an organization that focuses on the needs of the underserved and underprivileged
Cons: no having enough funding to expand the services of my program into other boroughs.
I have read all the reviews posted on this site and I can honestly say that I have never personally experienced what these reviewers are claiming. I have been working at Comunilife for over 4 years; although challenging at times have provided opportunities for me to grow professionally. People who work in this field know that when one chooses to work at a nonprofit organization you will have to make sacrifices. I came into this organization knowing that there was work to be done and that there would be days that I would need to put in extra time, again I did it knowingly.

From day one I was given the support and opportunity to implement my ideas and my vision and merge them with the organization’s mission. Currently in the position I hold I am able to work directly with the participants of the program as well as the organizations executive management team. My supervisor has played a vital role in my professional development and has been instrumental in helping me achieve program goals.

If you are someone that is looking to work at an organization that sincerely has an interest in serving people I strongly suggest you look into the positions available and decide for yourself. Is this organization perfect, no it’s not, however in my 20+ years of working I have never found any organization to be. In a world where employment is hard to find I feel fortunate to be working at an organization where I actually love the work that I am doing and appreciate the team I work with.
Multicultural Agency dedicated to serving those in need
Asst Clinic Director (Current Employee), BronxJuly 28, 2013
I am writing this review as a current and former employee of Comunilife Vida Guidance Center. I have worked with Comunilife in different capacities since 2006. I was the Clinic Director from 2006 thru 2008. In 2008 I was in the process of moving out of New York State so I stepped down from my duties. However, I continued with the Vida Guidance Center until Feb. 2010, as a clinical consultant and a part time therapist. When I moved back to NYC in 2013 I can say I had the opportunity to work with several wonderful organizations that were seeking to hire me. I made the decision to come back to the Vida Guidance Center as the Clinic Director in February 2013 because I truly believe in the mission of Comunilife Inc, and how this agency is deeply invested in improving the lives of children, adults and families in New York City. I also have the priviledge of working with an amazing staff. Our Vida Guidance Center staff is a team of bilingual and multi-cultural professionals and we are deeply committed to helping our clients improve their lives. The staff is professional, kind, compassionate, caring, friendly and very dedicated to the community and the clients we serve. This clinic provides a true family atmosphere and a caring environment for the clients. I wake up every day excited to go to work and at least 2-3 times per week I see a client that remembers me as the director in 2006-2008, or as their therapist from 2009- 2010. The clients provide feedback that they continue to attend Vida Guidance Center because they feel cared for and that they are being helped with their problems. – more...

I want to share about the many exciting changes that are happening at the clinic! We are trained and specialize in cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) which is an evidenced based therapy designed to treat depression, anxiety, PTSD, substance use, smoking, family conflicts and behavioral issues in as little as 10-12 sessions. We have groups that provide therapy to treat depression/anxiety, Trauma and PTSD, ADHD in children, parenting skills/ parent support, couples/ relationships issues, substance abuse recovery, and wellness & health management. Our psychiatrists are trained in psychotropic medications, and in holistic (natural) alternatives for health management. The clinic continues to partner with Comunilife’s Life Is Precious program, which is a latina teen suicide prevention program servicing the Bronx and Brooklyn.

Comunilife is a great agency to work for. There are growth opportunities and it is a family atmosphere. I highly recommend this agency. – less
Interesting place to work with a multitude of diversity
Case Manager (Current Employee), Bronx, NYJuly 16, 2013
Pros: working with collateral agencies and seeing clientls achieve there goals.
Cons: low employee retention rates and very little room for advancements.
Comunilife has provideed me with experiene with working in the transiional shelter system. The client's I work with are intersting and have facets of dispositions that I welcome and assist. Moreover, the employees I have worked with have been a pleasure to work with.
THE MOST GHETTO PLACE TO WORK IN.....RUNNNNNN!
former employee (Former Employee), BronxMay 21, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
This is the worst organization to ever work for. From the very beginning, there is no proper training to do anything, let alone organization...it's train yourself. That's the VIDA motto. Management is never to blame for anything, it's always YOU..You are lucky if you have your own office, and if you do, they make you must share it with whom ever they please. Oh, they love to look thru your things when you are away or on weekends. They love to belittle you via email or in person. They never seem to remember what your job description is, and if they could have you clean the toilets...they would. Let's not forget the paltry salaries they pay you for any position and forget raises..they haven't had one in over 2 years. Raises are a thing of the past...but only for management of course. Everything must go through the hindu lady, who is really the boss. The therapists and psychiatrists are all over worked and under paid and no one seems to last. Medicaid rules this joint...Then, they want you to act like they are located on 5th avenue,dealing with the most disgusting people you would ever want to meet.

