Con-way Employee Reviews

Poductive and nice place to work as a second job with friendly co-workers.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOSeptember 22, 2016
Everyday I would go in and tie in with my supervisor to see if there was any special cleaning projects for the evening. I worked with another employee and we cleaned 1st floor cafeteria floors and 1st floor restrooms. Then we would clean the upper floor Executive dinning, and conference rooms and offices. We also cleaned the theater, communications and truck bay offices.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Con-way Freight Taken over by XPO Logistics Nov 2015
National Account Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXJune 29, 2016
Pre- takeover:
Most of my co-workers were wonderful. The ones that stayed on their cell phones and avoided work were never called on it and those that worked the hardest were micromanaged. The hardest part of the job was the management was always changing, unavailable and they were indecisive. They kept adding work onto the team all in the name of being lean.

Takeover lay-offs were made on a personal basis, not on a professional basis.
Pros
Increased my skillsets & made some very good friends.
Cons
Too many personal politics were allowed to run unchecked
The core values were abandoned and the culture changed
Cargo Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXMay 30, 2016
Being lead to the same work standards for cargo claims conclusion as all other examiners while being pulled by the two department managers and director to hold their hands on every 3PL claim dispute that landed on their desk took it's toll. It became increasingly difficult. I would receive calls from the director when I was on vacation to assist him because they did not understand third party logistics and had no desire to learn because it was easier to pull me from my work.
Very Compartmentalized
Maintenance Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 24, 2016
Road Rescue,
Same duties on a larger scale as Hogan Trucking. Work pace was much faster, decisions had to be made within 30-45 seconds and a repair plan started as a work order.Managed repair from dispatching repair service to paying the invoice with Master Card or Com-Data Check.
Pros
very involved Manager who did not hesitate to help
Cons
A slow transition and change under the LEAN management concept
the hardest part of the job!
Combination Driver / Yardman (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYMay 23, 2016
Great company to work for, fast pace environment, great co-workers, anytime i needed help there was also someone around to help! i can't really say anything bad about Con-Way except if you're in the Northeast region as a new driver expect to not get any drive time or any real hours for at least a year or until new hires come around..
Pros
great pay, great place to work..
Cons
3 to 5 hour work days duringwinter season.
a job that pays well
Dockworker/Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  LaSalle, ILMay 3, 2016
come in to work some management good sector leaders demand a lot of negative feedback to employers did my job in whatever weather conditions were to the best of my ability learned how to be a better loader and unloader of trailers and forklift operator management listen sector leaders made impossible demands and negative feedback coworkers some good some bad the hardest part was staying 10hrs in freezing cold paycheck at the end of the week
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no short breaks for 10-12 hr days demand that was put on us
Happy inviroment
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INAugust 13, 2016
Really like the people and jobs. Like the fact you can move up or around in the company. It is a hard physical job and really made a lot of friends there.
Pros
Job oppertuities and good people
Cons
good money for partime job, but hard to get good pay with trying to get full time and hard to get
all drivers work the dock - non union job - seniority pays off
Driver (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJuly 22, 2016
Hired during the busy season. As a new employee, went home many nights without a load to carry. Laid several new drivers off on December 31, as soon as the busy season ended.
Pros
Seniority pays, if you can stay long enough
Cons
New driver, no seniority - all drivers work the dock
Driver can't stay in lane
Not a driver (Former Employee) –  OhioJuly 27, 2016
Traffic was slowing us all down but I was thankful that my son's doctor appointment was on the right so I could get off the road soon. Unfortunately a Con-way truck was in two lanes and I was held back for a very long time! So frustrating!!!!!
Truck 315-1166. License plate 74742. July 27.
Pick a lane!
Great place to Work
Driver Sales Representative Driver Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, WIApril 14, 2016
Work Hard and work Safely. Well compensated for your efforts. very much a safety first company. one of the highest paid positions compared to other less then truckload companies. The voice of the driver was very important to those in management. starting with the immediate supervisor up to the ceo. I would recommend a little less of the micro management of employees. the culture of the drivers is very close. you can ask for help with anything and others will give you a hand to get the job done
Pros
Safety, New Equipment, Strong managers
Cons
No breaks in the day. only a lunchtime (1/2 hour). in a 10 hour day that is all you are allowed
Shipping and Receiving
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCAugust 25, 2016
Loading and Unloading Semi Trucks with forklifts as well as hand pallet jacks. Wrapping freight. Ensuring all Safety measures were met and always being aware of surroundings due to Forklift Traffic.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Working on Dock in all weather
This was a second job to supplement income
Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 10, 2016
Con-way was a second job I took on to supplement my income for the summer. I like the fast pace and action there. The only thing that I did not like was group meeting where they were always talking about writing people up.
Pros
Second job
Cons
Quick write ups
No room for advancement
Cargo Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXApril 18, 2016
Con-way Freight was a great company to work for, that's if you would like to stay in one position without advancement. In most of their salary positions there is no room for advancement only room for raises which most of the time were only 2%. (the politics average) The best thing about the job is I learned the in's and out of cargo claim and its was never a dull moment.
Fast pace work environment
DOCK WORKER (Former Employee) –  Fridley, MNSeptember 21, 2016
Loading and unloading semi truck trailers all shift. Heavy forklift use. Spatial awareness is a key skill with this job. You can ask just about anyone for help or advice on any particular load.
Pros
You can work as much as you want
Cons
Somewhat repetitious
Boring and not enough interation with people
Administration and Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAApril 21, 2016
A typical work shift was spent on the computer entering bills. My typing and computer skills improved. The management played favoritism towards the mall. I enjoyed learning a new skill, but I need more interaction with people. I love helping people and talking. My coworkers were wonderful, best part of the job.
Good people to work with.
Customer Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXAugust 12, 2016
The company was very great to work for. You get to meet a wide variety of people. It's close knit. However, they should have a mandatory training for management 3 times a year.
Pros
option on lunch times
Cons
The management is very unorganized
Love my co-workers.
City Driver (Current Employee) –  Whitmore Lake, MISeptember 1, 2016
Management is terrible. Terminal manager is a manipulator. Doesn't trust anybody. Very hard to work for.Supervisors are unqualified. They don't understand how to perform their everyday functions correctly.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
Terrible management
Profit driven work load oriented company
Diesel Mechanic Apprentice (Current Employee) –  LaSalle, ILAugust 31, 2016
A fast paced, positive results, performance based company. Multiple advancement opportunities provided. employee oriented benefits and open with recognition for a job well done.
Exciting environment
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IASeptember 5, 2016
Con-way Freight was one of my favorite places to work, I was very sad when I decided to leave after moving away. All of the staff is fun and we all worked as a great team.
Pros
Safe environment
Cons
Long drive for me
Great company
Freight Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 18, 2016
Love working there. awesome mentorship. excellent room for advancement. fast paced and makes the time fly by. Friendly work environment. Safe place to work with minimal accidents.
Pros
advancement