Con-way Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging learning experience over the road
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOJanuary 27, 2014
A typical day for me is pickup and deliver cargo on time. If help is needed with a load or some time of help is required I contact my despatcher. After every load I complete a log book for DOT purposes. Working here at Conway Truckload I have learned that it is very important that I pickup and deliver every load on time and not a minute late. I have never been late on a load but was told the consequences if a load was to be late. I am a solo driver so if I see any of my co-workers it would be at a truck stop and/or rest area for a short period time and gone again. The hardest part about this job is driving in the bad weathers; like snow storms, rain storms, and high windy areas. You must stay focused and always alert at all times. Lost of accidents happen over the road and its get a little overwhelming seeing other trucks in accidents. But overall I manage the job well. The most enjoyable part of the job is going through the different states. I live in Florida and I have never been out of the state until I began my career in trucking. For the most part I love what I do.
Pros
not home as often, not able to see my family
Cons
good benefits
driver
driver (Former Employee) –  Franklin wiJanuary 23, 2015
I worked out of the franklin wi terminal as a driver( DSR) CONWAY is a good company I worked there for 6mos human resources was very thorough on the job description told I would be working the dock that's fine I figured since I've been a driver for so long that working the dock for short amount of time ( I thought) on daily day would be fine but I was not told I would be on the dock any where from 2to 6 hrs a day since I've been a driver for so long I rather be a driver and not a dock worker your day consist you come in and if needed you work the dock 2 to 3hrs then you peddle freight they usual want you in by 5 then you work the dock until done usual 3to 5hrs some days are shorter for working the dock I would have to say about 65% or a little less I've worked the dock I did try thought I would not miss driving but I do Conway was good to me the people from drivers dock workers and management are very fair and did listen to what you have to say they do hear your voice ( Like others have used aggressive words on there reviews) about CONWAY are not true Conway does not treat you poorly they do treat you as a equal but I wish they would of been more specific on how much dock work you do that's why some people wrote aggressive comment's about Conway that as a driver we did not expect so much dock work I say if you do not mind a lot of dock work CONWAY is a good company but for me I just was not a good fit for the company or for me I feel I need to be a driver feels more of a fit for me benefits are good as well
Pros
good benefits
Cons
dock work
A big company with the feel of a small company
Over-the-Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOMay 10, 2014
I absolutely loved working for Con-Way. Our dispatcher was an awesome guy, a dry sense of humor, but he got us where we needed to go. Of course, any trucking job is going to have a horrible job work/life balance but I believe Con-Way was different when it came to home time. Typically, the rule of thumb is you get a day off for every week you're out. However, if we we're out for only two weeks and requested three or four days off, it was given to us without a hard time. They make sure you're taken care of. Also, the pay is one of the best. Teams (which I drove) make 45cpm and solos make 37cpm, both with only 1 year experience. They have a great recruiting program, safety bonuses, Hazmat and Northeast pay, ETC. Our truck only had one problem (if you're a team, you get a truck with no more than 20,000 miles) and it got fixed right away without having to wait hours for dispatch to get back to the shop about what is going on.
Pros
great management, pay, miles, incentives, home time, equipment
Cons
the normal cons of truck driving
very busy place to work for but loved every moment of it
driver apprentice/dock worker (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCSeptember 15, 2012
A typical day at con way when i was there was always fun and exciting i enjoyed going to work every day that i was employed there i got along pretty well with most of the people there. I learned that you have to be strong physically and mentally i also learned to work hard as team and to also work alnone when i needed to i learned something new everyday and thats what made it so exciting to go to work everyday. My co-workers were fun to be around some had the best sense of humor and i never mind working with an helping any ot them out i enjoyed everyone of my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was really nothing i think the hardest part was when i encountered some guys that said some things to me that made me uncomfortable it made it hard but also made me stronger i never had anything that was too hard for me the most enjoyable part of the job was learning and meeting new people everyday i loved doing different things everyday i just really found a job that i really enjoyed going to work i have not found a job like that since the hours were perfect even the job was i also enjoyed the company eating that they had from time to time who dont enjoy eating but the co-workers were the enjoyable part of the job as well as me staying busy i love to stay busy.
Pros
free food on holidays or something special and the work load never a dull moment i like staying busy
Cons
cons i guess i wouldnt mind working more hours since i loved what i was doing
good people, horrible company
customer service (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MoAugust 2, 2015
Learned several jobs while employed here, each job was fast paced and stressful. Learned a lot about the transportation industry.
