Con-way Employee Reviews

Con-way Pays Good but Horrible Work/Life Balance and Horrible Environment
DSR (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 3, 2015
Con-way drivers are called Driver Sales Representatives(DSR's). As a driver you will "bid"(Con-way calls this job selection to get away from union terms) City(senior guys), Day Linehaul(senior guys),AM flex, Dockworker, Night linehaul(senior guys), PM Flex. You will maybe after 5-6 years get a location "bid" for your linehaul or city run.

You will slip-seat trucks and receive a different truck everyday. Con-way claims half their fleet are modern freightliner trucks. Lies. Con-way has a few freightliners that only senior guys will drive while 98% of the time you will be driving a sterling(ford) truck that matches the same sterlings built since the 80's. Granted they do have A/C, but no radio, and no cruise control, and they are 7-speed.

Con-way still uses paperlogs and will continue as long as they can until it's mandatory so drivers can make their cut-times, and Con-way don't have to manage their Hours of Service so closely.

I honestly look for Con-way to keep losing, losing, and losing business because they damage so much freight. The only reason they have half the freight they have is because companies know they can ship through Con-way and it'll get damaged and they'll get it shipped for free. This is great, at first, but over time companies and their customers get tired of having to ship things multiple times and go elsewhere. If you ship through Con-way and want your product delivered damage-free you better pack it like a tank.

Con-way uses the cheapest sub-service carriers(outside carriers) every day even if they have their own drivers sitting on the dock
  more... at the terminal.

The work environment at Con-way is toxic, toxic, toxic. They don't follow their own policies, and management favoritism is very rampant.

Con-way has been around for a long time and has many old-timer bosses and workers that don't care about anything or anyone but themselves.

Con-way is not innovative and is very behind times in every aspect of the company from the way you dispatch, to your BIL(Manifest), to how you load trailers, to their handhelds.

Con-way talks a good game until you get on the dock and realize half of what you were told is smoke-and-mirrors.

