Con Edison Employee Reviews

Good learning experience
System Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2016
Q&A

A typical day at work?
- Can be routine but very stable
What did you learn?
- Learned about the company's function and history in NYC
Management?
- Different levels of effective management
Your Coworkers?
- I had a great team to work with on a daily basis
Pros
Job security, variety of departments
Cons
Working through heatwaves and winter storms
Great job to work for
General Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 18, 2016
I had a wonderful time working for this company I would recommend anyone to work for this company. I think that Con Edison is a repeatable company to work for
Productive and Fun work atmosphere
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYAugust 15, 2016
This company has been great to work for.Everyone is Super friendly...almost like a family...The in depth training we receive is great...Everything that needs to be learned is done so in training. Management is great they are always there to help
Bad Experience
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 10, 2016
Although a memorable experience I hope I and others never have a repeat experience.
Could have been a great deal but the best of intentions failed in great proportions.
Con Edison
CUSTOMER FIELD REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 22, 2016
I am very sociable. The job is a great work out due to all walking. The hardest part of the is never knowing what to expect when entering the basements. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers. I've learned how important safety is to the job. The management team is ok.
Pros
Every time we work safe, we get a safety celebration.
Cons
If someone gets hurt we dont get a celebration.
They are ok.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 26, 2016
There is a large disparity between management and union workers. It is a company to grow in but it is very difficult to move onto another department. As a part-time worker, they are willing to work with you a bit on your schedule.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
management
worked independant at sub station
Senior Substation Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 12, 2016
i mainly worked alone overviewing the running of the station. Which meant troubleshooting any alarms that came up, Preparing equipment to be taken out of service or being put into service. Sometimes working in conjunction with other working groups making sure the equipment they would work on was dengergized and properly protected. Reviewing this via walk thru of the equipment and the handing out of proper work permits
Pros
12 hour work schedule
Good company
Trouble Shooter High Voltage 1-2 (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2016
Electrical troubling shooting is a job that requires a high degree of skill. It can be very dangerous if you are not focused. You are dealing with electric current in the range of 120 to 13,000 volts and above. When there is trouble the safety of your customers and public is in your hands. All in all it is a rewarding job when you restore or bring light or gas service back to the customers who have lost it.
Great pay but not worth the hassle.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2016
the money and benefits are great but the work ignored to get that pay is a lot. you basically do every other departments job swell as your own.
Con Edison is fun place to work
Private Contractor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2016
I love to work in diverse areas such as Con Edison. It's always interesting to be able to do the job and get paid weekly. But it is also fun to change the area of expertise...

Want to know more about Con Edison?

Ask a question
A typical day as an intern at the accounts payable department at Con Edison
Clerk (Internship) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2016
A typical day in the accounts payable department would start with opening mail, sorting and scanning invoices into system. By mid day invoices would be forwarded to the analysts in accordance with their account responsibility. A typical day would end with us interns storing the hard copies of the invoices in the archive room.

I learned hands on how accounts payable cycle works in a mid size corporate business.

The department supervisor and manager were both very informative and helpful. They were always available to answer any questions or inquires we interns had.

There was nothing hard about the job. Every day interaction with accounting professionals was encouraging for us interns to finish our degrees soon and work for such a company full time.
Pros
Good mentors, very professional and polite workers.
Cons
None that I can think of.
great learning experience
Engineering Aide (Co-op) (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 25, 2016
Working for Con Edison was the greatest internship I could have imagined. The huge variety of departments allowed me to work with so many different kinds of people. The networking options were incredible. Having the option to go through all the steps in different projects allowed me to experience all the important parts that are played by different groups. The work environment was always so engaging, and everyone is very familiar with interns so they welcome any questions and inqueries. The only reason why I didn't want to work for them full time is because, they don't have work in my area of study. They are more of an electrical engineering company, and don't really have the kind of constriction that I'm looking for. other wise, they are a great company. A typical day at work includes, a lot of spreadsheet work, conference calls for project updates, talk with coworkers about questions or steps that must be taken from updates on the call. The hardest part of my job are doing tedious tasks that take absolutely no brain power, but they are vital parts of some projects. The most enjoyable part is when you've done all the research for a product that you know can help your department both economically and work efficiently, and then it actually gets done.
Con Edison Transportation / Filed Services
Senior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Astoria, NYDecember 14, 2015
This is absolutely one of the greatest companies to work for.
I have been working for numerous private companies elsewhere and
from my experiences nothing comes even close.
I cannot name a single negative thing.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, pension, great co-workers like family.
Great Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 27, 2015
We worked as a team, developed new skills which was very good to use in different departments for work. The people were a pleasure to work with.
Pros
Overtime free lunch
Cons
Heathcare
hard conditions to work
General Utility Worker Underground (GUWUG) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2015
worked in underground electric department. worked outdoors. most of coworkers were knowledgeable and helpful. the elements and coworkers with bad attitudes were the hardest parts of the job
Pros
overtime
Cons
commute
The most enjoyable part of the job
ASSISTAN TREASURY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2015
My area of work is a fun place..Evevrybody knows each other..Great atmospehre to work. Everybody do there jobs..I work with the customer service people even thou Im not a customer service rep.Con edson is a huge company in new york.. I work 7am to 3 pm. I work in brroklyn. Our mamnagers are great.
If they appoint me to a new jod .I learn it fast
Pros
I TAKE ONE HOUR LUNCH EVEVRYDAY
Cons
I WORK THRU MY BREAKS IF I HAVE TOO
This place sucks unless your friends with the VPs
Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2015
This company needs to start from the top down. Get rid of the Board of Directors, followed by the CEO, Senior Vice Presidents and Vice Presidents. Then, build the company by putting people in those positions that have morals and ethics.

Don't work for Central Engineering. You're better off working at McDonalds.

The Ombudsman, EEO, and Labor Relations exist at Con Edison just to make themselves look good. These people are a waste of life. They don't fight for what's right.
Pros
Cons
low salary, lousy benefits, favoritism and nepotism
Minor cooperation between managers and interns.
Paid Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2015
Did not agree with company practices involving employee, manager, and intern communication. Many actions and work order processes were greatly slowed down by inefficient communication.
Great Company!!
Project Contract Manager (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2015
Great company to work for, but extremely hard to become a Union Employee at this time due to the high volume of bargaining.
Benefits
professional
Bi-lingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2015
It is a professional environment, It deals with the public in general , It provides services to the public with ethics an respect

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Con Edison. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4