The management team consistently failed to be of any assistance. The management did not know how to do the jobs they were asking of their employees, so they could not help when employees where overwhelmed. The company as whole seemed to be losing money, therefore delayed yearly raises, sold needed equipment, and laid off quality employees to make year end budgets. I personally put in 3 years with the company and was promoted twice, but was laid off with NO advanced knowledge and for no reason other than being told my job was eliminated. I was not offered another position with the company even though I left in good standing, with no write-ups, no attendance issues, and with the knowledge to do at least 5 different jobs within the company. This company takes the word corporate to the next level, there is no loyalty to the employee and no job security. I do not recommend working for this company if you are looking for a career to invest your working life into.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management, stressfull environment, no job security
Good Company not high end nor low end.
DSR (Current Employee) –  Wont sayFebruary 15, 2012
I work in a "zone" linehaul. I've made $59,000 last year and this was my first year with the company. Good place to work. Don't care to work all nights it makes you feel like a vampire. There's only two of us that work in this zone, me and the dayshift driver. He has seniority on me so I'll never see days. The only way I can advance is to quit and find another job. But it pays the bill without having to work my butt off on the dock all the time. There is a 10% turnover rate at the bottom. If you can hold out for two or three months there will be enough rotation that your hours will pick up and you'll get more than you can handle. I have a buddy that hired on the same day I did. One year later after the bid and he has a dedicated night linehaul run. Not bad. Of course those above him didn't want that run so it was passed down until he took it. Benefits could be better but there not the worst.
Pros
pays not bad but could be better.
Cons
as long as they have a warm body.
If u don't like it there's the door
Dsr (Former Employee) –  Albany nyMay 25, 2013
This company is completely two faced everything they tell you is BS from your first interview till the day you quit....and you will quit! It's not a trucking company it's a corporation that happens to own trucks they screw there customers every chance they get but talk about integrity like they know what it means management is a complete joke it's completely unreal like being in the twilight zone the things they come up with, it's just to hard to explain they are without a doubt the dumbest people I've ever worked with at first it's funny but after a while you realize it's not a stable place to have a career especially if you have a family to take care of. That's why the hire people with no experience so they can mold them to be mindless zombies and think con-way is there family. That is the CON-Way! This company has only been around since the early 80s who knows how much longer they will last. The bigger they are the harder they fall
Pros
they screw you with a smile
Cons
pay scale, no retirement, insurance don't cover much, start times rules change whenever.......
Long hours very little home time
Class A team Driver (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOMarch 31, 2013
Basically the trucking industry is uniform across the board in its work week and days off. You work 70-80 hours a week to earn a single day off it's easy work but don't plan on having a family. A typical work day consists of well driving 11 hours a day. There are stops at the customer maneuvering in traffic. You get to see the country from the freeway but you don't get to stop and see the sights. My co worker is my co driver he's a great guy but he misses his family. That in itself is the hardest part of the job. Your away from home for six weeks and you might get a few days at home.
The best part of the job is knowing as long as you maintain a good driving record you will not want for work.
Management has 3000 drivers to deal with and frankly you are just a number to them. Iv'e learned that truck drivers come from all walks of life and are not the the shady characters television depicts them to be.
Pros
the company buys your fuel and the reward card buys you coffee and showers.
Cons
i can work up to 70 hours a week and am paid by the mile. i live in a 6x5 area.
Culture varies widely
Dock Pilot (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 7, 2015
In one location, people stand around looking at their cell phones on the dock. In another, everybody stays busy throughout the shift. That says a lot about the people involved, but equally about the culture instilled by the service center management. Find a good location to work if you are an honest worker and don't want to be discouraged by the poor culture.

The base pay is great for forklift operators. Opportunities to become a driver or even advance in management are also abundant (depending on location, as well). The benefits are not great, and you don't get time-and-a-half overtime until 50 hours (as a dock worker), so be prepared to feel like the company doesn't value your time and effort when they force you to work 45+ hours a week.

The company tends to add steps to completing various work assignments without allowing for the time that it takes to complete the extra steps. They also changed how production rate was calculated without informing employees of the change, dropping individual production rates by 33% yet holding the same production expectations.
Pros
Generally good people in management, easy to work for.
Cons
Company doesn't value your time as much as you do.
No fun activities, just work.
