ConAgra Foods Employee Reviews

Physically demanding work environment. Company upholds great work ethics.
Packaging Operator (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORJune 6, 2012
Packaging Operator to operate, monitor and adjust the packaging equipment in a manner consistent with production needs and quality standards. Troubleshoot equipment and identify any problems with minimum waste by notifying proper personnel.I learned that shortcuts should be avoided at all costs. The management team and co-workers were great to work with keeping focused on producing A grade quality to be sent to customers. The physical demands of the job was the most difficult and most rewarding of the job.
Pros
good money, benefits and dedication of workers.
Cons
lots of over time.
Great company to work for.
Maintenance Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 3, 2015
Start most days with a daily safety/update meeting, planning meeting, then a daily Ops meeting. Close out work orders, schedule work, follow up on previous work.

Learn different things daily, really focus on TPM and lean principles and practices, building a stronger more diverse team.

Management is very supportive and gives me all the necessary tools to succeed.

I have a great group of co-workers at our facility, we work together on lots of different projects.

Finding highly skilled individuals in the area willing to work for what we can pay them.

The ability to manage as I need to in order to make our department world class.
Long hours and No appreciation
Lead person (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARApril 12, 2015
In my experience with ConAgra Foods, they did not want me to go to college, would not work with my everyday life, such as doctor's appointments and such, and did not care anything about advancement opportunities, even though I was a Leadperson for four years there and was ready when I was let go and, the only reason I was let go, was the fact that they will not work with college students. They forced me to choose to either call in late everyday, four days a week, or drop two classes, which would have put me behind even more than I already am. I would NOT recommend this company for anyone with a family or anyone trying to go to school.
Was great before the new CEO
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 8, 2015
I really enjoyed ConAgra foods before the new CEO. I feel like he only cares about money and nothing else. It used to be a learning environment where everyone was engaged in the process to assist the business in supporting and creating applications that worked for them. I worked in the IT space which wasn't treated as well as the business counterparts but still...it was a good job. I learned a lot. I'm sad that I have to come out here to look for jobs but that's life. You never know! :-) Good luck out there on the career hunt. We all need it, right?
Pros
Learning environment, good benefits, pays well, great co-workers
Cons
...the new CEO
You never know what will happen
Sr. Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 18, 2014
ConAgra Foods is a pretty good place to work - if you are able to flow with the ups and downs. I've been there almost 10 years and the company doesn't seem to be able to implement strategies that lead to continued growth. Even when the times are good, we all just wait for leadership to make a decision that will set them back. We really hope this won't happen, but it seems that this a trend that ConAgra just can't seem to overcome.So we all wait for the reorg and hope we survive.
Pros
great benefits, onsite workout facilities, great work environment, attitude that fosters charity giving and activities
Cons
will i have a job in a year?
Great place to learn on the job and advance if you have the desire to do so
Group Lead (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIApril 15, 2014
ConAgra is a large corporation always looking to trim the bottom line. They are know for closing smaller plants and distributing the products made to other larger facilities. Job security therefor is always up in the air. Benefits are great, 401K could be better matched and with such a huge company profit sharing would be nice but does not exist. Tuition reimbursement if you are looking to further your education. Good work environment created by the employees but ConAgra is more focused on bottom line then employees.
Pros
good vacation and pto available
Cons
reliability
We work together as a unit, we were not just a team, but we was like family.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCJune 13, 2013
Coming into ConAgra with the skills that I felt would be a plus to this company. I came in with a teachable spirit, which at the end made me one of the best operators they had; If the plant had not exploded I would be there today. A typical today was meeting production demands but safety came FIRST, it was our number one goal to work safely. I work together on the line with a team of people, which we knew it took all of us to meet the requirements of our jobs; this is how they became my ConAgra family. The best part of this job is knowing that at the end of the day I gave them my best.
Should have stayed on the Cleaning Crew.
Janitor and Cleaner/ Production (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAApril 22, 2013
My days at this company was nothing I want to relive. I started on the Cleaning Crew where I should have stayed. But no I thought the grass was greener on the other side. I move to Production, big mistake. The management was use to working with a certain type of people so they didn't know how to talk to people correctly. My co-workers were terrible they had little groups that made it hard for a new person. The hardest part of the day was to deal with all these Chiefs no Indians. Everybody want to be the boss. The most enjoyable part of the day was going home.
Cons
to many chiefs not enough indians
Progressive diversified food industry. Very accommodating to all.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 15, 2013
Very busy, no day is the same. Lots of visitors and vendors. Lots of phone calls. I coordinate seminars here and training session with our sister plants. I pay over $65,000 in bills. I make travel arrangements. I take care of ordering the uniforms for 450 plus people. I order all the office supplies for the plant. I coordinate all telephone and office equipment repairs. I enjoy working most with the people and especially the employees from other sister plants.
Pros
exceptional benefits, nice vacation time off after 1 year, people are enjoyable
Cons
security
Very unorganized, not very productive
Assembly Line Worker, Mixer Operator, Hilo Driver (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 1, 2014
My experience at ConAgra was one of the worse I've spent within warehouses/factories. It was also an experience in which I wouldn't regret. A typical work day cannot be explained in just one paragraph. Their were times I would spend 12hr shifts, waiting in the lunch room with other co-workers for at least 4-5 hrs while we wait for machines to properly function. The job was just very unorganized, but I dealt with the adversity's within the company and managed to move around every now and then...
Pros
learning possibilities
Cons
exhausting hours, with little pay

Want to know more about ConAgra Foods?

