Con-way Employee Reviews in United States

Decent pay, sucks to work for
Certified Dock Labor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 22, 2016
Management doesn't care or listen to drivers and. They only worry about whats best for themselves. A lot of issues start with them, and they don't like it when someone tells them so. if you want a family life, forget it. the hours that you have to put in to make a living don't allow any room for that. They always talk about safety this and that, but really its all about getting the job done fast and doesn't matter if its safe.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
benefits used to be great, but are sub par now
Con-way was great! XPO? Eh
Freight Operations supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Moved from JB Hunt to Con-way Freight because of the employee culture and the overall attitude of management towards people and the work/home balance. XPO took over in October and immediately laid off 600 people after stating they would not change anything within the first year. Freight is slow the first of the year and within 3 weeks XPO had laid off another 190 people. No value placed on people with XPO, all about the bottom dollar and bodies are expendable. Shame
A high-performance work culture, with a family feel to the team.
Sr. Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 3, 2015
Con-way was an exceptional company to work for. The culture was one of collaboration, team focus, and allowing you to work at a high-performance level.

Con-way encouraged a work-life balance that kept all coworkers helping each other to keep family in mind if they began to work to many hours.
Pros
Great pay, good benefits, open to suggestions
Cons
Too many projects implemented at a time.
great place to work
Field Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 7, 2016
Great place to work top management knows how to train and develop employees. Compensation is fair and competitive. Great team atmosphere.
Pros
good management
Cons
n/a
Not a bad place to work but management is lacking
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Romulus, MIJanuary 13, 2016
The job is fairly easy and pays well but management is very removed from the actual work that's being done. Bad decisions are made on what our hours should be or changes to the job because of this. If you work as a supervisor on the dock, expect long hours. Drivers also work long hours.
Great Co. to work for. Overall rating 4 stars
DSR Tractor trl driver (Former Employee) –  Braintree, MAFebruary 26, 2016
Enjoyed working for Con-Way Freight for 10 yrs . Great people and took care of their employee's. Good Pay, Good Benefits, Good Envirament. Great Co. for advancement. Retired from Con-way in 2014.
Dynamic LTL company
Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CAAugust 25, 2015
Depending on the location of the business unit, Con-way can be the greatest job or the worst job you could ever have. I had the pleasure of working at two great locations and have nothing but great things to say about the employees who worked there. Con-way is very challenging for management whose operational directives change often and frequently conflict with previous directives. If your looking to learn the ropes, work long hours and sacrifice a work/life balance, Con-way is a good company to work for.
Pros
Great way to learn LTL operations
Cons
Job security
Great pay got paid for everything you did
Local P/D Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Mundelein, ILJanuary 20, 2016
Its a good company to raise a family on and if you stick with it or can handle the line haul you will make good money here. I was more of a delivery driver than a p/d dock worker, so it just wasn't for me. Got along with all the drivers and they train you well
Pros
pay
Cons
dock work
Good benefits and job security
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Fife, WAOctober 12, 2015
What I liked most about working for Conway was that it taught me how to persevere under pressure, to stay strong when things get rough, and how to lead others.

My favorite time there was delivering to the Port Angeles area. I saw a beautiful part of the country I might not have discovered otherwise.

The hardest part of my job was not knowing when the work day would end. It could last anywhere between 8-12 or more hours depending on the work load, most days averaged 10. Being away from my family for that many hours a day was difficult. I would come home exhausted without much energy left.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hard to get any time off. Long hours
Culture varies widely
Dock Pilot (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 7, 2015
In one location, people stand around looking at their cell phones on the dock. In another, everybody stays busy throughout the shift. That says a lot about the people involved, but equally about the culture instilled by the service center management. Find a good location to work if you are an honest worker and don't want to be discouraged by the poor culture.

The base pay is great for forklift operators. Opportunities to become a driver or even advance in management are also abundant (depending on location, as well). The benefits are not great, and you don't get time-and-a-half overtime until 50 hours (as a dock worker), so be prepared to feel like the company doesn't value your time and effort when they force you to work 45+ hours a week.

