CONNECTICUT HUMANE SOCIETY Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Productive and fun place to work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Westport, CTFebruary 21, 2016
Punch in and first start in the laundry room washing dishes. Also washing blankets, soft toys and other soft items in the washing machine. Operate the dryer. Fold laundry.

My co-workers seem very nice and helpful

Will have the opportunity to volunteer walking dogs, cuddling cats and other jobs that the supervisor wants of me in the near future.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Unpaid
Love for Critters
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJanuary 29, 2015
A typical day consisted of animal care and administrative/secretarial duties (e.g. answering phones).
Friendly people,fun job.
STAFF & AMBULANCE DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJanuary 4, 2015
Great work environment, very likable people including management. One drawback is ignorant people who mistreat animals then try to surrender them or who insist on adopting an animal not suitable for them. Another is when you have to assist in putting an animal down.
Pros
Fun job, good people
Cons
People who are cruel and misinformed or stubborn, putting down animals.
Nineteen years with this organization which was good.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTNovember 30, 2012
This was my first animal shelter that I had in the twenty one years. It came with all of the same issues as the other two would later on and made it a heart wrenching place to work at times. The staff was not open to making changes from what the previous manager had in place and over time were simple replaced to make much necessary changes and improve the conditions for the animals in the shelter.

Management lacked in that their belief systems did not agree with several of the district managers of the four districts.

Housing and utilities and a vehicle were part of the compensation package making this a wonderful experience and place to raise my family despite the hard times that came with this line of work.
It was a 24/7 position living and working on the same premises.
Pros
close to home.
Cons
it was a 24/7 position, difficult to separate work from your personal life.
Rewarding but Challenging
Director of Public Relations (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTMay 11, 2012
I will cherish my time at the CT Humane Society. I loved the day to day marketing/pr duties and having the opportunity to cuddle the pups and kittens while doing it was my dream come true. However, there were daily challenges with staff and moral. I was able to keep my department happy and productive but ultimately I decided to leave the organization when it was clear that I would be unable to help cause change for the better throughout the organization.