Coney Island Hospital Employee Reviews

Work Life Balance is Hard
Staff RN/Float Pool (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2016
Working as medical personnel is hard. But working for a facility that is very big and needs more staff is challenging when you need to sacrifice your days off or switch your schedule around constantly. Management is getting better, in my opinion, but there are constant struggles when having to deal with a large ratio of patients daily and there is no relief. Co-workers are great and they make it all worth it. Being able to practice as a clinician makes it all worth it at the end of the day.
Fun place. Great staff
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 22, 2016
Great place to work. Good medical coverage,unlimited opportunities
Unfortunately I had to relocated and I couldn't take my job with me.
Pros
Cons
Normal
Great place to learn not to advance
HHC Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 12, 2016
In my experience working here I found that they were eager to teach me and add on to my workload, but nobody was interested in giving me a promotion after 8+ years.
Productive and Fun
Internship (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 25, 2016
I really enjoyed my internship here. I have learned a lot to help me in my career. Although there were some hiccups, as with many large hospitals, overall, it is a good place to work,
Extrememly busy, professional, and has a family feel.
Adult volunteer in HR office (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 16, 2016
I loved voluntaring there. I wished I could of landed permanent employment there. It would of been a great job because of the job title, location, and the benefits that were being offered.
Pros
Free lunch.
Cons
Not pay.
Good Benefits
Assistant Director of Pharmacy (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 3, 2016
Great benefits and compensation.
Taught me alot.Good environment. Excellent for moving up the ladder.
Thank you for the experience.
not a very good job very high turn-over
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 24, 2016
Rather than the nurse administration supporting the nursing staff they seem to be adversarial. Disregard for NIH standards for safe patient care such as encouraging nursing staff to work more than 12 hours within a 24 hour period.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 14, 2016
Great place to work with understanding and helpful supervisors/staff. Great place to learn and gain experience. Good benefits. I've noticed while working here, there is a completely fair and understanding process for educating the staff. However, they don't offer 12 hour shifts on medical-surgical floors which cause a lot of nurses to be unhappy with life/work balance. Five day a week shifts only, unless you want to work a 16 hour double, which can be exhausting. The compensation is increasing over the next five years but currently private hospitals offer higher pay. However, Coney Island is an amazing place to work with extremely helpful staff. You're never alone! I highly recommend for new graduates looking for an outstanding education experience.
Pros
Great education
Cons
Only offer five day work week for medical-surgical floors
Not a great place to work
Coordinating Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 12, 2016
Provide guidance and direction in the absence of director
To not allow anyone to abuse you
Unprofessional Management
No professional growth
Helping patients
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Unprofessionalism
good place to work with great learning experience
staff Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 12, 2016
working at Coney island was great , I was very fortunate to work with people who were very supportive of me, when I was in school. They never gave me a hard time when it came to needing days off for school related issues. also my co workers and I had a great relationship we worked well together and we always work as a team. I can't say enough things about my SICU team. also the attending physicians there are excellent especially our SICU intensivist. she was a great teacher and role model to me and one of the first Doctors that I know who care so much for her patients. these qualities are hard to find in a work place and these are the things I'm going to miss the most.
Pros
team work was outstanding and our patients satisfaction is without saying
Cons
it hurts when we are unable to save every one
difficult place to work
Emergency Room RN (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2016
difficult place to work
unorganized; understaffed;
Overall; good place to start and learn all the basics.
Great team of nurses
Excellent place to work and grow with!
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 23, 2015
Coney island Hospital is filled with extremely intelligent staff. The Hospital is cleaner than most! We treat patients with the upmost respect and care. management is very caring and supportive. Excellent place to grow with. I am so honored and blessed to be part of this organization. I wouldn`t trade it for any other hospital.
Pros
Caring staff, Clean, intelligent healthcare workers.
Cons
can`t think of any!
Standard hospital environment
Comfort Specialist, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 19, 2015
It was ok. Everyone was very friendly, and they have a competent staff. I enjoyed interacting and helping patients as much as I could. Overall, its average.
Great as a resident doctor!
RESIDENT - DOCTOR OF PODIATRIC MEDICINE (DPM) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2015
Great as a resident doctor!
really profession and good environment to work
the most enjoyable part of the job - the surgical staffs.
Purchasing
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 27, 2015
Have learned a great deal from working in a hospital enviornment. I enjoy learning the aspects of purchasing medication for the different areas of the hospital. Unfortunately, with every pro there is a con.
Workplace has changed a lot since we have new management. We do not have a lunch room so we have to go an employees lounge which is used by the whole hospital. This would be fine if the lounge was kept in good condition. It is very unfortunate that this happened because we used to a tight nip group which made the work day more productive. I am not used to such politics since I come from a retail pharmacy.
Pros
Learning expirence
Cons
Lunch area
was not happy at all
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 12, 2015
Coney island hospital is a nice work place the dietary department has been the worst food service and management and just all around very bad for me.
Pros
helping people and being able to put smiles on their face in the time of need
Cons
personal issues
short but sweet
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2015
I would recommend anyone to work here. the work environment is so full of energy and positive. Enjoyed working in different units and meeting different residents throughout my work period.
Pros
great work environment, busy
good place to work
stationary Engineer (Current Employee) –  brooklyn,new yorkSeptember 9, 2015
good to their employees benefits is good job security care about their employee you can advance in the company easy the work is enjoyable
great place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 26, 2015
great atmosphere in the ER, a lot of team work between nurses as well as MD's and PA's. Boss is fantastic and down to earth, shows a consistent presence with in the ER.
Balanced structured work environment.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 2, 2015
Although I wasn't getting paid and that ultimately was the reason I stopped volunteering altogether. It was a learning experience the 2 years I worked there. I worked in Central Supply, I did mainly stock which was enjoyable. The hardest part was doing beyond what was expected of me knowing I wouldn't be compensated for my efforts; even though I enjoyed all the compliments.
Pros
Free meal vouchers.
Cons
No pay because you're a volunteer.

Coney Island Hospital Reviews by Location