Truck Driver/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 11, 2015
I would start off with taking the next unloading Ticket. There was 50 inbound trailers and on the other side there was 50 outbound trailers. I unloaded my trailer to the correct outgoing trailer. I averaged about 5 trailers from 4am to 10 am, then I was assigned to a certain route. I would check the trailer for all the correct orders and check to make sure it was loaded properly and safely. I would do a tractor vehicle inspection for safety. then I would hook my trailer up and drive to all my assigned city deliveries. I used a 53 footer or I had a set of two 28 footers. I learned it is always good to double check your work, there is no reason for errors. Also follow safety guidelines is the number one rule. Management was always very helpful to employees. I was very well like by my co-workers, they appreciate hard workers and sometimes it took an extra hand to help with a difficult item of freight. I would have to say there was no hard part, I enjoyed everything about my job.
Pros
No free lunches
Cons
yes short breaks, healthcare was good.
very challenging
Customer Service/operations/admin asst (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILAugust 25, 2013
I would start out in customer service, handling any inbound calls or outbound calls. Handling customer situations (tracking, quotes, lost or damage freight, scheduling appts) then move to administrative assistant, working with 40 managers in the chicagoland/detroit regions, training any new hires, scheduling meetings/conference calls, creating reports, etc. Then moved to the operations side, made sure inbound was done on time or what could have been improved. dispatching and helping outbound with legal matters, getting out on time, etc. I got along great with co-workers, management. This is a very high fast past industry so I challenged myself to learn something new everyday. Most enjoyable was is a situation came to arise and I did not have the answer right then, I worked very timely to get the answer and made sure the customer was happy, also training people all over the country. Hardest part would not have the answer right away and sometimes it may take a few days to get the answer the customer wanted.
Pros
awarded when needed, cookouts, cakes, decorations
Cons
rep remanded for inappropriate responsibilities
Worst place i have ever worked
Freight operations supervisor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 6, 2012
I have been in the freight industry for 25 plus years and have worked for several companies in my time. Trust me this one is the WORST!!!! Watch your back because favoritisim is a big player with these guys. If your in the click you can get away with anything you want. If not the supervisors will write you up for any little thing to get you fired. They will fabricate stories or ride you so hard you will want to quit. Do not ever be a supervisor as they expect you to be on the dock for 8 to 10 hours straight and give you no lunch. I went to get a cup of coffee and was written up for leaving my dock area. Well now i have filed with the labor board and let them have their say. Sorry con-way but you were a much better company when you were consolidated freightways by far. You preach about not needing to be union but your workers would be much better off.
Pros
ha ha ha zero !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cons
favoritisim, labor law breakers, slave drivers, backstabbers
Current DSR
DSR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City KSMarch 30, 2014
Everything you have read about working 12 to 14 hours with only one 30 minute break is true. And Some management do micro manage and gossip. I have worked for other LTL and with the exception of the Excessive over time. The others are the same way. Money is good, Cameras are in the truck ( for safety) And Con Way does act like you are a lazy bum if you want to go home before working at least 10 to 12 hours. Health care is only OK. If you want home time this is not the place if you like over time and a chance to make a lot of money and can handle some stress. This is a Ok job. It is not rare for Conway to ask you to use the 16 hour rule to work more hours. They tell you once a week it allowed. But when you say working that late I do not feel safe. They act like you are weak while the CEO says Safety is priority ONE. He may not know what really goes on/
Pros
money, home every night. weekends off.
Cons
no off time mon - fri and fear of termination every day.
Excellent pay, Horrible work conditions and management
DSR (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILFebruary 6, 2014
Long days without breaks, they call all their employes DSR's (Driver Sales Representative) do to a loophole in the labor laws that state labor laws do not apply to sales reps, if you work the dock all day and decide to take a break after 12 hours they can and WILL fire you for stealing company time!

Aside from being treated horribly this is a great place to make money if you cant find a driving job elsewhere, they start at $20hr (or $0.42mi for LH) and work you 60-70hrs a week whether you like it or not, If you work on linehaul plan on sitting on the side of the road for a few hours every Saturday morning because they WILL run you out of hours every Friday night.

They will hire people fresh out of driving school so this is a good place to get the 1-2 years driving experience that other companies require!
Pros
pay, weekends off, home daily(though only long enough to sleep)
Cons
horrible treatment, cameras in cabs, no breaks
Choose your associates wisely.
