Con-way

Con-way Employee Reviews

great place to work for
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJuly 27, 2015
Conway is a great place to work for you'll learn a lot and could advanced in position but sadly management wise is poor inbound manager doesn't know how to treat employees
Kinda sucked
Truck Driver Student/Dockworker (Current Employee), New YorkJuly 26, 2015
The only thing good was the paycheck. I swear they suck...... they mostly care about themselves. You'll be a truck driver that paints floors for them and they give 2 cares.
good benefits and pay
Driver (Former Employee), E Brunswick, NJJuly 25, 2015
Pros: benefits and pay, good people
Cons: always a push in the city or linehaul
I retired after just short of 20 yrs. after looking for part time work and seeing what the pay scales are and benefits offered Con Way is above just about everybody. It is not an easy job and it's not for everybody. I was a l/h driver,I made good money but i spent 14hrs a day at work.Good people to work with for the most part. I didn't have any issues with management but some did and a lot of them were valid. It's the nature of the beast the company always wants more and it's management's job to get it. I just did my job.The equipment is good for the most.Like I said it's not for everybody
Decent pay
Driver (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 22, 2015
Decent pay but hard to get a regular work schedule, Co-workers where great to work with.

Management can be hard to work with, can be frustrating.
Great Employees
Capacity Support (Current Employee), Joplin, MOJuly 21, 2015
As with any job, not every job is great but at least at Con-way Truckload the co-workers make coming to work so much better. Your co workers treat you better than family and they make you want to work better as a team and step in and help out when they needed. The employees take pride in their work and it shows.
Good pay great coworkers
assist machine operators (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOJuly 19, 2015
I worked here for 2 years a Dock worker. I worked a ton of overtime which was great since I was in college. Also the supervisors are down to earth.
Great Place to work
Billing /Customer Service (Former Employee), Plainfield, INJuly 15, 2015
Pros: Great Company and people to work for
I enjoyed this Company.. I did Billing and Customer service and helped drivers with their handheld computers.
It was very challenging. Was a great teamwork!
It's Okay
Office (Current Employee), Joplin, MOJuly 7, 2015
Great co-workers, great middle management. Upper management tries to do too many things at once which results in mediocre results. Very "corporate." Pay is minimal with little advancement opportunities. Raises do not cover cost of living, but you do at least get annual raises. Expect a stressful environment.
Good warehouse oppurtinuty
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 6, 2015
Loved the work environment, fast and productive work vibe and great upper management. Great hours and good pay with benefits.
Great Company
Service Center Manager (Current Employee), Upper Sandusky, OhioJuly 6, 2015
long hours, hard to find a work/life balance. pay and benefits are very good but wasn't worth the sacrifices after 6 years.
Line haul
line haul (Former Employee), cinnamison NjJuly 5, 2015
Pros: good pay, good equipment
Cons: you won't have no family time and they don't care
It suck they need to fire every body and hire new people They don't care about there worker and real up tight like it the army
Con-way Pays Good but Horrible Work/Life Balance and Horrible Environment
DSR (Former Employee), KentuckyJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Pay
Cons: Everything is terrible except pay.
Con-way drivers are called Driver Sales Representatives(DSR's). As a driver you will "bid"(Con-way calls this job selection to get away from union terms) City(senior guys), Day Linehaul(senior guys),AM flex, Dockworker, Night linehaul(senior guys), PM Flex. You will maybe after 5-6 years get a location "bid" for your linehaul or city run.

You will slip-seat trucks and receive a different truck everyday. Con-way claims half their fleet are modern freightliner trucks. Lies. Con-way has a few freightliners that only senior guys will drive while 98% of the time you will be driving a sterling(ford) truck that matches the same sterlings built since the 80's. Granted they do have A/C, but no radio, and no cruise control, and they are 7-speed.

Con-way still uses paperlogs and will continue as long as they can until it's mandatory so drivers can make their cut-times, and Con-way don't have to manage their Hours of Service so closely.

I honestly look for Con-way to keep losing, losing, and losing business because they damage so much freight. The only reason they have half the freight they have is because companies know they can ship through Con-way and it'll get damaged and they'll get it shipped for free. This is great, at first, but over time companies and their customers get tired of having to ship things multiple times and go elsewhere. If you ship through Con-way and want your product delivered damage-free you better pack it like a tank.