Con-way is basically a fast-food job on stilts(Pay). They offer basically no retirement(401k with NO match), and no predictability on your start-time or destination.) They are not good at explaining their policies either. Actually, they don't explain them at all. You come in one day and do something the same way you always did it and then the following day get a message saying you did it wrong and you're suppose to do it this way. However, noone told you the policy changed.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything is terrible except pay.
Take time to really investgate and research Con-Way
Driver, Supervisor, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  SacramentoApril 1, 2013
Like most strong professional companies, all of them possess and follow the guidelines of their own P & P (Policies & Procedures) manual. I am a firm believer the P & P's lay a solid foundation for the company and the employees. It is extremely important to clearly conveyed properly the intentions of each policy to ALL employees, management included. In my 21 years with this company, on many occasions I witnessed managers twist the true meaning of an individual policy to better benefit their operation or help support their disciplinary action against an employee. Remember these "Rules" or "Laws" submitted to every employee at the time of hire are written by a team of lawyers. The context is written within a fine line allowing the interpretation to be adjusted for the companies benefit if needed. It is very important to understand this at the onset of employment and adjust your work ethics accordingly.
Now as I stated earlier, I was an employee for 21 years until my forced medical retirement. My point is Con-Way did offer many great benefits, pay, and other programs other companies in the transportation industry don't offer. If I may suggest, really do your homework before deciding on a company you want to make a solid career with and then go for it.
I had a work related injury with Con-way which eventually required many hours of surgery. Complications prolonged my recovery and I exceeded the amount of time the companies LOA (Leave of Absence) policy allowed. I was told by several co-workers who I worked with as a driver and finishing my career as a part of the management team,
  more... a conversation was overheard by two management personnel about my return to work in the position I vacated to have surgery. One of them would have had to step down as my replacement. The two of them determined they would do everything possible to sabotage my return which was accomplished. Unfortunately none of my co-workers could testify to this fact do to retaliation that would have clearly follow.
With this being said, Con-way is a good company with good benefits. They assisted me in many areas while employed with them. You need to remember your hired to perform your job duties and assist the company with obtaining their financial goals, the bottom line almighty dollar! Just remember all companies have individuals who cause problems and lack a solid work ethic and personal morals to do what's right. I hope this helps and good luck in your search for a reputable company.
Pros
wages and benefits
Cons
unethical practices and lack of moral principles
Your experience all rides on the service center manager
Driver Sales Rep/ Delivery (Current Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaSeptember 15, 2014
I've now worked for Conway freight just under 2 years. They do pay well and honestly the hours and job are not terrible. I came into this job wide eyed and hoping for a career. However you get disenfranchised quickly. Advancing and moving up is not much of an option. You make more as a driver than Admin. With all that being said I have never done a good job or ever done anything right. No matter how much you give or how much extra you put in they ask for more and DO NOT CARE. I've been a dedicated employee and have been asked to do extra services for them. Showing that there is trust and confidence in how I preform my duties. However as soon as there is a problem there is no history the trust that you have accrued and invested dissipates and they look at you like a vagrant that just walked in off the street. I'm completely sick of going to a job that at any moment of any day you could get fired. Safety is only a convenient belief to Conway. If it gets in the way of production - safety takes the Backseat. The attitude and culture is truly based off the service center manager and here in So CAL. There are not many good ones. And all the supporting staff above and around are all buddies. Your safety guy and local HR representative all buddies. So not much goes up the ladder. Think long and hard before you decide to hang your hat here. I've seen people get suspended for little things. They put 100 percent of the problem or issue on the drivers. Even if the driver didn't get the support they needed from Dispatch. It Dose not matter at that point they will wield safety like an ax  more... and do all they can to take the focus off of them. However if you claim something was not safe they will ask ask ask and re-ask why you did what you did. Just think about it fright is already a tough industry with slow and busy seasons. Then to add on top the pride and egos of those above you it make it a very frustrating place to work. You know how long someone has worked at Conway based off the opinion they have. Most people it take less then a year for them to dispise this cooperation. However if you want to be a cog like me... Go ahead and apply they always need new employees!  less
Pros
pay
Cons
job security, support, attitudes of management
Productive and Welcoming Cozy Workplace
Biller Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAOctober 9, 2014
A typical day at work involved arriving late afternoon to begin answering customer phone inquiries for an hour or two while trying to achieve incoming driver bill processing into freight bills for the outbound deliveries, bill quota, assist callers with ETA regarding nightly deliveries, then finishing the last three hours getting all the bills finished and counted before leaving. Management for what it is does ok being all male and surviving within the confines of the small office (in comparison to other Con-way local branch offices) against all female billers/CS reps. That noted, like all of us - it has room for improvement and mainly with scheduling as the beginning of the year months work there was so slow there wasn't enough work to even keep me scheduled but possibly there isn't a fix for that (I don't know). The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is a pretty cohesive group though at Con-way which aside from occasional heavy/stressful bill load makes it a pleasant company to work for. The hardest part of the job and one thing that should be cautioned though is the Heavy Data Entry part of the job description. Unfortunately during my time with the company it meant HEAVY to the point of 80% of the billers all requiring being professionally medically treated for wrist/arm pain due to the physical strain of that requirement. I don't know what the current situation is, but hopefully that rate has been since attended to accordingly and with proper care so they girls are doing better. If not hopefully the right people read this and take action to do so. : ) Not sure  more... if the Job Culture got its stars above but I give it 4/5 for a total of 25/30 stars overall.  less
Pros
pleasant staff
Cons
heavy data entry quota, scheduling needing improvement
Nice people, but the corporate hierarchy doesn't have any idea what's going on.
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Greencastle, PAJune 24, 2012
I thought this company was good at first, until I learned more.
The pay was pretty good. The hours were generous.

The benefits package is awful. You're paying a whole lot of money out of pocket.

They don't really care about customers or employees. Their drivers come in last along with their fulltime dockworkers. Next in line would be supervisors, who are treated as minimally important as well.

It's very cold or very hot, so expect to be basically outside all day.

