Con-way Employee Reviews

People are nice
Freight Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJanuary 13, 2017
The people you work with for the most part are great, but the inability for the company to give you the proper tools to do your job is beyond annoying.
Manager
Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXFebruary 10, 2017
I enjoyed working for this company. I was a part of a good team. I met good people and the work was not hard. They try and do a lot of thing for the empolyees.
Cons
weekly pay
good people, horrible company
customer service (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MoAugust 2, 2015
Learned several jobs while employed here, each job was fast paced and stressful. Learned a lot about the transportation industry.
The management team consistently failed to be of any assistance. The management did not know how to do the jobs they were asking of their employees, so they could not help when employees where overwhelmed. The company as whole seemed to be losing money, therefore delayed yearly raises, sold needed equipment, and laid off quality employees to make year end budgets. I personally put in 3 years with the company and was promoted twice, but was laid off with NO advanced knowledge and for no reason other than being told my job was eliminated. I was not offered another position with the company even though I left in good standing, with no write-ups, no attendance issues, and with the knowledge to do at least 5 different jobs within the company. This company takes the word corporate to the next level, there is no loyalty to the employee and no job security. I do not recommend working for this company if you are looking for a career to invest your working life into.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
management, stressfull environment, no job security
Good People
Load Planner Associate/ Carrier Procurement Rep (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXAugust 21, 2016
The people you work with are great and very helpful.
Management will help you as much as they can as long as you ask.
Unfortunately not a lot of room for growth in the company.
Happy inviroment
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Plainfield, INAugust 13, 2016
Really like the people and jobs. Like the fact you can move up or around in the company. It is a hard physical job and really made a lot of friends there.
Pros
Job oppertuities and good people
Cons
good money for partime job, but hard to get good pay with trying to get full time and hard to get
Great company
Supervisor of Freight Operations (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 5, 2013
I start my day researching incoming freight and developing my projections for the evening. After that, drivers start coming in from various cities, and we begin to break their freight down and re-work everything to its loading point. We have to meet trailer utilization goals, score card metrics, dispatch deadlines, and a high percentage of undamaged freight. I learned how to manage large groups of people and delegate tasks to achieve an overall goal. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with the people there. The hardest part of the job is the physical aspect; walking a concrete dock all night in the summer heat, subjected to the weather, and working the late third shift hours.
Pros
weekly pay, annual bonus, affordable health insurance, strong corporate structure, good company values
Cons
long hours, difficult physical expectations, low weekly salary, poor local upper management
Going down hill fast
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2013
Use to be the best company ever. Now it's all about making sure management gets bigger bonus checks. Over the last ten years we have lost our pensions, vacation stolen from us, sick days taken away, freight given to otr drivers, lost bids, and now we will be replacing our dock bids with full time dock workers ( they will be paid less ), not to mention no raises. Somewhere they lost focus on who the backbone of the company is. Safety is another issue. They preach safety but then get on you for not completing stops fast enough or not unloading, or loading enough freight faster.. And don't ask for a day off because every day you ask for is full. If you need a day off you better be sick and if you are be prepared to be wrote up. Just wish I was young enough to leave.
Pros
great co-workers
Cons
Bad managment, too many lies.
Good people to work with.
Customer Solutions Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Richland Hills, TXAugust 12, 2016
The company was very great to work for. You get to meet a wide variety of people. It's close knit. However, they should have a mandatory training for management 3 times a year.
Pros
option on lunch times
Cons
The management is very unorganized
Great company
Forklift Operator/CDL CLASS A LICENSE (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MANovember 17, 2016
conway its a greatcompany to work with. i had the chance to get my cdl license and learned how to drive. All the people there are nice and if you need help they will.
Company is a back stabber
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEMay 3, 2016
XPO/Con-way Freights UNprofessional higher management have small (manhood) syndrome. Act all tough behind the desk and think they are the cats meow when they have no idea what they are doing other than patting their own backs while sticking a fork in others backs.

Rules and regulations are unprofessional, as well as the employees who throw each other under the bus to save themselves. The gossip is unreal. Numerous of over 8 hour days with no lunch (DOT violation) until freight was brought back to terminal.

Employees that are the "pets" of the terminal get away with ANYTHING, from ripping off bumpers of trailers, not doing a pre trip and trailer axles(no hub oil) flying off on the highway to smoking inside the cab on on property (Against company policy!)
Pros
decent pay for the BS you have to deal with
Cons
management, supervisors are full of themselves, unless you're a pet of a supervisor/management you wont get any time off, co workers stab your back, after 8hours on the road still cant take lunch till freight was at the terminal (DOT violation)
Ok place to work
driver CDL class A (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILNovember 12, 2016
Need unions make you work on the dock as a driver for hours and then let you go out for a few hours to drive and then come back and make you work on the dock again
Pros
Cons
Unfair with everything
Its an okay place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXAugust 25, 2016
A little slow paced but ok overall. Did not have a chance to work with management but never had a problem. They give very few hours which is a con and cut hours constantly
Enjoyed driving
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 26, 2016
Enjoyed the freedom of driving the truck. getting to my destination was always a challenge. Long days. Always entertaining dealing with new employees.
Pros
freedom of doing what you want as long as the job gets done
Great Employees
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Elmsford, NYNovember 10, 2016
Efficiently sort, handle, load and unload palletized and non-palletized freight using appropriate motorized and manual equipment, including pallet jack, forklift and by hand as needed.
Great potential
Senior Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJune 30, 2016
If the promotion of a healthy work environment/culture were made a priority, this could be an excellent company.
Easy job but horrible conditions
Lead Loader (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILOctober 2, 2016
Working on a cross dock is very much like working outside. Rain sleet or snow, your expected to do your job the exact same way. You can dress for the weather n take other precautions, but you also want to be paid enough money for the hardwork you encounter.
Productive and by the book.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 2, 2013
I would usually start my day around 3:00 pm would start the day off by Hosteling take away and backing trailers to the dock for loading or unloading. When that was done I would be Dispatched to a truck in which I would do Pick ups till about 6 pm. When I would get back i would grab a forklift and start unloading freight. This company moved anywhere from 300,000 to 500,00 lbs of freight a night with about 25 Driver/Loaders. This company also had a driver program that put me through their private school to obtain my class A. The hardest part of the job would b at the end of the night the guys lowest on the totem pole would b sent a hour away to drop off trailers and help load an unload at that facility and would get back home till 7 am.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, help me obtain my class A
Cons
Fired due to "economic reduction"
Great pay, eligible for advancement, 40+ hours a week
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, NYNovember 18, 2015
Great place to earn decent pay on a dock. Based on performance and experience they are willing to advance you on to higher positions. VERY cold winters but if you can get through that then the job is pretty good. Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
VERY cold winters
Productive place
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Franklin, WINovember 3, 2016
The managers was very good trained to do whats is giid for the company and always try to help people to learn. The human Resources people was always there when you needed
Good pay/benefits
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 30, 2013
While you will make a very good living while working at Conway, you get no respect from mgmt in any way, shape or form. They demand 12+ hrs from you with only one 30 minute break. If anyone has worked there before, then you know its anything but a relaxed and easy going environment. You're constantly threatened with your job if you don't want to work those long hours as well...having good morale at Conway is not going to happen and its something mgmt could care less about! If you get past all of that, then Conway is a good place to work.
Pros
Good pay/good benefits
Cons
the work environment created by management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Con-way. Our community is ready to answer.