The company tends to add steps to completing various work assignments without allowing for the time that it takes to complete the extra steps. They also changed how production rate was calculated without informing employees of the change, dropping individual production rates by 33% yet holding the same production expectations.
Pros
Generally good people in management, easy to work for.
Cons
Company doesn't value your time as much as you do.
Very business-like
office assistant (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHFebruary 16, 2016
Loved the majority of my coworkers. Management was not understanding. The position I worked was very slow I like to be busy
Pros
My coworkers
Cons
no benefits
Productive and Secure work Place
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 9, 2016
This job was an eye opener. Helped me gain fork-lift operator skills and taught me at a young age the seriousness of being on a workforce team, and how to bring value to my team. The management there was extremely structured, being that most of them came from the military. my coworkers where great! Nice people who helped me when I needed it along the way. The hardest part of the job was being able to keep up with the professionals at fist, but as time went on I got the hang of it. The most enjoyable part was the challenged CONWAY posed.
Pros
Network/ Skills obtained
Cons
opportunity structure
good people, horrible company
customer service (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MoAugust 2, 2015
Learned several jobs while employed here, each job was fast paced and stressful. Learned a lot about the transportation industry.
The management team consistently failed to be of any assistance. The management did not know how to do the jobs they were asking of their employees, so they could not help when employees where overwhelmed. The company as whole seemed to be losing money, therefore delayed yearly raises, sold needed equipment, and laid off quality employees to make year end budgets. I personally put in 3 years with the company and was promoted twice, but was laid off with NO advanced knowledge and for no reason other than being told my job was eliminated. I was not offered another position with the company even though I left in good standing, with no write-ups, no attendance issues, and with the knowledge to do at least 5 different jobs within the company. This company takes the word corporate to the next level, there is no loyalty to the employee and no job security. I do not recommend working for this company if you are looking for a career to invest your working life into.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management, stressfull environment, no job security
Current FOS
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milton PennsylvaniaJune 2, 2015
Hired on to work 50 hour weeks but usually worked much longer. Management was largely poorly educated and operations suffered as a result. It's a very old school, boys club, lets drink some Budweiser and hit the strip clubs after work kind of an environment outside of corporate, at the service center level. If you work at an operation with a night FAC or reship you could end up working nights for years. If you are working on the dock, and you almost certainly will be, prepare to come home with a face caked in forklift exhaust every night. Extensive exposure to the elements required since operations don't stop because of heat or cold.
Pros
Health insurance, 401k
Cons
Long hours, thankless grueling work, HIGH pressure, filthy environment.
Con-Way Freight
System Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXNovember 2, 2015
Con-Way was a good company with good benefits. I appreciated the culture of the Company. Communications at times seemed to be lacking, but in general they tried to do the right thing by their people.
Pros
Cons
Communication
Great place to Work
Driver Sales Representative Driver Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, WIApril 14, 2016
Work Hard and work Safely. Well compensated for your efforts. very much a safety first company. one of the highest paid positions compared to other less then truckload companies. The voice of the driver was very important to those in management. starting with the immediate supervisor up to the ceo. I would recommend a little less of the micro management of employees. the culture of the drivers is very close. you can ask for help with anything and others will give you a hand to get the job done
Pros
Safety, New Equipment, Strong managers
Cons
No breaks in the day. only a lunchtime (1/2 hour). in a 10 hour day that is all you are allowed
Con-way Freight Taken over by XPO Logistics Nov 2015
National Account Sales Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXJune 29, 2016
Pre- takeover:
Most of my co-workers were wonderful. The ones that stayed on their cell phones and avoided work were never called on it and those that worked the hardest were micromanaged. The hardest part of the job was the management was always changing, unavailable and they were indecisive. They kept adding work onto the team all in the name of being lean.

Takeover lay-offs were made on a personal basis, not on a professional basis.
Pros
Increased my skillsets & made some very good friends.
Cons
Too many personal politics were allowed to run unchecked
Wish I had not left
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 22, 2016
It was a great place to work. You will work long hard hours, but as a team you always get the job done. Great management and great team members.
Pros
Great management
Cons
60+ hours a week
Company is a back stabber
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMay 3, 2016
XPO/Con-way Freights UNprofessional higher management have small (manhood) syndrome. Act all tough behind the desk and think they are the cats meow when they have no idea what they are doing other than patting their own backs while sticking a fork in others backs.

Rules and regulations are unprofessional, as well as the employees who throw each other under the bus to save themselves. The gossip is unreal. Numerous of over 8 hour days with no lunch (DOT violation) until freight was brought back to terminal.

Employees that are the "pets" of the terminal get away with ANYTHING, from ripping off bumpers of trailers, not doing a pre trip and trailer axles(no hub oil) flying off on the highway to smoking inside the cab on on property (Against company policy!)
Pros
decent pay for the BS you have to deal with
Cons
management, supervisors are full of themselves, unless you're a pet of a supervisor/management you wont get any time off, co workers stab your back, after 8hours on the road still cant take lunch till freight was at the terminal (DOT violation)
What a sad excuse for an LTL company
Driver-Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 13, 2015
When I was hired last year at con-way I was told they were one of the best in the country. Bwahahaha, they are delusional. The Reno terminal is a wreck. Mis-managed and crumbling.

They make drivers literally sit around for hours after being told to come in. Then they tell you if you want to get paid you can always work the dock while you wait.mind you, this is prior to your potential 10-14 hour run. Conway works you like a dog they constantly will work you until your 16. There's no care for drivers. I can't believe they haven't unionized yet. I can't believe some drivers take it. Oh man and that great equipment, 4 breakdowns in 2 months. All the tricks have the check engine light on. Forklifts run like garbage.

Conway was recently purchased by XPO logistics. There is so much water time and money in this company XPO needs to fix this sinking ship fast. Conway (XPO) literally has the mentality of "make the freight fit." That goes a long way down the pipe of how employees are treated. Working for an fac or dock is miserable and you are treated like scum. Held to work the dock for hours.

I broke down 4 hours away from my home terminal one day. The management at the nearest location handed me the keys to their car and said a driver from your home terminal will be here in 4 hours to take you back, go nap in my car. Pathetic! Cheap!

Unless you are a glutton for punishment, I suggest you stay far away from XPO/ Conway. You will work for free and have no life of your own.

Safety first ha!
Pros
None; benefits are expensive
Cons
14-16 hour days, horrible mgmt, free labor, lies

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Con-way. Our community is ready to answer.