They rarely repair equipment. Hosslers/Switchers sometimes lose parts and never get repaired. Trucks are sometimes not in great shape. Some forklifts are lacking of important parts.

It's a general "darned if you do, darned if you don't atmosphere", where you are always to blame, all the time. The management is always on the offensive at this place. This is partially because they seem to be put on the defense by upper management as well. Nearly every dockworker I knew was afraid for their job on a daily basis.

If you work the dock or drive truck, you can advance in seniority. In order to go anywhere above that, you need a degree. Saying that, any kid with a bachelor's degree who knows virtually nothing about freight can manage.

The hours are very long. Expect to work at least 12 hours a day and very hard. This is true for everyone except those in the office and those who drive a short distance run.

I liked the fact that the pay was good and you got long hours, but it's hard work and after a while it wears on you. They try to squeeze as much work out of you as they can before they need to hire more employees.
  more...

The major redeeming quality was, I liked the people I worked with as my peers. They were really a great bunch. It made the job more pleasant, as it would any job.
Pros
relatively decent wage, decent amount of hours, nice people
Cons
little advancement, out of touch corporate, work you like a dog, bad benefits package, bad work atmosphere
Productive, and fun work place
Accounts Receivable Credit/Collections (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORNovember 4, 2014
A typical day at Con-Way began with Reviewing customer invoices for accuracy and mailing them off. Then reviewing and responding to consistent alerts from brokerage requesting credit on new or existing customers, along with setting up new carriers for multimodal and menlo worldwide when the help was needed. Followed by collections on past due accounts sending emails, making phone calls or mailing requests for payment, and documenting my efforts, or ability to collect and resolve. Posting the previous days credit card payments on an excel spreadsheet for cash applications review. Would also assist with the Cash app rep when needed to insure proper cash application of the customers remittance. Sending Trade reference inquiry request for customers needing credit. Processing credit cards for payment on future and existing shipments. Reconciling accounts, and processing request for vouchers. and varies duties as assigned. I learned about the transportation industry daily from customers and co-workers, I also learned more about how to handle and resolve past due accounts with difficult customers in the this industry. Management was available for assistance whenever needed, some bigger accounts required credit requests outside of our allocation. My co-workers alternated breaks and lunches, so we were always helping each other out with customers, requests, credit cards processing . We took on each others customer as our own when necessary. The hardest part of my day would be when reviewing credit reports for customers that did not qualify for credit, after they spent time with brokerage  more... gathering information to process their requests to A/R only to be reviewed and denied while their shipments are needing to be ships right then and there, they were never happy about it. The most enjoyable part of my day would have to be assisting my customers and the brokerage department, answering questions, making account corrections, just giving them all one less thing to worry about.  less
Pros
independency, and ability to grow and learn more
Okay to work if you are a hardworker but they treat you like a 2nd class worker
DSR (Current Employee) –  Franklin,WIApril 22, 2013
I've been here just over a year, this is the most depressing place I have ever worked at. Coworkers are nice and you wouldn't say so just walking the dock like management does but it is. To many chiefs here. Lean program is a joke, we have 2 guys getting paid $30/hour to do maintenance duties and they work 10-12 hour days while people who want to be in the program are basically just pushed to the side. Work is based on senority. New people less than 2 years with company don't drive much. I still work the dock like 80% of the time. Didn't drive a tractor outside the yard for the first 2 months here. Now I have a few people below me and they get alot of the night city work while I get passed because they bring me in before them so I get 8 hours if I'm lucky. Dock, dock, dock, thats top priorty for newer employees. And if you forget something or misload freight, management will call you over and you gotta explain yourself..Don't expect to get good shifts, Mondays and Fridays are always late nights so don't expect to get off early like you do tues/wed/thursdays. Seems like this place was better to work for before Conway Corporate took over and made a third of the workforce chiefs and everyone else indians. People who work the hardest like dock workers/newer drivers do alot of the gruntwork and get paid the least

I would rate this company as a 5 out of 10, you get paid well and is good place to get experience then get the f*** out. I wouldnt work here long term because I don't trust them and I really see this company as a place that changes their policies/procedures from week to
  more... week just to get old-timers to screw up so they can get rid of them for lower paid employees  less
Pros
pay
Cons
too many chiefs, less and less goodies
Could be so much more...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 10, 2014
This company has the potential to be an amazing company. At this time they are in a cost saving downswing and the employees are suffering.

