Con-way Employee Reviews in United States

The core values were abandoned and the culture changed
Cargo Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXMay 30, 2016
Being lead to the same work standards for cargo claims conclusion as all other examiners while being pulled by the two department managers and director to hold their hands on every 3PL claim dispute that landed on their desk took it's toll. It became increasingly difficult. I would receive calls from the director when I was on vacation to assist him because they did not understand third party logistics and had no desire to learn because it was easier to pull me from my work.
Very Compartmentalized
Maintenance Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 24, 2016
Road Rescue,
Same duties on a larger scale as Hogan Trucking. Work pace was much faster, decisions had to be made within 30-45 seconds and a repair plan started as a work order.Managed repair from dispatching repair service to paying the invoice with Master Card or Com-Data Check.
Pros
very involved Manager who did not hesitate to help
Cons
A slow transition and change under the LEAN management concept
a job that pays well
Dockworker/Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  LaSalle, ILMay 3, 2016
come in to work some management good sector leaders demand a lot of negative feedback to employers did my job in whatever weather conditions were to the best of my ability learned how to be a better loader and unloader of trailers and forklift operator management listen sector leaders made impossible demands and negative feedback coworkers some good some bad the hardest part was staying 10hrs in freezing cold paycheck at the end of the week
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no short breaks for 10-12 hr days demand that was put on us
the hardest part of the job!
Combination Driver / Yardman (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2016
Great company to work for, fast pace environment, great co-workers, anytime i needed help there was also someone around to help! i can't really say anything bad about Con-Way except if you're in the Northeast region as a new driver expect to not get any drive time or any real hours for at least a year or until new hires come around..
Pros
great pay, great place to work..
Cons
3 to 5 hour work days duringwinter season.
Great place to Work
Driver Sales Representative Driver Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, WIApril 14, 2016
Work Hard and work Safely. Well compensated for your efforts. very much a safety first company. one of the highest paid positions compared to other less then truckload companies. The voice of the driver was very important to those in management. starting with the immediate supervisor up to the ceo. I would recommend a little less of the micro management of employees. the culture of the drivers is very close. you can ask for help with anything and others will give you a hand to get the job done
Pros
Safety, New Equipment, Strong managers
Cons
No breaks in the day. only a lunchtime (1/2 hour). in a 10 hour day that is all you are allowed
No room for advancement
Cargo Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 18, 2016
Con-way Freight was a great company to work for, that's if you would like to stay in one position without advancement. In most of their salary positions there is no room for advancement only room for raises which most of the time were only 2%. (the politics average) The best thing about the job is I learned the in's and out of cargo claim and its was never a dull moment.
Boring and not enough interation with people
Administration and Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAApril 21, 2016
A typical work shift was spent on the computer entering bills. My typing and computer skills improved. The management played favoritism towards the mall. I enjoyed learning a new skill, but I need more interaction with people. I love helping people and talking. My coworkers were wonderful, best part of the job.
Decent pay, sucks to work for
Certified Dock Labor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 22, 2016
Management doesn't care or listen to drivers and. They only worry about whats best for themselves. A lot of issues start with them, and they don't like it when someone tells them so. if you want a family life, forget it. the hours that you have to put in to make a living don't allow any room for that. They always talk about safety this and that, but really its all about getting the job done fast and doesn't matter if its safe.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
benefits used to be great, but are sub par now
Con-way was great! XPO? Eh
Freight Operations supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Moved from JB Hunt to Con-way Freight because of the employee culture and the overall attitude of management towards people and the work/home balance. XPO took over in October and immediately laid off 600 people after stating they would not change anything within the first year. Freight is slow the first of the year and within 3 weeks XPO had laid off another 190 people. No value placed on people with XPO, all about the bottom dollar and bodies are expendable. Shame
Productive and Secure work Place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 9, 2016
This job was an eye opener. Helped me gain fork-lift operator skills and taught me at a young age the seriousness of being on a workforce team, and how to bring value to my team. The management there was extremely structured, being that most of them came from the military. my coworkers where great! Nice people who helped me when I needed it along the way. The hardest part of the job was being able to keep up with the professionals at fist, but as time went on I got the hang of it. The most enjoyable part was the challenged CONWAY posed.
Pros
Network/ Skills obtained
Cons
opportunity structure
ok
OTR Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 23, 2016
they were good to work for as long as you deal with your dispatcher not larado dispatch that also does el paso. they do not care about you they just want to use you to do there dropped loads by teams.
Pros
ok
Cons
other than your normal dispatcher they do not care about you
Excellent pay and great work environment
Freight Classification Specialist (Former Employee) –  LaSalle, ILMarch 2, 2016
Learned how to work together with others as a team. Easy to get along with other workers. Hardest part of the job was it was 3rd shift. Best part of the job was contributing to the companies bottom line.
Pros
Pay, Not labor intensive.
Cons
3rd shift
It was a great place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALDecember 23, 2015
The bosses and employees were very friendly and they all helped out during my training and going over all of the OSHA safety laws that I needed to follow. It was definitely one of the better places that I have held employment at following every safety regulation.
Pros
Great work enviroment and good pay.
Cons
The hours were only about 6 to 7 each day only gettng about 34-35 total a week.
Typical Logistics COmpany
City/Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALMay 6, 2016
Con-Way is a typical logistics company. There are good days and bad. My overall experience was positive......the management had strict deadlines, as many jobs do and this could cause very difficult confrontations.
Not a bad place to work but management is lacking
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJanuary 13, 2016
The job is fairly easy and pays well but management is very removed from the actual work that's being done. Bad decisions are made on what our hours should be or changes to the job because of this. If you work as a supervisor on the dock, expect long hours. Drivers also work long hours.
A great company to work
QA/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 3, 2016
Enjoyed working at Conway with team members and manager. The work environment is amazing with good processes.The software department has many applications that is being supported by various IT employees.
Perfect enviroment for working mothers
Freight Classification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 27, 2016
Job Work/Life Balance is the best I have ever had. The only downfall is there is not room for potential growth.
Typical day is working with diverse patient and supporting doctor.
Productive usuallly have work to do on a daily basis.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 13, 2016
Overall a fair place to work in comparison to other companies and some similarities.A very demanding career and you will always be learning something new,for as things are always changing.
Data Entry
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 12, 2016
The best part about working at Conway was that I gained experience in data entry, but there wasn't any opportunities in advancing in the company. Being a data entry clerk was the furthest I could go and I want a company that I can grow in.
nice
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Stoughton, WIJune 14, 2016
It was a productive logistics company, and I quit to become a truck driver. it was nice at first driving an hour back and fourth, then it became difficult for me. I left to further my training with Waukesha county technical college.