Concordia University Chicago Employee Reviews

Christian environment and very difficult situation based on financial restraints
DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILNovember 21, 2017
I have learned to monitor a very tight budget in a expensive area of the country. The sixty different personalities that work in the department have unique talents. The secret is to try and utilize their skill set to maximize the efficiency of the department. The position changes on the yearly basis because of the needs of the students keep changing. I have learned a tremendous amount about mental health awareness and supporting students in their every day battle to mature as productive adults.

The culture of the University is one that is extremely difficult to remain positive and productive. Many of the workers do not understand the bigger mission of the University and look at their position in a very independent manner. Most employees have a selfish outlook and could care less about other workers or students at the University.

I enjoy watching the students and coaches have success at the University. That is what keeps me motivated to work every day to try and improve the culture and experience for the people involved.
Pros
Christian environment, good staff in the department, good students, baseball team
Cons
negative attitude in other departments of the University, selfish attitudes and lack of leadership from administrative team
Not-for-profit workplace.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2017
Friendly staff and great workplace. University management with a corporate feel. Will make you feel like family and comfortable workplace in a 150+ year old university.
Work Online
Dissertation Chairperson (Current Employee) –  onlineAugust 19, 2017
I work as a dissertation chairperson and coach at the New York Sateliite. As a result, I do not work at the Chicago campus. I truly enjoy working with doctoral students.
A once great institution that has lost its way
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILMay 26, 2017
Senior leadership turns a blind eye to bullying, managers and inept administrators. Does not exhibit the behaviors of a "Christian" institution. The university is afraid of success and continues to make terrible financial decisions. Do not waste your time. Leaders are supposed to be positive role models, not live with their assistants while still married to someone else.
Cons
Inept senior management
Enjoyed and Learned Broadcasting
Operations Director, WCGR news and radio (Former Employee) –  Concordia University ChicagoMay 17, 2017
I enjoyed learning how to work with radio equipment, editing software, and how to manage some shows. The equipment was simple enough for anyone to use, even those who were not a communication major. The faculty that not only taught the class, and those whom were apart of the faculty adviser gave good information on how to improve upon yourself.
I also, was taught simple television set up and what looks and works better.
Engaging Students for their future
Art Club Leader (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 12, 2017
I am a very flexible person when it comes to scheduling. I like to be active and communicate with others. I am an advocate for self care and separate my personal life from my professional life. I take feedback well from others so that I can take that into my own experience. This is what I have learned and has come quite handy.
Productive and fun place with friendly coworkers
Pre-Professional Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILJanuary 8, 2017
My typical work day would always bring me to learning something new each day, it includes little but hilarious chats with the co-workers who are real nice. The toughest part of the job i would say is to figure out my lunch time and the most enjoyable part is coming in to contact with people from all around the globe which helps me understand different cultures, ethnicity as well as build a diverse group of friends.,
Pros
Meet new people everyday
Cons
It takes a lot of hard work to get every department to communicate
So glad I left - the grass is greener on the other side
Financial Aid Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2017
Working at CUC was stressful. while it had some ok benefits management in certain departments are horrible. Some people should perhaps be fired by the amount of things happening and high turnover rates but instead turn a blind eye. Just be warned that the workload is too much for the pay not worth the stress
the grass is greener on the other side.
Pros
benefits, co-workers
Cons
management, pay, schedule, workload
productive and flexible place to work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2016
I am having a good experience working at Concordia University Chicago. I have a flexible schedule which allows me to pursue my doctoral studies while I work.
Awful work enviroment
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILJuly 25, 2016
Completely unprofessional, you will end up doing all the work of everyone around you. No one wants to be there and to get anything done is a complete chore.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Student Worker in the Registrars Office
Registrar Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2016
This job consisted of filing, utilizing databases and printing/preparation of transcripts.

Overall this job was amazing, its a wonderful way to gain experience in both office work and in how a college operates
Productive and outgoing workplace
Graduate Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  7400 Augusta St Chicago,IlOctober 16, 2015
Comfortable work place with supportive management. A place where you can really grow as a person. My co-workers are awesome! I really love the team effort they put forward to help each other out..I found it challenging to interact with students properly because of the space in the office. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning about the different cultures my students were from.I found that very interesting.
Great place to work.
Graduate Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILJune 30, 2015
Influenced by the university's extended history of having a social purpose.

A very cohesive team culture. Management always supported staff in decision making and new opportunities.
Pros
Service the needs of everyone
Cons
n/a
friendly staff and fun place to work
Literacy Coach (Former Employee) –  River Forest ILMay 12, 2015
Friendly staff and fun place to work. Supervisors very loving and caring.
I had a great time working with the Literacy department
Great job, nice Institution
Dir.Service Learning Center /Asst.Prof. Spanish (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILJuly 26, 2014
My time at CUC has been great! My main job, Director of Academic Service-Learning Center, has been a wonderful experience! When I got there 17% of the student body was doing service. With me at the center, last year (2012-2013) 48% of the student body was engaged in service-learning. This year (2013-2014) 44% of the students were involved in service-learning, and over 50% were involved in Service activities of some type.
I created many partnerships with local non-profit organizations, worked with many interesting people, worked with wonder students, have had great colleagues who have helped me SO much along the way!
Pros
Small university, you know everyone, students are bright, big hearted, sevice oriented culture
Cons
Salaries are low due to the small nature of the university, we cannot get raises. Cost of living in this area is very high, so salaries and cost of living do not go hand in hand.
Psychology Research Assistant
Psychological Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILApril 9, 2014
conducted research studies in the research lab for psychological research, running participants, working on conference proposals.
It was a great place for student workers to work
Physical Plant Worker (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILDecember 30, 2013
Work during the days
learned to work did tools and organized an office
management was great listen to people and willing to help
my co workers were great made it easy to work
the hardest part was some of the things jobs we had to do
just working with will all of my co workers
Relaxed, Friendly and Innovative campus
Bookstore Manager (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILSeptember 17, 2013
The Concordia University Chicago community is very open, inviting, friendly and academically rich. I am surrounded by well-educated, respectful and helpful professionals daily who are all eager to see the University and it's students succeed and prepare for the future.
Great place for work study!
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  River Forest, ILSeptember 11, 2013
Great place to work, job pace varies from day-to-day, great coworkers and supervisor. Perfect for students!
The world of academia is rewarding within its self.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  River Forest, ILJune 8, 2013
Education opens doors to many avenues. My experience at C.U.C. has highlighted my impressions of continued education. The academic environment, students, and faculty of C.U.C. has been a positive encounter for me. I cherish the classroom experiences when students actually grasp the theories, techniques, and concepts of counseling.
Pros
Ability create your lesson plan within parameters of the university's guidelines.