When I started several years ago the company seems to have things figured out. They were implementing Lean and the culture/morale was good. I enjoyed coming to work and the people I worked with.

Since then the Con-way has rolled out program after failed program. Service centers are barely recovered from one morale crushing program when corporate forces out the next. They are outsourcing IT and have started making moves to centralized billing. My location is hemorrhaging business because of many of these changes.

Within 3 months of being employed at this company I received my first Letter of Instruction for an infraction they couldn't even prove. Let me put this into perspective, I am in my late 30s and have NEVER received any sort of discipline from a job. I never even had detention in school. It almost felt like they were making a case to terminate me from the second I walked in the door. All the while the true offenders (typically, but not always in a supervisor or management position) get by unscathed. Please don't think this is a disgruntled employee trying to damage a company's reputation. I am truly sincere when I warn potential employees that the company is struggling at this time. It is my honest hope that they can get things turned around because they really do have potential.

If you are young and intend to use this job as a stepping stone then you can gain some valuable experience. Just do not expect to be at this company long
  more... term unless they turn things around.  less
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else (please see my full review)
What a sad excuse for an LTL company
Driver-Dockworker (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 13, 2015
When I was hired last year at con-way I was told they were one of the best in the country. Bwahahaha, they are delusional. The Reno terminal is a wreck. Mis-managed and crumbling.

They make drivers literally sit around for hours after being told to come in. Then they tell you if you want to get paid you can always work the dock while you wait.mind you, this is prior to your potential 10-14 hour run. Conway works you like a dog they constantly will work you until your 16. There's no care for drivers. I can't believe they haven't unionized yet. I can't believe some drivers take it. Oh man and that great equipment, 4 breakdowns in 2 months. All the tricks have the check engine light on. Forklifts run like garbage.

Conway was recently purchased by XPO logistics. There is so much water time and money in this company XPO needs to fix this sinking ship fast. Conway (XPO) literally has the mentality of "make the freight fit." That goes a long way down the pipe of how employees are treated. Working for an fac or dock is miserable and you are treated like scum. Held to work the dock for hours.

I broke down 4 hours away from my home terminal one day. The management at the nearest location handed me the keys to their car and said a driver from your home terminal will be here in 4 hours to take you back, go nap in my car. Pathetic! Cheap!

Unless you are a glutton for punishment, I suggest you stay far away from XPO/ Conway. You will work for free and have no life of your own.

Safety first ha!
Pros
None; benefits are expensive
Cons
14-16 hour days, horrible mgmt, free labor, lies
They don't walk the walk
Driver (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILApril 8, 2013
Typical day as driver, you go in, get assignment, work dock, leave on route, work your butt off, take half a break if you're lucky, come back and work dock. That is after you spent a year on the dock, working whenever they told you to, or not to. First year is tough. Don't bother to try this if you are not going to stick up for yourself or you are anything but a white guy.

Benefits and pay are good. Many co-workers are good. Some won't like you no matter what you do or say. There is so much back-stabbing and back-biting from other drivers. The scars you will have after one month will make you wonder if the job is worth it.

Working in the office is good if you get a day job, unless you make a mistake. If that happens, the office manager will call you out in front of everyone and humiliate you. If you are fast, you can do your work and then sell stuff while on the clock or look for houses.

The weights and inspections people do the least amount of work as anyone there. One guy smokes for about 3 hours during his shift. Another gal has a photography business that she concentrates on more than her job. A third guy spends more time playing words with friends or looking at houses while on his shift. This would be the job to get.

