CONNECTICUT CHILDREN'S MEDICAL CENTER Employee Reviews

Specific to the ED
ED Employee (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 14, 2015
Job Work/Life Balance:
The schedule employees work changes drastically and frequently to meet department goals. Number of weekends, selection of weekends and weekdays, shift days/hours, and schedule requirements can and will change. Employees are expected to adhere to those changes with no regard to the impact to their lives.

Compensation/benefits:
Every year compensation and benefits diminish. There is only one insurance company to pick from, the insurance plans are terribly expensive, copays are high, no vision. CCMC no longer offers Education Reimbursement. Free Parking.

Job Security/ Advancement:
Advancement is only possible through a combination of self-funded education and seeking employment in a different department or institution.

Management:
A nurse supervises Patient Care Assistants, Emergency Technicians, and Spanish Medical Interpreters. There are no team leads. Supervising nurse does not speak a second language.

Culture:
Employees are disrespectful. Minority employees and minority patient families bear the brunt of this. Nurses are the main culprits but not all nurses and not only nurses. The behavior is allowed and it is an additional source of stress.
Wonderful Work Place
Research Intern, Pain Management (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 31, 2016
Has a great environment and a wonderful staff.

The staff is very helpful, informative, and has great patience for/with new comers.

Great work pace, there is always stuff to do and one does not feel over loaded.
Very friendly work environment
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 28, 2015
A free standing hospital that strives to do everything they can for children. It's a very different and unique place to work, warm and friendly but yet a very busy place. My co-workers were friendly and management was too. You don't get the feeling that management is above you. They are really down to earth. I love that everything is about children. The benefits are very good. I learned a lot while I worked there.
Work
Research Intern, Pain Management (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 3, 2016
flexibility with hours and shifts
great staff and environment
though there are moments of lull one can always find something to do
great especially during the holidays (ie Halloween), work becomes rather fun and enjoyable.
CT Children's
Patient Care Assistant/MS6 Float Pool (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 6, 2013
I loved working for CT Children's. A typical night at work was met by a group of other PCA's and RN's who enjoyed where they were. We each helped each other out and worked as a team. Floating from unit to unit within a few hours was not always ideal, but was needed and required to get the job done.
The hardest part of the job was seeing sick and dying pediatric patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing them smile and knowing you somehow made their stay that much more comfortable.
Cons
Not guaranteed a raise each year.
Great enjoyable job if you can handle constant change.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Hartford CTApril 6, 2015
Great job and awesome coworkers. management needs to calm down a little but other than that its a great place to work. Start with benefits. Do not have to deal with a third party company like many hospitals.
Benefits
Cons
Security is still new to the hospital so still working through some bugs
A great place for kids, but a place always in termoil
Lead Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Hartford, Ct.December 27, 2014
There is constant talk about cuts and hiring freezes as well as poor benefits.I loved what I was doing there for the kids, but the management got too big for their britches. There is NO back up from the HR department for it's staff, so management can roam freely.
Pros
rewarding work, small workplace
Cons
fear of cutbacks, bad management
Retail Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 7, 2016
The owners are very friendly. Besides the food being top notch the owners make you feel like part of the family. Great pay and great customer service
Supportive staff
Pediatric Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 15, 2012
Working at CCMC has been a great experience. I would have stayed, but moved across the country with my husband for his job. The staff is supportive and there are a lot of opportunities to grow as a clinician.
Pros
continuing education opportunities, supportive staff, diverse population
Cons
salary, raises, and hours
Productive and rewarding place to work
Medical Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 10, 2012
Set up exam rooms
Work with surgeons and patients to schedule surgery dates
Worked with families and children via telephone and in person
Pros
fundraisers for children, toy drives, ability to put smiles on children's faces
Great experience to learn pediatrics
Tech (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 7, 2014
Excellent care the kids receive. Poor teamwork amongst staff. Management minimally supportive.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Benefits are expensive, they are cutting wages
The CT Children's Medical Center is dedicated to making the Children in Connecticut the Healthiest.
Medical Education Manager (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 14, 2014
On Monday I begin by going over my To Do list and setting priorities. I review the progress of existing educational activties, check voice mail, then check the calendar to refresh my memory on the upcoming week. I then like to meet with my staff early, mid and late week to discuss priorities, check progress, and then prepare for the week. I want to make sure, as much as possible, that we can all dedicate time to our tasks to move educational activities and projects forward. Focusing on organization and priorities first thing every morning contributes to successful mangement.

