Comunilife, Inc. Employee Reviews

great facility
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2016
great co worker boss and facility client are well taken care of on a daily basis clean environment working equipment and over all a joy to work at
Pros
pay rate
Cons
clients can be a lot at times
My Best Employer to Date
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 9, 2016
I have worked in several non-profit organizations but Comunilife has been the very best. I feel lucky to work in a program that is supportive and respectful from the program director to the housekeeper. The work is demanding but very rewarding. I have learned so much from my supervisor and peers. I am required to attend training in and outside of the agency to help me manage my caseload. I get what I need to do my job.
I am very happy and comfortable.
Pros
Positive work environment, excellent collaboration with staff and good benefits
Cons
Need more technology
Case manager
Housing Retention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 13, 2016
My former company is a non-profit in the Bronx. As noted on their website, Comunilife "owns or manages 1,639 units of supported transitional and permanent housing for homeless adults struggling with HIV/AIDS, serious mental and behavioral health issues, and other chronic medical conditions."
Horrible Work Enviroment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 12, 2016
When I first started working at comunilife I felt like this place was a workplace full of opportunities and just different than my previous workplace. I was wrong about this company. The employees and clients are very nice except for management. The way employees are treated in this company is like they were animals. Employees are over worked, spoken like if they were children, and not respected. I blame management because they are the first ones who mistreat their employees. You cannot report any of the management because nothing will be done to fix it. Employees like myself work very hard and dedicate my life to my workplace, but at comunilife its a total different thing. What I really like is that their benefits are very good and cheat. When it comes to the salary you work very hard, through your lunch and pass your work hours and you still do not get compensated. Alot of employees who left before I did did express their concerns about being compensated for all the work they do. I would not go home until all my home visits and case notes were completed. I just wish that the president of comunilife would open her eyes and see that its time to try to make a change so employees who currently work there would love to stay at comunilife and not leave, but to do that many things have to be corrected like the preferences that are in the programs by management.
Benefits
Cons
Treatment and Salary
A place to get experience
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 18, 2015
Good place to work but horrible wages/salary. CEO does not really show much effort for the staff. They are not clear on giving specific information to their workers.
Pros
The staff and Director is good to work with.
Cons
horrible wages
My tenure at Comunilife.......
Office Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 27, 2015
My tenure at Comunilife, Inc. has been a valuable learning experience for me and has positively influenced in my life and my career. I have learned about the roles of the Staff in Administration, Case Managers and other Departments.

On July, 2015 it was as my 19th Anniversary at Comunilife, Inc. I started working with the Agency in 1996 when it was HIRE. I worked with Transitional Programs for two years. I also worked at Congregate Housing and also assist with the Projects of other Programs. I love and respect my residents for me they are no clients they are part of my family. I was always there for them when they needed it something or they wanted to talk or were feeling lonely or down or to see their faces happy when the Program did any activity for them or celebrated the Holidays or birthdays to see their expressions in their faces, always looking forward to the next activity. They made you feel pleased because we as employees of Comunilife, Inc. we were there for them for support and to assist them in anything they need.

Two years ago I received news from HRA that I was been transferred to another Program within Comunilife, Inc. that day I cried and I even told the Person in charge of the HRA Department that I was willing to take a demotion or a decreased in my salary but to please let me stay with that Program. I didn’t want to leave my co-workers but specially my clients the ones that I love and respect. I was told that they need me in another program to assist them with other projects.

I started working with Scatter Site where I respect my co-workers
  more... and is like a family. Even though the clients don’t reside at the Program they come and we still assist them with their daily needs. I enjoy working with them at Comunilife and continue serving the population that is the reason why we are here for them to help them and to follow their dreams and achieve their goals.
I help my co-workers as much as I can even if is not my department. I am a team player, I enjoy completing projects and making sure that everything is all right. I do so much in my position and I love what I do even multitasking. The most enjoyable part of working at Comunilife is receiving phone calls and emails from people that have used our services and expressed that they are pleased with our services.