Safety is the number one core value, unless it gets in the way of you actually doing a pre-trip or getting down the road. Don't be stopping. They monitor you for everything and unless you are one of the favorites, you will not get away with it.

Their policy should be "be tough, get good or get out" and don't question anything that management does.
benefits
Cons
unfair treatment of some employees, especially women and minorities.

Comment – April 14, 2013

this is soo true! im trying to get out of conway as I type. All of that is also true here in houston especially about the inspectors!

LYING RELENTLESS TYRANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSR (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MA sic code XWOApril 25, 2013
Every day the management makes new rules. You did notice the criteria for the DSR job posting, did you not? Of course, management and select DSR's don't have to follow these rules - only select employees have to follow all of these rules, and the management is relentless in enforcing rules on certain individuals, threatening your employment with the company at all times,and attacking your integrity, which Con-way says is one of THEIR four core values. If the management does something wrong, they deny it and even adamantly lie because they can never be wrong! There is no mistake so great as that of being always right! Con-way is the ultimate rat race. They get the new guys to drink the kool-aid, and they volunteer to help train professional drivers that have been doing the job for twenty years. Everything is based on seniority, so the more these new guys can rat people out, the better their chances of moving up in the pecking order. Meanwhile, these guys swear all they want and even have physical fights on the premises in front of management without the automatic termination that goes along with these offenses for the select few. It's all about that five dollar an hour difference in pay. If you get that far, you'll probably regret what it took to get there. If you're considering going to work for Con-way, you should ask other drivers, specifically drivers working in the LTL (less than truckload) freight industry. There are worse companies and there are better companies.
Pros
going home at the end of my work day.
Cons
wondering what they wrote me up for before i got to work that day.
Happy with the move to Con-Way Freight
DSR (Current Employee) –  Midwest X??August 26, 2012
I've been here 6 weeks and I came over here with 15 months experience at Vitran Express. I was already doing night line-haul so I figured that I might as well be compensated better for my efforts, along with the sacrifices of missing school functions with my teenagers, etc, etc...If you’re a driver you already know the drill.

The expectations are higher here, and to be honest I'm doing my best to live to their standards which I can say, it's been a long time since I've been challenged by an employer to do to. Long hours, not what I would call "back breaking" work, but you will earn your pay.

Stay awake, keep it between the lines, listen to what the veteran drivers have to say, and pay attention! I had a driver tell me the most perfect analogy...."If you can do 2 you can do 20." He was talking about years of service. Keep your eyes on the small goals; get past your first 30 days, 90 days, 6 months, and 1 year.

It will be more manageable climbing the hill if you take a look at the next few steps ahead of you. Jump through the hoops if applicable and do your time! Give 110% and you'll feel good and tired at the end of the day.

I hope this review was helpful to you, and happy trails!
Pros
plenty of work to be had, helpful co-workers and staff.
Cons
i don't know, i don't really cry about stuff. i work....i go home. :)
a joke
DSR (Former Employee) –  garland, dallas, txJanuary 30, 2015
safety guy is a complete dope. Walks around sipping coffee and playing pocket pool with himself.

HE Does nothing productive other than walk around sipping on coffee and gossiping like a school girl. He will also spend hours making fun of drivers on drive cam. Yes, ConWay has cameras in all of their trucks!!!! lol what a joke!

Dock supervisor gets all jacked up on monster drinks, chewing tobacco and cocaine then yells obscenities to everyone on the dock. Complete incompetent ignorant backwoods douche.

Be prepared to work dock 10-14 hours a day during your first 2 years(if you make it 2 years). Most drivers quit after a few weeks. ConWay is always hiring.

Handheld scanners are a joke. Constantly breaking down or not connecting to system.

Dock workers will put Hazmat on WRONG trailer then bury it in the nose of trailer making it impossible for the P&D driver to know it's there until hours later when delivering freight!!! lol!!! So driver has been driving around most of the day with hazmat on trailer but hasn't a clue since it's buried in nose of trailer with other freight. If you bring it to Dock Supervisors attention, He will blame it on you.
Most disorganized place I EVER worked for. Supervisors will throw you under the bus for any infraction. NOTHING is ever their fault.

