Con-way

Con-way Employer Reviews

Challenging Industry
Assistant Service Center Manager (Former Employee), Santa Fe Springs, CAJuly 17, 2014
Con-way was a good company to work for - one which provided opportunities for advancement. The work-life balance was challenged at times given the demands of the job, as well as the industry.
no sense of teamwork or training
dock worker (Former Employee), san antonioJuly 14, 2014
Pros: good starting pay
Cons: no teamwork or leadership
The supposed training they gave me was telling me alright this is what we do now go do it. Then other workers who I thought were helping me train by teaching me the ropes were actually taking credit for my scans/motor moves, so their numbers looked good while mine looked like i was doing nothing all night. This led to me being written up for performance – more... after just 2 weeks on the dock, still in my probation period. – less
Outstanding trucking company
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJuly 10, 2014
Pros: late model trucks, expertly maintained equipment, steady freight and miles
Cons: being away from home, slightly lower than average per mile pay
Con-Way Truckload is one of the few large trucking companies that actually cares about their drivers and treats them with respect. Any issues that ever arose were handled swiftly and to my satisfaction. They pay slightly less than some companies, but the other benefits they offer (pet, rider policy, home time, etc.) more than make up for that. They – more... always got me home within 7 days of requesting time off, was allowed to drive the truck home, and could take as many consecutive days off as you earned. They run you as hard as you want and I was able to average 2,200 miles a week with some weeks hitting as high as 4,000 miles. – less
Productive and fun place to work
DRIVER SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCJuly 10, 2014
Operate commercial motor vehicles in urban, suburban, and rural areas in all weather conditions. Load and unload freight with a forklift under varying conditions at company and customer facilities. When pickups and deliveries are completed, returns to the facility and follows appropriate checkout procedures.
HR Supervisor (Former Employee), Reston VAJuly 10, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: short breaks
I enjoyed working with my team. Learned a lot throughout my year of working.
Nice lunch room.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Gary, INJuly 8, 2014
Moving freight all day,I learned how to move odd objects.Management is fair and my co-works are a nice bunch of guys.There are no hard parts.The most enjoyable part is the challenge.
OTR truck driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJune 30, 2014
Work day 14 hour on duty.11 hours driving.
To many hours for the pay
Management talked to on the phone
co-workers none in truck alone.
Hardest part shift in driving from AM to PM
Enjoyed going home
Decent COmpany
FREIGHT OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Trenton, NJJune 30, 2014
Pros: decent pay
Cons: longhours
Management in this company are mostly older not very friendly.
Drivers are mostly friendly and easy going.
Not the best place to work unles you enjoy a negative atmosphere
Sr. Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), North Richland Hills, TxJune 28, 2014
Pros: fun parties, activities
Cons: low work morale, awful training, not a team oriented atmosphere
The training was awful, I sat beside a girl for 3 days then she moved to a whole different dept, so I was thrown to the sharks. One of the ladies on my team was a drama queen, If you put on lotion she would put on show by coughing up a lung, she was under the impression someone made her the boss. She complained about EVERYTHING and I couldn't continue – more... to work in such a negative, unfulfilling workplace. – less
not great
Freight Operations Manager (Former Employee), plainfieldJune 28, 2014
Cons: hours
not great pay management good benefits and bonus to move up you have to transfer all over the country
Poor Safety
Forklift Operator/ Freight Handler (Former Employee), LaSalle, ILJune 26, 2014
Very rarely did a day go by without a hit to there safety record...
A good starter job
Material Handling Team Lead (Former Employee), South Bend, INJune 22, 2014
The management was nice and caring. Typical day unload and load truck until they are all done. Co-workers were all nice for the most part, some drivers were not the nicest.
OVER TIME
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fontana, CAJune 20, 2014
Pros: team player
HOURLY WAGES GOOD
DOCK AND DRIVER BENEFITS
FREE LUNCH
MATCH 401 K
THREE WEEKS VACATION ANNUAL AND ROLL IT OVER
UNIFORM
worst place to work
driver (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaJune 17, 2014
Pros: nothing!
Cons: dock worker 90% of the time not going to drive
This place starts you at a great rate but you are ether working 14+hours a day or not working at all I have worked here for 2 years and 90% of my time has been on a forklift. Through the winter don't count on working because you won't. The benefits are horrible and there management is the same you are on what they call a flex board you are on call from – more... 4 pm to 4 am or 4 am to 4 pm Monday through Saturday they tell you that you have holidays off but you work them. This is the worst job I have ever worked in my life! 99% of new hires quit within 3 months just ask them in your interview.......looking for another job now that's why I'm on this site... – less
Co-workers make the job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Warren, MIJune 15, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: shifts are bid by seniority every year, so if you are new you are at risk of losing your shift/job every year.
I have excellent co-workers who really fill in the training gaps where the company leaves off. Great pay and benefits, unheard of these days in fact.
Downhill
Freight Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), OHJune 13, 2014
Pros: steady paycheck
Cons: long hours, no creativity, no voice.
CCX the precursor to Con-way was a great place to learn and grow. However, since the branding change and growth of the company front line supervisors have no voice and are constantly forced to accept new programs that have no basis and achieve no goals.
Con-Way in flux.
Driver (Current Employee), MinnesotaJune 13, 2014
Cons: no pension. terrible vehicle maintenance.
Con-ways tried and true no touch management style has succumb to the corporate world. Recently installed shift monitors and in cab cameras that are looked at every time they go off (not just referenced after an accident) installed at the end of the year, in loo of paying worker bonuses, lead to driver coaching and possible reprimands. Annual bids mean – more... annual change and every year they try the same old strategy's that didn't work last year.

