Con-way

Con-way Employee Reviews

Con-way Pays Good but Horrible Work/Life Balance and Horrible Environment
DSR (Former Employee), KentuckyJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Everything is terrible except pay.
Con-way drivers are called Driver Sales Representatives(DSR's). As a driver you will "bid"(Con-way calls this job selection to get away from union terms) City(senior guys), Day Linehaul(senior guys),AM flex, Dockworker, Night linehaul(senior guys), PM Flex. You will maybe after 5-6 years get a location "bid" for your linehaul or city run.

You will slip-seat trucks and receive a different truck everyday. Con-way claims half their fleet are modern freightliner trucks. Lies. Con-way has a few freightliners that only senior guys will drive while 98% of the time you will be driving a sterling(ford) truck that matches the same sterlings built since the 80's. Granted they do have A/C, but no radio, and no cruise control, and they are 7-speed.

Con-way still uses paperlogs and will continue as long as they can until it's mandatory so drivers can make their cut-times, and Con-way don't have to manage their Hours of Service so closely.

I honestly look for Con-way to keep losing, losing, and losing business because they damage so much freight. The only reason they have half the freight they have is because companies know they can ship through Con-way and it'll get damaged and they'll get it shipped for free. This is great, at first, but over time companies and their customers get tired of having to ship things multiple times and go elsewhere. If you ship through Con-way and want your product delivered damage-free you better pack it like a tank.

Con-way uses the cheapest sub-service carriers(outside carriers) every day even if they have their own drivers sitting on the dock – more... at the terminal.

The work environment at Con-way is toxic, toxic, toxic. They don't follow their own policies, and management favoritism is very rampant.

Con-way has been around for a long time and has many old-timer bosses and workers that don't care about anything or anyone but themselves.

Con-way is not innovative and is very behind times in every aspect of the company from the way you dispatch, to your BIL(Manifest), to how you load trailers, to their handhelds.

Con-way talks a good game until you get on the dock and realize half of what you were told is smoke-and-mirrors.

Con-way is basically a fast-food job on stilts(Pay). They offer basically no retirement(401k with NO match), and no predictability on your start-time or destination.) They are not good at explaining their policies either. Actually, they don't explain them at all. You come in one day and do something the same way you always did it and then the following day get a message saying you did it wrong and you're suppose to do it this way. However, noone told you the policy changed. – less
Poor Leadership
Forklift Dock Worker-Load and Unload (Former Employee), Henderson, COJune 24, 2015
There was no leadership by higher personnel, it was not a work friendly environment. From workers to supervisors, there was tension and not sense of team work. Poor Leadership.
Miss this company
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 8, 2015
Enjoyed my time here. Lots of freight to run...lots. Pay was good also. No major complaints. Travelled all 48 and Canada. Great equipment and wonderful administration.
Culture is a roller coaster
Account Executive (Former Employee), parkersburg, wvJune 8, 2015
Management is very inconsistent. Could be a good place to work, but hard to tell how bosses react. The culture always changes, doesn't seem to stay consistent at all. Makes it difficult to know where you stand.
Very Hard Place to work
Line haul driver (Former Employee), Blountville, TNJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good pay if you work 65-70 hrs wk
Cons: No benefits, No life, No overtime
I worked Line Haul in Blountville, TN very long hours your check shows 38-40 hours But do the math 8pm to 10am 5 days a week isn't 40 hours. Need to change management at some terminals. They watch every move you make from the time you clock in and clock out. Very high rate of back injury, Some of the people I worked with were cool. But there were a lot of workers that didn't want the union but used there years of service like the union. I was union for 15 years and I can say con-way needs a union BAD............
Nice
Dockworker (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 4, 2015
Pros: Good people to work with
Cons: Bad work schedule
Great pay, great guys to work with. Easy money for someone looking to work a odd schedule. Advancement is nearly non existent.
Current FOS
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Milton PennsylvaniaJune 2, 2015
Pros: Health insurance, 401k
Cons: Long hours, thankless grueling work, HIGH pressure, filthy environment.
Hired on to work 50 hour weeks but usually worked much longer. Management was largely poorly educated and operations suffered as a result. It's a very old school, boys club, lets drink some Budweiser and hit the strip clubs after work kind of an environment outside of corporate, at the service center level. If you work at an operation with a night FAC or reship you could end up working nights for years. If you are working on the dock, and you almost certainly will be, prepare to come home with a face caked in forklift exhaust every night. Extensive exposure to the elements required since operations don't stop because of heat or cold.
It's not for everyone
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJune 1, 2015
Pros: Drivers
Cons: Waiting, waiting, waiting
I was not happy here because I spent more time waiting at customers than driving. Some of the places they send you are not made for trucks. Once you are assigned a load, it is yours until you deliver it. I had to sit over the weekend I quit to deliver.