Con-way uses the cheapest sub-service carriers(outside carriers) every day even if they have their own drivers sitting on the dock – more... at the terminal.

The work environment at Con-way is toxic, toxic, toxic. They don't follow their own policies, and management favoritism is very rampant.

Con-way has been around for a long time and has many old-timer bosses and workers that don't care about anything or anyone but themselves.

Con-way is not innovative and is very behind times in every aspect of the company from the way you dispatch, to your BIL(Manifest), to how you load trailers, to their handhelds.

Con-way talks a good game until you get on the dock and realize half of what you were told is smoke-and-mirrors.

Con-way is basically a fast-food job on stilts(Pay). They offer basically no retirement(401k with NO match), and no predictability on your start-time or destination.) They are not good at explaining their policies either. Actually, they don't explain them at all. You come in one day and do something the same way you always did it and then the following day get a message saying you did it wrong and you're suppose to do it this way. However, noone told you the policy changed. – less
Poor Leadership
Forklift Dock Worker-Load and Unload (Former Employee), Henderson, COJune 24, 2015
There was no leadership by higher personnel, it was not a work friendly environment. From workers to supervisors, there was tension and not sense of team work. Poor Leadership.
Miss this company
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 8, 2015
Enjoyed my time here. Lots of freight to run...lots. Pay was good also. No major complaints. Travelled all 48 and Canada. Great equipment and wonderful administration.
Culture is a roller coaster
Account Executive (Former Employee), parkersburg, wvJune 8, 2015
Management is very inconsistent. Could be a good place to work, but hard to tell how bosses react. The culture always changes, doesn't seem to stay consistent at all. Makes it difficult to know where you stand.
Very Hard Place to work
Line haul driver (Former Employee), Blountville, TNJune 8, 2015
Pros: Good pay if you work 65-70 hrs wk
Cons: No benefits, No life, No overtime
I worked Line Haul in Blountville, TN very long hours your check shows 38-40 hours But do the math 8pm to 10am 5 days a week isn't 40 hours. Need to change management at some terminals. They watch every move you make from the time you clock in and clock out. Very high rate of back injury, Some of the people I worked with were cool. But there were a lot of workers that didn't want the union but used there years of service like the union. I was union for 15 years and I can say con-way needs a union BAD............
Nice
Dockworker (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 4, 2015
Pros: Good people to work with
Cons: Bad work schedule
Great pay, great guys to work with. Easy money for someone looking to work a odd schedule. Advancement is nearly non existent.
Current FOS
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Milton PennsylvaniaJune 2, 2015
Pros: Health insurance, 401k
Cons: Long hours, thankless grueling work, HIGH pressure, filthy environment.
Hired on to work 50 hour weeks but usually worked much longer. Management was largely poorly educated and operations suffered as a result. It's a very old school, boys club, lets drink some Budweiser and hit the strip clubs after work kind of an environment outside of corporate, at the service center level. If you work at an operation with a night FAC or reship you could end up working nights for years. If you are working on the dock, and you almost certainly will be, prepare to come home with a face caked in forklift exhaust every night. Extensive exposure to the elements required since operations don't stop because of heat or cold.
It's not for everyone
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJune 1, 2015
Pros: Drivers
Cons: Waiting, waiting, waiting
I was not happy here because I spent more time waiting at customers than driving. Some of the places they send you are not made for trucks. Once you are assigned a load, it is yours until you deliver it. I had to sit over the weekend I quit to deliver.

But must say the drivers of the company are very good and dedicated.
Worked each day loading/unloading trailers per company policy...
Certified Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMay 30, 2015
Pros: Weekly pay, Quality Uniforms, American Based Company
Cons: FOS & FOM are distant in Charlotte, NC (NCH) location
- What I learned was how to safely and efficiently load freight for a premier LTL Carrier,
- The hardest part of my job: 1.) dragging the heavy dunnage used to brace and secure the freight,
2.) Adjusting too working in adverse weather conditions
- The most enjoyable part of my job: getting paid on a weekly basis
and the interaction and comraderie of my co-workers.
Headquarters
2211 Old Earhart Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Industry
Links
Con-way website