CONNECTIONS ACADEMY Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent company
STUDENT TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 4, 2015
Come into work sign into your phone and computer. Start taking calls at 9am. Get a break roughly 2 hours later and then lunch maybe an hour and half after that. Get another break 2 hours after lunch and then log out of phones and computers at 6pm. This is an excellent company to work for hands down. They take care of you and movement within the company is guaranteed. Co-workers are great and benefits and raises are also good.
Overall: Great
Academic Placement Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 27, 2016
I love working at Connections Academy. Great people, who are more like family. Must have excellent customer service skills, and must be proficient with Microsoft Office products. Full-Time/Part Time (during busy season). Corporate Office.
Pros
Full Benefits, Paid Vacation, 1 hour lunch break
Cons
Limited Time Off
Great place to work even though it was a temp
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2016
NO SALES PRESSURE JUST HELP THE CLIENTS. They constantly have free lunch and breakfast. Lots of 20-30 year olds. Casual attire. Clean building. Friendly management.
Pros
FREE LUNCH, off saturdays
Cons
Highly professional staff, supportive management, STRONG work culture
Home Office Teacher, Nationally (Current Employee) –  MNMarch 28, 2015
This is my 2nd year working as a corporate sub, nationally, from home as a virtual English/LA teacher. My manager is FANTASTIC! I've worked for several CA schools now, and they all have positive leadership that encourages teacher involvement in decisions and growth as professionals.

This year, I have worked very little as a sub, which is a big drop after working nearly the entire year last year. Unless one is willing to relocate, permanent positions are generally restricted to availability of state employee resides in.

The corporate sub pay is higher than a daily sub rate in most districts, but is now lower than what other districts pay for long-term subs. (There is a nice little stipend each month to help cover tech requirements and pre-placement meetings.)

CA offers interesting and relevant professional development, but does not connect clock hours to sessions. Having CEUs attached would be most helpful, as staff would not have to hope that area relicensure committees would accept the work done in CA pd courses.
Pros
Positive management, growth focus, exciting work culture
Cons
Sub positions do not qualify for benefits, no CEU access, work may be limited at times
Becoming a learning couch was a rewarding experience.
Learning Coach (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 15, 2015
As a learning couch I home schooled my special needs child who was heavily bullied in the normal school district. We would start the day around 8:30 after his siblings were off to school. The first year was the hardest because he had to work slower, therefore causing an extended school day. He would work for about 12 hours with my help. I had to read to him because he had trouble pronouncing many words. We went over every subject together when he was in 5th and 6th grade. I communicated daily with his special ed teachers about tests, quizzes, written projects, and science projects. The hardest part of the job was the long hours for both of us, but we were dedicated to getting back on track. I think the most enjoyable part was watching him excel academically and not be afraid anymore. There were also many small field trips we were able to attend for learning experiences.
Pros
my child succeeded with honor role. the help was always there, the school is all about the child
Cons
time consuming for a special needs child and myself
Great atmosphere for contractors
Curriculum Developer (Current Employee) –  RemoteApril 5, 2014
I did some contracting work for Connections, and I'm still working on a project for them. Project management is very personable and responsive. Assigned deadlines were flexible, and totally reasonable. My position was remote, so I can't really speak to the office atmosphere. However, everyone I spoke to and worked with were generally nice, affable folks.

The only glitch that sticks out in my mind is that Connections has become a bit bureaucratic since it was purchased by Pearson Education. In a sense, there is too much oversight on projects; there are too many hands on every single contractor assignment. This really slows down progress, and the ability for contractors to advance to their next project.
Pros
work from home, flexible deadlines, reasonable compensation, great people
Cons
bureaucratic, clunky, slow moving business entity
revolving door unless you party with the boss
project assistant (Former Employee) –  baltimore, mdMay 8, 2013
I was passed over for several promotions and actively discouraged from applying for openings within the company. All of the positions I was passed over for went to people who had started work after me and had less education. The primary difference is that many of these people were chummy with the head of the department.

There is supposedly a policy in place that internal applicants will be given an interview, at least, as a courtesy, but I was never given an interview for any of the positions I applied for.

The position is a temporary one, but the nature of the work is such that it is essentially permanent. The result is that one never feels secure in the position but one is constantly being forced to endure speeches and meetings about the value of the company (and how valuable one is to the company). The combination of pay, demand (at certain times of the year the work is very stressful), curtailed benefits, and stress is atrocious. At least one former coworker told me it was the worst place she ever worked, and I agreed.

More than once I felt bullied or threatened by management, and I was lied to about policies and time off on several occasions.
Pros
eventually temps get some benefits, parking spot downtown
Cons
open office, stressful, low pay, poor management
Revolving door management and staff
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAMarch 10, 2013
This company has not taken into consideration what it costs to live in California. The flexibility it once offered is being taken away as well as the ability to work remotely. The perks, once offered, to compensate for the low salary are now going away. The best trait about the company are the current employees are great to work with and for but they will soon be gone because the culture is changing.
Pros
co workers, students, families
Cons
remote working being taken away and pay is below industry standard
Might be good for a first job out of college...
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 7, 2013
Few opportunities for advancement. Very low starting salary, and after promotions, people still make a salary that classifies as low-income.