But must say the drivers of the company are very good and dedicated.
Worked each day loading/unloading trailers per company policy...
Certified Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 30, 2015
Pros: Weekly pay, Quality Uniforms, American Based Company
Cons: FOS & FOM are distant in Charlotte, NC (NCH) location
- What I learned was how to safely and efficiently load freight for a premier LTL Carrier,
- The hardest part of my job: 1.) dragging the heavy dunnage used to brace and secure the freight,
2.) Adjusting too working in adverse weather conditions
- The most enjoyable part of my job: getting paid on a weekly basis
and the interaction and comraderie of my co-workers.
Dispatched Trucks on Route (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMay 29, 2015
Pros: People
Cons: Management
Dispatching trucks on routes, Send claims back,Faxing,scanning, filing,claims attendent,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The Company does a great job putting thier employees first
Driver OTR (Former Employee), Joplin, MOMay 26, 2015
Pros: Good people, Great equipment, Better than expected miles and Pay
Cons: Not for everyone. must be a traveler to succeed.
Positive attitudes easy drop hook loads nice equipment and responsive dispatch.if you are business minded and love to drive this company is very good about taking care of their drivers.
Very good pay
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Aurora, ILMay 23, 2015
Pros: Great Pay
Cons: Poor work home balance
This job requires you to perform all functions of running a store. Aspects from scrubbing floors to creating monthly and yearly budgets.
Independent, active, in control, and appreciated.
Driver Sales Rep (Current Employee), Cincinnati, OHMay 18, 2015
Pros: Being out in the public, having control over my day, and being good at what I do.
Cons: Compensation, healthcare, and feeling unimportant.
Was a great place to work with advancement positions available. Compensation was higher than any previous position held by myself. I was able to work at my own pace make decisions that affected production for myself and my co-workers. That has changed drastically in the last three years. I used to think work was fun and so did my co-workers. Management has become micro-management, stress levels have risen drastically for myself and my co-workers. I've learned to keep my opinions close. Compensation has lagged drastically especially health care costs eating away any gains. It is still great to go in and see my co-workers who I consider my friends. Also the customers that I have developed a relationship with over time. I would like to get back to feeling that what I contributed was important and appreciated. my co-workers and I feel that is extremely important and is lacking at this time.
No fun activities, just work.
Truck Driver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZMay 11, 2015
Pros: No free lunches
Cons: yes short breaks, healthcare was good.
I would start off with taking the next unloading Ticket. There was 50 inbound trailers and on the other side there was 50 outbound trailers. I unloaded my trailer to the correct outgoing trailer. I averaged about 5 trailers from 4am to 10 am, then I was assigned to a certain route. I would check the trailer for all the correct orders and check to make sure it was loaded properly and safely. I would do a tractor vehicle inspection for safety. then I would hook my trailer up and drive to all my assigned city deliveries. I used a 53 footer or I had a set of two 28 footers. I learned it is always good to double check your work, there is no reason for errors. Also follow safety guidelines is the number one rule. Management was always very helpful to employees. I was very well like by my co-workers, they appreciate hard workers and sometimes it took an extra hand to help with a difficult item of freight. I would have to say there was no hard part, I enjoyed everything about my job.
good
Freight Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Clackamas, ORMay 11, 2015
Good company to to work for, can be difficult to find a work life balance with the hours of work and the time of work. Pay is good and management is like any large corporation or business.
Lack of compassion, when family member was in hospital
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOMay 8, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Super Single Wheels
It was a rough start learning the call com computer system, but I did.
Conway was a good company to work for, although they could pay better.
Productive workplace
Customer Service representative (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 8, 2015
Pros: Great working enviroment with a steady pace
Cons: Short lunches with no breaks
Day to day operations of freight carrier. This position consists of scheduling daily LTL (less than truckload) pickups from various companies. Tracking and tracing shipments, processing, billing, and imaging of all logistics. (Bills of Lading, DRs, customs docs, and Hamates.) Daily reports to various large businesses. Customer service and all that entails.
Leading LTL Carrier
Service Center Manager (Former Employee), Jackson, MIMay 7, 2015
I worked at Con-way Freight for over 15 years. They are a leader in the LTL industry and a good company to work for.
Managing a service center from day to day included the following:
Ensuring safe and effective operations
Leading with LEAN ideals
Coaching and Education
Good miles
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOMay 5, 2015
Good pay and miles. But if you like home time not the company to work for. Our dispatcher was very nasty to us. Never understood that there were times we just had to be home to deal with family issues.
Fast paced environment with positive work results
Account Executive (Former Employee), El Paso, TXMay 5, 2015
Pros: State of the art pc hardware/software
Cons: Terminal Management lacked people skills
Major carrier with top training program, excellent customer service backup, excellent benefits, and top of the line equipment. Strong marketing programs aimed to target all accounts at all levels with above average discounts.

1 2 3 4 5

About Con-way

Con-way Inc. is a freight transportation and logistics services company headquartered in Ann Arbor, Mich. Con-way delivers industry-leading – Read more

Con-way Salaries

Truck Driver