CONNECTIONS ACADEMY Employee Reviews

Learning Coach
Learning Coach (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 12, 2017
I was briefly a learning coach with Connections Academy. The experience was positive. Used this platform to help students with problem solving and learning.
Excellent cworkers
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 5, 2017
I absolutely love the people I work with. However, the department I work in only promotes within if you're a "yes man." The compensation is extremely low in comparison to other companies; the company has great benefits though.
Fun and relaxed workplace
Enrollment Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day would be inputting students enrollment documents. Taking calls from schools and parents ensuring documents were received.
Great place to work. Great group of people.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJanuary 22, 2017
My job was receiving documentation for students who wanted to attend a virtual school online. The students needed to produce documents such as the following: birth certificates, proof of residence, previous school records, ect. I had to make sure these documents were legal. I would make phone calls to these students if there was a problem with their documentation.

It was a learning experience in that I learned that there are all kinds of birth certificates and I learned all about the other documentation.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the people worked side by side. Everyone had a sense of humor and it broke up the monotony of the day.
Cons
Short breaks and short lunch breaks
Very fun
Document Verificastion Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 29, 2016
Lots of employee morale boosters. While the work is kind of boring, the reward of knowing you helped a child stay in school was very rewarding. Worked there for a temp position.
Virtual school for elementary and middle school students.
Executive Assistant/Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 8, 2016
Teachers are very caring about their students.
Benefits are pretty good.
Most of the work is via telephone, as it is a virtual school.
Love hearing the voices of the little kids over the phone.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunch break
Overall: Great
Academic Placement Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 27, 2016
I love working at Connections Academy. Great people, who are more like family. Must have excellent customer service skills, and must be proficient with Microsoft Office products. Full-Time/Part Time (during busy season). Corporate Office.
Pros
Full Benefits, Paid Vacation, 1 hour lunch break
Cons
Limited Time Off
Great place to work even though it was a temp
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2016
NO SALES PRESSURE JUST HELP THE CLIENTS. They constantly have free lunch and breakfast. Lots of 20-30 year olds. Casual attire. Clean building. Friendly management.
Pros
Free lunch, off saturdays
Fun workplace
Customer Service/Enrollment (Current Employee) –  FLORIDASeptember 24, 2015
high call volume, very nice parents to work with sometimes, have to be well focused a follow state related guidelines. work can be hectic on some days.
Excellent company
STUDENT TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 4, 2015
Come into work sign into your phone and computer. Start taking calls at 9am. Get a break roughly 2 hours later and then lunch maybe an hour and half after that. Get another break 2 hours after lunch and then log out of phones and computers at 6pm. This is an excellent company to work for hands down. They take care of you and movement within the company is guaranteed. Co-workers are great and benefits and raises are also good.
Becoming a learning couch was a rewarding experience.
Learning Coach (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 15, 2015
As a learning couch I home schooled my special needs child who was heavily bullied in the normal school district. We would start the day around 8:30 after his siblings were off to school. The first year was the hardest because he had to work slower, therefore causing an extended school day. He would work for about 12 hours with my help. I had to read to him because he had trouble pronouncing many words. We went over every subject together when he was in 5th and 6th grade. I communicated daily with his special ed teachers about tests, quizzes, written projects, and science projects. The hardest part of the job was the long hours for both of us, but we were dedicated to getting back on track. I think the most enjoyable part was watching him excel academically and not be afraid anymore. There were also many small field trips we were able to attend for learning experiences.
Pros
my child succeeded with honor role. the help was always there, the school is all about the child
Cons
time consuming for a special needs child and myself
Fast-paced work environment.
ADMINISTRATOR, STATE TESTING (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 18, 2015
Fast-paced work environment.Data-driven project management. Customer focused.Caring employees. Supportive management.
Highly professional staff, supportive management, STRONG work culture
Home Office Teacher, Nationally (Current Employee) –  MNMarch 28, 2015
This is my 2nd year working as a corporate sub, nationally, from home as a virtual English/LA teacher. My manager is FANTASTIC! I've worked for several CA schools now, and they all have positive leadership that encourages teacher involvement in decisions and growth as professionals.