With every job/work you will have your ups and downs, disappointments, etc. that happens everywhere you go no job is extraordinary. If you are someone that is looking to work at an organization that sincerely has an interest in serving people I strongly suggest you look into the positions available within Comunilife, Inc. Organization and decide for yourself. Is this organization perfect, no it’s not nothing is perfect in life, however in my 19 years of working I have never found any organization to be. In a world where employment is hard to find I feel privileged to be working at an organization where I actually love the work that I am doing and appreciate the team I work with. Comunilife, Inc. is my family.
My work experience for Comunilife for almost six years
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 24, 2015
My work experience for Comunilife for almost six years

Case Manager

I am grateful to Comunilife for giving me the opportunity to be one of the staff members for almost 6 years. I have also been given the opportunity to develop myself in very humanistic ways which include emotional, mental and spiritual dimensions. I have learned to establish my own ethical persona as well as my own work life balance. I have learned to handle tasks and responsibilities to better approach my clients and coworkers. I have had the opportunity to attend a lot of trainings to improve my knowledge both in theory and on how to apply it in this field and in my personal life. A job is a part of our life (as same as every endeavor of the human being); it is developed through our personal and social experiences embracing success and mistakes; however, to me the most important thing is to improve the first and learn from the second.
Great place to work at and obtain experience and growth
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 21, 2015
I entered this agency as an intern on September 2012. I did not have any experience in this field; in regards to conducting home visits and developing assessments. Since my internship, I have gained experience and have been able to grow within the field. I was hired on March 2013 as a Case Manager. There has been plenty of work to done on a monthly basis but they have not been impossible to accomplish. I have received the opportunity not to only grow in the Case Management field but also in intake coordination, conducting interviews, and showing apartments to the potential clients. All of these tasks that I have been able to work on have provided me with the opportunity to learn and grow. Most of the staff, have been encouraging and supportive. Overall, this agency has provided me with the tools necessary to continue growing within this field.
Pros
Experience and Growth
Cons
Compensation
Opportunities for growth and learning
Housing Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 17, 2015
I have been with Comunilife since 2005 and I am proud to say that I am very thankful. Comunilife has taught me so much throughout these 10 years. The organization recognize the employees that work hard and are willing to learn new things and take the initiative to succeed in their Programs. My experience at Comunilife has been great so far. I have been promoted four times and received positive feedback from my Supervisors and colleagues. The best part of my job is helping our clients by finding affordable apartments for our Supported Housing Programs. I am Comunilife!!
Pros
Recognition, Employee Benefits
Solid institution where staff can grow while serving our communities
Assistant Vice President Mental Health Programs (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2015
I began my career in this organization in 1992 in the scattered site housing program for severe mentally ill individuals. I received educational training in-house and out of the organization as well as extensive supervision that allowed me to be promoted to higher positions, up to Executive Deputy Director. I left the agency in 2009 to pursue my own business. As my family and professional needs changed; I decided to come back in a new role, clinical supervisor, to repay agency and to serve the community to which I am fully committee.
Agency has a long history of serving homeless, mentally ill individuals and people living with HIV with a profound commitment to serve a multicultural population. The entire agency and the Guidance Center offer services in an systemic and multicultural relational approach where individuals are not consider a “number” but a human being in need, deserving of high quality care as they integrate to their communities.

This agency is a solid institution where staff can grow and develop their potential while serving our communities; as I was given the knowledge as well as the opportunity to develop a vertical movement during my prior 17 years of service within this agency. I highly recommend this organization to those individuals in the mental health and social services fields that want to make a difference as well as to grow professionally. This is what I believe and this is why I rejoined the agency with pride.
Pros
Ability to grow and professional advancement
Crazy Place, Bipolar Management
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  QueensJune 16, 2015
You will need to work through lunch and any break to accomplish your many task, I think it's an unwritten rule. I did learn a lot however, I learned from my collateral contacts and the funding agencies. Co-worker for the most part are great except, those that are in the gossiping team (lots of gossiping even in upper management). The hardest part of the job is trying to provide quality client services. The most enjoyable part of the job is GOING HOME.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
No Humanity
It's a entry position
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMay 17, 2015
Comunilife is good organization if you are just getting in the field of Counseling. You will learn a lot and there will be some good times working with your colleagues. Management needs be more aware of the employees needs especially when it comes to working double/ triple shifts. They also need to raise the starting salary to a livable wage it should compensate for the work that is required to be done on a daily basis. not to mention with the population being served.
Pros
It is a learning experience
Cons
The wages need to compensate for the work
Learning Experience
Assistant Program Director (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 4, 2015
My tenure at Comunilife, Inc. has been a valuable learning experience for me and has positively influenced my career path. I've learned tremendously about the roles of staff in administration, middle management, and line workers. A typical work day includes continuous multitasking and ability to utilize deductive reasoning to enhance sound judgment and decision making skills.
HumanRelations
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 20, 2014
My review of this company is that they lack the Human relations aspect. If they were in tune with satff as people and not just think of them as work horses then this agency could do a lot better with the turnover rate. There is not enough staff to cover the available shifts or when someone is on vacation, or calls off. Little to no communication.
Pros
Other staff members are nice to work with
Cons
Need better pay rate as well as more staff
Working with clients is rewarding job.
Entitlement Specialist/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 14, 2014
In working with the homeless population that suffers with mental health diagnosis and substance abuse is a challenging and fulfilling experience each day. Hardest part of job is inability to assist clients with housing opportunities and watching clients struggle with relapsing.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Salary does not compensate for job duties required
Horrible place to work
security guard (Former Employee) –  Bronx, nyNovember 22, 2014
As an Security Guard for a few months. I was hired my first day on the job I wanted too quit. The Management was too ghetto, the building was soo dirty, smelling and falling apart. The hours was horrible/ No lunch break. I regret working for a company like this. Never again. You was told one thing then another which wasnt truth. This place is a horrible compamy I've ever worked for in my life. Im a very positive person. This place had alot of negatives environment. Pls dont apply for any position here trust me you will regret it. No future only become very sick working them long hours like a sittig duck.
Pros
working/health condition
Cons
lack of support from management/ no lunch break
Not a good place to work
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 18, 2014
I worked in Life is Precious as Case Manager. There is not structure in the program. There is not supervision and opportunity to grow.