Ask a question
Helpful and friendly co-workers but very unorganized supervision.
Sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CaliforniaFebruary 4, 2013
Typical day would consist of putting on all protective gear and organizing all needed supplies for cleanup. I learned quite a bit about cleanliness, contaminants, and some chemicals. At times it seemed supervisors lost track of some of the workers which made it harder for others to accomplish the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was at the Christmas dinner where good food was served, people danced and enjoyed time with eachother.
Pros
free pies were given to employees at this pie factory.
Cons
hourly schedule changed drastically from day to day.
Production maintenance lead
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, CADecember 25, 2012
● Plan, schedule and perform as needed all pm’s, troubleshooting, repair, replacement, rebuilds, and modification on all food processing systems, canners, cookers, packaging related equipment, for high-speed canning, labeling, filling, and processing facility on all high-speed food processing systems, canners, can seamers, can labelers, can fillers, wrappers, packagers, ovens, fryers, cookers, hydraulics, pneumatics, gearboxes, compressors, valves, pumps, basic electrical, and other related skills.
Pros
learn new skills, planning and management
Cons
long hours working with no days off.
Very productive postion
Quality Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Marshall moJanuary 30, 2015
Updated daily excel sheet and created sheets. I released incoming goods from company computer system. Checked in sensitive ingredients and assisted with any quality issues. Contacted supplies with any issues that may have come up. Formulated excel sheets for new mails for production lines. Assisted with new hire orientation. Typed word documents for outside contractors. I worked with corporate offices on roll out projects. Analyzed USDA/FDA lavel approvals from web based system.
Pros
pretty flexable with schedule
Cons
no room for advanement, flip flop from days to nights
Good paying job,
Purchasing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  King City, CAApril 20, 2014
Always new changes, Very good place to work. A typical day was taken up by having meeting all the time and it would put you behind in your work. Management was always changing. The hardest part
was when our plant Teamster workforce went on strike and we had to cross the picket lines since we were administrative personnel and strike lasted for 3 seasons. The second hardest part was hearing from main headquarters that they were closing our plant after over 41 years in business.
Pros
good health coverage. very good severance pay.
Cons
when you work for a big company you are known as a # not by name.
Productive and fun enviroment to work in
Machine Operator/Sanitary Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 26, 2013
I operated a machine that produced magarine. I was also apart of the sanitation crew. I disassebled and re-assembled machines cleaning and sanitizing them for production. Management was helpful and professional. My co-workers helped me to grow and taught me how to become independent. The hardest part of my job was disassebling and re-assebling the machines. The most enjoyable part of my job was running the line and being a team player.
Pros
good benefits great pay
Cons
worked alot of hours and little time for family during baking season
Bad place to work
Sanitation Utility (Former Employee) –  Sylvester, GANovember 29, 2012
Some of the people aren't bad but the management is horrible. What do they care if you're working seven days a week every week. They go home at five o'clock on friday. Horrible place to work if you are on the sanitation or maintanence crew. It never ends. Red tape and b/s from people who know nothing about what it is that you do there, and unless you're related to someone don't count on promotions.
Pros
uniforms, paid holidays, health insurance
Cons
7 days a week endlessly, rather than hire extra people to work a weekend shift and have to pay for their benefits, they are going to work you til you drop
Great environment to work
LPN- Industrial Nurse (Former Employee) –  Russellville, AROctober 30, 2014
Typical day can be stressful and very busy. I learned a lot during my time at this company. The management is very helpful and kind. My co-workers were great but there could be better communication, organization and training done. The hardest part of the job is determining and separating personal, work related and recordable situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is communicating with the employees and management they are very friendly and appreciative of all efforts given to them.
Pros
great recognitions
Cons
you have to eat when you work, only nurse on staff
ConAgra
Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 10, 2015
Very different environment post Ralcorp purchase. No segment of this business is safe from lay-offs or reorganizations. Management makes sweeping knee jerk reactions to one bad quarter instead of staying true to the course and trusting in the process to grow the private brands business. Wide spread speculation the past year about spin offs and sales makes it very difficult to see a future with this company. Bright side is solid benefits, lots of vacation. Below industry average pay though offsets this.
Pros
hidden perks like concert tickets and sporting events
Productive place to work, alot of good hands on learning.
Instrumentation technician (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ARJune 30, 2015
In charge of all set ups before production, including calibration of weight, pressure, temperature and speed. Set programs in each dinner line based on the production schedule. I've learned different brands of drives and how to program them along with all types of allen bradley PLC's. Hardest part of the job is being in the freezer working for long time periods at -25 degrees F. I enjoy being able to keep up with technology as we bring in new machines and equipment.
Pros
Good benefits, Great co-workers.
Cons
13 days of work 1 off.
Productive place to work.
Quality Assurance Inspector/ Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCAugust 10, 2012
Some days were very challenging, however it taught me how to deal with multitasking. Management was very caring and I enjoyed meeting and working with the friendly and helpful co-workers. The hardest part of my job was giving an assignment and not being able to meet deadlines due to inventory shortage. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting all expectations giving by my supervisor and exceeding all company goals.
Pros
being recognized after meeting goals and rewarded.
Cons
the closing of the plant after the explostion.