Service center manager ran by clueless young boy.

A joke of an atmosphere, 99% of drivers there hate the place and are always fantasizing about getting a new job elsewhere.
Cons
everything
Good job for young guy living at home with mommy and daddy
Driver Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Houston, TxFebruary 9, 2013
This is a good job for someone who just turned 21 and is living with their parents. If you have 3-5 years to wait to gain some seniority and don't have any grown folks bills then this is a good fit for you. Everything is based on seniority here. EVERYTHING! The equipment you get to use when you first start is old & unreliable with no comforts whatsoever. Like a/c,air ride, radio, or even a comfortable clean seat to sit on. During the slow winter season you don't even get to drive, you become a dock worker and you work about 4-5 hrs a day 20-25 a week. That's from October till about middle of march. Like I said it is a good company to work for when you get some years under your belt. You get better/cheaper insurance and better treatment too, you get to drive better equipment and even make good money while your here. If you are a man with a family and don't have 3-5 years to wait it out and weather the storm than keep on looking somewhere else.
Pros
safety oriented, work is not hard
Cons
overtime pay after 50 hrs, high deductible insurance, no vision or dental till after 1 year, evrything based on senority so you have to wait 3-5 years to receive better treatment, alot of favoritism going on, management doesnt manage people well, freight is inconsistent and really slow in the winter, dispatch is ok on most days, equipment when you first start is way below average
Team playing and these guys shown me how to look ahead and plan the trip at the start oif the day. to that goal we worked.
Route Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTOctober 24, 2015
A moderate past morning detail do to safety purposes breaking trailers at a satellite dock with no heat and in Montana. A good safety oriented company focused on efficiency and customer service and satisfaction. I believe most of our drivers were team players. We operated by company protocol with permission to operate freely outside of protocol if permission was obtained from the main terminal Manager. Because we were at a isolated terminal we had no supervisors on location so it was advantageous for all to work together. The hardest part of the job was the long days servicing Eastern Montana and Western North Dakota where the temperature dropped to minus thirty below zero. Although Engine heaters were used often, Vehicles engines would not always start and slowed our progress. Although for the most part driving tractor trailers was enjoyable and sometime challenging especially in the winters. In any position I worked I always found people to learn from and developed new techniques and these guys did help me to look ahead and plan my delivery day before the morning started. Learning these kind of positive techniques are always challenging and fun.
Pros
Coffee and donutes were always a good treat. Most Drivers and staff were dedicated and helpful.
Cons
Long work day left little for personal time and responsibilities
Good pay, inconsistent supervisors, favoritism.
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CASeptember 2, 2014
I worked for Con-way for 3 1/2 years, wasnt a terrible place to work but far from the best. They pride themselves on being family and employee oriented but that couldn't be further from the truth. typical day for a driver. Get your truck, hook to whatever kind of trailer dispatch tells you to get, spend about 9-10 hours in the city doing PU and deliveries, then when you get back you are expected to check in. whether you were told to or not, you have to check in. however this on applies to certain people. some go straight home and nothing is said, other go home with them and get written up. the FOM and one other supervisor on FAC shift are the worst. Mark stapleton and Mark robel both violated a companys core value yet they retain their positions. Integrity. They both need to look up what that means. If you need a job and can somehow avoid ever having to make contact with them, then this place isnt too bad. If you are forced to work the FAC shift, might as well keep your resume updated because you wont be there long.
Pros
pay, time off, free uniforms, new equipment
Cons
mark stapleton and mark robel, bad work life balance
bad management and training
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MSFebruary 15, 2014