Logistics Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Sapulpa, OKNovember 25, 2013
Load your gear on your lift, grab your work assignment(s), begin with the unloading or loading of freight via cross dock; in addition reorganizing the freight for an optimal load-out in the trailer. Roughly a 10hr day each day. 30min lunch. What I learned I'm not proud to talk about other than operating a fork truck & freight bracing & placement. Don't make friends with Co-workers just keep it to an acquaintance. The hardest part is re-cooping damaged freight due to pallet destruction/physically augmenting freight placement. The most enjoyable thing about my job was going home everyday & getting paid weekly.
Pros
personal benefits(full time), cookouts for appreciation days, lenient with school schedules.
Cons
apathetic leadership from immediate management(boss vs. leader), disorganized work assignments(misplaced priorities), uninhibited attitudes & general mouthiness
Good job bad home life
Driver/Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 11, 2013
I used to really enjoy currently working at con-way, a typical day for me is to go in at about nine pm, work the dock for about three or four hours, then hook up my trailers and drive to a regional destination such as Des Moines IA, St. Louis MO, or Wichita KS. Management is good on the shift I work with, but the same cannot be said in my opinion of the shift I worked last year. I have learned that in a blue collar setting it is very easy to make yourself noticed with could work ethic. The hardest part of this job is the work to home life balance. Many times I work thirteen hour days and am quite often to tired to enjoy my weekend. The most enjoyable part of this job is the relationships I have built with my co-workers
Pros
the availibility to change your schedule year to year based on how i would bid positions.
Cons
there really aren't may good schedules offered.
No job security
DSR-Driver Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 17, 2014
Questionable ethics and integrity. When I first started out at Con-Way it was by far the best paying job I had ever had, and as a female
it allowed me to provide a great income for my family. As the years have pasted this company has improved on work conditions, meaning
better equipment, safe stack trailers and newer forklifts. However, management has changed and changed and changed. Since I started back in 2005 I have seen the decline in the hiring competent and skilled dock operations management. They hire and continually hire college kids who know nothing about the freight business or the trucking industry. This is a disasters combination, lack of knowledge and skills. If Con-Way does not do something about this, within 3 to 6 years the doors will close on Con-Way. Customers and drivers are the backbone to LTL carriers, without drivers, Con-Way will fold.
Pros
drivers i work with.
Cons
management
Worst place to get Management experience
Field Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 31, 2013
Fun place to work if you are looking to sell your soul,long hours no lunch break. You better eat your "Wheaties" before you coming to work.Members of management are unsupportive and pride themselves on making you an example of failure to make themselves look good. Imagine being trained by someone who it took 7 years to reach this position in which you walked in on.(Most management within Conway lack any college.) The job is on the dock (90%) as a supervisor, exposed to the elements. From management to the drivers look forward to smiling in your face and stabbing you in your back. The flimsiest thing can get you fired. So if you are person looking for a career oriented job in Management come to Con-way to find you made the worst decision. Good luck...
Pros
the pay, but hell when look at how many hours you worked. you feel under payed.
Cons
13-14 hour shifts, no lunch breaks, terrible work environment
Focused on People
Human Resources-Personnel Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fridley, MNOctober 22, 2013
Working in the personnel office consisted of never knowing what each day would bring, Monday through Friday. When your job is all about helping employees with benefits, workplace issues, major life events, celebrations, etc., you have to be flexible.
I spent a lot of time with co-workers in every different job description, from drivers to managers, CSRs to mechanics, and it gives one a better perspective of the company as a whole.
The hardest part of each day is having to listen to the complaints of the bitter veterans of the company and not let it destroy my positive attitude. But listening to my co-workers is also very enjoyable for me on the occassion that I am able to help them out in some small way. Working directly with people is what makes this position so satisfactory.
Pros
event planning, variety of tasks, working with people
Cons
poor attitude of co-workers, always cold in offices
Don't waste your life working here
Dock Worker/Driver Trainer (Current Employee) –  Richland, MSMarch 13, 2013
Hire on at minimum pay for the area, get promised that you're doing a great job and will be afforded a certain opportunity to advance, only to be passed over by a new part time employee. Denied the mandatory annual pay raise given to ALL employees, no reason, no explanation, nothing but good things said about your work ethic and performance, but DENIED. National company has certain policies and procedures in place, but this location doesn't follow them. No pay for over 40 overtime (paid at 50 like drivers, even though nationally, dockworkers are paid after 40). If you work hard, they take advantage of you and abuse your loyalty. If you want a job with low moral, no recognition for working hard, and no pay to back up the mistreatment, go for it, but good luck and be warned.
Pros
learned alot about how not to treat employees
Cons
i was that employee