June 19, 2013

Vida Guidance Center is a horrible, horrible place to work. They care nothing for their clientele or their staff. I saw people hired/fired so often in my short tenure, it was soul crushing. The expectations were unrealistic to put it mildly. I was told I would be paid for a 35 hour week, but I was not told that I was expected to work an 80-100 hour week. I would put in 14-16 hour days 6 days a week and it still was not enough. I was promised a suitable space for my program that never materialized. I was relieved of my program and did not even get to say good bye or process termination with the girls in the program. I was expected to build a fully functioning program within 6 months and to be in several places at once, especially when it came to chauffeuring my supervisor between Manhattan and The Bronx. I could not do anything right for this woman. Then, she started assigning me regular cases to work on even though I had so much responsibility working with teens and creating a program that me hands were already full. I think she wanted me to quit so she could spend the money she got for my salary, from OMH, on something else. She gave my job to someone without even a bachelor's degree in violation of what OMH stipulated when they granted the money for my salary. When she didn't pay my replacement my salary, he quit in disgust, but not before yelling at the girls in the program to "SHUT UP!" whenever they said they missed me. This is a sick, sick place because it is run by a sick, sick woman.

If you enjoy not having a break then you should work here
Clinician (Former Employee), BronxMarch 13, 2013
Pros: clients and their appreciation of you
Cons: lack of training, lack of support, quick to point fingers instead of addressing problems, no collegial relationships allowed
At the Vida Guidance Center, there is lack of training in all areas as well as a lack of a break. You are expected to see 75 clients plus intakes while doing your notes within 24hours. You are supposed to take an hour break daily, but since you're not designated time to do notes, treatment plans, or return phone calls, you wind up doing all that during lunch or after hours. If you stay late, you do not get paid overtime. The HR dept was the best part of this company, always nice and understanding. However, that did not apply to the Vida Guidance Center. It is frowned upon for forming friendships with other employees or engaging in casual conversation throughout the day. The best part was forming relationships with the clients that loved the help you gave them.
this employer was a learning expreience
Clinical Case Manager (Former Employee), new yorkMarch 7, 2013
Pros: co-workers were consider family
Cons: supervisory skill are lacking
i learned about HASA benefits
i loved my coworkers when i began working at comunilife i was trained by them instead by my supervisor.
the hardest part of the job was seeing young men and women who had just been diagnoised with HIV and witnessing their coping skill.
the most enjoyable part o this job was assisting my clients in seeking independent skills.
Horrible organization. Please look elsewhere.
Clinician (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 26, 2013
Pros: learn how not to work in social services.
Cons: everything.
This organization covers its work or lack thereof by firing staff members and blaming them for poor audits. It is definitely a waste of time to work there. You will learn absolutely nothing. (Please read comment before as the clinician elaborated exactly to the point.) This organization hires to fire people within the probationary period in order to save money on the health benefits. It is overall a toxic environment where the skills to have should be brown-nosing. The organization as a whole puts its “lower level” workers in great danger when it comes to home visits. The visits are to be done daily. The neighborhoods you go into are run by gangs and drug dealers. (By the way you go on these visits by yourself). Supervisors are supposedly “Clinical”. That alone is the biggest joke. They seem to be on power trips. What I noticed the most was the amount of gossip in the office (supervisors included). It was horrible to even think that these people were in anyway shape or form responsible for the lives of the clientele they serve. Supervision is absolutely non existent. A lot of instruction without steps. Truly sad. Never seeing anything like it in 14 years of social services.