The general level of morale is low. People who are talented and motivated tend to move on to other jobs outside the company. Most employees function at lowest-common-denominator level. As the company grows, they seem to be hiring for quantity instead of quality.
Pros
you can wear casual clothes to work.
Cons
not enough pay.
Fun workplace
Customer Service/Enrollment (Current Employee) –  FLORIDASeptember 24, 2015
high call volume, very nice parents to work with sometimes, have to be well focused a follow state related guidelines. work can be hectic on some days.
Looking to explore a new frontier.
Fulfillment Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2013
My typical work day requires me to do the same thing every day. This is issue resolution for materials sent to families and teachers. There is no variety throughout the day. I have learned a lot about logistics and shipping in my current position. The management staff did not take the time to learn the company before changes were made and implanted. My co-workers are very knowledgeable and are very dependent. We offer bounce ideas off of each to assist with different issues. The hardest part of my job is branching out into different areas of the company. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with others.
Pros
healthcare, co-workers, laid-back atmosphere, no dress code
Cons
no growth within department, recent company merge. departments are being eliminated.
Fun and Supportive place to work with opportunity if overtime
Enrollment Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 10, 2013
Connections Academy is a virtual online school for students enrolling from grades k-12 in various states. A normal day for me includes processing documents and communicating with Caretakers of what is needed to complete enrollment. Everyone is given their own task and documents to process. The hardest part is when you have caretakers that are confused or do not understand why we are required certain information for enrollment, and we have to explain to them why it is needed. I enjoy speaking with caretakers, mostly when I am calling to complete the enrollment process and they are excited to get their student started in our school.
Pros
hour lunches, benefits (health, dental, vision)
Fast-paced work environment.
ADMINISTRATOR, STATE TESTING (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 18, 2015
Fast-paced work environment.Data-driven project management. Customer focused.Caring employees. Supportive management.
Great place to work!
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COJune 25, 2013
I worked with CA when it was going through it's biggest growing pains and I was able to grow with them. I really enjoyed the atmosphere, my co-workers, even the management. With any job you have your stressful times but I always felt supported. I would recommend working here!
Great company rapidly expanding and appreciates all employees
Enrollment Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 21, 2013
I started working for this company through a temp agency and less than a year after the assignment was complete came on as a full time employee. I can honestly say this was one of the best companies I have ever had the privilege to work for. The company is rapidly expanding nationwide, yet still takes the time to show their appreciation for all of their employees. I worked in a small group dealing with incoming enrollment documents, deadlines and busy season was extremely hectic but our team and supervisors made the time more enjoyable and less chaotic than it would have been. While in any work environment you will experience some setbacks or disagreements, but even with that said, I still enjoyed this company and team the most. I left on a great note and still keep in touch with them to this day.
Connections Academy
Online Public School Learning Coach (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 17, 2015
I love being able to be at home with my kids and help them with their schoolwork. I am able to make sure they are understanding assignments and getting work turned in accurately.
A good experience in a new atmosphere.
General Chemistry Consultant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2013
At connections academy I was bought in as a chemistry consultant. Their goal was to create an interactive chemistry tool for online classes. I was given the task of creating a reaction list and performing the reaction while being video taped. The usual day started in the lab and deciding which of the reactions would be performed that day and the equipment would be necessary. I would then consult the film crew in the best way that it could be filmed. The job was most education in the aesthetic part of chemistry and how to change reactions to make them most view-able to a camera. I was given reign of a lab that was in connection with the academy at John's Hopkins University. The hardest part of the the job was determining the reactions possible given that I was only able to use the chemicals that were present at the lab already. While this was a challenge it was also enjoyable to work with the same group of chemicals and see how many different results could be obtained. I also enjoyed the opportunity to see reactions in a new manner in not looking for quantitative results but purely qualitative ones striving most for the ability for the reaction to come across on a camera.
Pros
working in my field, working with people, short work days
Cons
short term emplyment, no room for growth
Good learning experience
Curriculum Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDApril 10, 2012
I learned the importance of being thorough when putting together the curriculum for students. It was very rewarding knowing that I was such an integral part in the education of so many people
Nice Place to work
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 14, 2013
Its always another day to learn at Connections. Challenges are always presented to an advisor as situations maybe very simple or really complicated
Pros
overtime
Cons
not very flexible
Great place to work, nice people.
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 9, 2012
Enjoy working with students and parents, nice groups of students.
Pros
work at home.
Cons
all good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CONNECTIONS ACADEMY. Our community is ready to answer.