Condé Nast Employee Reviews

I was a freelance designer
FREELANCE DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2017
Conde Nast is a great company. I worked for a six month period filling in for someone on maternity leave. I then remained on a freelance basis working from my home office for many years on an as needed basis.
A great company!
Sr. Group Research Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2017
All in all, a great place to work when I was there.
Lots of opportunities and a great team to work with.
Was fortunate to receive a lot of training and able to get my hands into projects that were interesting and challenging.
challenging, exciting people to meet
Telephone Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2017
very private company, family environment enjoy receiving free gifts from different magazines, and once week lunch on the company tab. Understanding management, will to help even when it's not job related. Great group a people to spend time with at work and out of work.
Pros
free give aways from different magazines
Cons
short staff
Unorganized. Constantly in a state of re-org
Head of Production Branded Content - Hired staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2017
Conde is constantly re-orging. I survived 7 re-orgs in my 2.5 years at the company and it's bonkers every time. They are bad at change management and typically just drop massive company wide shifts on you with no heads up. It's at the point where people stop taking it seriously.
Ideal place for a freelance/contract worker
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 11, 2017
Magazine publishing is desperately competing for ad share against bigger, more resourceful internet media companies. Like other traditional publishing entities, Conde Nast has been forced to adapt in this disruptive environment by shedding its in-house service departments and concentrating its focus on content generation, increasingly reliant on contract employees. I once worked in a division that expedited physical production and distribution of all CN magazine editions. Salaried and dedicated employees endowed with pension, matching 401K, robust health benefits, annually accrued paid vacations and promotions, with lavish holiday celebrations that honored and guaranteed career tenures in double-digit years, ending in bountiful retirements. After 100+ years of service, that department was recently spun out as a separate startup that now services its former parent as one of many publishing vendors (some that were once in-house divisions). A former cost center that is now its own profit generator, with salary caps, benefits, and expertise pared to the bone.
Pros
Memorable holiday parties, potlucks and vendor-sponsored field trips. Vouchered dinner and cab reimbursement during OT stints.
Cons
The above "pros" replaced with a frantic, day-to-day existence.
A great intro job to build resume
Senior Web Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2017
They admittedly paid very poorly. Half of the company was print and laying off constantly, while the other half was digital and constantly hiring. The revolving door of the digital portion made life difficult because you were always losing senior people who knew how idiosyncratic systems worked. There were different custom systems for each of dozens of different projects and management might not fully brief you on a project and leave you hanging out to dry with no answers as to how it was supposed to be finished.

The workflow was sporadic - you might have no work for a few days and then one large emergency for the rest of the week. Slow-paced with ulcers.
Pros
Great name recognition, great building
Cons
Stressful, fearful environment with lack of direction
Iconic magazines
Research Director, Corporate Research (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2017
Interesting work on variety of consumer product categories, including mass & luxury.
However, it was not easy to navigate between the Business & Editorial sides.
Busy workplace with fast paced timing
Prep Cook Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 25, 2017
A very busy place. I would typically aid people in other stations prep foods for their daily service before moving up and being in charge of the carving station, where I had to prepare a starch, meat, and vegetable dish for the day to serve ~200+ customers before noon.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Short work times occasionally and breaks
Amazing culture
Summer Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2017
Conde Nast was an amazing learning experience. The employees are extremely lively and welcoming, and the management are more like mentors. Overall work experience with them was 10/10.
Condé Nast
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2017
Condé Nast is a world leader in media. It is at the forefront of the new media and social environment. The level of talent is outstanding. The culture is evolving to meet the needs of the new media workplace.
Freedom to exercise voice in creativity
Advertising & Creative Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 27, 2017
A freedom to exercise voice in creativity to add value to their publishing corporate culture in lifestyle magazine brands. Well thought out creative teams to meet deadlines in a timely manner.
Pros
great work environment
Fun place to work!
Executive Assistant to SVP, Business Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2017
Fun place to work! Work/life/ balance. They treat the employees great. Its a nice company to work for. Plenty of perks and connections. I enjoyed it..
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
no cons
Fast pace environment
Finance Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2017
The company is changing the structure from Print Magazine to Digital business. which it will become a leader. This company is great for a person to learn and grow.
Great Place to Start
Digital Sales Planner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2017
I have no complaints about Conde. It was a great place to learn for my first career out of college. Their work environment was great and I learned so much working on their Digital Ad team.
productive
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 12, 2017
good company to work for with competitive benefits. had a good rapport with my co workers. Hardest part- deadlines and demanding clients. Best part- seeing the finished product on the newsstand and in readers hands.
Great for resume
Digital Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 3, 2017
Great work environment for doing your best, tough business but really will help you grow in your career. Amazing buying in one world trade downtown, lots of work perks.
Productive place with high competition
Manager, Social Content (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 2, 2017
Everyone wants to do well here and you will be inspired to do the same. Condé Nast is highly competitive but you can grow exponentially in a short amount of time.
Good Fast Paced Job, Very busy, Good Atmosphere
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2016
A good Fast paced job that had its good days and bad, most days just fell in between. There are many employees that work in shifts. and at least 13 remote locations local, nationally & internationally.
productive and interesting
Writer/Producer/Promo Writer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2016
With 14 magazine titles I was always working on something new and it allowed me to learn and grow as a person. Also with both video and written content I was able to use all my skills. Everyone there also worked as a team.
Pros
name
Cons
pay
Conde Nast
Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 25, 2016
At Conde Nast, I was able to learn more about fashion and celebrity lifestyle through my editing work. The editor of the company was particularly sensitive to employees' workload and often provided catered dinners and a masseuse during all-night sessions at the magazines.

Apart from this, the work environment was typical of a fast-paced, intelligent New York firm.
Pros
beauty everywhere
Cons
lower pay