CONNECTIONS ACADEMY Employee Reviews

Focus on numbers, not students and teachers
Middle School Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  onlineDecember 19, 2017
At one point I had over 400 math students! All email and grading had to be done within 24 hours. Management would threaten to fire you or put you on performance plans if numbers were not met. Little room for autonomy or creativity. The other teachers were great, though.
Great Place!
Credential Compliance Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 2, 2017
This is a great place to work. The atmosphere is fairly relaxed but everyone seems to thoroughly enjoy their work. Being able to work at home definitely keeps employees happier and more productive.
Pros
Work at home days, no micromanagement
Professional atmosphere
Customer Care Representative (temp assignment) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 3, 2017
As a Customer Care Specialist, my duties included taking inbound phone calls from clients re: setting up for their classes. ie... receiving books, computer equipment, class supplies, class assignments, etc.
Pros
Meeting lots of people and assisting them with their edcuational needs
Cons
High volume of calls, followed by very low volume of calls
Ok Place to Work
Family Connections Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 20, 2017
Great salary and benefits for the position. Management can be disorganized which gets frustrating but other than that the work is easy and overtime is offered during the summer.
Wonderful place to work
After Effects Animator (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 19, 2017
Working as a contracted animator, I absolutely loved this job. They have an amazing team that works really well together. I do with that I could work here all the time, but it's only a seasonal contracted position.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Communication, Great Training
Cons
none.
Recently Started Working for the Company
School and Program Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 13, 2017
A typical day at work involves analyzing data and problem solving. In this position I have learned to use multiple platforms for research. My manager provides us with guidelines and then leaves us to complete our work without micro-managing. The hardest part of the job is finding new ways to achieve old tasks. The most enjoyable part of this job is completing projects that make an immediate impact on the company.
Pros
Remote after 90 days, tuition voucher program, plenty of time off
Cons
Outbound calls
Good
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJune 15, 2017
The company was a good company and I would o back. Good pay great people. Its sad I had to leave the job and relocate to another city. I am extremely grateful for opportunity.
Learning Coach
Learning Coach (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJune 12, 2017
I was briefly a learning coach with Connections Academy. The experience was positive. Used this platform to help students with problem solving and learning.
Excellent cworkers
Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 5, 2017
I absolutely love the people I work with. However, the department I work in only promotes within if you're a "yes man." The compensation is extremely low in comparison to other companies; the company has great benefits though.
Fun and relaxed workplace
Enrollment Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2017
A typical day would be inputting students enrollment documents. Taking calls from schools and parents ensuring documents were received.
Great place to work. Great group of people.
Agent (Former Employee) –  Margate, FLJanuary 22, 2017
My job was receiving documentation for students who wanted to attend a virtual school online. The students needed to produce documents such as the following: birth certificates, proof of residence, previous school records, ect. I had to make sure these documents were legal. I would make phone calls to these students if there was a problem with their documentation.

It was a learning experience in that I learned that there are all kinds of birth certificates and I learned all about the other documentation.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the people worked side by side. Everyone had a sense of humor and it broke up the monotony of the day.
Cons
Short breaks and short lunch breaks
Very fun
Document Verificastion Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 29, 2016
Lots of employee morale boosters. While the work is kind of boring, the reward of knowing you helped a child stay in school was very rewarding. Worked there for a temp position.
Virtual school for elementary and middle school students.
Executive Assistant/Manager (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 8, 2016
Teachers are very caring about their students.
Benefits are pretty good.
Most of the work is via telephone, as it is a virtual school.
Love hearing the voices of the little kids over the phone.
Benefits
Cons
Short lunch break
Overall: Great
Academic Placement Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 27, 2016
I love working at Connections Academy. Great people, who are more like family. Must have excellent customer service skills, and must be proficient with Microsoft Office products. Full-Time/Part Time (during busy season). Corporate Office.
Pros
Full Benefits, Paid Vacation, 1 hour lunch break
Cons
Limited Time Off
Great place to work even though it was a temp
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 15, 2016
NO SALES PRESSURE JUST HELP THE CLIENTS. They constantly have free lunch and breakfast. Lots of 20-30 year olds. Casual attire. Clean building. Friendly management.
Pros
Free lunch, off saturdays
Fun workplace
Customer Service/Enrollment (Current Employee) –  FLORIDASeptember 24, 2015
high call volume, very nice parents to work with sometimes, have to be well focused a follow state related guidelines. work can be hectic on some days.
Excellent company
STUDENT TECHNICAL SUPPORT (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDSeptember 4, 2015
Come into work sign into your phone and computer. Start taking calls at 9am. Get a break roughly 2 hours later and then lunch maybe an hour and half after that. Get another break 2 hours after lunch and then log out of phones and computers at 6pm. This is an excellent company to work for hands down. They take care of you and movement within the company is guaranteed. Co-workers are great and benefits and raises are also good.
Becoming a learning couch was a rewarding experience.
Learning Coach (Former Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 15, 2015
As a learning couch I home schooled my special needs child who was heavily bullied in the normal school district. We would start the day around 8:30 after his siblings were off to school. The first year was the hardest because he had to work slower, therefore causing an extended school day. He would work for about 12 hours with my help. I had to read to him because he had trouble pronouncing many words. We went over every subject together when he was in 5th and 6th grade. I communicated daily with his special ed teachers about tests, quizzes, written projects, and science projects. The hardest part of the job was the long hours for both of us, but we were dedicated to getting back on track. I think the most enjoyable part was watching him excel academically and not be afraid anymore. There were also many small field trips we were able to attend for learning experiences.
Pros
my child succeeded with honor role. the help was always there, the school is all about the child
Cons
time consuming for a special needs child and myself
Fast-paced work environment.
ADMINISTRATOR, STATE TESTING (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 18, 2015
Fast-paced work environment.Data-driven project management. Customer focused.Caring employees. Supportive management.
Highly professional staff, supportive management, STRONG work culture
Home Office Teacher, Nationally (Current Employee) –  MNMarch 28, 2015
This is my 2nd year working as a corporate sub, nationally, from home as a virtual English/LA teacher. My manager is FANTASTIC! I've worked for several CA schools now, and they all have positive leadership that encourages teacher involvement in decisions and growth as professionals.

This year, I have worked very little as a sub, which is a big drop after working nearly the entire year last year. Unless one is willing to relocate, permanent positions are generally restricted to availability of state employee resides in.

The corporate sub pay is higher than a daily sub rate in most districts, but is now lower than what other districts pay for long-term subs. (There is a nice little stipend each month to help cover tech requirements and pre-placement meetings.)

CA offers interesting and relevant professional development, but does not connect clock hours to sessions. Having CEUs attached would be most helpful, as staff would not have to hope that area relicensure committees would accept the work done in CA pd courses.
Pros
Positive management, growth focus, exciting work culture
Cons
Sub positions do not qualify for benefits, no CEU access, work may be limited at times