What I have learned to be a successful manager are the following:
Talk regularly to my employees; trust my employees; judge people myself, not by what others say; make and follow through on decisions. People respect leaders for doing something rather not following through; realize that management qualifications does not necessarily make you a better manager, its the hands on experiences and how these experiences are managed; most importantly, never be afraid to say 'I don't know' and then say 'I will get an answer for you' and committ to it.

The best part about my job is having a genuine care and concern for the people I work with. Having this kind of relationship is priceless. It creates a much better environment, one that is more condusive to to a positive atmosphere where people are willing to roll up their sleeves and accomplish great things as a team. When people are made to feel significant they are more willing to take risk. However, I am aware I cannot go beyond professional boundaries,
  more... just a real genuine care and concern for your people and their wellfare. There is nothing in particular that I find overly difficult in what I do as a manager. Being dedicated and proactive as a manager contributes to managing situations and conflicts effectively.  less
Pros
Several Pros: avid interest in what the employees have to say, frequently survey the employees to obtain their feedback and opinions, employee benefits, communications to employees, embrace diversity, free parking.
Cons
Not many leadership advancement opportunities.
Love working with the children
Healthcare Access / Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 10, 2015
Would like there to be more room for advancement. Working with the Children is great! Plenty of Vacation time, and paid days off. Short breaks during day . Very busy work pace, but makes the day go bye fast. Over all a enjoyable place to work. Always changing and improving which keeps the day interesting. Plenty of Training for any job your interested in.
Pros
Nice Coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
Overall, a good place to work
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Gastroenterology, Hepatology and NutritionFebruary 18, 2015
I have been fortunate to work in CCMC's Specialty Group, especially in the Gastroenterology practice. Over the past couple of years, there have been many changes at CCMC which have caused feelings of concern.
I've learned so much over the past eight years, I couldn't begin to create a list.
We have a fantastic practice manager and my co-workers are top notch.
There really isn't a difficult part to my work. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such amazing people. Our GI doctors are the best.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Upper management
Organization's Commitment to Career Growth and employee development
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 3, 2014
This organization has been amazing to work for for going on nine years. They however are feeling the pressure of corporate healthcare changes. They are struggling to find a balance of staffing while allowing their staff to then maintain a work life balance.
Pros
CCMC staff is one amazing family
Cons
Health Care Benefit package is quite costly
It's changed drastically
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 11, 2015
There have been changes made recently are based on the new retail technicians hired and not the experienced technicians that have been there three years or more. New techs are training new techs and it's causing errors and tension between staff members. Training is not consistent or well-planned. Basic math skills are a lack in the new techs yet they are allowed to do chemotherapy calculations. A good place to work, but ever since the lead tech walked, things have atrophied to a mass extent.
Secure Job
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTSeptember 23, 2015
Very lean department so a lot of security. Managers did not micromanage. Director of Information Services department and CIO are both very knowledgeable.
was very unfriendly the work enviroment was not friendly
Release of Information clerk (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 13, 2014
there was way to many opinions, without oversight unless you played the game, hard work had no part of this equation, loyalty only to yourself or upper management, look to play a lot of petty games including ratting on other employees to get hierarchy, not pleasant and HR did not help at all.
Tough environment
Outpatient Clinic Director (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTApril 8, 2015
Management turnover. Instability. Lack of leadership. Poor financials. People are great, but lack commitment to the organizational objectives. Poor growth. Silos.
Pros
Nice people, great facility, easy parking.
Cons
Instability, lack of leadership.
Great Coworkers
Nurse (Current Employee) –  HospitalMarch 30, 2015
No potential for growth. Great coworkers but despite "being for kids" management has made it very clear that your own family comes last.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CONNECTICUT CHILDREN'S MEDICAL CENTER. Our community is ready to answer.

CONNECTICUT CHILDREN'S MEDICAL CENTER Reviews by Location