Don't apply to this job. You will be very disappointed.
Pros
light job
Cons
not structure
Run! Do not apply to this company!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brownsville, NYApril 1, 2014
If you believe for one second your current job situation is bad, any position you take in this company will be worst!

Yes, the company has been around for 25 years due to politics. The company use to be called H.I.R.E. Inc. Do your research if you do not believe me, ask questions to former and current employees, there are somethings one just cannot lie about. The management starting the CEO is needs to CLEAN HOUSE. They do not care about their employees, you are expendable to them and they make it very known through their verbal threats. The turn over rate is outrageous and retention is non-existent because even if someone had agreed to stay for transfer or $1 pay raise you end up resigning again months later. It is simply not worth it. It is the client's who suffer due to the inconsistency of staff and it is a set back on their path to independent healthy living.

The pay sucks, competitive salary is nonsense. Even if they start you off with $30,000 yr, note that will be your salary until you seek employment elsewhere. You are consider "LOW INCOME" it looks good but not when you are trying to build a life for yourself. They do not give merit pay or contribute to 401K unless they have the extra budget for it, which is NEVER. There is no room for growth, if you get a promotion it does not mean your pay changes.

Please understand that I am a current employee, I have worked for the company for about 3 years and I am leaving on my own good terms. After awhile the turn overs get to you and you get a new supervisor, PD or VP who wants to revamp everything only to turn around
  more... a resign too. After going through this 5 times in 3 years with no acknowledgement of all the work you put in to help keep the program up float through understaffed pressure, it is time for someone else to do it all. You do not just apply to one position, you are apply to all the vacant positions, you are expected to "pitch in" through their turmoils which never ends! You are not compensated or applauded however, if you chose not to do so then it is used against you. Job security? There is none! Just so you know, you are an AT WILL employee! You can be let go for anything and I mean anything!

The company is ran by females which one would hope this is a GREAT thing, but in this case it is not. They are inconsiderate, unappreciative, inhumane, unethical and unprofessional.

A positive note, you'll love your clients and some of co workers. You'll gain experience in the field if you have none but you also experience everything wrong along the way.

Get in and Get out, if you consider this company. I get it, desperate times and it's hard to find a job. Just milk it until something descent comes along.

Remember, you are interviewing the company too, so ask questions!
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
A place for learning and growing
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 10, 2014
Comunilife has been a great place for me to work. I have learned a lot through the 2 years that I been working here. I have a supervisor that it is very supportive and pleasant to work with.

Time management is a must in the organization, but each month is rewarded by good outcomes.

The most enjoyable part of working at Comunilife is receiving phone calls and emails from people that have used our services and expressed that they are pleasant with our services.
Pros
Space for learning
Poor
RECEPTIONIST/SCHEDULE COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2014
A day at Comunilife/Vida Guidance Center was a very hustle environment. The company has very poor management and staff member. I was employed at this company for two years and never received an evaluation and or increase of pay.
Pros
Leaving for the day
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Comunilife, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9