We are looking for a data engineer to lead the development of our real-time stream-processing architecture built to handle the massive amount of data generated by the "Internet of Things".
This is an integral role that will shape both Connect HQ's technology and the company as a whole. The person in this role will be responsible for designing, implementing and maintaining Connect HQ’s backend data architecture and core APIs. In addition, this hire will play a critical part in building the technical organization and culture of the company, including influencing other key technical hires.
Some of the role's responsibilities will include:
- Evaluate and select core technologies
- Develop near and long-term data platform roadmap
- Design and implement core data APIs and architecture
- Help shape the data engineering team and culture
We are a fast-moving team working in a rapidly-growing space. The successful candidate will thrive off the day-to-day of working in a startup. She will enjoy benefits such as having immediate and long-lasting impact, creating something from nothing, and having significant upside, while understanding that it also comes with unique challenges such as rapid changes, little oversight, and low tolerance for shenanigans.
Required Skills, Experience:
- 4+ years as a data engineer designing and building scalable, low-latency data processing platforms
- Extensive experience working with big data technologies and processes (e.g. Hadoop, Cassandra, map-reduce, etc)
- OOP and scripting experience (e.g. Java, Python, Node.js)
- Experience working with large volumes of both structured and unstructured data
- Experience with message queue and pub-sub patterns (e.g. Apache Kafka, Rabbit MQ, etc)
Required Personal Qualities:
- Able to adapt quickly to a changing environment and requirements
- Can build for both the short- and long-term, clearly articulating the tradeoffs to other teammembers
- Calm under pressure and not easily frustrated
- Enjoys teaching technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
Additional qualities we are looking for:
- Experience with real-time processing frameworks (e.g. Apache Storm, AWS Kinesis, etc)
- Has supported an API as a product
- Previous early start up experience
- Open source contributions
- Comfort with public speaking
- Active in big data community
- Strong personal network
- Leadership experience
- Good sense of humor
- BS, MS, Ph.D. in computer science or related field
- Big data training/certifications
Competitive salary, equity, benefits.
About Connect HQ:
Connect HQ is taking the massive data output from IoT (Internet of Things) devices and putting it to action. We solve the top problems for companies in the IoT space - data analysis, systems integration, and value chain collaboration. We are a venture-backed and founded by an experienced team with multiple exits.