CREATIVE DIRECTOR NEEDED TO BUILD WORLD-CLASS DESIGN STUDIO IN SILICON BEACH
Who We Are
Connect Marketing is an established marketing firm focusing on the high tech and medical tech industry segments. Founded in 1989, and with offices in San Francisco, Utah and Phoenix, we have helped more than 400 companies ranging from start-ups to multi-billion dollar brands make their mark.
We launched Connect Studios three short years ago to fulfill the need our clients have to tell their stories visually in a Web 2.0 world. Today we produce a high volume of videos, infographics, interactive web properties and mobile apps for our clients.
Our success has created a challenge: We need access to the best talent we can find for visual storytelling. In response to this, we are launching Connect Studios Silicon Beach. Our goal for this office, based in the Venice/Silicon Beach area, will be to produce the best visual storytelling our industry has to offer.
To do this we need to start with one, key player: A World-class creative director. This person will report directly to the founder of Connect Marketing, a 35 year industry veteran who is moving to the area to head-up this new effort.
This is a ground-floor opportunity. We are building a new way of telling visual stories for some of the most exciting clients in these high-growth, lucrative industries. As creative director you will take our existing studio to a new level by developing our visual style, building new design processes and building and mentoring a world-case team of visual storytellers.
Who Are We Looking For?
The person we want will have the following characteristics:
- Design training and experience. Everything we do at Connect Studios begins and ends with design. We employ the very best illustrators, layout professionals, animators, videographers, editors and so on, but none of that matters without design.
We take this seriously and need a creative director who has formal training, and at least 10 years experience in design.
- Illustration. The core of much of what we do is illustration (infographics, animation, etc.), so illustrators are a core part of our team. As creative director you will need to lead the illustrators and some experience with and a talent for illustration is key to this leadership.
- Ability to tell visual stories. Good artists are easy to find. People who can tell a story visually are not. We need someone who approaches each project from a “story-first” approach, and lets the medium, design, and execution follow from there.
- Timeline experience. Much of our work involves a “timeline” – video, animation, etc. Designing for static images is important, but when you add a timeline, there are new dimensions you need to consider. Pace, flow, blocking out the story are just some of the skills one learns when working with video and animation. We need a creative director who has experience working with these kinds of “timeline” projects.
- Mentoring skills. We need someone who can build and motivate a team of talented ‘right-brain’ professionals. This requires equal parts teacher, mentor, coach, and sage.
- Organizational skills. Our clients have no patience for missed deadlines. We need a creative director that understands the importance of deadlines and has the discipline to manage to and meet them.
- Comfort with an Outsource Model. The old model of design was a low-volume, high-price model. Today our clients demand a high-volume, low-price model. For example, in the old model a client might want two videos a year and a $75,000 per video budget was fine. Today they want 50 videos and are willing to spend $10,000 each.
To accommodate this demand we have pioneered a unique studio model that works extremely well. All storytelling happens inside the studio (art-direction, storyboards, wireframes, etc.). We then use a network of very talented offshore outsources to execute these designs.
For example, we are currently working on a set of 20 one-minute videos for a major consumer brand. Our internal team has developed the basic look, written all scripts and storyboards, and will do final edits. We are working with three key illustrators in Germany, Italy and the Ukraine, and 10 key animators in six countries to grind out the actual work – all to our storyboard specifications.
As a result, we’ll deliver 20 videos in 12 weeks at a cost roughly 85% less expensive than their ad agency quoted. Our best guess is that we’ll do so at higher margins than their agency, and with fewer all-nighters and weekends.
What Is In It For You?
This is an intense job – you will work very hard. Why consider it?
As creative director you will set the tone for a studio that does exciting work for a wide range of clients who are at the top of their industries. You will help build a new design model. You will create a new visual storytelling style. Your career will advance at a fast clip. You will mentor a wide group of talented professionals and help them launch their careers.
And, we will pay you well.
Interested? Send us your resume and portfolio and let’s talk.