There system is tight and works well until a small problem arises then it fails region wide. This could be weather or a management fail at one facility, that causes late departures, will affect an entire region. Sadly a management fail is more common than weather. – less
Could be so much more...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), United StatesJune 10, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else (please see my full review)
This company has the potential to be an amazing company. At this time they are in a cost saving downswing and the employees are suffering.

When I started several years ago the company seems to have things figured out. They were implementing Lean and the culture/morale was good. I enjoyed coming to work and the people I worked with.

Since then the – more... Con-way has rolled out program after failed program. Service centers are barely recovered from one morale crushing program when corporate forces out the next. They are outsourcing IT and have started making moves to centralized billing. My location is hemorrhaging business because of many of these changes.

Within 3 months of being employed at this company I received my first Letter of Instruction for an infraction they couldn't even prove. Let me put this into perspective, I am in my late 30s and have NEVER received any sort of discipline from a job. I never even had detention in school. It almost felt like they were making a case to terminate me from the second I walked in the door. All the while the true offenders (typically, but not always in a supervisor or management position) get by unscathed. Please don't think this is a disgruntled employee trying to damage a company's reputation. I am truly sincere when I warn potential employees that the company is struggling at this time. It is my honest hope that they can get things turned around because they really do have potential.

If you are young and intend to use this job as a stepping stone then you can gain some valuable experience. Just do not expect to be at this company long term unless they turn things around. – less
Dependent on what you are looking for.
Operations (Current Employee), MIJune 6, 2014
Pros: competitive pay and benefits
Cons: lack of management involvement, equating to lots of changes that do not correlate well with the reality of the business operations.
A great place to learn, if you are self driven.
The company had a great reputation when I came here and seemed to really care about everyone. Over the last year working in operations, there have been a lot of changes and no one seems to care about fixing the problems anymore.
Good Place to Work
Analyst (Former Employee), MichiganJune 3, 2014
Pros: flexible, caring company, solid benefits.
Cons: lack of opportunity
Pretty easy job overall, got boring. Management seems to care but nothing seems to change. Felt as though I was promised opportunity when I interviewed but nothing seems to come to fruition.

Friendly and helpful staff/management for the most part seemed to offset a lot of the issues.

1 2 3 4 5

About Con-way

Con-way Inc. is a freight transportation and logistics services company headquartered in Ann Arbor, Mich. Con-way delivers industry-leading – Read more