This year, I have worked very little as a sub, which is a big drop after working nearly the entire year last year. Unless one is willing to relocate, permanent positions are generally restricted to availability of state employee resides in.

The corporate sub pay is higher than a daily sub rate in most districts, but is now lower than what other districts pay for long-term subs. (There is a nice little stipend each month to help cover tech requirements and pre-placement meetings.)

CA offers interesting and relevant professional development, but does not connect clock hours to sessions. Having CEUs attached would be most helpful, as staff would not have to hope that area relicensure committees would accept the work done in CA pd courses.
Pros
Positive management, growth focus, exciting work culture
Cons
Sub positions do not qualify for benefits, no CEU access, work may be limited at times
Connections Academy
Online Public School Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 17, 2015
I love being able to be at home with my kids and help them with their schoolwork. I am able to make sure they are understanding assignments and getting work turned in accurately.
Great atmosphere for contractors
Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 5, 2014
I did some contracting work for Connections, and I'm still working on a project for them. Project management is very personable and responsive. Assigned deadlines were flexible, and totally reasonable. My position was remote, so I can't really speak to the office atmosphere. However, everyone I spoke to and worked with were generally nice, affable folks.

The only glitch that sticks out in my mind is that Connections has become a bit bureaucratic since it was purchased by Pearson Education. In a sense, there is too much oversight on projects; there are too many hands on every single contractor assignment. This really slows down progress, and the ability for contractors to advance to their next project.
Pros
Work from home, flexible deadlines, reasonable compensation, great people
Cons
Bureaucratic, clunky, slow moving business entity
Nice Place to work
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 14, 2013
Its always another day to learn at Connections. Challenges are always presented to an advisor as situations maybe very simple or really complicated
Pros
Overtime
Cons
not very flexible
Fun and Supportive place to work with opportunity if overtime
Enrollment Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 10, 2013
Connections Academy is a virtual online school for students enrolling from grades k-12 in various states. A normal day for me includes processing documents and communicating with Caretakers of what is needed to complete enrollment. Everyone is given their own task and documents to process. The hardest part is when you have caretakers that are confused or do not understand why we are required certain information for enrollment, and we have to explain to them why it is needed. I enjoy speaking with caretakers, mostly when I am calling to complete the enrollment process and they are excited to get their student started in our school.
Pros
Hour lunches, benefits (health, dental, vision)
Great company rapidly expanding and appreciates all employees
Enrollment Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 21, 2013
I started working for this company through a temp agency and less than a year after the assignment was complete came on as a full time employee. I can honestly say this was one of the best companies I have ever had the privilege to work for. The company is rapidly expanding nationwide, yet still takes the time to show their appreciation for all of their employees. I worked in a small group dealing with incoming enrollment documents, deadlines and busy season was extremely hectic but our team and supervisors made the time more enjoyable and less chaotic than it would have been. While in any work environment you will experience some setbacks or disagreements, but even with that said, I still enjoyed this company and team the most. I left on a great note and still keep in touch with them to this day.
Might be good for a first job out of college...
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 7, 2013
Few opportunities for advancement. Very low starting salary, and after promotions, people still make a salary that classifies as low-income.

The general level of morale is low. People who are talented and motivated tend to move on to other jobs outside the company. Most employees function at lowest-common-denominator level. As the company grows, they seem to be hiring for quantity instead of quality.
Pros
You can wear casual clothes to work.
Cons
Not enough pay.
Great place to work!
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 25, 2013
I worked with CA when it was going through it's biggest growing pains and I was able to grow with them. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, my co-workers, even the management. With any job you have your stressful times but I always felt supported. I would recommend working here!