I have ran flex board starting off, then went to city. The time off and benefits was good. The work was not bad, the main problem at this terminal was the management. They do no direct training, and if you do something wrong that you didn't know about, they sometimes retaliate by giving you hand-freight runs. When there is a problem or suggestion about a driver, the management don't come to you directly, the gossip about the driver to other management and their favorite drivers, basically through a rumor. They always preach about safety in the meetings, but they're always rushing you. If you are a driver that actually does a pretrip inspection and want to do things right, those are the people they don't like and always be watching. Just about all the managers who works in the morning time including the terminal manager needs to be fired and also the driver trainer. The shop does a good job of fixing problems when you take to trucks to them. Conway needs to get rid of all the old, raggedy rental trailers; the shop can't fix them because that's not their trailers, instead you have rely on the "managers" to call a vendor to get it fixed, but it never gets done. The managers that are good either are dock managers or they get transferred to another terminal. If the right managers was in place, this wouldn't be a bad place to work. I don't know how things are at other terminals, but this terminal was terrible.
Pros
benefits, 15 days pto time a year, shop fixes equipment.
Cons
terrible management, always rushed, managers gossip about drivers
Great benefits after after one year and 3 months of steady employment.
Dock Worker/ Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAJanuary 28, 2014
Conway freight Pasco, is a brand-new and state-of-the-art facility. Just like any company there are politics and when there's politics the morale of the staff is like a roller coaster. This is extremely hard, dirty and exhausting work. Over time it's expected of the dockworker regardless if your asked or not and the hourly wage along with over time is not enough to support a family who relies on a single income, but it beats unemployment. Benefits are not offered until after 90 days which are minimal once you hit one year and three months the employee is offered advanced and better health benefits. In the worst-case scenario once training is complete the dockworker would most likely work the night shift which consists of a eight hour schedule, but will be expected to work anywhere from 10 to 12 hours five days a week. Advancement is slow unless the dockworker is wanting obtain a CDL, which Conway freight provides the training and will be paid a dockworker's wage until completion of the CDL. Management is notorious to be favorable certain employees and also operate in a micromanaging manner, but one manager is very cooperative. This is a very high stressed work environment.
Pros
great benefits after one year and three months
Cons
high stress, micromanagement, favoritism towards other employees, very political
Bad place to work. Promise you everything to get you there.
Senior Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 1, 2013
This company is terrible under the new management. Back in the day it was a great place to work. I did business with them going back to 1986 so I know.
Be wary of promises to get you on board because the politics here are out of control with lower management and upper management doesn't have a clue about what their employees are going through.
Co-workers were great but all everyone talked about was getting out of there as soon as they could. The hardest part of the job was when they trimmed the workforce to bare bones, all remaining employees had to pick up the additional work.
I was salary and was part of the team helping to consolidate the company back in 2008, after 12-14 hour days, seven days a week for three months I took a day off and my next check was shy a days pay. What kind of salary is that anyway?
If you have to take a job here just to pay your bills be fore warned that you have to smile and agree with all the boss's, even (especially when they are wrong). If you don't they will ride you right out the door. They will make your life so miserable you'll wish you never heard of Con-way!
Cons
too many to write, i have better things to do with my time!
The worst company in trucking to work for.....
Previous Driver (Former Employee) –  MichiganJanuary 10, 2015
No life if you have a family. Majority of supervisors are a bunch of mindless pricks. Cameras in trucks, will write you up for every little infraction. The company treats its drivers as glorified dock workers with a CDL. Guys with 20 yrs leaving and going to other companies because of the moronic decisions that are made by the upper ups in the company.You'll spend more time driving a hi-low than you will a truck. Get used to being on the dock for 7 up to 9 hrs a night. No OT straight time. Health Insurance is horrible. Deductible is ridiculously high. Out of all the companies i worked for over the years this is by far the worst one in trucking. They will tell you how great Con-Way is but its all a bunch lies. You talk with guys from other terminals and about 95% of them hate the company. Con-way does not respect their drivers treats them as if they were less than human. Don't believe all the hype by so called happy drivers its alot of BS.
Pros
when the day was over, co workers
Cons
no ot straight time only, no family life, get used to 14-16 hr days, incompetent supervisors, camera's in trucks, working every saturday, lousy health insurance, being written up for every little infraction, so many points from write up you get terminated